HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade and Proposals Thread XXXVII: Is MacT mostly done?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 11:37 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Sign Penner and trade Hemsky + rajala (+ maybe a pick) to Columbus for Nick Foligno. Penner would play RW.

Foligno-Gordon-Penner BOOM
Sign me up, I love the looks of that line.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:38 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
He's not a reliable Top 4 defender by either observation or advanced stats. His Vollman is horrible and when you see him play you can see why. He's a 5-6 guy based off last year's performance.

Umm... have you watched the Oilers dmen play? That's a rhetorical question because we all have.. and none of them are "good" top 4 dmen. They all have flaws in their game. Not enough offense, not good enough defensively... too soft, too slow etc.

Franson is a better all around dman than anything the oilers currently have.

His advanced stats are actually remarkably good... when you look at a larger, long term view... the last 4 years...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...p&sortdir=DESC

And his individual scoring stats...

No one comes close to those stats on the Oilers.

Franson's teammate quality and quality of competition is not appreciably worse/better than the rest of his teammates. Those advanced stats based on Corsi and the level of competition are overblown.

Look at the real world results... does his team outscore the competition when he is on the ice at even strength... yes. Does he contribute offensively to a large degree... yes.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
He gets decent results playing easy competition. Put him on a top pairing or second pairing with this group of Oilers defenders and it's a disaster waiting to happen, like I said.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-15-2013, 11:43 PM
dnicks17

Franson was at or near the top of the league in On Ice SH% and Secondary Assists/60.

His EV strength scoring(which contributes to over half of his production) comes as close to a fluke as you can get.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:48 PM
HeavyHitter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Sign me up, I love the looks of that line.
Right? I want Foligno on the Oil so bad haha. Even if we have to retain some salary I would still do it. I think the BJs would do it too

Old
07-15-2013, 11:51 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I guess we all see what you want to see in those advanced stats.

I know I'd love to have more flukey defensemen that get results like Franson.

Unfortunately the Oilers never seem to have much luck in that category.

Old
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
I'd rather just keep Gagner and sign Gilbert.

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Gilbert

We could call that last d pairing the "Tambellini trade special."
I would be happy with this, Neither of Petry or J. Schultz were consistent last year, I'm sure there was many nights our coaching staff wanted to cut one of the two's ice-time, but when the next player you have is Potter or Whitney that isn't a terribly appealing choice. Much like Chicago leaned on Rozsival to play more minutes on many nights when someone was under-performing, Gilbert could serve a similar role here.

Old
Agent Zero

We need one of our forwards from the farm to step up during training camp and fill a checking role. I haven't been following the farm team at all. Would Hamilton or Pitlick making the team to play on the 3rd line be asking too much? Both were drafted with hopes of making the big club. And my understanding is they both have size and play a physical game.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:52 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

#1 Mark Fraser
#2 ---------------
#3 Matt Lashoff
Quote:

And his individual scoring stats...

#1 ---------------
#2 Jeff Finger
I'm all for digging into the Corsi, Fenwick, etc, etc when trying to prove a point. But having his name tossed in with those all-stars doesn't bode well for the argument, IMO.

Watching him for the past couple seasons...Live twice...He's a bottom-end #4 in the NHL. And that's being nice.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:57 PM
dnicks17

Franson and Fraser played the easiest competition and regularly played with the Leafs' top6 when they did.

Look at Franson's GF20 with Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, etc. if you don't think that season was a fluke.

Lupul with Franson had 2.5 times the GF20 of Hall with Justin Schultz.

You can't tell me that isn't a flukey number.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:01 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Did anyone else notice that our PRO SCOUTS, the same PRO SCOUTS who helped Tambo make some terrible moves, were the MAIN guys who decided on Jesse Joensuu?

This guy has a roster spot people. He's kind of the reason why we won't sign a Morrow or a Cleary.

Am I just prematurely bashing a guy with 15 points in 67 career games?
I definitely have my doubts about the pro scouts. If some of these recent moves don't come close to panning out I hope MacT overhauls the entire department.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:02 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well that actually isn't anything to do with Fenwick or Corsi (dubious stats imo).

They are simply showing the pts per 60 minutes that a player produces.... and whether his team scores more than getting scored on when a player is on the ice.

Lashoff is a small sample size (700 minutes EV time)... and has no individual offensive abilities... as is shown in those stats (and by watching him).

Finger actually was decent offensively at EV but wasn't good in his own end... also shown in the stats.

Again you can twist and turn stats to say whatever you want them to say.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Well that actually isn't anything to do with Fenwick or Corsi (dubious stats imo).

They are simply showing the pts per 60 minutes that a player produces.... and whether his team scores more than getting scored on when a player is on the ice.

Lashoff is a small sample size (700 minutes EV time)... and has no individual offensive abilities... as is shown in those stats (and by watching him).

Finger actually was decent offensively at EV but wasn't good in his own end... also shown in the stats.

Again you can twist and turn stats to say whatever you want them to say.
I guess the question is do you like his stats enough to trade Gagner for him?

Franson isn't worthless - but I don't think trading Gagner for him would be a good move at all.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Franson and Fraser played the easiest competition and regularly played with the Leafs' top6 when they did.

Look at Franson's GF20 with Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, etc. if you don't think that season was a fluke.

Lupul with Franson had 2.5 times the GF20 of Hall with Justin Schultz.

You can't tell me that isn't a flukey number.
It couldn't have anything to do with Franson being a better offensive weapon then Schultz right? I watched Franson a lot last year and during the playoffs he's really growing and I have no reason to think he's not gong to be a number 1 d man within 2 years.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...012-13&sit=5v5

Those numbers look solid to me. I wish some Oilers dmen could put numbers like that up... "fluke" or not.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:14 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It couldn't have anything to do with Franson being a better offensive weapon then Schultz right? I watched Franson a lot last year and during the playoffs he's really growing and I have no reason to think he's not gong to be a number 1 d man within 2 years.
Having 2.5 times Hall's GF/20 isn't a small task.

I don't think you realize how much better Franson would have to be for that to make sense.

Quote:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...012-13&sit=5v5

Those numbers look solid to me. I wish some Oilers dmen could put numbers like that up... "fluke" or not.
Depends on what you're looking at.

I'm sure any Oilers defenseman could have numbers like that if they had players scoring at 2+ GF/20 playing with them too.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:22 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
I guess the question is do you like his stats enough to trade Gagner for him?

Franson isn't worthless - but I don't think trading Gagner for him would be a good move at all.
Well yes I WOULD trade Gagner for Franson straight up... but I freely admit the Oilers are in a tough spot because they obviously need a #2 C and they have crap depth at that spot... blame that on Tambo AND MacT ******** the bed in acquiring solid talent down the middle.

It's likely a no-go because of the RNH injury and Gordon/Lander being the only "weapons" to fill the void.

We need a big 3-way deal... Franson+Little to the Oilers... Gagner+Kulemin to the Jets... and Wheeler+Petry to the Leafs... or something like that... change it up to balance it out with minor pieces/picks.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Well yes I WOULD trade Gagner for Franson straight up... but I freely admit the Oilers are in a tough spot because they obviously need a #2 C and they have crap depth at that spot... blame that on Tambo AND MacT ******** the bed in acquiring solid talent down the middle.

It's likely a no-go because of the RNH injury and Gordon/Lander being the only "weapons" to fill the void.

We need a big 3-way deal... Franson+Little to the Oilers... Gagner+Kulemin to the Jets... and Wheeler+Petry to the Leafs... or something like that... change it up to balance it out with minor pieces/picks.
Gagner + Petry is a much better combination to have than Franson + Little, but that's IMHO.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:30 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
We need one of our forwards from the farm to step up during training camp and fill a checking role. I haven't been following the farm team at all. Would Hamilton or Pitlick making the team to play on the 3rd line be asking too much? Both were drafted with hopes of making the big club. And my understanding is they both have size and play a physical game.
Not a chance

Old
07-16-2013, 12:32 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter99 View Post
Right? I want Foligno on the Oil so bad haha. Even if we have to retain some salary I would still do it. I think the BJs would do it too
I've liked Foligno since his Ottawa days be nice to see him on the team.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:32 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Why the **** would we want to do Gags and Petry for Little and Franson?

07-16-2013, 12:39 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

I don't think you realize how much better Franson would have to be for that to make sense.

I'm sure any Oilers defenseman could have numbers like that if they had players scoring at 2+ GF/20 playing with them too.
Franson has a laser beam from the point so he plays a ton on the PP and gets a ton of rebounds for guys to get easy tap ins on top of his fantastic passing skills. It makes sense that he'd have a higher GF/20.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:48 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:

Ya like I said... you can twist stats all you want and say they are flukes. We'll see if Franson can continue to play as well this coming season... I think he will.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post

Well because they are better and would be an upgrade obviously ... but that was a sample trade... you are welcome to put yours up and we can shoot yours down as well.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:01 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I have no idea why we'd throw in Petry. I think Gagner for Franson would be a steal for us.

....if we could fill that gaping 2C hole.

Closed Thread