Mark Jankowski invited to Team Canada's World Junior Camp

Old
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Savoie16

vCash: 500
Mark Jankowski invited to Team Canada's World Junior Camp

Hi everyone just thought id post this bit of news i found

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

So that makes 3 Flames invited to that camp ( Jankowski, Monahan and Poirier)

Last edited by Savoie16: 07-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Flames have no prospects.

Hopefully they all make the team.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post

Hopefully they're the only ones that make the team!11!!1

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:

Goodness gracious, I can't look at a single one of your comments, its like your avatar has an innate ability to make everything you say sound ridiculous.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
ALI

I'm surprised they picked rupert over Klimchuk

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Turboed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
I'm surprised they picked rupert over Klimchuk
You're obviously forgetting Klimchuk is a flames prospect now, and is therefore no good.

This is good to see, its hard to get a sense of how good janko is since the colleges don't put out the best recaps. Had a hard enough time figuring out what his injury situation was last year...

Turboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Goodness gracious, I can't look at a single one of your comments, its like your avatar has an innate ability to make everything you say sound ridiculous.
I think its just that everything I say sounds ridiculous

Not really surprised Klimchuk was passed on. Apparently he might have some injury issues at the moment.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Not really surprised Klimchuk was passed on. Apparently he might have some injury issues at the moment.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Flamesfan 26

Glad to have 3 Flames to possibly represent Cananda. It will give us some great insight on Jankowski if he makes the team. Not too many of us can see him play in college.

Flamesfan 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Man, if he makes the team and tears it up, HF would all have to eat crow big time.

Will be cheering for him.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:19 AM
TychoFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Man, if he makes the team and tears it up, HF would all have to eat crow big time.

Will be cheering for him.
If he tears it up, it's a small sample size, if he does poorly, he is a bust. HF likes to hate on us Flames.

TychoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

I'd just like him to have a good showing at camp, tbh the news couldnt have come at a better time for flames fans, he finds out about Team Canada, as he enters Dev Camp. Now he's in camp, excited about showing his stuff, as he knows people are finally watching him, I think, we are seeing the absolute best of what Janko has to offer, and I'm quite liking him. Hopefully, if he doesn't make the team, it motivates him to be even better, because he will have one more shot at it after this year. Kid is only 18, and he is fast, huge, he's got dirty hands, great playmaking vision, and from what I've heard about today, a hard ass shot.

People rag on Feaster, but is it at all possible he found a gem?

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Turboed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post

People rag on Feaster, but is it at all possible he found a gem?
Sure it is. You know all things considered he didn't have a bad year in providence. The team was pretty average. Look at the ages of all the other guys on his team as well. I think that is really telling. He obviously has the skill and from the sounds of it he's working hard. Skill + hard work + that frame is a pretty sick combination.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I think it's time to finally put the "Flames have no prospects" joke to rest. We're getting a lot of acknowledgement on the prospects board.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Turboed

I would really like to know how all these hf posters know how terrible Janko is. Would really like to watch some providence games next year...

Old
07-12-2013, 12:58 PM
MarkGio

Will any of these NCAA guys have an opportunity to jump right into the NHL? Can Janko get a chance at the Flames camp?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
I think it's time to finally put the "Flames have no prospects" joke to rest. We're getting a lot of acknowledgement on the prospects board.
To be fair, our prospect pool has changed quite a bit over the past year. Before it was pretty shallow. More high end guys and depth guys now. Poirier, Klimchuk, Monahan, Agostino, Cundari and Knight are all guys who have a good shot at becoming NHLers who have been added in the past year. Any pool that adds six guys who have a pretty good chance of playing took a big step forward.

Even a guy like Roy. I liked that pick a lot because you see the potential for him to be a good player. I'd sooner draft guys like that with top 4 upside than a guy who is more of a lock to be a #8 defenseman.

We've also hit on a couple of later picks. Guys like Gaudreau, Wotherspoon, Gilles, Brossoit and Arnold have all developed really nicely.

For this first time in more than a decade I'm excited about our prospect depth. I think we still need a franchise changer or two, but I see the depth organizations like LA and Chicago had a few years ago. We just need a Doughty/Kopitar or Kane/Toews combo. If we could get Reinhart/Ekblad this year and McDavid/Barzal/top defenseman next year I think we could be future contenders.

Bartschi, Monahan, Gaudreau, Poirier and Klimchuk all have top 6 potential too, so you have wiggle room for busts and disappointments.

Last edited by Double Dion: 07-12-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Turboed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Will any of these NCAA guys have an opportunity to jump right into the NHL? Can Janko get a chance at the Flames camp?
A big part of this is how much they value schooling. If you mean to play pre-season then i would guess no. Not sure what the rule is but i know if you play a single game in the chl you are no longer eligible for the ncaa. I dont know if you remember, but this year there was a bit of an up roar when Sieloff snubbed his college team to play for windsor instead. Might be able to go into training camp but they can NOT play any regular season games for sure, and my guess as i already stated would be no pre season either. Also not sure if the flames could even sell Jankowski or Gaudreau jerseys atm, since i believe making money off of an NCAA athlete is also a no no. Thats why college football jerseys dont have last names on the back, just numbers.

EDIT: Not sure if this is what youre asking but i ran with it anyways

Old
07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
TychoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Jankowski for Calder memorial? Didn't he say that he wanted to stay in the NCAA for another year?

TychoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboed View Post
A big part of this is how much they value schooling. If you mean to play pre-season then i would guess no. Not sure what the rule is but i know if you play a single game in the chl you are no longer eligible for the ncaa. I dont know if you remember, but this year there was a bit of an up roar when Sieloff snubbed his college team to play for windsor instead. Might be able to go into training camp but they can NOT play any regular season games for sure, and my guess as i already stated would be no pre season either. Also not sure if the flames could even sell Jankowski or Gaudreau jerseys atm, since i believe making money off of an NCAA athlete is also a no no. Thats why college football jerseys dont have last names on the back, just numbers.

EDIT: Not sure if this is what youre asking but i ran with it anyways
Did Gaudreau see any preseason action last year? If not, then I think it's doubtful that Djanko will this year, and it's probably due to the strict NCAA rules as you mentioned. I think he's pretty committed to developing in the NCAA.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Did Gaudreau see any preseason action last year? If not, then I think it's doubtful that Djanko will this year, and it's probably due to the strict NCAA rules as you mentioned. I think he's pretty committed to developing in the NCAA.
There was no preseason last year lol. And he didn't get any time the year before because he hasn't signed his ELC yet.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Turboed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
There was no preseason last year lol. And he didn't get any time the year before because he hasn't signed his ELC yet.
Come to think of it I dont think they are allowed to sign their ELC and then play in the ncaa. Maybe someone can correct me on this if im wrong.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
herashak

jank still has a ways to go, lets not get ahead of ourselves. he is atleast 2 years away from the nhl

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
For this first time in more than a decade I'm excited about our prospect depth. I think we still need a franchise changer or two, but I see the depth organizations like LA and Chicago had a few years ago. We just need a Doughty/Kopitar or Kane/Toews combo. If we could get Reinhart/Ekblad this year and McDavid/Barzal/top defenseman next year I think we could be future contenders.
With the addition of Monahan and who people have compared our other prospects to, maybe we are on our way

Gaudreau (Kane)
Toews (Monahan)
Baertschi (Hossa)

On the Jankowski going to NHL camp part, holy hell no. The kid seems to be having a decent development camp, but that is no indication that he is anywhere close to the NHL, even if he were to put up ppg numbers in the NCAA this year he'd still be looking at another year of AHL at the very least. The only way he is successful is if he isn't rushed, give him a couple more years before we start talking about bringing him in.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote