HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Eddie Lack

Old
07-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Let's talk about Eddie Lack

Seems to be a big/obvious thing but nobody seems to be talking about it.

Does he have the backup job? How good do we expect him to be right off the hop? How far along is he in his development? Has he regressed since the last time we hyped him up? Have injuries set him back? etc, etc.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Yes he does if he can get back to form. Look around - who else is there?

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Free Edler
Soft.

I don't see why it would be handed to him given he missed most of last season with an injury and they've signed Eriksson for depth purposes, I hope Torts/Gillis let those two battle it out in camp for the backup job.

Free Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:00 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
If he is healthy he will get the back-up job. I just assume that Eriksson was for the farm. He need some time there anyway, so Läck will at least get some time play (and perhaps fail), before Eriksson gets the nod.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:02 AM
ZKass The Bass

He'll compete with Eriksson for the backup job. No his development has worsened, it was just delayed by his hip injury in November(?) and he hasn't really played since. He's recovering now and says he'll be ready for camp, he came to Vancouver this week to work with the Canucks staff. Again, I don't think his potential has regressed at all but his injury really took him off the radar. If you ask any fan of another team about Läck they'll tell you he's going to bust..citing his stats. They're rather poor but are no where near an accurate indication of his play: the team started slow with a new coach, and when Läck struggled out the gate along with the rest of the team he was immediately replaced by Climie who was playing moderately better than Läck. A few games later Läck is done for the season and here we are.

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:02 AM
keslerburrows

I hope he has the back up job. I've been behind Eddie forever. Really hope he turns out to be the goalie of te future for us.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Chubros

Okay, who is going to be the first to break out the puns?

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
sunnyvale420
Doug The Thug Glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
They are Lack-ing arent they?

sunnyvale420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Hammer79

MG will probably bring in a veteran goaltender to camp on a tryout to give Lack some competition. Maybe Garon, Boucher or Hedberg? Eriksson will have to pay his dues in the AHL first, I don't see him as a serious contender for the back-up job. Cannata too, he'll be back with the Comets to get some pro games in.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:19 AM
StringerBell

Kevin Woodley of Goalie Guild is familiar with Eriksson's game and doesn't think he's ready for the NHL yet. He also doesn't think Lack should be handed the backup spot either, though.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:32 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Kevin Woodley of Goalie Guild is familiar with Eriksson's game and doesn't think he's ready for the NHL yet. He also doesn't think Lack should be handed the backup spot either, though.
Wasn't there talk that Gillis wants to bring in a veteran goalie as back-up for Luongo?

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:57 AM
MS

IMO Lack has been ready to be an NHL backup since the start of the 2011-12 season. Was just caught behind Schneider/Luongo in both the 2011 and 2012 camps, and then of course suffered the serious hip injury.

If not for the injury, I'd be completely confident in him as the backup. He's had two standout seasons in the AHL as one of the top goalies there and looked terrific against NHL shooters in every preseason. However, given that he's had surgery to a major joint and hasn't played in almost a year ... who knows.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:00 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
IMO Lack has been ready to be an NHL backup since the start of the 2011-12 season. Was just caught behind Schneider/Luongo in both the 2011 and 2012 camps, and then of course suffered the serious hip injury.

If not for the injury, I'd be completely confident in him as the backup. He's had two standout seasons in the AHL as one of the top goalies there and looked terrific against NHL shooters in every preseason. However, given that he's had surgery to a major joint and hasn't played in almost a year ... who knows.
I feel the same way. Lots of question marks this year. I feel like I've taken the Canucks' depth for granted over the last few years.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:25 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Wasn't there talk that Gillis wants to bring in a veteran goalie as back-up for Luongo?
Going to be a tough ask getting a quality backup to come to Vancouver knowing they are in a fight with Lack to avoid the AHL. We'll get some tweener backup who's just glad of 1-way pay.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
I really hope he is rEddie to be the backup. Doesn't seem like he Lacks much

Borvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsters View Post
I really hope he is rEddie to be the backup. Doesn't seem like he Lacks much
How do you know? Have you been Storking him?

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:43 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Before FA started, Gillis was on radio and he said that they thought Lack was ready for the backup role berfore he was injured and don't see them signing an experienced goalie.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:45 AM
JuniorNelson

Gillis might gamble on him. I think there is more coming in the goalie dept. I wouldn't be whole-heartedly confident in any of them.

Luongo is a guy who hasn't started in a year and didn't sparkle much last season coming off the bench. I am actively hoping he just needs a bunch of games to find his rhythm, but there were plenty of signs of decay that seem to indicate otherwise. There is potential for him to be crushed next season by fan reaction and Olympic Team developments. You are asking a hell of a lot of this man, if you expect a standard workhorse season out of him.

Even if Luongo has an awesome season, there is a new coach. The team might not respond to the new system in timely fashion. They might be playing clusterpuck hockey for the first quarter.

Throwing a rookie into the back-up slot under these conditions doesn't seem like a job-saving strategy by Gillis. So, by all means start Lack for thirty games.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Gillis might gamble on him. I think there is more coming in the goalie dept. I wouldn't be whole-heartedly confident in any of them.

Luongo is a guy who hasn't started in a year and didn't sparkle much last season coming off the bench. I am actively hoping he just needs a bunch of games to find his rhythm, but there were plenty of signs of decay that seem to indicate otherwise. There is potential for him to be crushed next season by fan reaction and Olympic Team developments. You are asking a hell of a lot of this man, if you expect a standard workhorse season out of him.

Even if Luongo has an awesome season, there is a new coach. The team might not respond to the new system in timely fashion. They might be playing clusterpuck hockey for the first quarter.

Throwing a rookie into the back-up slot under these conditions doesn't seem like a job-saving strategy by Gillis. So, by all means start Lack for thirty games.

That's odd. I watched nearly every game last year, and I thought Roberto looked totally fine aside for a couple of noteworthy blowouts. As good as ever, even.

I don't see Lack being ready for a backup position in the NHL, but I'd like be proven wrong.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Verviticus

if lacks not ready to be a backup, he never will be. he's 25

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Norade

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
if lacks not ready to be a backup, he never will be. he's 25
Coming off of an injury that cost him a season. Even if he isn't ready this season he could be good next season. What that does is limit his chances of ever being much of a starter unless he runs away with the job.

Norade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:50 AM
IComeInPeace

Let's hope it's the backup job the two Swedes are fighting for, not the starting gig.

After a fairly significant injury/surgery, I think it would be best if Lack got to be the starter for 15-20 games down on the farm, and get himself back to where he was before the hip problems started to set him backwards.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
With the Canucks reportedly missing out on Labarbera, I have to think it will be a competition between the younger guys for that role. If healthy, I think Lack is a capable backup, especially if he's only playing 20 games or so. Luongo might end up back around 62-65 starts this year with Tortorella. The team will need to see what they have there in case there are future challenges with the Luongo situation moving forward.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Reign Nateo

Would expect someone like Chris Mason, Garon, Leighton or Hedberg to be invited to camp, but Lack definitely has the insude track on the job and it's in his hands.

I personally would like to see Lack step up and take the job, his attitude and positivity could be very helpful on this team next year.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Ched Brosky

It's lack's to lose. His competition is joacim Eriksson. Baumer even said yesterday that Eriksson and lack would battle at camp for the backup spot

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote