HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Barnaby Hoping For More Time

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2003, 05:15 AM
  #26
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,253
vCash: 500
Look at the source...

of where that's coming from...all the sudden Lindros' word is gospel?

But seriously, I don't have much problem with Barnaby being on this team, but if he's going to be on a fourth line, I'd rather have both Lacouture and Petro. Why? Besides paying on the fourth line, they kill penalties, which is something that's needed on this team. Further, I believed that Barnaby would slip through the waiver process easier than Petro. Matty put up his numbers on a top line, and nobody's going to play him there, he's a 3/4 line guy, and what team out there's going to put up $1.6 million for that at this stage of the season? A guy who's <$500K for a guy who's young, can be a bit productive, aggressive, can kill penalties and take care of himself is a different story.

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:11 AM
  #27
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
of where that's coming from...all the sudden Lindros' word is gospel?
No, it's not gospel. However, it IS the word of a current teamate. What is he doing, lying?

"and what team out there's going to put up $1.6 million for that at this stage of the season?"

You'd be surprised. I think that you have a better chance of seeing Petro slip through than Barnaby. Some playoff bound team in need of character players would pounce on him. Heck, Muckler would probably snatch him up..

I really fail to see where the anti-Barnaby sentiment comes from. Aneirin just does not like him and nothing will change his mind. I seem to recall you (Fletch) not being a major fan of his either. That's all fine and good, however I fail to see how one can make an argument for keeping any of Simon, Petro, or Lac over Matty. I just cannot fathom it. We always talk about gutless mercenaries, yet here is a guy who genuienly wants to be here and who was one of the only players who played with any type of pride and heart last year, and here he is being thrown under the bus.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:32 AM
  #28
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,253
vCash: 500
A team doesn't need to...

pay and play Barnaby an entire season. He'd be a nice March acquisition though, when the obligation is minimal. Most teams that can afford him, don't really need him at this point. Most teams in the league aren't looking to spend $1.6 million on a 3/4 liner. Many teams, I believe, wouldn't mind a 23 year old, who can play a fourth line, an who can kill penalties, and who is physical, and who is paid like a fourth liner.

This is not anti-Barnaby sentiment. And I'm not a major fan of Barnaby, but I recognize his value on this team. But, to me, he's easily replaced, especially given the fact that he's going to be playing on a fourth line. And again, the only reason I keep Petro over Barnaby is his ability to kill penalties - neither will score a bunch on a fourth line, but Petro has that added benefit, and he likely will take fewer stupid penalties.

Why keep Simon? I'm not formulating an opinion here - just being logical in the fact that Sather didn't acquire a guy to put on the wire. Lacouture? As a fourth liner, he's younger and more useful. I just went over Petro. Further, neither Lac or Petro are gutless mercenaries. They are young, cheap guys that bring a lot of energy, and both of whom I did notice fighting this preseason. And again, they're capable fourth liners who kill penaties.

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:40 AM
  #29
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Fletch, I am not going to argue your points, however there are 2 points that I take umberage with.

"and he likely will take fewer stupid penalties. "

I keep hearing about these supposed stupid penalties that Barnaby took last year and for the life of me, I cannot seem to recall many games where I've said "Wow, that Barnaby is killing us with these moronic penalties". Yes, he took penalties. Who didn't? But he drew FAR more than he took. And many times that he did take a penalty, he took a player from the other team off with him. Say what you want and argue what you will, however singling out Barnaby for stupid penalties from last year is simply not accurate. Start win Lindros, Holik, Messier and then go from there.

"Lacouture? As a fourth liner, he's younger and more useful. "

I like Lac. I really do. But he IS NOT more useful than Matty. What he is though, is a favorite of Sather from his Edmonton days. A major reason that Sather likes him to begin with is becuase he is an original Sather pick.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
  #30
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
pay and play Barnaby an entire season. He'd be a nice March acquisition though, when the obligation is minimal. Most teams that can afford him, don't really need him at this point. Most teams in the league aren't looking to spend $1.6 million on a 3/4 liner. Many teams, I believe, wouldn't mind a 23 year old, who can play a fourth line, an who can kill penalties, and who is physical, and who is paid like a fourth liner.

This is not anti-Barnaby sentiment. And I'm not a major fan of Barnaby, but I recognize his value on this team. But, to me, he's easily replaced, especially given the fact that he's going to be playing on a fourth line. And again, the only reason I keep Petro over Barnaby is his ability to kill penalties - neither will score a bunch on a fourth line, but Petro has that added benefit, and he likely will take fewer stupid penalties.

Why keep Simon? I'm not formulating an opinion here - just being logical in the fact that Sather didn't acquire a guy to put on the wire. Lacouture? As a fourth liner, he's younger and more useful. I just went over Petro. Further, neither Lac or Petro are gutless mercenaries. They are young, cheap guys that bring a lot of energy, and both of whom I did notice fighting this preseason. And again, they're capable fourth liners who kill penaties.
I think when it comes down to Petro, Lac and Barnaby which two add the most to the team. IMO Petro and Lac are very similar players with Petro being a touch better than Lac offensively and Lac being better defensively. With that said, this team really only needs one of those players. Yeah Petro kills penalties but he is not going to play ahead of Nedved, Lac, Rucinsky, and Messier (let's be honest here). I have little doubt that Lac can match 14 points that Petro produced last season (although this team should not need him to). And, Lac is bigger.

Barnaby is a different player from both of those guys. Yes he scored more than both Petro and Lac (he should playing on the top line although Petro did play with Nedved and Dvorak for the majority of the season) but he adds an eliment that this team. There is not another player on the Rangers who can agitate and pester opposing forwards and defensemen like Barnaby can. If you throw him on a line with Holik and Lundmark I think you'll see the best that Barnaby has to offer. Between Barnaby and Holik I think there would many a frustrated opposing top lines. He's more than a fourth liner which I don't think can be said about Lac and Petro.

I'll put it to you this way: there is no way that you would trade Barnaby for Petro or Lacouture.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:46 AM
  #31
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,253
vCash: 500
Tb...

you're comparing a Barnaby with 12+ minutes of ice time to Lacouture with 6-8 minutes of ice time (with PK time). So yes, in that respect, Barnaby is more useful, but I'm talking about who's going to be on that fourth line.

Signin' mentions him on a line with Holik, et al, but that hasn't been seen in preseason and it seems as though Simon may have the inside track on that one. And this isn't an opinion coming from me as to who should be on that line, it's me guessing what Sather will do.

Personally I wouldn't hate Barnaby being on a line with Holik and Lundmark and Messier centering Lacouture and Petro, but Simon is here and that's why I've left Matty out.

As for stupid penalties...they're palentiful. Everytime that guy goes to the box you can see the expression on his face (a trademark of his), complaining about the call - which is typically after a stupid penalty.

Would I make that trade? If I'm on a team that has normal payroll contstraints, want to get younger, a bit faster, needed help on the PK, and needed a fourth liner? I may think about it.

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:09 AM
  #32
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
As for stupid penalties...they're palentiful. Everytime that guy goes to the box you can see the expression on his face (a trademark of his), complaining about the call - which is typically after a stupid penalty.
C'mon Fletch. I watched the game last year as much as you did. Barnaby simply did not take nearly as many stupid penatlies as you are implying. Actuall, very few of his penalties were deemed as "stupid". I do not recall any time last year that I thought that his penalies were costing us the game. Yes, he did take them. Yes, some of them were of the "stupid" variety. But that sort was few and far between and not nearly as much as virtually anyone else on the team.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 09:55 AM
  #33
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneirin
Excuse me but this is Lindros who's talking here. The same guy who is insisting on playing hockey after having 7 concussions and who is risking not only permanent brain damage but quite realistically death. The same guy who's brother has already suffered brain damage for the very same reason. The same guy who let his father and mother manage his hockey career not just in juniors, but in adult life. The same guy who wouldn't tell Philly's trainer that he was suffering from another concussion because he was afraid of <i>Bobby Clarke's</i> displeasure. You want to trust his judgement? Good god, TB, that's absolutely insane.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.......Just becuase a guy choose to play with concussions does not suddenly make him a person of questionable character. I have my problems w/Lindros, but it has nothing to do with the fact that the guy is voicing his own opinion. By your logic, any voluntay soldier that goes to war should be automatically ignored when he speaks becuase he has done what not many people volunteer to do. Just becuase a guy has been shot at, does not mean that when he speaks his mind that he is automatically wrong. Good God, Aneirin, that's absolutely insane.
So the guy has a brother that has had concussions. Does that mean that he is not qualified to judge a teamates character? So the guy risks his own life by playing hockey. How does that make him a worse judge of a person than you? So he did not get along w/ Clarke. What does that have to do with him wanting Barnaby on his team?

"Now witness Barnaby's own remarks from today's papers. God, it's good when the prosecution has a defendant who makes his case for him."

I did see his comments. And the only person who thinks that Barnaby is prosecuting himself is you. Since you despise him, you take everything that comes out of his mouth as a furthering of your poor opinion of him. You've yet to prove any of the things that you keep claiming.
Me saying that becuase you are a Rangers fan, you cannot be trusted to judge hockey players is the same as you saying that becuase Lindros has a brother who has concussions, he cannot be trusted to speak his mind.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 10:04 AM
  #34
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneirin
Now witness Barnaby's <i>own</i> remarks from today's papers. God, it's good when the prosecution has a defendant who makes his case for him.
"I think any time you're in a waiver draft, you don't feel wanted. That's just my feeling on it."

Is he wrong?

Well what would you have him say?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:02 AM
  #35
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneirin
Didn't say he had questionable character, just questionable judgement.
Ahh, I see. Becuase Brett Lindros had his career ended by consusions, Eric Lindros has horrible judgement. Becuase Lindros does not like Clarke, he has bad judgement.

"Not this

Asked if he wants to be claimed, Barnaby said it was "an easy question" and people could draw their own conclusions"

I FINALLY see your point. I can clearly tell from this how Barnaby is 1) a primadonna 2) a kiss-ass 3) two-faced 4) a disruption in the locker room.
I can clearly see how a person who when asked if they wanted to be claimed of wiavers responds by saying it's an easy question, is obviously a locker room disruption. And saying that peopel can draw their own conclusions is EXACTLY the words of a promadonna. I thik I saw those very words in the primadonna by-laws.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:09 AM
  #36
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ahh, I see. Becuase Brett Lindros had his career ended by consusions, Eric Lindros has horrible judgement. Becuase Lindros does not like Clarke, he has bad judgement.

"Not this

Asked if he wants to be claimed, Barnaby said it was "an easy question" and people could draw their own conclusions"

I FINALLY see your point. I can clearly tell from this how Barnaby is 1) a primadonna 2) a kiss-ass 3) two-faced 4) a disruption in the locker room.
I can clearly see how a person who when asked if they wanted to be claimed of wiavers responds by saying it's an easy question, is obviously a locker room disruption. And saying that peopel can draw their own conclusions is EXACTLY the words of a promadonna. I thik I saw those very words in the primadonna by-laws.
Good thing I picked up that book on sarcasm last week

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 03:05 PM
  #37
Ranger Wolf
Registered User
 
Ranger Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneirin
'I can clearly see how a person who when asked if they wanted to be claimed of wiavers responds by saying it's an easy question'

Let's ask the audience what the correct answer should be.

Audience?

<i>Hell, no. I love it here. This is my team. We're going all the way this year. No way I want to leave this organization!</i>
I haven't agreed with you on much aneirin, but on this I do. If he is such a good character guy, team first, and all that, he should be saying he wants to stay and do everything he can to ensure the team is successful. It sure looks like he is looking out for number 1 (or 36) and not all the Ranger numbers.

Ranger Wolf is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:37 PM
  #38
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf
I haven't agreed with you on much aneirin, but on this I do. If he is such a good character guy, team first, and all that, he should be saying he wants to stay and do everything he can to ensure the team is successful. It sure looks like he is looking out for number 1 (or 36) and not all the Ranger numbers.

It would be nice if everyone said the right thing all the time. Personally, I'll take a guy who shows his character on the ice rather than in the fish wrap.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:58 PM
  #39
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,487
vCash: 500
I think he wants more time so he can play and contribute. I cant blame the guy for wanting more time. At least he cares.....

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:05 AM
  #40
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneirin
Hardly, it's the actions he's taken in relation to these facts that bring his judgement into question. <i>Let's see, my brother has brain damage due to the fact that he had 4 or 5 (nobody's really certain) concussions and I've had 7 so far. Oh, what the hell, who needs a fully functional brain</i> Then there's <i>Well, I've got another one but papa figure Bobby might be disappointed. Oh, what the hell, it'll be fine if I just take enough extra strength something or other (product names seem to be a little fuzzy right now).</i>
This is laughable, Aneirin. You are really grasping at straws here. So now Lindros has questionable judgement becuase he wants to play hockey? Get a grip here. If fact accorging go you, NO hockey player can be believed about anything due to the fact that they put their body on the line.

"Let's ask the audience what the correct answer should be.

Audience?

Hell, no. I love it here. This is my team. We're going all the way this year. No way I want to leave this organization!"

You are off course inferring that when asked if he would want to be claimeed and Barnaby said it was an easy question, that it means that he would want to be claimed to go to another team. You never once considered that he means that it is an easy question because by being claimed it shows that he is wanted. Or maybe it is an easy question becuase he would not want to be claimed so that he can play here. You just went on and automatically ass-u-med the worse.

"It would be nice if everyone said the right thing all the time."

It would be. However, Barnaby did not really say anything that was wrong or anti-Rangers.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:14 AM
  #41
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
It would be. However, Barnaby did not really say anything that was wrong or anti-Rangers.
I agree. But my point was, I don't really care what he says (not that he has said anything wrong) as long as he shows his character and desire on the ice.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.