HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who looks good at Prospects Camp?

Old
07-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdan6215 View Post
frk is a scoring machine he is the next prospect to the red wings roster ...
Scoring machine? Yes

Next prospect to the Red Wings Roster? Doubt it. There are several guys ahead of him still.

I wonder if his skating will really be an issue. He's so good at putting himself in position to score and he plays a strong, powerful game. Will hit and play with an edge also.

If Cleary can play in the top 6 with how shot his skating was last year, pretty sure Frk could keep up with the play better than that.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:43 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I just hope "good hard look" actually means "good hard look" instead of "Yeah come to camp, but good luck getting a spot because we have too many vets that are definitely going ahead of you, unless you show us Datsyuk 2.0"
What vets? Most of them aren't under contract for that year. Unless Cleary is re-signed, he would be competing against a much younger crowd or UFA's brought in.

Sammy, Bert, Eaves are all gone next year unless retained.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Henkka

At least Jurco, Sheahan, Järnkrok and Ferraro will be up before Frk. Be patient guys.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
At least Jurco, Sheahan, Järnkrok and Ferraro will be up before Frk. Be patient guys.
I'd add Glendening to that list as well, I think he's a Red Wing for the 2014-2015 season.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Line Interloper View Post
What vets? Most of them aren't under contract for that year. Unless Cleary is re-signed, he would be competing against a much younger crowd or UFA's brought in.

Sammy, Bert, Eaves are all gone next year unless retained.
I dunno man. We took on and retained guys like Sammy, Bert, Cleary. Took on Tootoo. Kept Miller. Who knows about Eaves next year.

We may not have the same vets in 5 years, but who knows who Kenny decides to go after.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Flowah

Quote:
If Frk tears it up on the Griffins next year, he better get a real shot at the team in 2014. He's big, he's got the shot we want, he's smart. It's not like he's a 5'10 guy that we need to watch grow/put on weight. Guy is man sized already.

Old
07-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
If Frk tears it up on the Griffins next year, he better get a real shot at the team in 2014. He's big, he's got the shot we want, he's smart. It's not like he's a 5'10 guy that we need to watch grow/put on weight. Guy is man sized already.
He's not that big; he's only 6'0. He's not that fast, and he's not that good defensively. He still has time to put in before he's in Detroit.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:55 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Official Detroit Red Wings shared a link.
3 hours ago
Ken Holland, Mike Babcock talk about the scrimmage and top prospects. Also hear from Ryan Sproul about turning pro, Anthony Mantha about his first skate with DRW, and Martin Frk about winning the CHL Memorial Cup. Jiri Fischer also gives insight to future camp activities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHOGO_dEeE

Some info video from facebook red wings main site

I am tampa and detroit fan 28 years michigan last 16 in tampa area Like gators univeristy of michigan and msu colleges and detroit and tampa teams in other sports.

twitter robertguess2009
facebook
http://www.facebook.com/thetick33

anyone can add me talk sports share wings news etc..

Good to meet you guys !!

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:56 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
He's not that big; he's only 6'0. He's not that fast, and he's not that good defensively. He still has time to put in before he's in Detroit.
he's 203 lbs though

he's physically ready and about as big as he's ever gonna get

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
He plays big though. He's 200 lbs or better and plays a "power winger" game. Goes to the dirty area of the ice, plays with an edge, looks to staple guys when he can.

He's a goal-scorer with some grit. That's a pretty nice niche to have in the Wings system.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
He plays big though. He's 200 lbs or better and plays a "power winger" game. Goes to the dirty area of the ice, plays with an edge, looks to staple guys when he can.

He's a goal-scorer with some grit. That's a pretty nice niche to have in the Wings system.
Oh, absolutely. I'm just saying I don't think he's ready to go in the next year. Hell, even if he were, the Wings would keep him in GR anyway...

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I'm just saying I don't think he's ready to go in the next year. Hell, even if he were, the Wings would keep him in GR anyway...
That's my point. Give the kid a year. *If* he tears it up in GR, then he needs to be given serious consideration for the following year.

No more of this "Well... okay, you went PPG, but still we need you to stay down for another year or two."

Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
In the hierarchy of things it would seem Ferraro, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, and Jurco would be ahead of him.

I wonder what would happen if he comes to the AHL and lights on fire though?

Remember how many people were ahead of Nyquist before he got to GR?

I don't think any of the guys ahead of him are really that close to being regular Red Wings, so it seems like a pretty open contest. Thought Sheahan would be, but it seems they still think he's a ways off.

Old
07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
golffuul

Quote:
I think he has been at camp in earlier years. He has been a swedish pro for few years already. No need to teach him how to cook better food.
This is development camp. The Prospects Camp/Tournament comes in the first 2 weeks of September. He'll be there unless the Wings are protecting him for the main camp. I would think they want him there to get ready for the main camp.

golffuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:00 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Challenge: name all the prospects

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:10 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
IMO the best thing that Frk could do for himself would be to attach himself to Homer's hip and soak in all the teaching he can. Homer is the blueprint for how to succeed in the NHL without being able to skate. Frk can skate ok, and his pass and shot are light-years better than Homer's ever were. But he needs to develop that tipping/screening and then floating out for one-timers element that Franzen seems to have abandoned.

Standing in front you get the chance to tip pucks in, you get to jump on rebounds, and if you're smart about it, when the puck is by the boards or behind the net you can drift out 8-10 feet and get into sniping position with a little room in the soft center of the D.

That's where Frk will make his money if he ever gets to the NHL - transition hockey does not seem to suit his game, but unleashing that shot from anywhere inside 30 feet should be deadly. He has the frame to hold up pretty well, which he'll need to because you get whacked a lot playing in front of the net.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
gretskidoo

Quote:
He still plays quite big, but that obviously doesn't matter to Babcock.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
T-Tuzzi has a solid front of the net presence and likes to fight at development camp, lol.
Calling Tyler Bertuzzi "T-Tuzzi" doesn't clear up any confusion about whether you are referring to Todd or Tyler. They have the same first initial. It's only clear because this is a development camp.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
IMO the best thing that Frk could do for himself would be to attach himself to Homer's hip and soak in all the teaching he can. Homer is the blueprint for how to succeed in the NHL without being able to skate. Frk can skate ok, and his pass and shot are light-years better than Homer's ever were. But he needs to develop that tipping/screening and then floating out for one-timers element that Franzen seems to have abandoned.

Standing in front you get the chance to tip pucks in, you get to jump on rebounds, and if you're smart about it, when the puck is by the boards or behind the net you can drift out 8-10 feet and get into sniping position with a little room in the soft center of the D.

That's where Frk will make his money if he ever gets to the NHL - transition hockey does not seem to suit his game, but unleashing that shot from anywhere inside 30 feet should be deadly. He has the frame to hold up pretty well, which he'll need to because you get whacked a lot playing in front of the net.
Agree with this, when I look at Frk, I see a lot of Patric Hörnqvist.

Patric Hörnqvist has become a pretty good net front guy, but he is great at sagging off the D and using his accurate and hard shot to score. If Frk could mirror that game I would be pretty happy.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Yep, I have been unabashedly been calling Sproul our #1 prospect.
You could certainly making a strong case. Have a feeling a lot of people are going to be voting him #1 this time of year next year after this season in Grand Rapids.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Agree with this, when I look at Frk, I see a lot of Patric Hörnqvist.

Patric Hörnqvist has become a pretty good net front guy, but he is great at sagging off the D and using his accurate and hard shot to score. If Frk could mirror that game I would be pretty happy.
Pretty good comparison to be honest, and that is something we could really use.

Little different because I think Frk has a better one-timer than Hornqvist so he could be a little more versatile of an option on the PP. Could put him wide in the slot and camp out there, or put him as the net-front guy to bang home goals like Hornqvist does.

Old
07-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Datstromberg

mantha sproul and frk were the standouts in the scrimmage. athanasiou always seemed to be flying into the offensive zone with the puck.

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Just curious what did the wings see in Tyler bertuzzi?
Production isn't there doesn't have skill and he is also a god aweful fighter watched 6 videos he lost all of them including against maata

PricerStopDaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:07 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Just curious what did the wings see in Tyler bertuzzi?
Production isn't there doesn't have skill and he is also a god aweful fighter watched 6 videos he lost all of them including against maata
he's an agitator and a very good one.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:18 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
he's an agitator and a very good one.
Just being an agitator doesn't get you to the nhl though. He is competitive but he doesn't have that slight offensive ability to warrant a second round pick,that being said detroits scouting is far superior then mine so we will see.

PricerStopDaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote