HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2013, 08:11 PM
  #901
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
WOW, another NHL star headed to the KHL.


@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Éric Bélanger will play in the KHL next season for Yekaterinburg. One year contract. #RDS
Expand
Yekaterinburg is the Saskatoon of Russia.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
  #902
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
If Gagner goes through arbitration, they'll be on the exact same terms - UFA next year.
I'm not really considering that possibility. It seems rather remote when you look at the history of arbitration. By all accounts the Oilers want Gagner re-signed, and he wants to stay. They're playing a game of chicken right now but in the end they both want a contract signed and it's a safe bet to say they'll get one done.

Asher is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
  #903
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
WOW, another NHL star headed to the KHL.


@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Éric Bélanger will play in the KHL next season for Yekaterinburg. One year contract. #RDS
Expand

Didn't think it was possible but he just may have found a team so putrid that he will be the 1st line center. From what I see they won 7 games all year.

KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  #904
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Didn't think it was possible but he just may have found a team so putrid that he will be the 1st line center. From what I see they won 7 games all year.
He's going to the KHL Oilers.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
  #905
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil
 
PeakOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Yekaterinburg is the Saskatoon of Russia.
Is that a good or a bad thing? Saskatoon is a nice city.

Edit: Also a pretty good sign that Belanger had few if any NHL offers. Don't know what happened to the guy here, hopefully Gordon (and there's no real reason to think he will) doesn't suffer the same fate.

PeakOil is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
  #906
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
If Belanger thought Edmonton was bad, can't wait to hear what he thinks of his new city.
Where do you get this idea that Belanger didn't like Edmonton?

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
  #907
Wheathead
Formally a McRib
 
Wheathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,871
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Where do you get this idea that Belanger didn't like Edmonton?
Didn't you hear that any player that leaves Edmonton automatically hates the city and wants it to burn?

Or did you miss the memo?

Also, Saskatoon is a nice city.

Wheathead is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
  #908
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Yay! We don't have to see him again!




My opinion of Belanger can be summed up in one word:



Attachment 66005
pantywaste


Last edited by KlimasLoveChild: 12-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.
KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
  #909
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Good god no to Phaneuf, I don't want him anywhere near this team. Complete defensive liability, guy has no hockey sense whatsoever, he is a complete joke in his own end.

This is not a guy who you win with. If we could have him as our Potter (a 6/7 pp dman), sure, maybe you make room for him, but I've seen him way too much to think that he can actually play defense. He is awful in his own end, just awful. DO NOT WANT.
Im a Leaf fan and your 100% correct. Phaneuf having sandpaper is not accurate anymore. Those big hits have diminished, they are rare and that 20 goal defenseman in the first 3 years of his NHL career has also left him. He is not a good fighter either. Regarding his toughness, Phaneuf targets smaller players most of the time, like a bully and if u watch the Bruins series in the playoffs, Phaneuf was scared out of his mind to battle Chara and Lucic in front of the Leafs net. He did not engage them, they owned the front of the net and he was content to watch. This was so embarrassing to witness. U saw what he was made of, he was scared, he hides behind a scowl and prays tough guys dont call him out. His lack of hockey IQ when u watch him pinch, the timing is terrible, it cost the Leafs a playoff game. It looks like he is trolling with some of the decisions he makes all over the ice. He regularly QUITS during little one on one battles in the corner's, in the slot etc. Then u add 6.5 million cap hit, which is Norris trophy type of money. The cap hit vs what u get is severly outweighted in the wrong direction.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
  #910
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Im a Leaf fan and your 100% correct. Phaneuf having sandpaper is not accurate anymore. Those big hits have diminished, they are rare and that 20 goal defenseman in the first 3 years of his NHL career has also left him. He is not a good fighter either. Regarding his toughness, Phaneuf targets smaller players most of the time, like a bully and if u watch the Bruins series in the playoffs, Phaneuf was scared out of his mind to battle Chara and Lucic in front of the Leafs net. He did not engage them, they owned the front of the net and he was content to watch. This was so embarrassing to witness. U saw what he was made of, he was scared, he hides behind a scowl and prays tough guys dont call him out. His lack of hockey IQ when u watch him pinch, the timing is terrible, it cost the Leafs a playoff game. It looks like he is trolling with some of the decisions he makes all over the ice. He regularly QUITS during little one on one battles in the corner's, in the slot etc. Then u add 6.5 million cap hit, which is Norris trophy type of money. The cap hit vs what u get is severly outweighted in the wrong direction.
He definitely picks his spots when it comes to being "tough." And as for the low hockey IQ, I think he epitomizes the saying, "all the tools, no toolbox."

Asher is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  #911
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,299
vCash: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan98 View Post
With all the talk about Phaneuf on this thread i think i should give a leaf fans perspective.

I dont think the leafs will accept any deal for phaneuf unless RNH or Gagner is coming our way cuz the leafs will never win the cup with bozak as their 1C
How about Gagner for Franson and Colborne ?

raab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
  #912
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Will be interesting to see what Phaneuf gets as a UFA. I suspect he will top out at 5.25M on the open market. Personally, I don't see a fit in Edmonton where we really just need one more "transitional" to 4 guy for 3 seasons until Klefbom and Nurse are fixtures in the top 4. I wish we could find a diamond in the rough like Spacek was in 2006, or Oduya was for Chicago this season. Top 4 guys actually seem to move around frequently - one will probably be available in the first half of 2013 if some clubs really struggle. I can see Florida or Tampa having rough starts in their new division. Ditto Winnipeg. A good idea to scout then heavily.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
  #913
RisingSun
Registered User
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Where do you get this idea that Belanger didn't like Edmonton?
I have my "sources". (Or whatever you guys call them)

Where did you get the idea he did? (No offense, not trying to be snarky)

RisingSun is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  #914
topchowda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Phaneuf is a good 2 year option on our top pairing while waiting for D prospects to develop. However he is massively overpaid and very overrated. He is very bad defensively and we'd basically need Skid to babysit him most of the time.

I would do gagner for him, however with kadri they don't need another small offensive center. Maybe the deal kadri + Gardiner ( or other asset) for #1 center. Then get gags for 2c. But then their defense is probably worst in the league


Last edited by topchowda: 07-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
topchowda is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
  #915
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 1115
This thread isn't about Saskatoon...

Drop it.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
  #916
nexttothemoon
10 again
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How about Gagner for Franson and Colborne ?
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne+Franson would be too one sided.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:47 PM
  #917
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,118
vCash: 500
Shoot me if you want, but I actually say Phaneuf is underrated on this board.

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
  #918
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,299
vCash: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne+Franson would be too one sided.
Colborne is still fairly unproven. I would add a bit to the deal to get him added but not a ton.

raab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
  #919
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Shoot me if you want, but I actually say Phaneuf is underrated on this board.

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.
I generally agree with this

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
  #920
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,112
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Shoot me if you want, but I actually say Phaneuf is underrated on this board.

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.
I'm not saying Fistric is better than Phaneuf, but Fistric had half the GA/60 and 0.30 better points/60 at EV strength compared to Phaneuf.

Phaneuf plays a ton of even strength minutes, but he isn't that good at it.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:55 PM
  #921
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne+Franson would be too one sided.
So who would be our second line center? Colborne. Please no

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
  #922
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd love that deal... can't see the Leafs doing it though. I'd be happy with just Gagner for Franson and then sign a UFA C... still a couple decent ones out there.

Colborne+Franson would be too one sided.
Franson is so overrated on HF. Who's he playing over? Petry? Schultz?

And if Colborne isn't a full-time NHLer at the end of 2014, it's safe to assume he's earned his 'bust' label.

Sam Gagner isn't as replaceable as posters on here like to assume.

Mikhail Grabovski isn't going to just step in and fill his shoes. One's a bonafide team-player, the other's a selfish ***** who chastises his coach for him being unable to earn his own contract.

belair is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
  #923
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Franson is so overrated on HF. Who's he playing over? Petry? Schultz?

And if Colborne isn't a full-time NHLer at the end of 2014, it's safe to assume he's earned his 'bust' label.

Sam Gagner isn't as replaceable as posters on here like to assume.

Mikhail Grabovski isn't going to just step in and fill his shoes. One's a bonafide team-player, the other's a selfish ***** who chastises his coach for him being unable to earn his own contract.
Gagner gets crapped on so much it's ridiculous. We make that trade and we get a #3/4 man and a center who hasn't been able to really do anything in the NHL and also hasn't been as good as expected in the AHL. The Gordon is our second line center oh goodie

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
  #924
nexttothemoon
10 again
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Shoot me if you want, but I actually say Phaneuf is underrated on this board.

Everyone craps on him 24/7, I've seen more love for freaking Fistric than I have for Phaneuf. Kind of ridiculous.

He's underrated on the Oilers board, although I could concur he's overrated on the Leafs board, and they crap on him too.
The problem is what it would cost to get Phaneuf AND his big salary.

It probably is getting to the point that he's underrated by many... but for that cost I'd want MANY other dmen instead of him.

Then there's his personality and reputation in the dressing room and off the ice. Even if only 10% of that is true... he's not really a player that fits into the "good chemistry and good team guy category".

So in short... yes he'd upgrade the Oilers dcore... hard not to since they are so bad, but for the cost and the potential crap he would bring with him... it's a pass.

I'd rather obtain other lower cost dmen who wouldn't be a potential nuisance in the dressing room, in and around a young developing team.


As for Fistric... I think he's a perfect #6/#7 dman... just like Sutton was. I wish they would have re-signed him. He's good defensively and hits like a truck. I never heard anything bad about him either.. seemed like a pretty nice guy.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
  #925
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,299
vCash: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
So who would be our second line center? Colborne. Please no
Sign one of Grabovski,Antropov, or Lombardi doesn't matter to me which one we get. I think we could get Grabovski if we told him he'd have a chance to play between Hall and Eberle. Then Perron, RNH, and Yakupov make up the second line.

raab is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.