Ilya Kovalchuk retires

Old
07-11-2013, 07:40 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Oh, I'd be pissed. And I fully expect and understand and encourage Devils fans to be pissed.

I just mean that it's his life. He isn't a slave, and contract or not, he doesn't have to continue playing for a team he doesn't want to, nor does he have to play somewhere he doesn't want to.
I hear you but then don't sign that huge contract. Don't say your family is homesick and possibly sign a contract for double...and for crying out loud don't make this decision on July 11th when you have a 7 mil cap number and free agency started 6 days ago.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I hear you but then don't sign that huge contract. Don't say your family is homesick and possibly sign a contract for double...and for crying out loud don't make this decision on July 11th when you have a 7 mil cap number and free agency started 6 days ago.
The huge contract doesn't phase me, because you can change your mind or grow unhappy. Things happen.

The homesick thing might be totally legit. Who knows. I don't even care. If he values money, fine.

The timing is totally an ******* move. No question.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Can't believe people here are cool with this...especially the timing..wonder the reactions had it been the best Bruin.
What do you want, his head on a pike?

As for the timing, it was announced today, but Lamoriello and Kovalchuk both said he told him months ago. I would guess Kovalchuk spoke to him about it when he returned after the lockout, if not before.

I'm not cool with it from a selfish, emotional standpoint - I like watching Kovalchuk play, and I'll miss him. But I'm not going to blast him to kingdom come for this because I really don't know what went into his decision-making process, though I've lived overseas myself and can attest it's stressful in many ways.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

The famous TT "family" line of BS.

...When TT pulled that one, just at the right time, I said we hadn't seen the last of that trusty gambit. It's going to go in the players handbook.

Oh, he said family? Instant pass. ...please...

If you don't want to be stuck in Jersey for the next decade, and run off to the KHL (always there for any Russian player), whatever, but stop using the family line...it's pathetic and insulting to everyone...

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
http://triblive.com/mobile/4347351-9...burgh-contract

It's too bad he's part of such a horrible franchise

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What do you want, his head on a pike?

As for the timing, it was announced today, but Lamoriello and Kovalchuk both said he told him months ago. I would guess Kovalchuk spoke to him about it when he returned after the lockout, if not before.

I'm not cool with it from a selfish, emotional standpoint - I like watching Kovalchuk play, and I'll miss him. But I'm not going to blast him to kingdom come for this because I really don't know what went into his decision-making process, though I've lived overseas myself and can attest it's stressful in many ways.
No just some accountability which you never seem to ask for from players.....

Old
07-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post

...When TT pulled that one, just at the right time, I said we hadn't seen the last of that trusty gambit. It's going to go in the players handbook.

If you don't want to be stuck in Jersey for the next decade, whatever, but stop using the family line...it's pathetic and insulting to everyone...
Why is it pathetic and insulting?

Russia's his home. He's got a couple of young kids. Is it impossible to believe that he wants them to grow up in Russia, with their grandparents and the rest of their extended family close by?

Of course he'll make money. Lots of it. Does that make wanting to be home less legitimate? I don't get it. He could have stayed in New Jersey and made money.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
No just some accountability which you never seem to ask for from players.....
Why should Ilya Kovalchuk be accountable to me?

Old
07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Quote:

Russia's his home. He's got a couple of young kids. Is it impossible to believe that he wants them to grow up in Russia, with their grandparents and the rest of their extended family close by?

Of course he'll make money. Lots of it. Does that make wanting to be home less legitimate? I don't get it. He could have stayed in New Jersey and made money.
I just find it funny that anytime a player says family (almost always said while trying to get out of something ) it has to be true. Even if there are many other factors that could simply make this a selfish decision. Players do it all the time...it's the thing to say...a free out...its neat and tiddy and works...

And disrespectful. Not only to the people that don't give you insta-pass and look at the other elements in play, but mostly to your family who you've used to lie. Just have the ba**s to tell more or less the truth...show people some respect...

and yeah, I'm not buying family as the real issue. ...nahh...

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Kovalchuk and Ovie made it clear during the lockout that escrow was going to be a major factor to them

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h
Martin Brodeur called Ilya Kovalchuk's decision to leave Devils "a shocker." Knew he was upset about escrow but didn't think he'd leave NHL.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h
Lamoriello actually admitted today that after lockout ended Kovalchuk thinking about staying in Russia.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h
What he said. RT @cotsonika: NHL will let Kovalchuk leave for KHL because it's Devils' decision. Had Devils fought it, NHL would fight it.

No secret to the Devils...they knew what was coming

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Pretty surprising news.

He was a beast to watch. Absolutely incredible player. Bad for the league to lose him. Just like all those wasted years in Atlanta.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:28 PM
WBC8

Quote:

So having a contract means nothing to you? I mean, if his family is ill, but all means take the year off and take care of them, but to say, "Meh, i don't feel like it" and then more then likely sign somewhere else at home for double? Really? At least your players do no wrong spreads across the entire NHL...Kudos...

Old
07-11-2013, 08:31 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
So having a contract means nothing to you? I mean, if his family is ill, but all means take the year off and take care of them, but to say, "Meh, i don't feel like it" and then more then likely sign somewhere else at home for double? Really? At least your players do no wrong spreads across the entire NHL...Kudos...
If a player did something that left the Bruins holding the financial bag, I bet it would be a bit different.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:17 PM
EvilElf63

I can't imagine how much more comfortable I'd be in my own country, surrounded by countrymen speaking my language, making more money. But that seems like the kind of thing I'd have thought about before I signed away over a decade of my services.

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Please quit with that myth, OK? I have never said such a thing, ever. It's amazing how people can leap to conclusions over comments on a message board.

You might note I have not endorsed what Kovalchuk did. Nor am I up in arms about it. I like watching Kovalchuk play, and I'll miss him, but I really don't care enough to go off the deep end about it. It's his life, and his decision.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
If a player did something that left the Bruins holding the financial bag, I bet it would be a bit different.
Tim Thomas already did. And I can tell you right now my reaction was similar. He's an adult who made his own decision, for his own reasons. I don't know what those reasons were, so I didn't pronounce judgement (yea or nay) then, nor will I now.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Oh, I'd be pissed. And I fully expect and understand and encourage Devils fans to be pissed.

I just mean that it's his life. He isn't a slave, and contract or not, he doesn't have to continue playing for a team he doesn't want to, nor does he have to play somewhere he doesn't want to.
Funny how the players can just quit wen they want to...
If the owners dont want a player, they still have to pay them since the player's have a sign contract.

One way... the players way.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Bruinsfolife

Bye bye Kovalchuk. I'm not sure who floated more, you or Alex Kovalev.

Bruinsfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:17 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post

If you don't want to be stuck in Jersey for the next decade, and run off to the KHL (always there for any Russian player), whatever, but stop using the family line...it's pathetic and insulting to everyone...
Kovalchuk wasn't unmoveable if he wanted to just not play in New Jersey. He gains nothing from this besides going home to his home country... and family?

Seems quite the opposite of the whole Russian M.O... he had his guaranteed millions here, and gave it up to go home. Most Russians go home to make the millions that weren't going to get handed to them here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:29 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
Its a pet peeve of mine as well.

Its not racism, its called xenophobia. Still, its not wrong to say its a risk signing Russian players because its true. KHL is a big thing over there.
Agreed 100%. It's neither xenophobia or racism- it's KHLaphobia, and if I were an NHL GM, you can bet your last buck I'd be inclined to stay away from the Russkies these days. Count me in the camp that thinks this is a pretty lousy move by Kovalchuk.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Doubtful that the Bruins would have a player like Kovalchuk at all nevermind on a deal like that.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Agreed 100%. It's neither xenophobia or racism- it's KHLaphobia, and if I were an NHL GM, you can bet your last buck I'd be inclined to stay away from the Russkies these days. Count me in the camp that thinks this is a pretty lousy move by Kovalchuk.
Hmmmmm......no Russians on current B's roster......hmmm...who was that prospect the B's tried to move for Iggy....hmmmm.......

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

If I was a Devils fan I'd be pissed but I'm a Bruins fan so this is good news, it weakens an eastern foe. The Devils owner is probably happy to, that team is in financial trouble.

Pretty crappy move here by Kovalchuk considering not long ago he signed a deal for 15 years or whatever it was.

It's his right I suppose, I agree you have to be wary of signing Russian players they can leave anytime to an attractive situation.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Doubtful that the Bruins would have a player like Kovalchuk at all nevermind on a deal like that.
He has too much natural talent, they would have traded him long ago.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
hammerwielder

[see corrected post below]

Last edited by hammerwielder: 07-12-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: quote corrected
hammerwielder is offline   Reply With Quote