HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2013, 11:07 PM
  #926
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
WOW, another NHL star headed to the KHL.


@RenLavoieRDS 2m
Éric Bélanger will play in the KHL next season for Yekaterinburg. One year contract. #RDS
Expand

Del Preston is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  #927
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 50
I bet Belanger isn't even good enough for the KHL haha

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
  #928
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Franson is so overrated on HF. Who's he playing over? Petry? Schultz?

And if Colborne isn't a full-time NHLer at the end of 2014, it's safe to assume he's earned his 'bust' label.

Sam Gagner isn't as replaceable as posters on here like to assume.

Mikhail Grabovski isn't going to just step in and fill his shoes. One's a bonafide team-player, the other's a selfish ***** who chastises his coach for him being unable to earn his own contract.
Posted the d earlier but here's with trade and signing Grabovski.

Hall-Grabovski-Eberle
Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Hamilton-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Colborne-Brown
Smyth

Smid-Franson
Ference-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Belov, Larsen

Dubnyk
Lababera

Colborne a ready for full time NHL action and from watching him this year looked like he could develop into a good shut down guy two way guy.

raab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:13 PM
  #929
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Sign one of Grabovski,Antropov, or Lombardi doesn't matter to me which one we get. I think we could get Grabovski if we told him he'd have a chance to play between Hall and Eberle. Then Perron, RNH, and Yakupov make up the second line.
Lombardi isnt a second line center and Antropov barely is. Grabovski is though. They would probably do a good enough job but I don't know if it's worth it

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:15 PM
  #930
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Posted the d earlier but here's with trade and signing Grabovski.

Hall-Grabovski-Eberle
Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Hamilton-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Colborne-Brown
Smyth

Smid-Franson
Ference-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Belov, Larsen

Dubnyk
Lababera

Colborne a ready for full time NHL action and from watching him this year looked like he could develop into a good shut down guy two way guy.
Franson on the top pairing is a disaster waiting to happen.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:15 PM
  #931
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Posted the d earlier but here's with trade and signing Grabovski.

Hall-Grabovski-Eberle
Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Hamilton-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Colborne-Brown
Smyth

Smid-Franson
Ference-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Belov, Larsen

Dubnyk
Lababera

Colborne a ready for full time NHL action and from watching him this year looked like he could develop into a good shut down guy two way guy.
That's not too bad but get Hamilton off the third line ****

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:17 PM
  #932
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,848
vCash: 500
I'd rather just keep Gagner and sign Gilbert.

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Gilbert

We could call that last d pairing the "Tambellini trade special."

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  #933
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 50
I actually like Gagner, but Franson is a very good dman who would fit in well with the Oilers... exactly what they need.

Obviously Gagner at 2C is a valuable asset and a C would have to be signed to replace him. Grabovski is better than Gagner imo but has "issues" as well.

Ideally the trade would have been done earlier and the Oilers could have gone hard after a good UFA centre to replace Gagner.

Now it's tougher as there's less out there...
Antropov
Grabovski

That's about it.

I agree it's tougher now because with RNH injured and MacT doing essentially nothing to help the C depth on this team beyond swapping Horcoff for Gordon... the Oilers have basically painted themselves into a corner and HAVE to sign Gagner now, even if a great deal to upgrade elsewhere is looking at them square in the face.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
  #934
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Franson on the top pairing is a disaster waiting to happen.
He played top pairing for the leafs in the playoffs, and I'd split the time even between the top 4. Something like 22 mins a night each for the top two pairings then the third pairing get 16min. Rely on the whole defence more so then one guy. Obviously I'd love to have a guy like Pietrangelo here but that not going to happen unless we're extremely fortunate, so we have to go with a defence by committee that's well rounded.

raab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:20 PM
  #935
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
That's not too bad but get Hamilton off the third line ****
I wasn't sure who to put in there, would love to see Penner back for that spot then trade Hemsky for a 3rd line RW.

raab is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:22 PM
  #936
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Franson on the top pairing is a disaster waiting to happen.
Yup. 2nd easiest competition and worst EVGA/60 on the Leafs' D.

Throw him to the wolves and he'll get eaten alive.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:22 PM
  #937
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post

BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
  #938
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'd rather just keep Gagner and sign Gilbert.

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Gilbert

We could call that last d pairing the "Tambellini trade special."
The problem with signing Gilbert is that he doesn't really upgrade the d appreciably... he's just another mediocre dman amongst the rest of them.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
  #939
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Posted the d earlier but here's with trade and signing Grabovski.

Hall-Grabovski-Eberle
Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Hamilton-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Colborne-Brown
Smyth

Smid-Franson
Ference-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Belov, Larsen

Dubnyk
Lababera

Colborne a ready for full time NHL action and from watching him this year looked like he could develop into a good shut down guy two way guy.
So Franson is a top-pairing defenseman?

Better than Petry? Better than Schultz?

Before we make that trade, let's watch him for one more season in Toronto. I guarantee you'll watch his stats come back down to Earth. The big difference is that he'll have a $4M contract attached to him.

He's not a bad d-man. But he's not a great one either. He's a lower-tier, second pairing defenseman.

And you read what I said about Grabovski earlier. Now he's our #1C in between our two franchise wingers....If he pansies out there, who's he blaming now?

No more losers.

belair is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:25 PM
  #940
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'd rather just keep Gagner and sign Gilbert.

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Gilbert

We could call that last d pairing the "Tambellini trade special."
That pairing would block 600 shots per year.

belair is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:25 PM
  #941
HeavyHitter99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I wasn't sure who to put in there, would love to see Penner back for that spot then trade Hemsky for a 3rd line RW.
Sign Penner and trade Hemsky + rajala (+ maybe a pick) to Columbus for Nick Foligno. Penner would play RW.

Foligno-Gordon-Penner BOOM

HeavyHitter99 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:26 PM
  #942
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I actually like Gagner, but Franson is a very good dman who would fit in well with the Oilers... exactly what they need.

Obviously Gagner at 2C is a valuable asset and a C would have to be signed to replace him. Grabovski is better than Gagner imo but has "issues" as well.

Ideally the trade would have been done earlier and the Oilers could have gone hard after a good UFA centre to replace Gagner.

Now it's tougher as there's less out there...
Antropov
Grabovski

That's about it.

I agree it's tougher now because with RNH injured and MacT doing essentially nothing to help the C depth on this team beyond swapping Horcoff for Gordon... the Oilers have basically painted themselves into a corner and HAVE to sign Gagner now, even if a great deal to upgrade elsewhere is looking at them square in the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He played top pairing for the leafs in the playoffs, and I'd split the time even between the top 4. Something like 22 mins a night each for the top two pairings then the third pairing get 16min. Rely on the whole defence more so then one guy. Obviously I'd love to have a guy like Pietrangelo here but that not going to happen unless we're extremely fortunate, so we have to go with a defence by committee that's well rounded.
He's not a reliable Top 4 defender by either observation or advanced stats. His Vollman is horrible and when you see him play you can see why. He's a 5-6 guy based off last year's performance.

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:28 PM
  #943
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The problem with signing Gilbert is that he doesn't really upgrade the d appreciably... he's just another mediocre dman amongst the rest of them.
So is Franson.

So why not keep the Gagner asset and get a similar quality d-man for free?

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:29 PM
  #944
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
So Franson is a top-pairing defenseman?

Better than Petry? Better than Schultz?

Before we make that trade, let's watch him for one more season in Toronto. I guarantee you'll watch his stats come back down to Earth. The big difference is that he'll have a $4M contract attached to him.

He's not a bad d-man. But he's not a great one either. He's a lower-tier, second pairing defenseman.

And you read what I said about Grabovski earlier. Now he's our #1C in between our two franchise wingers....If he pansies out there, who's he blaming now?

No more losers.
I think Franson would be the best Oilers dman... you have to look at the offense he contributes to as well as his play in his own end. Looking at his total contribution he's a very solid dman, better than anyone the Oilers have right now.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:30 PM
  #945
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
So is Franson.

So why not keep the Gagner asset and get a similar quality d-man for free?
Because apparently we can replace him with a mediocre centreman.

belair is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:32 PM
  #946
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Did anyone else notice that our PRO SCOUTS, the same PRO SCOUTS who helped Tambo make some terrible moves, were the MAIN guys who decided on Jesse Joensuu?

This guy has a roster spot people. He's kind of the reason why we won't sign a Morrow or a Cleary.

Am I just prematurely bashing a guy with 15 points in 67 career games?

Paralyzer008 is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:32 PM
  #947
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I think Franson would be the best Oilers dman... you have to look at the offense he contributes to as well as his play in his own end. Looking at his total contribution he's a very solid dman, better than anyone the Oilers have right now.
I see someone with a lot of secondary assists who bleeds goals against.

He'd be lucky to be our 4th or 5th best D, imo.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:33 PM
  #948
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I think Franson would be the best Oilers dman... you have to look at the offense he contributes to as well as his play in his own end. Looking at his total contribution he's a very solid dman, better than anyone the Oilers have right now.
I'm from Ontario, I have.

If you think he'd be our best defenseman, I can't describe how wrong you are.

belair is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
  #949
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Did anyone else notice that our PRO SCOUTS, the same PRO SCOUTS who helped Tambo make some terrible moves, were the MAIN guys who decided on Jesse Joensuu?

This guy has a roster spot people. He's kind of the reason why we won't sign a Morrow or a Cleary.

Am I just prematurely bashing a guy with 15 points in 67 career games?
'Low risk, high reward' or another potential Ryan Smyth?

$900,000 two-way or $4M one-way?

If Joensuu doesn't make the team, he will clear waivers. That's why we signed him to a two year deal.

belair is online now  
Old
07-15-2013, 11:37 PM
  #950
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
He's not a reliable Top 4 defender by either observation or advanced stats. His Vollman is horrible and when you see him play you can see why. He's a 5-6 guy based off last year's performance.
He played close to 19 min a night last season with Toronto, and during the playoffs had two games where he was over 25 minutes. He's definitely a top 4 dman. The guy is finally starting to get it at 25 and if he's available nows the time to get him because by this time next year people are going to wonder why Nashville ever traded the guy. I've watched a lot of leafs games and out of all the d men Franson would be the one I want.

raab is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.