HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers 2013 draft review

Old
07-14-2013, 08:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Edmonton Oilers 2013 draft review

The Edmonton Oilers began the 2013 NHL Draft with six selections, but after trading away their 37th pick to Los Angeles for the 57th, 88th, and 96th picks and then swapping the 57th pick to St. Louis for their 83rd, 94th, and 113th, the Oilers walked away with 10 new prospects.

Most notably of course was the addition of defenseman Darnell Nurse in what was a rodeo of a first round. Many wondered if the Oilers would select a defenseman – although a great asset to a team that is missing a player like Nurse, the top 10 was ripe with skilled forwards.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:44 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

the Oilers could have done better. taking an extreme longshot in Aidan Muir and passing on better prospects like Jordan Subban is not good in my book, despite Subban being a little undersized. same goes for Evan Campbell (who?) who was picked over better prospects like Viktor Crus-Rydberg, Cal Petersen and Eric Roy. even Betker seems more of the same with apparently foot speed issues when better prospects like Sean Malone, Myles Bell and Jeremy Gregoire were passed on.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
the Oilers could have done better. taking an extreme longshot in Aidan Muir and passing on better prospects like Jordan Subban is not good in my book, despite Subban being a little undersized. same goes for Evan Campbell (who?) who was picked over better prospects like Viktor Crus-Rydberg, Cal Petersen and Eric Roy. even Betker seems more of the same with apparently foot speed issues when better prospects like Sean Malone, Myles Bell and Jeremy Gregoire were passed on.
Basically sounds like if you hadn't heard of them, you thought it was a bad pick.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:55 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Basically sounds like if you hadn't heard of them, you thought it was a bad pick.
As opposed to never heard of them and thinking they were a good pick?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
As opposed to never heard of them and thinking they were a good pick?
I guess? I don't know, I didn't say anything about good picks.

The big difference being, of course, that professional scouts are the ones making the picks, as opposed to us.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
I guess? I don't know, I didn't say anything about good picks.

The big difference being, of course, that professional scouts are the ones making the picks, as opposed to us.
Well, considering their record, they might be better off going with us.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, considering their record, they might be better off going with us.
Easy to say that, but seems a lot less likely when you look back at post-draft threads that say "we should have drafted Player A and Player B and it was a huge mistake passing on them!" and notice that the players some people were adamant about are career minor leaguers.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Easy to say that, but seems a lot less likely when you look back at post-draft threads that say "we should have drafted Player A and Player B and it was a huge mistake passing on them!" and notice that the players some people were adamant about are career minor leaguers.
Most of these guys have been here since 2000ish. Their record has been abysmal. Just terrible. One of the big reasons why the NHL club has floundered. The 10yrs before that was possibly even worse.

Katz could save himself all kinds of money and just hire Maggie the monkey.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

i just wish people would question the scouting staff's picks a little more instead of just accepting what the so called "Magnificent *astard" Stu and his scouts do pick wise. i am fully aware of the fact that it's later round picking and the odds are long for most of the picks to ever make it, but what i am assuming is that when we pick guys like Platzer, Muir and Campbell over more established junior players, we are probably not helping our odds of getting an NHL player. i'd be willing to guess that Jordan Subban, who we passed on picking to take Muir, makes it to the NHL and Muir does not...but i guess we'll see. the odds are probably more in Subban's favour than Muir, and i'm only basing it on Subban's good productive junior numbers.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Horseradish

I am content with the Oilers' picks. I think they reached with Platzer pretty far, but really dug up some players who look like they could be steals.

I think that Houck pick in particular will be excellent value. Don't think he'll ever be a top-6er but looks like a 5 tool 3rd liner if he continues right. NHL upside looks like Brad Marchand on top end or Mike Brown at low end. Good chance he won't make it too, but I really like his tool kit, his character, and his style. Nice thing is that he puts up the points which is a necessity in the NHL and something which neither Moroz nor Ewanyk possess. I imagine he'll pass them on the depth chart within a year or two.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:29 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^the Houck pick i am happy with. i hope he turns out to be exactly what you describe because we need that type of player. same with Roy....wasn't happy with this pick until i read a number of scouting reports that just glow about this guy's 2 way abilities...now i'm happy with the pick. i like the occasional off the wall pick, but it just seems like the scouting staff went a little overboard with the stretch picks this year in Platzer, Muir and Campbell.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

I think the scouts really reached with Platzer/Muir/Campbell. These guys were barely projected to be drafted and we probably could've just invited them to development camp or something. I like all the other picks, though I would've considered Comire instead of Roy.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:49 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^yaa, i was more than pizzed when the Oilers traded the pick we had right after taking Roy which could have gotten us Comrie...Comrie was apperently projected to go higher if he hadn't had his injury. i still feel we needed to take a goalie, but i have felt this way for the last couple of drafts and they haven't taken one.