HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 08:11 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
WOW, another NHL star headed to the KHL.

@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Éric Bélanger will play in the KHL next season for Yekaterinburg. One year contract. #RDS
Expand
Yekaterinburg is the Saskatoon of Russia.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
If Gagner goes through arbitration, they'll be on the exact same terms - UFA next year.
I'm not really considering that possibility. It seems rather remote when you look at the history of arbitration. By all accounts the Oilers want Gagner re-signed, and he wants to stay. They're playing a game of chicken right now but in the end they both want a contract signed and it's a safe bet to say they'll get one done.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
WOW, another NHL star headed to the KHL.

@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Éric Bélanger will play in the KHL next season for Yekaterinburg. One year contract. #RDS
Expand

Didn't think it was possible but he just may have found a team so putrid that he will be the 1st line center. From what I see they won 7 games all year.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Didn't think it was possible but he just may have found a team so putrid that he will be the 1st line center. From what I see they won 7 games all year.
He's going to the KHL Oilers.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Yekaterinburg is the Saskatoon of Russia.
Is that a good or a bad thing? Saskatoon is a nice city.

Edit: Also a pretty good sign that Belanger had few if any NHL offers. Don't know what happened to the guy here, hopefully Gordon (and there's no real reason to think he will) doesn't suffer the same fate.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
If Belanger thought Edmonton was bad, can't wait to hear what he thinks of his new city.
Where do you get this idea that Belanger didn't like Edmonton?

Old
07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Didn't you hear that any player that leaves Edmonton automatically hates the city and wants it to burn?

Or did you miss the memo?

Also, Saskatoon is a nice city.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Yay! We don't have to see him again!

My opinion of Belanger can be summed up in one word:

Attachment 66005
pantywaste

Last edited by KlimasLoveChild: 12-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Good god no to Phaneuf, I don't want him anywhere near this team. Complete defensive liability, guy has no hockey sense whatsoever, he is a complete joke in his own end.

This is not a guy who you win with. If we could have him as our Potter (a 6/7 pp dman), sure, maybe you make room for him, but I've seen him way too much to think that he can actually play defense. He is awful in his own end, just awful. DO NOT WANT.
Im a Leaf fan and your 100% correct. Phaneuf having sandpaper is not accurate anymore. Those big hits have diminished, they are rare and that 20 goal defenseman in the first 3 years of his NHL career has also left him. He is not a good fighter either. Regarding his toughness, Phaneuf targets smaller players most of the time, like a bully and if u watch the Bruins series in the playoffs, Phaneuf was scared out of his mind to battle Chara and Lucic in front of the Leafs net. He did not engage them, they owned the front of the net and he was content to watch. This was so embarrassing to witness. U saw what he was made of, he was scared, he hides behind a scowl and prays tough guys dont call him out. His lack of hockey IQ when u watch him pinch, the timing is terrible, it cost the Leafs a playoff game. It looks like he is trolling with some of the decisions he makes all over the ice. He regularly QUITS during little one on one battles in the corner's, in the slot etc. Then u add 6.5 million cap hit, which is Norris trophy type of money. The cap hit vs what u get is severly outweighted in the wrong direction.

Old
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Im a Leaf fan and your 100% correct. Phaneuf having sandpaper is not accurate anymore. Those big hits have diminished, they are rare and that 20 goal defenseman in the first 3 years of his NHL career has also left him. He is not a good fighter either. Regarding his toughness, Phaneuf targets smaller players most of the time, like a bully and if u watch the Bruins series in the playoffs, Phaneuf was scared out of his mind to battle Chara and Lucic in front of the Leafs net. He did not engage them, they owned the front of the net and he was content to watch. This was so embarrassing to witness. U saw what he was made of, he was scared, he hides behind a scowl and prays tough guys dont call him out. His lack of hockey IQ when u watch him pinch, the timing is terrible, it cost the Leafs a playoff game. It looks like he is trolling with some of the decisions he makes all over the ice. He regularly QUITS during little one on one battles in the corner's, in the slot etc. Then u add 6.5 million cap hit, which is Norris trophy type of money. The cap hit vs what u get is severly outweighted in the wrong direction.
He definitely picks his spots when it comes to being "tough." And as for the low hockey IQ, I think he epitomizes the saying, "all the tools, no toolbox."

Old
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan98 View Post
With all the talk about Phaneuf on this thread i think i should give a leaf fans perspective.

I dont think the leafs will accept any deal for phaneuf unless RNH or Gagner is coming our way cuz the leafs will never win the cup with bozak as their 1C
How about Gagner for Franson and Colborne ?

Old
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Hemsky4PM

Will be interesting to see what Phaneuf gets as a UFA. I suspect he will top out at 5.25M on the open market. Personally, I don't see a fit in Edmonton where we really just need one more "transitional" to 4 guy for 3 seasons until Klefbom and Nurse are fixtures in the top 4. I wish we could find a diamond in the rough like Spacek was in 2006, or Oduya was for Chicago this season. Top 4 guys actually seem to move around frequently - one will probably be available in the first half of 2013 if some clubs really struggle. I can see Florida or Tampa having rough starts in their new division. Ditto Winnipeg. A good idea to scout then heavily.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have my "sources". (Or whatever you guys call them)

Where did you get the idea he did? (No offense, not trying to be snarky)

Old
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
topchowda

Phaneuf is a good 2 year option on our top pairing while waiting for D prospects to develop. However he is massively overpaid and very overrated. He is very bad defensively and we'd basically need Skid to babysit him most of the time.

I would do gagner for him, however with kadri they don't need another small offensive center. Maybe the deal kadri + Gardiner ( or other asset) for #1 center. Then get gags for 2c. But then their defense is probably worst in the league

Last edited by topchowda: 07-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
This thread isn't about Saskatoon...

Drop it.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How about Gagner for Franson and Colborne ?
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne+Franson would be too one sided.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Paralyzer008

Shoot me if you want, but I actually say Phaneuf is underrated on this board.

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne is still fairly unproven. I would add a bit to the deal to get him added but not a ton.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.
I generally agree with this

Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:

I'm not saying Fistric is better than Phaneuf, but Fistric had half the GA/60 and 0.30 better points/60 at EV strength compared to Phaneuf.

Phaneuf plays a ton of even strength minutes, but he isn't that good at it.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:

So who would be our second line center? Colborne. Please no

Old
07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
belair

Quote:

Franson is so overrated on HF. Who's he playing over? Petry? Schultz?

And if Colborne isn't a full-time NHLer at the end of 2014, it's safe to assume he's earned his 'bust' label.

Sam Gagner isn't as replaceable as posters on here like to assume.

Mikhail Grabovski isn't going to just step in and fill his shoes. One's a bonafide team-player, the other's a selfish ***** who chastises his coach for him being unable to earn his own contract.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Franson is so overrated on HF. Who's he playing over? Petry? Schultz?

And if Colborne isn't a full-time NHLer at the end of 2014, it's safe to assume he's earned his 'bust' label.

Sam Gagner isn't as replaceable as posters on here like to assume.

Mikhail Grabovski isn't going to just step in and fill his shoes. One's a bonafide team-player, the other's a selfish ***** who chastises his coach for him being unable to earn his own contract.
Gagner gets crapped on so much it's ridiculous. We make that trade and we get a #3/4 man and a center who hasn't been able to really do anything in the NHL and also hasn't been as good as expected in the AHL. The Gordon is our second line center oh goodie

Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Quote:

The problem is what it would cost to get Phaneuf AND his big salary.

It probably is getting to the point that he's underrated by many... but for that cost I'd want MANY other dmen instead of him.

Then there's his personality and reputation in the dressing room and off the ice. Even if only 10% of that is true... he's not really a player that fits into the "good chemistry and good team guy category".

So in short... yes he'd upgrade the Oilers dcore... hard not to since they are so bad, but for the cost and the potential crap he would bring with him... it's a pass.

I'd rather obtain other lower cost dmen who wouldn't be a potential nuisance in the dressing room, in and around a young developing team.

As for Fistric... I think he's a perfect #6/#7 dman... just like Sutton was. I wish they would have re-signed him. He's good defensively and hits like a truck. I never heard anything bad about him either.. seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
So who would be our second line center? Colborne. Please no
Sign one of Grabovski,Antropov, or Lombardi doesn't matter to me which one we get. I think we could get Grabovski if we told him he'd have a chance to play between Hall and Eberle. Then Perron, RNH, and Yakupov make up the second line.

Closed Thread