HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues sign Jake Allen to 2 year contract

Old
07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 500
Blues sign Jake Allen to 2 year contract

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678923

nicholas89alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
BlueDream

Great deal here. He may spend some time in the AHL this season, but next year he should be ready to be a full time NHLer.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
Great deal again by Army! I guess that means we will be going with Halak/Elliott combo again. Not that it's a bad thing, but we have yet to see Halak healthy for playoff hockey, thanks Jackman! Honestly though, if he can stay healthy and with our new D he very well could win the Vezina or Jennings next year. Next year is a HUGE year for Halak, he's playing to prove he is still a #1 and he needs a new contract so if he can't stay motivated, then I don't know what could.

As far as Allen goes, its good money, but it kinda sucks that he will be in the AHL next year when he has shown that he's ready for the NHL. Oh well, keep your head up kid, your time is coming. Go down to Chicago and dominate and get ready to try and grab the #1 spot in 14-15. I don't know of the Blues will make him the starter, but stranger things have happened.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Excellent deal, glad to see it.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Nice to have Allen signed 2 way deal. 125,000 salary with the Wolves in the AHL and 750,000 up with the Blues no cap hit in 2013-2014, 850,000 no matter where Allen plays in 2014-2015.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Good deal for us. Surprised that it took so long considering what the numbers and structure have turned out to be.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:27 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
This is good deal for The Blues, I'm sure he'll play some at the NHL level what's the chances they both stay healthy all year long.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:33 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
This is good deal for The Blues, I'm sure he'll play some at the NHL level what's the chances they both stay healthy all year long.
Yeah pretty much 0% Halak stays healthy all season. Allen will see a few games probably.

Old
07-25-2013, 05:20 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Good deal for us. Surprised that it took so long considering what the numbers and structure have turned out to be.
Willing to bet the 2-way contract in year 1 was a pretty big deal for Allen. After last season a deserved a 1-way contract.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:36 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Willing to bet the 2-way contract in year 1 was a pretty big deal for Allen. After last season a deserved a 1-way contract.
That's my thoughts as well. I think he really did earn a 1 way deal just with our goaltending situation it had to be a 2 way deal.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Better than I could have hoped for. Perfect contract for both ends. He will show what he is worth over these two years and he will get paid for his next contract.

This leaves us enough money to sign our last 2 and we will be set for the season

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Mike Liut

Good for the most talented goalie on the roster. Your time will come

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:37 PM
BlueBeard

Solid deal for both Allen and the Blues. I'm looking forward to a big year for him in the AHL this year. He should have a better team in front of him and he can really continue to develop his game and shine down there. Plus we know he's a little less green around the gills if we need to call him up to the Blues.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 03:23 AM
erderuft

Great for Jake to get a new deal, and at great value for the Blues too. He will have his work cut out for him w/ the Wolves though. Climie has been good there. 85 gp the last to seasons, .920 sv%. Pretty good numbers.

At the same time, if Allen can't play well enough to be a no1 in the AHL, then maybe he's just not ready yet. Plus the Wolves have a new coach this season. Hopefully unbiased and willing to give the kid a good chance.

Good luck, Jake! Rooting for you.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Solid deal for both Allen and the Blues. I'm looking forward to a big year for him in the AHL this year. He should have a better team in front of him and he can really continue to develop his game and shine down there. Plus we know he's a little less green around the gills if we need to call him up to the Blues.
But The Wolves have 30-year old Climie, who is a proven AHL veteran. They'll probably want to get him in as many games possible. I really wonder if they"ll want to have Allen starting? I'm hoping for at least a 50-50 split, but, perhaps, expect Allen to get only 40%. I hope I'm wrong in my fears.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:22 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
But The Wolves have 30-year old Climie, who is a proven AHL veteran. They'll probably want to get him in as many games possible. I really wonder if they"ll want to have Allen starting? I'm hoping for at least a 50-50 split, but, perhaps, expect Allen to get only 40%. I hope I'm wrong in my fears.
I wouldn't worry about it. Allen is the more talented of the two don't let AHL stats deceive you. Look at Schwatz stat line. Now remember how he was towards the end of the season with the Blues? That's how he played in Peoria. Sometimes the stats just don't tell the whole story in the AHL. Plus if Allen can't beat out your random AHL starter for starts I think we have a big problem with Allen. If he goes in and brings his A game, he is by far the better goalie of the two and gives the Wolves a better chance to win. If the Wolves organization is stupid enough to sit him at that point over random AHL scrub well they deserve the losses.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Prov1X

Disappointed in the deal really, think he deserved better. If it was to be a two contract, I would have only signed a one year deal. That's just my opinion, obviously he is happy, and so are the Blues. So best of luck to Jake and the Blues.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
BlueDream

I think people need to realize he's only 22 years old and has played 15 NHL games.

Look I love the kid too, but anyone thinking he doesn't deserve a two-way contract right now is completely out of their minds. This kid is so young, goalies this unproven still have a lot of time before they even hit their prime...

Old
07-27-2013, 04:40 PM
oPlaiD

I honestly don't understand how much love Jake Allen gets. Sure he's young and he's pretty good, but he had a .905 save percentage in the NHL last season. The team played well when he was in net but that has much more to them scoring goals than anything to do with Jake Allen. Heck, when he first came up and we stopped losing his save percentage was sub .900.

He really didn't show he's more than a backup last season, at this point in his career. As said he's still 22 and should still get better, but people seem to have an unrealistic idea of what he really brings to the table because we happened to win some games when he was here and because he made some crazy fantastic saves... when his overall game wasn't as good as it needs to be.

The deal we signed him to is what should be expected at this point in his career, good deal. Also good he did get some NHL experience last season, since now he'll have a better idea how he needs to prepare and improve.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
I honestly don't understand how much love Jake Allen gets. Sure he's young and he's pretty good, but he had a .905 save percentage in the NHL last season. The team played well when he was in net but that has much more to them scoring goals than anything to do with Jake Allen. Heck, when he first came up and we stopped losing his save percentage was sub .900.

He really didn't show he's more than a backup last season, at this point in his career. As said he's still 22 and should still get better, but people seem to have an unrealistic idea of what he really brings to the table because we happened to win some games when he was here and because he made some crazy fantastic saves... when his overall game wasn't as good as it needs to be.

The deal we signed him to is what should be expected at this point in his career, good deal. Also good he did get some NHL experience last season, since now he'll have a better idea how he needs to prepare and improve.
I agree that some of the enthusiasm needs to be tempered. However, Allen also did show a trend of improvement in his save percentage as he gained in confidence. Its unclear how he'd fare over a longer sample.

I think he should be considered a reasonable NHL back-up option, and maybe more as he continues to develop. For his sake, its better to play more games (in the AHL) than to sit around in the NHL.

If there's a reason to be excited about him, it has more to do with his demeanor and the way he grew before out eyes during that stint last year.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post

Did you actually watch him play or are you just quoting stats? He played much better then his stats show. He was very very solid in net. Could he have been better yes. Did he play NHL starter quality I say yes he did.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 06:30 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Did you actually watch him play or are you just quoting stats? He played much better then his stats show. He was very very solid in net. Could he have been better yes. Did he play NHL starter quality I say yes he did.
I agree with this. Using his stats proves absolutely nothing.

Think of some of the big saves he made for us. Not only the stick save on T.J. Brodie, but remember when he saved Ian Cole's ass on a breakaway by Burrows I believe? He was very consistent. Barely let in weak goals (really only that one against San Jose sticks out to me).

Jake Allen had a huge impact on our team last season. This team was faltering badly and he came in and really solidifed the net and played extremely well for us. He deserves a lot of credit for those wins (not just the team in front of him). Anyone who tries diminishing that simply didn't watch the games IMO.

Simply using his save percentage is a pretty small sample size anyways. He looked a bit shaky in his first start against Detroit, and since then improved a lot.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I agree with this. Using his stats proves absolutely nothing.

Think of some of the big saves he made for us. Not only the stick save on T.J. Brodie, but remember when he saved Ian Cole's ass on a breakaway by Burrows I believe? He was very consistent. Barely let in weak goals (really only that one against San Jose sticks out to me).

Jake Allen had a huge impact on our team last season. This team was faltering badly and he came in and really solidifed the net and played extremely well for us. He deserves a lot of credit for those wins (not just the team in front of him). Anyone who tries diminishing that simply didn't watch the games IMO.

Simply using his save percentage is a pretty small sample size anyways. He looked a bit shaky in his first start against Detroit, and since then improved a lot.
This is the biggest thing for me. He has better ability to make big saves and not let in as many flukes as Elliot or Halak. This has been the case for Allen throughout his career.

The kid has been very solid at all levels and consistently carried some pretty poor teams. He also has showed up in big games in his career except one. That bodes well when factoring in the mental aspect of his game, which is probably the single largest aspect of a goaltender making or missing the NHL.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote