HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(v23) Next Game: vs LAD | Tue, Jul 23 | 7pm ET/4pm PT | C.Capuano vs T.Redmond

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
  #601
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
this has been his approach all season. he doesn't take as many walks any more because he is so anxious trying to yank everything out of the ball park.

i'd rather jose hit 30HRs a season but give us a .400/.450 OBP. dude needs to learn to stop trying to hit everything out of the ball park in certain situations.

his 2011 season was the best because i remember him being very selective, rarely swung at a pitch he didn't like. he was awarded with 132 walks that season.
Exactly plus with EE swinging a good bat you have more runners on pressure on the pitcher.

Just poor approaches for certain guys

ryno23 is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #602
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
How bout them Jays folks!! Hahahaha.

I got laughed at for suggesting they'd go 81-81


Bravid Nonahan is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:30 PM
  #603
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
How bout them Jays folks!! Hahahaha.

I got laughed at for suggesting they'd go 81-81

At this rate, they might not get to 81 wins

KuleminFan41 is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
  #604
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 19,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
How bout them Jays folks!! Hahahaha.

I got laughed at for suggesting they'd go 81-81

Hindsight is always 20/20.

You would have been laughed at by a majority of scouts too. It's as bold of a guess as Chris Davis OPSing over 1.000.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
  #605
PanniniClaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
Time to sell high on some of the guys that have value.
Very few Jays have value but I agree = time to move on after watching a real team do all that we cannot. The Rays have starting pitching, clutch hitting and solid defense. All things the Jays do not.

Is there a reason why Lawrie is not in AAA trying to become a second baseman if that is indeed the intent? He dove for a grounder he did not need to, did not cover 1st on a bunt, could not get a possible double play ball out of his glove and then threw away a double play ball when he had actually made a nice pivot - that was half an innings work followed by a K in the bottom of the 3rd yesterday. Today he is at 3rd - He can't field and he cannot hit so if we are playing him in the majors that must mean we are packing it in for this year with is fine with me because although I have been holding out hope for another winning streak - this team does not have the goods.

PanniniClaus is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:36 PM
  #606
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20.

You would have been laughed at by a majority of scouts too. It's as bold of a guess as Chris Davis OPSing over 1.000.
In the end it doesn't matter who would have laughed at me. Most people used to laugh at Billy Beane's advanced stats, and now everyone swears by them.

Here's the point:

The Jays....suck.

I predicted it.

You people said I was stupid.

And now they suck.




Have a great day.

Bravid Nonahan is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:54 PM
  #607
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 29,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Very few Jays have value but I agree = time to move on after watching a real team do all that we cannot. The Rays have starting pitching, clutch hitting and solid defense. All things the Jays do not.

Is there a reason why Lawrie is not in AAA trying to become a second baseman if that is indeed the intent? He dove for a grounder he did not need to, did not cover 1st on a bunt, could not get a possible double play ball out of his glove and then threw away a double play ball when he had actually made a nice pivot - that was half an innings work followed by a K in the bottom of the 3rd yesterday. Today he is at 3rd - He can't field and he cannot hit so if we are playing him in the majors that must mean we are packing it in for this year with is fine with me because although I have been holding out hope for another winning streak - this team does not have the goods.
Lawrie needs to be sent down. He hasn't hit that well since he was called up for half a season.

canucksfan is online now  
Old
07-21-2013, 04:58 PM
  #608
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 19,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
In the end it doesn't matter who would have laughed at me. Most people used to laugh at Billy Beane's advanced stats, and now everyone swears by them.

Here's the point:

The Jays....suck.

I predicted it.

You people said I was stupid.

And now they suck.




Have a great day.
Fishing for reactions? You're as subtle in your arguments as Freebird.

I said Tampa Bay was going to still be a good team, and people said it's unlikely considering the pieces that they moved, but look what happened. I'm not out here trying to claim I'm the next prophet.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 05:38 PM
  #609
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 25,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Fishing for reactions? You're as subtle in your arguments as Freebird.

I said Tampa Bay was going to still be a good team, and people said it's unlikely considering the pieces that they moved, but look what happened. I'm not out here trying to claim I'm the next prophet.
I remember stating either here or the baseball section they'd have another good season and Myers would get recalled and hit above 300. Oh my god, time to gloat!!

Fact is, jays had the biggest boom or bust team in the league. Period. They needed alot to go right to win 90-95. Morrow will always have injury concerns, JJ has injury concerns (even healthy he's sucked), Jose was coming off a very bad injury, Romero was coming off a career worst season, Reyes has had hamstring problems, Melky coming off a suspension for PEDs, unsure if EE was a 1 year wonder. I mean that's alot of questions. But to be fair, nobody thought The bullpen would be THIS good or Lind would hit 350 the first 2 months. If you had told me that before the season, I would predict we'd be battling Sox/Rays for the division lead.

But while we needed alot to go right, the opposite happened. Bad hops, bad calls, bad bounces early on. Our defence sucked the first month. Some can be blamed on the artificial turf and guys like Emilo weren't used to it. Happ was our most reliable starter the first 2 months. Reyes missed considerable time, as did Lawrie. Lawrie has been brutal when he has played. Early on, Gibby was obsessed with "matchups". I specifically remember one game a lefty came out of the pen. Rasmus was 3 for 3, single double and a hr. he pinch hit Davis. He ended up striking out but even before that I hated it. If a guys hot, keep him in. Rasmus was in a groove.

It's just unfortunate the media gave us so much hype. Yes tons of potential but so much had to go right for it to happen

King Mapes is online now  
Old
07-21-2013, 05:59 PM
  #610
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I remember stating either here or the baseball section they'd have another good season and Myers would get recalled and hit above 300. Oh my god, time to gloat!!

Fact is, jays had the biggest boom or bust team in the league. Period. They needed alot to go right to win 90-95. Morrow will always have injury concerns, JJ has injury concerns (even healthy he's sucked), Jose was coming off a very bad injury, Romero was coming off a career worst season, Reyes has had hamstring problems, Melky coming off a suspension for PEDs, unsure if EE was a 1 year wonder. I mean that's alot of questions. But to be fair, nobody thought The bullpen would be THIS good or Lind would hit 350 the first 2 months. If you had told me that before the season, I would predict we'd be battling Sox/Rays for the division lead.

But while we needed alot to go right, the opposite happened. Bad hops, bad calls, bad bounces early on. Our defence sucked the first month. Some can be blamed on the artificial turf and guys like Emilo weren't used to it. Happ was our most reliable starter the first 2 months. Reyes missed considerable time, as did Lawrie. Lawrie has been brutal when he has played. Early on, Gibby was obsessed with "matchups". I specifically remember one game a lefty came out of the pen. Rasmus was 3 for 3, single double and a hr. he pinch hit Davis. He ended up striking out but even before that I hated it. If a guys hot, keep him in. Rasmus was in a groove.

It's just unfortunate the media gave us so much hype. Yes tons of potential but so much had to go right for it to happen
Why does a lot have to go right for Toronto, but not everything has to go right for TB or Baltimore? That's what I don't get it. How are those teams better than us? Why did Baltimore turn it around quicker than the Jays? Is everything going right for Baltimore 2 years in a row? Is everything going right for TB for the 5th season out of the last 6?

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
07-21-2013, 06:19 PM
  #611
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 25,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Why does a lot have to go right for Toronto, but not everything has to go right for TB or Baltimore? That's what I don't get it. How are those teams better than us? Why did Baltimore turn it around quicker than the Jays? Is everything going right for Baltimore 2 years in a row? Is everything going right for TB for the 5th season out of the last 6?
Because look at our starters. JJ and Morrow are rarely healthy. Then rely on a knuckleballer. Those 3 are risky. People questioned what Jose would be like post injury.

Given their rotation, I would say the Os needed alot to go right too. Then Davis happened.

Rays have a filthy rotation yearly. They are different.

King Mapes is online now  
Old
07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
  #612
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Why does a lot have to go right for Toronto, but not everything has to go right for TB or Baltimore? That's what I don't get it. How are those teams better than us? Why did Baltimore turn it around quicker than the Jays? Is everything going right for Baltimore 2 years in a row? Is everything going right for TB for the 5th season out of the last 6?
One thing both teams display now is leadership on the field and in the dugout. The Orioles were nothing to write home about until Showalter took over and instilled a way to play the game and how to act as a pro and play like a pro. Maddon has been doing that for how many years in Tampa.

AA has no ability to command this team as he is buddy buddy with the players hence his dealings with Escobar last year. He should have sent a message saying this is how hte Jays operate and we don't run that way and suspend him for the year. The players are not worried about losing their job or getting benched as this is AA fantasy baseball team and he is thrilled to be buddy buddy with pro ball players.

He hires a guy who has already failed once here instead of bringing in a proven winner or at least a hard nosed guys to instill a professional atmosphere on this team.

How much whining do the Orioles or Rays do to the umps or show them up.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:09 PM
  #613
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan
 
Swervin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,126
vCash: 500
Funny how good Corey Crawford was with Tampa and then **** the bed ever since.

Swervin81 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
  #614
habamillions
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: arnprior,ontario
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
lets go dodgers I guess. may as well go for the pick now

habamillions is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
  #615
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habamillions View Post
lets go dodgers I guess. may as well go for the pick now
Lets go Johnson! Show the scouts that you are healthy and still good and perhaps we can still get a good return for him.

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
  #616
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,712
vCash: 500
Oh cool, Josh Johnson had a good first inning.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
  #617
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,712
vCash: 500
Dang lefties are killing Ryu. Guessing that change-up kills those righties but not as effective on those lefties.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:18 PM
  #618
p.l.f.
use the force
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 46,564
vCash: 500
Bautista might make a good ballet dancer

p.l.f. is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:20 PM
  #619
habamillions
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: arnprior,ontario
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Lets go Johnson! Show the scouts that you are healthy and still good and perhaps we can still get a good return for him.
nah u won't. better to hold on to him and get him signed or gwt the pick for not signing him. too late to get something for him now. something good anyways

habamillions is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
  #620
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Pop up time lol

trellaine201 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:23 PM
  #621
DatsyukianDeke*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,038
vCash: 500
Kemp not in the lineup tonight ? He must be on his way to Milwaukee to get his MVP back.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  #622
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,824
vCash: 50
Does Buck seriously think these people are Dodger fans? I bet 90% of them couldn't name three other players on the team

theaub is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
  #623
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Clutch!

trellaine201 is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
  #624
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Funny how good Corey Crawford was with Tampa and then **** the bed ever since.
Can't catch

theaub is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:33 PM
  #625
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,712
vCash: 500
Josh Johnson, back to sucking in the 2nd inning.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.