HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Phaneuf would cure a lot of what ails the Oilers. Size, snarl, LH shot. Only real downside is the term on his deal. But if I'm gonna shell out assets for basically a rental, I'd do it for a bona fide #1 D over, say, Thomas Vanek.
The only unknown factor is how he would mix in the room. Rumor has it he is a bit of a dick....just sayin...he got run out of calgary for a reason.....

Old
07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Same question I always ask. Since when are we in a position to trade 1st rounders for 1 or 2 year rentals?

Did I miss something this spring where we made the second or third round of the playoffs and were a player away from perhaps challenging for the cup?

Did just making the playoffs turn into our stanley cup?

Draft the player in 2014 and if we're close to contending.. trade his ass.
We're in a position where a top 2D could push us into the playoffs.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Same question I always ask. Since when are we in a position to trade 1st rounders for 1 or 2 year rentals?

Did I miss something this spring where we made the second or third round of the playoffs and were a player away from perhaps challenging for the cup?

Did just making the playoffs turn into our stanley cup?

Draft the player in 2014 and if we're close to contending.. trade his ass.
I guess you missed MacT interviews. I would pick up a rental for our first... and if we are out of playoffs picture ...trade his ass at deadline.

The Oilers can afford to miss the playoffs again.. Lowe knows he is next up under the axe..

Old
07-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
The only unknown factor is how he would mix in the room. Rumor has it he is a bit of a dick....just sayin...he got run out of calgary for a reason.....
You know who was a dick and is still a dick.

Chris Pronger

Old
07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Chris Pronger
I was gonna say... attitude off the ice doesn't mean much if you bring it on the ice and contribute to the team.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I was gonna say... attitude off the ice doesn't mean much if you bring it on the ice and contribute to the team.
True but Dion is nowhere near the caliber of Prongs. He's a very good #3 D on a great team, but here he'd be exposed playing #1 minutes just like he is in Toronto. I see him all the time being in Ontario, and he's just not that good when he has to play too many minutes.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:12 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I would do that.

Both players have 1 year left and straight swap would work.
Seriously guys?

You must live in homerville if you think that Hemsky gets you anywhere close to Phaneuf.
For all his shortcomings, Phaneuf is at the least a legit #2 defenseman, would be a #1 here quite easily and you think that the Leafs are just going to give him away for Hemsky of all people?
Just because Phaneuf only has a year remaining on his contract and seems like a jerk apparently, that doesn't mean the Leafs are giving him away for scraps. He's probably their most important player.
It's going to cost something significant to get him from the Leafs.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
A lot of people (including myself) would argue that Edmonton's biggest problem has been their defence. If you can't get your forwards the puck than they can't score.

Phanuef (or any top pairing guy) bumps everyone else down on the depth chart making the D a lot better.

Phanuef-Ference
Smid-Petry
Belov-J Schultz
Larson
That all might be true but if Boyd Gordon is our #1 center on opening night it wont make a difference.

They have to sign Gagner, hope RNH is healed and ideally find at least one more guy who can take a faceoff. Unless they accomplish some of those things I'd rather not trade away our first round pick. As of right now we're closer to the bottom than we are to a playoff spot, with or without Phaneuf. Ference is one of the players that should be pushed farther down the depth chart not penciled in on the top pairing.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Chris Pronger
Can you elaborate?

Link me to any article of any current or former teammate ever bashing Pronger?

Guys in the room always loved him...sure he might have rubbed media and fans the wrong way but the guy has never been a locker room problem.

For @#%$ sakes he put on one of the greatest individual playoff performances of all-time with his wife in another country and complaining to him every day about how crappy Edmonton was.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:17 PM
OilerFan4Life

Stauffer just said "MacT still looking for another 5-8 guy and I'll just say maybe a guy MacT knows well".

Oh god.

#47 is a free agent BTW.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Seriously guys?

You must live in homerville if you think that Hemsky gets you anywhere close to Phaneuf.
For all his shortcomings, Phaneuf is at the least a legit #2 defenseman, would be a #1 here quite easily and you think that the Leafs are just going to give him away for Hemsky of all people?
Just because Phaneuf only has a year remaining on his contract and seems like a jerk apparently, that doesn't mean the Leafs are giving him away for scraps. He's probably their most important player.
It's going to cost something significant to get him from the Leafs.
I think Phaneuf could be had for fairly cheap if only because Nonis has shown himself to be a very poor manager of his assets. Buying out Grabovski, signing Clarkson and overpaying Bozak all indicate some seriously misplaced priorities.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Here's the main difference between Snowpants and Joshua Bailey.

Bailey has more upside.

Snowpants has peaked.
They are separated by two months in age

If Gagner has peaked, then so has Bailey.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Stauffer just said "MacT still looking for another 5-8 guy and I'll just say maybe a guy MacT knows well".

Oh god.

#47 is a free agent BTW.
Gilbert

Old
07-15-2013, 01:21 PM
KlimasLoveChild

What are the chances of getting Zajac out of NJ? Might be a time to buy low there... The contract is horrible and he has injury issues but he is quality #2 and if we are going to have to pay Gagner 5+ per year. What is better Gagner at 5 or Zajac at 5.75

Old
07-15-2013, 01:23 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
What are the chances of getting Zajac out of NJ? Might be a time to buy low there... The contract is horrible and he has injury issues but he is quality #2 and if we are going to have to pay Gagner 5+ per year. What is better Gagner at 5 or Zajac at 5.75
I'd rather have Gagner at 5

Old
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
that is all.

Old
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I think Phaneuf could be had for fairly cheap if only because Nonis has shown himself to be a very poor manager of his assets. Buying out Grabovski, signing Clarkson and overpaying Bozak all indicate some seriously misplaced priorities.
It's not like they paid a lot for him right?

Toss in Pitlick and Gernat with Hemsky and it's close to what they gave up to get him.

Old
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Gilbert
I'd rather have Gilbert than Potter on the team next year

Old
07-15-2013, 01:29 PM
oilphan

Call me crazy, call me sentimental, but I actually think Hemmer could be a very good fit in a 3rd liner role with us. Aside from being injury plagued, his main problem is he needs the puck to be effective. Unfortunately, so do out other first and second liners. This renders him much less effective.

Think about his best days when he was on a line with Horc and Smytty. He was able to let them to all of the hard work, and he could carry the puck. If he ends up on a line with Boyd and Jonesy, I think we may see him become much more effective again. Plus, it will give us a scoring threat on the line.

Yes, he makes too much as a third liner. But if he has a good year, we may see his trade value increase quite a bit over the year.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:30 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'd rather have Gilbert than Potter on the team next year
Agreed on Potter but what's the point of Gilbert as a 7-8, d-man? Maybe I'm assuming too much but I figure that 6 spot is reserved for Klefbom or Belov.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:31 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:

Oh god.

#47 is a free agent BTW.
Why would he be looking for a 5th bottom pairing d. The problem is at the top. Arg.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Call me crazy, call me sentimental, but I actually think Hemmer could be a very good fit in a 3rd liner role with us. Aside from being injury plagued, his main problem is he needs the puck to be effective. Unfortunately, so do out other first and second liners. This renders him much less effective.

Think about his best days when he was on a line with Horc and Smytty. He was able to let them to all of the hard work, and he could carry the puck. If he ends up on a line with Boyd and Jonesy, I think we may see him become much more effective again. Plus, it will give us a scoring threat on the line.

Yes, he makes too much as a third liner. But if he has a good year, we may see his trade value increase quite a bit over the year.
I got to the point of just loathing Hemsky last season, but I'm thinking that him on the 3rd line wouldn't be the worst thing. A guy who can inject some offense on his own would help with some secondary scoring.

Gordon will be the most defensively responsible center Hemsky has played with.

The problem then is at #3LW though. Gordon needs some help defensively. He can't be covering for Hemsky and Joensuu/Jones/Smyth too.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Asher

Quote:

Oh god.

#47 is a free agent BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Gilbert
Gilbert is not a 5-8 guy. MAB would be a better guess.

BTW, why do they need another 5-8 guy? They have 9 dmen under contract. I would say they already have enough 5-8 guys.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
doulos

Quote:
Snowpants in April

14 games, 7 points.

Let's go back to 2012. In March/April 2012 he had 19 games, 7 points

See a trend here? Only one time in his entire career did he put up a better PPG pace over the last month of the season compared to his overall season PPG average and that was in 2009....when we went in tank mode for Taylor Hall....Sammy snowpants only produced when there is no pressure. That is an absolute fact based on his stat splits. Do the math!

This is a player who has a TRACK RECORD of breaking down the longer a season goes but hey sure let's give him 5 million/year.
I guess we'll see. No need to speak in absolutes when reality doesn't work that way. Many people disagree with you. Gagner historically has a second half that is stronger than his first. This is also a fact. Strange isn't it?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Gilbert is not a 5-8 guy. MAB would be a better guess.

BTW, why do they need another 5-8 guy? They already have 9 dmen under contract. I would say they already have enough 5-8 guys.
Well he isn't a top 4 guy, so.......

Closed Thread