HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

So Kovalchuk just retired

Old
07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
specialized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Can you imagine If Malkin would announce his retirement right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
MOD NOTICE: I am deleting every stupid post I read that speculates on "the next player to leave" because they're Russian. Outside fans that come in here and say something about Malkin leaving from this point will be infracted for trolling, so don't do it.
You missed one.

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Dude's never impressed me apart from his skill. He's 30 and still hasn't bought into playing a two-way game or giving a reasonable effort every night. He called out Crosby which maybe wasn't unwarranted but from a doofus like Kovalchuk, it was hypocritical. He's also a ****in doughboy. I didn't understand why Lamoriello put so much effort, faith and money into someone that is the complete opposite of what the Devils have always been about.

Never hated him, but its pretty hard to like him too. Good luck to him I guess.
On the contrary, I think Kovalchuk became a much more well-rounded player in NJ than he was in Atlanta. Was he a "complete" two-way player? Absolutely not, but I don't think that was ever the goal with him. He wasn't a defensive liability and he was always an offensive threat. And btw, Lamoriello didn't put effort, faith and $ into Ilya, the Devils' owner did...the guy decided he wanted Kovalchuk and drove the entire process himself.

I think the media/fan hoopla over this is silly. This was an instance of two parties coming to a mutually agreeable solution to their respective problems. The Devils are hemorrhaging money and Kovalchuk's contract was going to become nightmarish in the years to come thanks to the new CBA. Kovalchuk, in turn, would rather play in Russia. I think both sides are *very* happy with this solution.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams27 View Post
You missed one.
wow, gratulations

Frederick Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I went to a games Sid's first year against Atlanta and sat front row. Out of all the talent on the ice and granted it was one of Sid's firsts games as well as one of Mario's last ones, but still Kovalchuk looked unreal. Such a strong skater and just unreal talent.

Just not enough heart.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
He's matured quite a bit since those hot-dog Atlanta days. Dude is Kaptain Russia, and he's getting an early start on his duties leading up to Sochi. I have a lot of respect for him. This is a HUGE deal for Mother Russia, these Olympics.

This helps New Jersey way more than it helps Kovalchuk, imo. Because without financial stability the Devils aren't anything. Not that this gets them off the hook, completely. In fact, it may not even matter. But that's why this decision was mutual.
If THAT's their captain, they got no chance of winning the gold.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
Im pretty sure he cannot play in the KHL. People were talking about what the new CBA states about players retiring and he would have to wait for 3 years. Even if the KHL signed him Im pretty sure the IIHF would buckle under the pressure of the NHL and refuse to let him play.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Im pretty sure he cannot play in the KHL. People were talking about what the new CBA states about players retiring and he would have to wait for 3 years. Even if the KHL signed him Im pretty sure the IIHF would buckle under the pressure of the NHL and refuse to let him play.
if he's healthy he will be playing there within a year. I guarantee it.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Sounds like SKA will announce a Kovalchuk signing very shortly. If the Devils wanted to fight it, then yes, the NHL would fight it. And it would be messy.

But the Devils aren't going to do that, so the NHL isn't going to either. The franchise has some serious financial problems, and I'm sure ownership is thrilled to be out from underneath of his contract.

Of course the fans are the ones who suffer, which is depressing.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

The greatest trick the NJ Devil ever pulled was convincing the NHL that he didn't exist.

And like that...(poof)....he's gone.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
The greatest trick the NJ Devil ever pulled was convincing the NHL that he didn't exist.

And like that...(poof)....he's gone.
How do you shoot Lou Lamoriello in the back?

What if you miss?

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHstrike View Post
Digging through the Devils board on this, it's being brought up that his back issues might be more serious than thought. Possibly even chronic.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions and judgments about this. Just going to say that as a Pens fan I like the rival teams(except Philly) to be good teams for exciting, important games. I'll take less joy in seeing the Pens stomp on a broken Devils team.
IF it was that he'd just go on LTIR like Savard and Progner.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:59 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I went to a games Sid's first year against Atlanta and sat front row. Out of all the talent on the ice and granted it was one of Sid's firsts games as well as one of Mario's last ones, but still Kovalchuk looked unreal. Such a strong skater and just unreal talent.

Just not enough heart.
Kovalchuk's got plenty of heart. Remember an Atlanta game against, I think, the Flyers. Think it was the last game of the year. Thrashers needed to win it to get into the playoffs. Guy had like 3 unassisted goals (or rather, goals that shouldn't have been awarded assists because he did it all himself) and hit two posts, including one in the dying seconds of the game.

Thrashers lost, but it wasn't because this guy didn't show up when it mattered.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Kovalchuk's got plenty of heart. Remember an Atlanta game against, I think, the Flyers. Think it was the last game of the year. Thrashers needed to win it to get into the playoffs. Guy had like 3 unassisted goals (or rather, goals that shouldn't have been awarded assists because he did it all himself) and hit two posts, including one in the dying seconds of the game.

A lot of uninformed bashing of Kovy in here as a player and in terms of how this contractual divorce went down.

Hell Yeah!!! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Randy Butternubs

vCash: 50
He was lethal on the powerplay. I'm kinda going to miss watching that.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:27 PM

I think we hear that the NHL won't be going to the Olympics with in a week.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

Nothing says heart like agreeing to a 17 year contract, playing three years and then running off to the third best league.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Al Smith

This is bad for the Devils' position in the standings in the short term (they'll recover soon enough; they always do), good for their financials in the short and long term, and bad for the league in the short term (because they lose a really good player) and, possibly, the long term because it breaks down the mystique the NHL has about being the best league. No doubt it is, but perhaps the gap has closed enough so that taking much better money in the KHL is worth playing in a lesser quality league. This is the most troubling aspect of the whole deal to me. I'd rather not see other star players bolt the NHL like this.

I'm a little surprised at some of the snipes at Kovy. Bottom line, he's getting paid a lot more and is living closer to "home". Most people here would probably take the same deal if they could. I don't blame him for the dumb (to put it kindly) contract the Devils gave him; that's on the Devils. It's not like he was a slacker while he was there. The times I saw him play, he was usually the best overall player on the ice.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Devils didn't toll his contract so he is free to sign any where except the NHL.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
I'm a little surprised at some of the snipes at Kovy. Bottom line, he's getting paid a lot more and is living closer to "home". Most people here would probably take the same deal if they could. I don't blame him for the dumb (to put it kindly) contract the Devils gave him; that's on the Devils. It's not like he was a slacker while he was there. The times I saw him play, he was usually the best overall player on the ice.
I'm sorry... I just don't buy the "poor misunderstood Kovalchuk" angle. Is he getting slagged a bit unnecessarily, considering some of the circumstances (that nobody knew about at first, I might add) surrounding this situation? Yeah. But nobody forced him to sign that contract. He knew what he was getting into. He is by no means blameless in all of this.

If he wanted a better fit, as a player... he could have signed a less outrageous, shorter term deal with any team he liked. But that would entail not being paid like a sultan... so that's a no-go, as far as Kovalchuck is concerned.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
If he wanted a better fit, as a player... he could have signed a less outrageous, shorter term deal with any team he liked. But that would entail not being paid like a sultan... so that's a no-go, as far as Kovalchuck is concerned.
meanwhile the dude who is actually from a country that is governed by a sultan took a paltry 700K. what a gem.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
meanwhile the dude who is actually from a country that is governed by a sultan took a paltry 700K. what a gem.
If Craig Adams actually tried to make the sultan's ransom he deserves, he would be forced to return to Brunei and duel for the legal right to do so. There can only be one.

I think it's kind of silly for us to criticize Kovalchuk for "greed". The dude's a phenomenal player. People were going to throw loads of money and a ridiculous term at him and he's supposed to do the noble thing and talk them down in case he gets homesick a few years later?

I could understand hating on him if he took an albatross contract, sucked, insisted on a trade, and then got all petulant, but he went about this in a way that helps the franchise long term. This doesn't happen without the Devils' consent and they gave it for good reason.

If you want to talk about who's screwing New Jersey, look at the NHL itself. How many big money teams gave out cap circumventing contracts before and after Kovalchuk? They only cared to punish a relatively smaller market team. The league should invent an excuse to give them back their first rounder.

BrunoPuntzJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

This is hilarious.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:20 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
I know, right?!?

And holy crap... look at that dude. He earned like... pretty much every boy scout badge there is, huh?

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Nothing says heart like agreeing to a 17 year contract, playing three years and then running off to the third best league.
that has nothing to do with what he was doing on the ice.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:25 PM
66-30-33

Roomate told me rumor was 15-20M a season for Kovalchuk, is that correct? that's alot of money tax free...no wonder he left. He can make up to 100 million in 5 years if it's 20M a year. I'd bolt for that kind of money too!

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote