HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
FreeRadicals

vCash: 500
Edit:delete.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:11 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
I'm honestly surprised we haven't signed Penner yet. He's better than Jones on the third line and is potentially cheap. Is MacT's grudge towards him that deep?
Doesn't fit the system anymore. We don't need a lumbering lazy forward whose heart is in California.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Eh, 2006 came out of nowhere. I remember a guy calling into an Edmonton radio show before the start of that season (I can't remember which one) predicting a Sabres/Oilers final and he was practically laughed off the air by the other pundit they had on. It's pretty hilarious how close he was all things considered.
Buffalo was a delay of game penalty away from going to the SCF. I would have loved a Buffalo/Edmonton final.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Buffalo was a delay of game penalty away from going to the SCF. I would have loved a Buffalo/Edmonton final.
Their defence was decimated as well. I wanted that match up at the time, I think we matched up real well against them.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by puritania View Post
their defence was decimated as well. I wanted that match up at the time, i think we matched up real well against them.
stop talking about 2006

Old
07-13-2013, 05:47 PM
belair

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised we haven't signed Penner yet. He's better than Jones on the third line and is potentially cheap. Is MacT's grudge towards him that deep?
I like the idea too.

But the management is trying to change the culture off the ice by bringing in Eakins, a coach who is a well known fitness enthusiast. Bringing in a player who is known to have issues with training and personal fitness is likely not high on MacT's list. It was the likely reason that the Oilers walked away from Peckham.

Old
07-13-2013, 05:53 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Doesn't fit the system anymore. We don't need a lumbering lazy forward whose heart is in California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I like the idea too.

But the management is trying to change the culture off the ice by bringing in Eakins, a coach who is a well known fitness enthusiast. Bringing in a player who is known to have issues with training and personal fitness is likely not high on MacT's list. It was the likely reason that the Oilers walked away from Peckham.
Yeah, but what if Eakins could turn that around. Many former lazy players have been transformed due to new atmospheres and coaches. Also, Eakins is known for revitalizing players, like Paul Ranger, Kadri etc.

I think the risk on Penner is well worth it considering we have very little options. Penner played great with Edmonton and the Ducks, only really crapping out in LA, maybe he doesn't fit under the Sutter system.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Yeah, but what if Eakins could turn that around. Many former lazy players have been transformed due to new atmospheres and coaches. Also, Eakins is known for revitalizing players, like Paul Ranger, Kadri etc.

I think the risk on Penner is well worth it considering we have very little options.
Yup. Worst case scenario is he doesn't pan out, and he's traded at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even if he flops, he still has cache as a playoff performer, and gets up atleast a 3rd round pick, possibly a 2nd to replace the one we lost in the Perron trade.

Best case scenario, he figures it out under Eakins and becomes a legit power forward.

Most likely scenario is he plays better than be did in LA, but not as good as he was last time he was an Oiler, and is a serviceable 2nd/3rd line tweener that upgrades our roster substantially.

Penner-Gordon-XXX is a good pair to build your 3rd line around. Both solid ES players that would allow our top 2 lines to get some easier match ups.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:10 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Yup. Worst case scenario is he doesn't pan out, and he's traded at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even if he flops, he still has cache as a playoff performer, and gets up atleast a 3rd round pick, possibly a 2nd to replace the one we lost in the Perron trade.

Best case scenario, he figures it out under Eakins and becomes a legit power forward.

Most likely scenario is he plays better than be did in LA, but not as good as he was last time he was an Oiler, and is a serviceable 2nd/3rd line tweener that upgrades our roster substantially.

Penner-Gordon-XXX is a good pair to build your 3rd line around. Both solid ES players that would allow our top 2 lines to get some easier match ups.
I agree. A healthy, physical Penner could make our third line very hard to play against, potentially eating some tougher minutes from the kid lines.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:11 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
We're a much better team with Penner than we are without him.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
FightingIrish17

I read an article about the Oilers going after Phaneuf so I brought up the topic with a Leaf's friend of mine and we agreed upon a deal, so tell me what ya guys think.

To: TOR
D Nick Schultz
D Gernat/Musil/Marincin
2015 2nd

To: EDM
D Dion Phaneuf (35% retained)

Old
07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
We're a much better team with Penner than we are without him.
We need someone to redound consistently.

Penner=indolent

Old
07-13-2013, 06:24 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
I read an article about the Oilers going after Phaneuf so I brought up the topic with a Leaf's friend of mine and we agreed upon a deal, so tell me what ya guys think.

D Nick Schultz
D Gernat/Musil/Marincin
2015 2nd

Hahaha.... hahaha... please go no where near the Trade Forum with that... hell posting it here is bad enough... the Leafs are not doing that... terrible

Old
07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:

D Nick Schultz
D Gernat/Musil/Marincin
2015 2nd

I would do it, but can not see why Toronto would.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:

D Nick Schultz
D Gernat/Musil/Marincin
2015 2nd

Your friend is not a Leaf's fan. That trade is awful.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:26 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I don't think a 3rd line Penner is substantially better than other guys who are available.

I'd prefer Morrow or Raymond over him.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:27 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
We need someone to redound consistently.

Penner=indolent
I'm not expecting to find the perfect third line winger in free agency. Penner has his flaws.

However, he can be had for cheap, has a lot of potential to bounce back and would immediately be the third best left winger on our roster. We need upgrades in the bottom six. He would be one.

What's the harm in giving him a shot?

Old
07-13-2013, 06:27 PM
FreeRadicals

Trade for Brian Boyle
Sign Penner

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Gagner - Eberle
Penner - Gordon - Hemsky
Joensuu - Boyle - Jones

In further analysis...

Penner (6'4,242) - Gordon (6'1,200) - Hemsky (6'0,185)
Joensuu (6'4,209) - Boyle (6'7,244) - Jones (6'0,205)

I know Ht+Wt is not a good indicator of physicality but bear with me.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:31 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

If you all remember back... and I'm sure you do... the combo of Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky played really well together.

That's backed up by the stats as well if you look at the goals for and against at even strength while those 3 were together on the ice.

Penner and Horcoff are two of the few players Hemsky really seemed to mesh well with.

Now I know time has marched on since those years.. and Horcoff is now gone BUT Boyd Gordon plays a similar role (although offensively inferior to Horcoff in those earlier years)... but acquiring Penner and having a line of...

Penner-Gordon-Hemsky

... could actually be solid. Big body with some decent hands.... defensively responsible centre and a slick forward. It may not be ideal but I think there could be some chemistry there like in the past.

Would the Oilers do it? Very likely not... but there is even some stats in this case (not just blind assumptions) to show that it could very well be a worthy gamble to take.

I think if Hemsky is still going to be here in the fall (and he probably will be because right now his return is likely negative) then getting Penner for that #3 LW spot would be a decent move.

Of course it does all depend on whether Penner would even come back as well.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
millpoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I don't think a 3rd line Penner is substantially better than other guys who are available.

I'd prefer Morrow or Raymond over him.
Raymond is no where near what the Oilers need for the 3rd line. He's a soft top 6 guy, and would arguably one of the softer players on a forward lineup that already has a lack-of-size issue.

Morrow I'd consider, but I'm sure he'll sign with a contender for something like 2M.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:33 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If you all remember back... and I'm sure you do... the combo of Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky played really well together.

That's backed up by the stats as well if you look at the goals for and against at even strength while those 3 were together on the ice.

Penner and Horcoff are two of the few players Hemsky really seemed to mesh well with.

Now I know time has marched on since those years.. and Horcoff is now gone BUT Boyd Gordon plays a similar role (although offensively inferior to Horcoff in those earlier years)... but acquiring Penner and having a line of...

Penner-Gordon-Hemsky

... could actually be solid. Big body with some decent hands.... defensively responsible centre and a slick forward. It may not be ideal but I think there could be some chemistry there like in the past.

Would the Oilers do it? Very likely not... but there is even some stats in this case (not just blind assumptions) to show that it could very well be a worthy gamble to take.

I think if Hemsky is still going to be here in the fall (and he probably will be because right now his return is likely negative) then getting Penner for that #3 LW spot would be a decent move.

Of course it does all depend on whether Penner would even come back as well.
I just can't see Hemsky playing on the 3rd line. I don't think he'll contribue in any meaningful way playing in that role. That's my concern with the fact he's still with us.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:36 PM
millpoo

Quote:

D Nick Schultz
D Gernat/Musil/Marincin
2015 2nd

Clear win for Edmonton. I wouldn't offer Marincin though - he's the most developed of the trio there.

Remove Martin and the salary Toronto would have to retain, and I do this trade.

Leafs won't do it though.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Hemsky (+?)
for
Goc + Bergenheim

Bergenheim makes this a little expensive, but it would make the bottom six a little better.

Bergenheim-Gordon-Jones
Brown-Goc-Joensuu
Smyth

Not great, but it's something. Like I said, Bergenheim's $2.75M make this a little more expensive than we want, but it's only a year left after this. Goc is >50% on the dot and fairly gritty, another C for us too.

07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hemsky (+?)
for
Goc + Bergenheim

Bergenheim makes this a little expensive, but it would make the bottom six a little better.

Bergenheim-Gordon-Jones
Brown-Goc-Joensuu
Smyth

Not great, but it's something. Like I said, Bergenheim's $2.75M make this a little more expensive than we want, but it's only a year left after this. Goc is >50% on the dot and fairly gritty, another C for us too.
Decent, but isn't Goc injury prone? I don't think that would be good for our bottom 6.

Old
07-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Lindo

Hemsky to Florida seems reasonable, especially if we're taking back salary. They only have Kopecky on the right?

Closed Thread