HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) II

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
I don't think he has the shot power that Crosby did at his age especially his one timer and wrist shot but he's a much more shifty type of player. He reminds me of Tyler Ennis just 10x better at every facet of the game and obviously bigger.

Only negative I've ever really seen in his game offensively is that he tries to get way too cute with passes and specifically drop passes. 1:30 of that video posted is a perfect example. I guess you could take it as a positive that someone at that age wants to distribute the puck instead of take the easy shot but passing up an opportunity like that will be quickly drilled out of him by an NHL coach.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I don't think he has the shot power that Crosby did at his age especially his one timer and wrist shot but he's a much more shifty type of player. He reminds me of Tyler Ennis just 10x better at every facet of the game and obviously bigger.

Only negative I've ever really seen in his game offensively is that he tries to get way too cute with passes and specifically drop passes. 1:30 of that video posted is a perfect example. I guess you could take it as a positive that someone at that age wants to distribute the puck instead of take the easy shot but passing up an opportunity like that will be quickly drilled out of him by an NHL coach.
Errr Crosby loves doing pretty much the same exact play as that drop pass.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:29 PM
byeyimini

his linemates '13-'14 season ?

I apologize in advance if someone asked this already. Does any know or care to speculate on who his line-mates will be this season ? Beyond the drafting of Dylan Strome has Erie made additional moves to improve the team around him ? i.e. have they begun to assemble a stronger group with an eye towards making the playoffs. Thanks in advance !

Old
07-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeyimini View Post
I apologize in advance if someone asked this already. Does any know or care to speculate on who his line-mates will be this season ? Beyond the drafting of Dylan Strome has Erie made additional moves to improve the team around him ? i.e. have they begun to assemble a stronger group with an eye towards making the playoffs. Thanks in advance !
They drafted Andre Burakovsky in the import draft so if I had to guess I'd say it'd be Burakovsky-Mcdavid-Connor Brown.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post

Yeah, that was a weird pass at 1:30. The vision to pull it off was obviously very impressive but it was a strange play considering he passed up on possibly a better scoring situation to instead drop it to a teammate.

That being said, he's obviously got incredible talent and that was pretty much the only play that left my scratching my head. Going to be fun watching him in a few more years.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
He reminds me a lot of Tavares with better skating and that's a dangerous hockey player. Not a lot of pop and sizzle to his game, but projectable skills for playing up to the next level and he's only 16. Protects the puck well, has a great base, and knows when to take it from the goal line in and use his power to get out front and make something happen. All of those are NHL caliber skills already. His skating is fantastic too and that only makes him more dangerous. Great edge work, but nothing too fancy. Just enough to buy extra seconds and find his teammates. Crisp and flat passes, decisive. No question what he is going to do with the puck because he processes what's in front of him that well.

I don't see Crosby here. Maybe Crosby level production, but these are different players. Crosby does things with his skating that McDavid never will and McDavid will do things with his strength that Crosby never will.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Sophomore season predictions?

Old
07-06-2013, 10:13 PM
BoHorvat53
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Sophomore season predictions?
100 pts

Old
07-06-2013, 10:13 PM
thegutter

baring any injuries, 40 goals, 50 assists, 90 points

Old
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Crosby never did what McDavid is doing.
Based on what?

Crosby.

15 years old
Saint Marys, Minnesota.
72G-90A-162pts in 57 games

16 years old
Rimouski Oceanic
54G-81A-135pts in 59 games

168pts at 17

McDavid isn't close yet

Old
07-07-2013, 01:19 AM
WHOSSOHM

I'd like to compare McDavid's play styles to RNH. He's got that craft intelligent approach to his offense, pair with a relentlessness you could find in a player like Crosby. McDavid is getting Crosby like attention, but I hope the kid lives up to the hype and shows us something special.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Pancakes

He looks very good, but I don't see a Sidney Crosby there. But who knows what kind of steps he'll take in the next few years. Right now from all I've seen of him though Sid was better at that age.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:30 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
He looks very good, but I don't see a Sidney Crosby there. But who knows what kind of steps he'll take in the next few years. Right now from all I've seen of him though Sid was better at that age.
Considering Crosby was the best offensive prospect since Mario, he will be hard to top.

Interesting to see what he does this year. He needs to at least win the scoring title to keep up the hype.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Even though Erie doesn't figure to be that competitive, I think he'll still score around 100 pts. But in 14-15 I think he can reach around 130-150 pts. unless Erie falls apart.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:13 PM
byeyimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
They drafted Andre Burakovsky in the import draft so if I had to guess I'd say it'd be Burakovsky-Mcdavid-Connor Brown.
I just read up on him a little bit, I hope he comes over to play. Sounds like a nice player that could really help the team and McDavid.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Brown's a centre himself isn't he? Also Erie's captain and in his last season. I'd expect McDavid on the wing.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Brown's a centre himself isn't he? Also Erie's captain and in his last season. I'd expect McDavid on the wing.
Brown's listed as a RW. And it would be a borderline coaching catastrophe if they put McDavid on the wing in favour of Brown.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:14 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Brown's listed as a RW. And it would be a borderline coaching catastrophe if they put McDavid on the wing in favour of Brown.
Maybe I'm getting my lines mixed up -- I could've sworn McDavid played wing last season.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Maybe I'm getting my lines mixed up -- I could've sworn McDavid played wing last season.
I don't think he did. Seems like a waste to put him at wing.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Canuck71*

Quote:
Hahaha seriously? Well you certainly didn't watch him much then. Gunna be real hard to keep him off the World Junior team in my opinion. He's going to tear the OHL apart this year.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

How good will Connor McDavid be?

To quote Bob MacKenzie, "he's a generational talent".

Will he be better than Crosby?

Old
07-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Scary good. If he continues to get better we're talking a bigger Crosby.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Leafs21

Crosby was better at 16 than Mcdavid is I think. That being said, I think Mcdavid has potential to be better than anyone besides Crosby if he keeps on track. It's a lot of pressure, expectation and hype for a young kid to go through but he seems like he has the right attitude. I'm hoping hes something special

Old
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
NHL Fanatic

Crosby is such an amazing talent, I don't put anyone in the light of a Crosby. Personally I believe McDavid will be the best prospect since Crosby. Saw him many times in the OHL this season, you truly appreciate how good he is when you watch him play live. Such an unbelievable talent. He thinks the game on another level. He may not have gotten Crosby type points, but junior is a lot better than it was 10 years ago.

Old
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
AwesomeMatthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
To quote Bob MacKenzie, "he's a generational talent".

Will he be better than Crosby?
To quote Bob MacKenzie, "take off eh? ya hoser!"

But who knows how good this kid will be. If we've seen anything from Crosby it's that he needs to keep his head up. He's by no means "small" but even when he fills out he probably won't be more than average size in the NHL. I just hope the kid can stay healthy, he's got some wonderful hands and an incredible, incredible hockey sense.

Closed Thread