HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Roussel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
  #1
Habstract
Registered User
 
Habstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Antoine Roussel

Hey Stars fans,

I'm here to get a little bit more info on Roussel. I haven't seen him play much but from what I heard, his style is comparable to Andrew Shaw... Is it accurate?

What have you seen from him last year and where do you place him for the upcoming season?

Thanks

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
  #2
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
fast, feisty, sense of urgency, possession skills and pass receiving need a lot of work, but saw him improve this throughout the season, expect more of the same improvement
hope he becomes a mainstay for this team for a long while, just fun to watch

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:02 PM
  #3
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,260
vCash: 500
A player who turned into a solid third liner from being NHL waiver wire and an AHL fourth liner.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
  #4
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,343
vCash: 500
Hero to the French, scored the winning goal against Russia.

Hoping he adds to his legend by continuing strong play in Dallas.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  #5
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
He's gonna be behind Benn, Nichuskin, Whitney, Cole, Chiasson, and one of Peverly/Eakin/Horcoff for playing time on the wing, so he will be a 4th liner for sure. Considering he has speed and so do his potential line mates he might provide above average 4th line offense, and I expect he will move up the lineup a little if there are injuries.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:35 PM
  #6
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
he's just mesmerizing to watch on the ice, frantic, maybe a little too frantic at times, but just a skate churner

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
  #7
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
He'll likely be our #1 center in the next couple years. He's also shown promise as a backup to Lehtonen.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
  #8
haf
Registered User
 
haf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
he's just mesmerizing to watch on the ice, frantic, maybe a little too frantic at times, but just a skate churner
Yeah man. He is a guy with no outstanding skills, aside from above average speed, but you always seem to notice him on the ice. Outstanding motor, kid loves to play. Raw offensively but manages to finish as often as not when he has the chance. Fun player.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
  #9
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
He'll likely be our #1 center in the next couple years. He's also shown promise as a backup to Lehtonen.
sarcasm meter pegged too hard with that one brotha

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
  #10
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
No sarcasm.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:32 PM
  #11
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion
 
Shady12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WesTex
Country: United States
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Was nice to see him show some nice awareness with a couple nice assists as well, something I wasn't expecting.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
  #12
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
He's a smart player and a fast learner, you can tell the guy LOVES the game and loves to be in the middle of 'it'.

I was impressed by his discipline as odd as that might sound. He sure curbed his spastic moments dramatically once on the big club.


Last edited by Karitimes: 07-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:18 AM
  #13
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 297
Frantic is a good description, but productive too, not just reckless Blake Sloan energy. The paraphrase from Bob Sturm was something like, "he goes out and does something every game, and that's why he is in Dallas and Tom Wandell and Tomas Vincour are in Austin."

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  #14
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 500
For all of his positives (and there are many), if he can't stop himself from taking dumb penalties at a high rate, he'll find himself back in the AHL by Christmas.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  #15
Bluesoma
Registered User
 
Bluesoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
For all of his positives (and there are many), if he can't stop himself from taking dumb penalties at a high rate, he'll find himself back in the AHL by Christmas.
He was A LOT worse than he has been. He *was* sent back to the AHL at least once because of his penalties.

When he first started the season with Texas he was taking so many dumb penalties and being a super super pest that I pegged him as an Ott clone. Then Coach Willie worked his magic, got the kid's head straight and once he stopped being a super agitator and started playing smarter it turned out he had some actual skill.

He's a perfect Bottom 6 player with energy/speed and just enough skill to not sleep on him.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
  #16
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 500
I'm a huge fan of his. Roussel scores goals, is part of real scoring chances, and is a dog on the puck. Like ck26 said, Roussel actually accomplishes things on the ice unlike do nothing spares like Wandell and Vincour. Roussel is a huge upgrade over those guys, but...

Even if he cleaned up his act a bit, the guy is killing his career with dumb penalties.

If these were penalties from him playing too physical, I could look the other way. But these are dumb tripping type penalties that he does not need to take. With his wheels, he has no reason to cheat as much as he does. He has to learn to trust his teammates when he's beaten on a play. It happens, and it's not that big of a deal. Taking a dumb penalty is a big deal. The Stars tolerated stupid and lazy play for far too long from guys like Ott and Morrow. They can't let Roussel get away with it no matter how much useful energy he brings to the checking lines.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
  #17
Bluesoma
Registered User
 
Bluesoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
I understand that, he does tend to revert back when behind or frustrated.

God, I remember first watching him. He pissed me off so much with stupid penalties. I remember early in the season they did a donation drive where you get a signed puck. I was joking around and saying "Watch I'm going to end up with mother****ing Roussel" and sure enough I did. Good thing I kept the puck though.

Talk about being proved wrong, happily.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:34 PM
  #18
Gary Browning
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I really enjoyed the mad Frenchman last year. Entertaining energetic player. Needs to pick his battles a little better, don't go throwing down with heavy weights when you're not one. Don't be a Barnaby. But yea, I'm a fan..

Gary Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
  #19
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,512
vCash: 500
Good lord there are some bizarre views of him in here. Has anyone actually looked at his penalty breakdown for the season? Yeah he led the team with 85 pims but the vast majority were fighting majors. He got 2 game misconducts in back to back games against Minnesota, one of which was part of a huge penalty fest by both teams and from there on took 1 minor penalty in the final 15 games played.

You guys are acting like he's Jordan freaking Tootoo and running around all amuck when in actuality he was way more disciplined than Dillon and the guys he fought were basically a who's who of the NHL which was a beneficial trade off for Dallas.

Roussel needs to be smart with the penalties he takes but to say he's a liability or an impediment to the roster is absurd. The breakdown is as follows he took 7 fighting majors for 35 minutes. Two misconducts for another 20 minutes which means he had 15 minor penalties the whole season, two of which were unsportsmanlike that got tacked onto his fighting majors. In what way shape or form was he taking stupid penalties nightly?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:27 PM
  #20
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Good lord there are some bizarre views of him in here. Has anyone actually looked at his penalty breakdown for the season? Yeah he led the team with 85 pims but the vast majority were fighting majors. He got 2 game misconducts in back to back games against Minnesota, one of which was part of a huge penalty fest by both teams and from there on took 1 minor penalty in the final 15 games played.

You guys are acting like he's Jordan freaking Tootoo and running around all amuck when in actuality he was way more disciplined than Dillon and the guys he fought were basically a who's who of the NHL which was a beneficial trade off for Dallas.

Roussel needs to be smart with the penalties he takes but to say he's a liability or an impediment to the roster is absurd. The breakdown is as follows he took 7 fighting majors for 35 minutes. Two misconducts for another 20 minutes which means he had 15 minor penalties the whole season, two of which were unsportsmanlike that got tacked onto his fighting majors. In what way shape or form was he taking stupid penalties nightly?
Was hoping someone would do this, I was too lazy to dissect it myself. I don't remember him being a liability when it came to taking minors at all. Once or twice, I suppose, but he's definitely not the worst offender on the team.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  #21
Bluesoma
Registered User
 
Bluesoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
I was speaking mostly about how he actually cleaned up his act. Early in the AHL season he was a penalty machine. At some point he cleaned it up. It was always the timing of the penalties that were bad too in the beginning. It wasn't just penalties either, he was also too much of annoying pest before toning that down also. As long as he doesn't revert back to those habits he'll continue to be a great energy guy to have.

Hell, you throw Dillon into the conversation and I'll say the same thing, he took some stupid penalties (hence why I'm not one of those "DILLON SHOULD BE CAPTAIN" people).

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:30 AM
  #22
English stars fan
Registered User
 
English stars fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I'm a huge fan of his. Roussel scores goals, is part of real scoring chances, and is a dog on the puck. Like ck26 said, Roussel actually accomplishes things on the ice unlike do nothing spares like Wandell and Vincour. Roussel is a huge upgrade over those guys, but...

Even if he cleaned up his act a bit, the guy is killing his career with dumb penalties.

If these were penalties from him playing too physical, I could look the other way. But these are dumb tripping type penalties that he does not need to take. With his wheels, he has no reason to cheat as much as he does. He has to learn to trust his teammates when he's beaten on a play. It happens, and it's not that big of a deal. Taking a dumb penalty is a big deal. The Stars tolerated stupid and lazy play for far too long from guys like Ott and Morrow. They can't let Roussel get away with it no matter how much useful energy he brings to the checking lines.
Out of 85 PIMS, only 20 of those were from minor penalties. Of those 10 minor penalties, only one was for tripping. In fact, after he came back from his banishment to the AHL he had only 7 minor penalties in 32 GP. Compare to Ott (24 in 48 GP this season, 38 in 74GP last for the Stars) and you see there's basically no comparison to be made as he takes minor penalties at less than half the rate. I would also be interested to see how many of his minor penalties ended up as coincidental minors. I'm also sure he's the type of player who draws more minors than he gives up.

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  #23
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 500
Yes, the big question is which player we see. Do we get the guy who had to be banished or the guy who came back up? He's a guy another franchise gave up on over penalties, took a lot of penalties early in the AHL season, and had to be banished during this short season for penalties. To pretend it's not an issue with him is wrong. 30 clean games is nice, but he needs to show that he can go full seasons with his head on straight.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:23 AM
  #24
TheGuyFromThere
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGuyFromThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
I would also be interested to see how many of his minor penalties ended up as coincidental minors. I'm also sure he's the type of player who draws more minors than he gives up.
According to BehindTheNet, he drew 1.6 penalties for every 60 minutes he played, tied for first on the team with Cole. He took 1.3 penalties/60 to put that into a bit of perspective.

TheGuyFromThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:57 AM
  #25
Klockis
I need girl
 
Klockis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Yes, the big question is which player we see. Do we get the guy who had to be banished or the guy who came back up? He's a guy another franchise gave up on over penalties, took a lot of penalties early in the AHL season, and had to be banished during this short season for penalties. To pretend it's not an issue with him is wrong. 30 clean games is nice, but he needs to show that he can go full seasons with his head on straight.
I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from when comparing AHL performance versus/and/or NHL performance, so don't get to heated if I misunderstand you position.

I remember that you (and several other people including Nill) didn't want to bring Bachman back because off one poor NHL season while he played good at both the AHL level and the season before. I want to remember you saying that the AHL numbers didn't matter. Exactly the same case was with Larsen (good in the AHL and one NHL season, but one bad lockout season was the only thing that mattered that you wanted him off the team).

But in Roussel's case the of the AHL numbers matters and the NHL numbers doesn't prove anything because off it being a lockout shortened season. Nevermind that he also cleaned up his act in the AHL too.

I fully understand if I missed something, but for me you arguments doesn't make much sense to me as it seems like you just pick information that fits your own bias.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.