HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Kovalchuk Retirement

Old
07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Him retiring at the age of 30 was not the reason why the NHL levied a penalty against the Devils..
Exactly. This is not what the punishment was for. It was for trying to get a salary-cap circumventing contract through the league office. That still happened, so the punishment stands.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Class1723

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
So since the contract is voided and he will most likely go back to SKA.....

Would he be able to return if he chose to later? Doesnt sound like he would but hypothetical, could he come back in a year or two and re-sign with the Devils?

Class1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
jfb392

Here's what Brian Lawton said about the matter:
Quote:
brianlawton9 In order to terminate the contract he needs to first retire. Then @NHLDevils can terminate the contract which they will. He can later decide to play in the KHL for north of 10mio cash, play a couple years and then come back to @NHL if he wants on new deal. Nothing to stop this from happening. This one was heavy out there a while ago and well where there was smoke a fire started today!!!
http://twitter.com/brianlawton9/stat...13371002159104
http://twitter.com/brianlawton9/stat...13634505113600
http://twitter.com/brianlawton9/stat...13803392970755

Quote:
brianlawton9 @SportsnetSpec Nothing to stop him from signing for this season to play in KHL and once his contract is terminated nothing to stop him from coming back to play for blank team but LA has always been on his mind or at least spouse. Follow this one close folks.
http://twitter.com/brianlawton9/stat...14673920753667

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The fines are one thing - financial penalty based on the acts described above. The first round pick is another issue since it was aimed at removing the talent pool advantage the Devils gained as a result of the acts they were fined for.

The Devils prior to the retirement had appealed the first round draft pick penalty BEFORE the retirement, so the appeal should be granted or denied on the basis of merit without consideration of the retirement.

If the retirement becomes an issue in the appeal then the NHL is a true "Kangaroo Court".

The Devils could appeal and try to make a case, but isn't Bettman judge and jury on team v league matters?

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1723 View Post
So since the contract is voided and he will most likely go back to SKA.....

Would he be able to return if he chose to later? Doesnt sound like he would but hypothetical, could he come back in a year or two and re-sign with the Devils?
I believe he could, but he isn't going to. He wants to play in Russia, I don't think he is ever coming back.

We can say though that Kovy wasn't grandstanding during the lockout. I thought some of those comments were with a well it could never happen anyway so I will say it and get a bump at home.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Canadiens1958

Sochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The NHL and KHL have an Memorandum of Understanding to not poach, iirc, but no transfer agreement-- should Ilya decide to play for the KHL, I'm not sure the IIHF would/could do anything. An aggrieved party would need to protest his inclusion perhaps (in international play)?
Or simply a no NHL players in Sochi response and other International events if Kovalchuk plays in the KHL and/or for the Russian National team.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m

Lamoriello says Kovalchuk's contract is now void. He has signed the appropriate paperwork.

https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/355424389401034753

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I believe he could, but he isn't going to. He wants to play in Russia, I don't think he is ever coming back.

We can say though that Kovy wasn't grandstanding during the lockout. I thought some of those comments were with a well it could never happen anyway so I will say it and get a bump at home.
I agree. The fact he says he has been thinking about it so long makes it seem unlikely he would return. I was just curious if he would be allowed to.

Class1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Yes the devils retain his rights, similar to the Evgeni Nabokov situation or going back Alexei Yashin; if a player does not play a contracted year, the team has the option whether to count the year against the contract or not. Conversely the bruins/isles decided to count this year against Tim Thomas' deal
Yeah, but all three of those guys were under contract. I am under the presumption here that Kovalchuk's contract is terminated. Is this in the CBA somewhere?

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
tsanuri

The recapture isn't bad as has been stated only 250K a year. Now they could argue that they are being given a double penalty in having to pay the recapture and give up the draft pick. Since when they were given the other penalty there were no provisions for the recapture.
If he is able to just retire and go play in the KHL that sets a very bad president. It essentially makes every NHL contract null and void for the purpose of locking a player up. Which is one of the main things with a contact is having said player only able to play for you for a said time. There is already a Russian bias and if he is able to go it will make it even bigger. And if the KHL allows it what is to prevent players that want to come over to the NHL to pull the exact same thing on them. I would think in that case the KHL would end up being the big losers.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Or simply a no NHL players in Sochi response and other International events if Kovalchuk plays in the KHL and/or for the Russian National team.

It sounds like the Devils are more than happy to terminate the contract. Does make me wonder why Kovalchuk is willing to forgive that much money owing. He has a guaranteed contract. If he retired, it would be the team in cap hell, not him. It's possible he really wants to go home, and/or understands the issues financially with NJD so is being a nice guy. Who knows really.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
I think the NHL has to take a hard-line response on this.

If he wanted to play all year in the Russian second division for peanuts and then show up to the Olympics fine. But they set an awful precedence by allowing this to happen.

Although it does look like the Devils were willing participants, something I don't expect many guys to get from their NHL club. They just needed out from under this contract I guess. But for the good of the league this should be fought to some extent.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
NJ pushed for this!!! Lou KNOWS that Kovy won't play til 44 and early-retirement cap hit penalty is much more manageable now than if Kovy retired in another 5-7 years!!! Can't be proven, but Lou is too smart to not have been behind this!!!
I doubt it really. It's the players decision. If he wanted to play and keep making money then he would keep going. Also why would they not just trade him and get something back? Even with his contract, Kovalchuk would be worth quite a bit in a trade.

It would be too much of a loophole if a player was able to just retire from the NHL early and then go wherever for the remainder of his contract. But it looks like if NJ is allowing it then he can go and as an NHL fan you don't want this.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

if the Devils have terminated his contract, they don't care if he goes to the KHL. The NHL won't take a hard line.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m

Lamoriello says Kovalchuk's contract is now void. He has signed the appropriate paperwork.

https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/355424389401034753
So if this contract is void does that mean that right this minute he could go and sign with another team? (Edit: NHL team I mean)

Could the NHL prevent him from un-retiring?

And if the contract is void I don't really see any potential legal issue with him playing in the KHL. He's not under an NHL contract any more so could go wherever he wants.

07-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

If they had let Kovy play through the lucrative years of his contract, they would have had a cap recapture penalty of 3.7 million a year for 7 years.

The math: first 8 years= 79 million in cash.

6.66 cap hit for first 8 years= 53.28.

Cap space saved= 26 million. Divided by 7 years is 3.7 per year.

Plus, the Devils owner is strapped for cash. Can he afford a declining winger making 11 million in cash for the next 6 years?

On the ice, they're hurt badly (they now have a declining Elias and Ryan "3 goals in 40 games" Clowe as their winger depth). In the financial department, they make out fairly well.

Also, they're not getting the pick back unless Gary Bettman decides that the Devils have suffered enough, from the bottom of his heart.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
The recapture isn't bad as has been stated only 250K a year. Now they could argue that they are being given a double penalty in having to pay the recapture and give up the draft pick. Since when they were given the other penalty there were no provisions for the recapture.
If he is able to just retire and go play in the KHL that sets a very bad president. It essentially makes every NHL contract null and void for the purpose of locking a player up. Which is one of the main things with a contact is having said player only able to play for you for a said time. There is already a Russian bias and if he is able to go it will make it even bigger. And if the KHL allows it what is to prevent players that want to come over to the NHL to pull the exact same thing on them. I would think in that case the KHL would end up being the big losers.
Not sure how they could possibly argue that.

They gave him a contract, it was deemed illegal by the NHL and the contract voided. They were given an appropriate penalty.

The then decided to sign him to a legal contract in which he has now retired early from. This second contract is the one in which a cap circumvention would be obtaned from. The penalty for circumventign the cap was applied to a compeltely different contract and for a different reason.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
if the Devils have terminated his contract, they don't care if he goes to the KHL. The NHL won't take a hard line.
Yeah they are kind of in a rock in a hard place now. Don't think the Devils are going to be too popular at the next board meeting though.

Honestly this moves New Jersey one step/maybe a bunch closer to Quebec in my opinion. But we can probably save that can of worms for another day.

Just cannot imagine the other 29 partners in the league appreciate at all what the Devils ownership and management group just decided to do.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Canadiens1958

Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The Devils could appeal and try to make a case, but isn't Bettman judge and jury on team v league matters?
My point is very narrow. Any appeal either filed or to be filed cannot consider the retirement in any fashion.

Bolded is another issue.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
The draft pick was a penalty for signing the first contract (17 years, $102 million) which was deemed as cap circumvention.

The recapture penalty is being levied because the Devils received a cap benefit to the total tune of $3 million over the length Kovalchuk played under the 2nd contract (3 years).

Granted, I believe Betman, as commissioner, could technically do whatever he wants so it's anyone's guess what actually happens.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
https://twitter.com/EJHradek_NHL

If Kovalchuk's contract is terminated - as it appears it will be - he will be free to sign and play in the KHL
Quote:
1/2 Kovy has apparently signed his Voluntarily Retired List form and it has been countersigned by NJD to be filed with Central Registry
Quote:
2/2 terms of that VRLF create framework of restrictions governing terms on which player (Kovy) could ever return to play in NHL.
Can anyone well versed with CBA explain what the terms of Voluntarily Retired List form are?

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:57 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Not sure how people think this is related to the Devils financial problems when they've showed no inclination that hockey operations budget has been affected in any way. They spent more money in free agency than Kovalchuk is owed for this year (and next year and the year after).

Pretty sure if you don't have the money to pay one of the best players in the world, you don't pay Clowe, Ryder and others more instead..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Erik Estrada

If he ends up playing in the KHL, this whole thing stinks.... Can players under contract now retire from the SEL or KHL to come and play in NA?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilnm View Post
Is he allowed to come back to NHL ? if yes, when ?
I asked this the other day - if a player retires, how long does he have to stay retired before he can un-retire Michael Jordan style?

Old
07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Did some digging.

kdb posted this in 2011. Obviously that was under the old CBA so things may have changed, but at least it's an insight:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-985609.html

Quote:
This is not in the CBA - it is covered under NHL By-Laws Section 8 (the Cpl Klinger section???) - Voluntarily Retired List.

A player who files for retirement is removed from the Reserve List of his team and placed on the League's Voluntarily Retired List.

- He cannot be removed from the list for 1 calendar year without the unanimous consent of all teams.

- After 1 year he may be transferred back from the list.

- A player entered on the list:

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, as a player for a period of three years from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

and

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, in any other capacity for a period of one year from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

- Being placed on the list does not relinquish a teams rights to that player. He cannot return and sign with another team during the remaining term of his contract and the team would still hold his RFA rights if he were not UFA eligible. A player cannot use retirement to circumvent the free agency rules.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote