HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lou Lamoriello

Old
07-12-2013, 03:24 PM
JohnEDrama

vCash: 500
I'm still trying to figure out why Lou wouldnt give up the #29th pick.

I know alot of people claimed, coming off the cup finals, that they wanted players now and would rather of waited to give up the pick. But it was the 2nd to last pick, how much better could it have been?

If he knew of Kovy's feelings of leaving for the KHL, and with the 2013 draft already being hyped up, he had to of thought that it was a huge risk waiting til 2014 to give it up.

I've always respected the Devils organization as much as I hate them, but that decision is just so strange. The Devils will bounce back no doubt, it just seems like he should have predicted that this could have happened if reports are true Kovy was already talking about leaving. Seems like a gigantic risk that could be devastating if they end up in the lottery.

JohnEDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Becoming more and more senile every year.
How respectful.

Criticize the guy's moves as GM all you want. But to mock and imply mental illness?

Nothing like an uninformed ageist.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-12-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:03 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEDrama View Post

I know alot of people claimed, coming off the cup finals, that they wanted players now and would rather of waited to give up the pick. But it was the 2nd to last pick, how much better could it have been?

If he knew of Kovy's feelings of leaving for the KHL, and with the 2013 draft already being hyped up, he had to of thought that it was a huge risk waiting til 2014 to give it up.

I've always respected the Devils organization as much as I hate them, but that decision is just so strange. The Devils will bounce back no doubt, it just seems like he should have predicted that this could have happened if reports are true Kovy was already talking about leaving. Seems like a gigantic risk that could be devastating if they end up in the lottery.
This is what I didn't understand either . I thought it was no brainer to forfeit the 29th pick in an avg/mediocre draft . You're right it wasn't going to get any lower and now they're faced with giving up what looks like a top 5/10 pick .

TBH I didn't expect this type of mistake from Lou and it looks like it will cost them dearly .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Ever here of this thing called success

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

The accepted theory on why Lou didn't give up 29th was that the Devils were very high on Vasilevski (sp?), who would've been the goalie that everyone in the world has been clamoring about, how badly we needed a stud prospect in net, etc..

He went too early for the Devils plans. They had to make the decision to forfeit the pick before the draft started, so they were stuck there.

A risk that didn't pay off. But you only praise the ones that do.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:50 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEDrama View Post

I think, he operated under the assumption that while it could not get much later with the pick, it would not go that much higher either.
If you assume that all NJD picks would be 20+, there is an argument to be made for having the player further along to NHL ready. Obviously it hurt missing the playoffs this year and there is quite the potential for it to sting even worse next year now, but this is the miscalculation I believe he made.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

He is an elite GM when you look at what he did with the Devils franchise since he took the position.

Can't win 'em all.

Move on.

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:35 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
How respectful.

Criticize the guy's moves as GM all you want. But to mock and imply mental illness?

Nothing like an uninformed ageist.
First, hey Trottier - nice to see a post from you!

---

for a team with limited financial resources, an "underwhelming" destination/hockey-city (especially compared to Manhattan), no high draft choices, the continual "loss" of unaffordable assets due to free agency and the cap/budget - it's absolutely shameful to knock Lamoriello.

This is a model executive and a business leader who I'm sure would be a role model for any executive, in any industry.

He treats people with respect, doesn't sugar coat things, uses discretion and tact. I've heard him in interviews after he's fired coaches and they speak so highly of Lou and Lou of them. He didn't say a thing about Kovy in this situation - opting to respect the privacy of their discussion.

And the team is a perennial contender. A model franchise. And he's criticized?

Sometimes, this place!

-----
And. I'm sure Lou's not too fussed over the loss of Kovy. Jersey was a good team before him, they'll be a good team after him. And if Jersey falls back for a year or two, after a couple of decades of success, and after the loss of Kovy, Parise, Clarkson, Paul Martin, Brian Gionta, Jamie Langebrunner, soon Brodeur....and on and on....maybe it's not the fault of the guy who's had success for twenty years who's suddenly "lost it" - whatever that means.

As an Isles fan, I'm happy about a perceived Devils weakness today - but that weakness is not at the GM level. Never has been.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBruins View Post
He is an elite GM when you look at what he did with the Devils franchise since he took the position.

Can't win 'em all.

Move on.
Or create 3 more threads about it

Lou has done everything he can for the Devils. Every move he makes is with the intention to win, and unfortunately that doesn't always pay off 100% of the time.
That's what parity will bring to the table.

The man himself has served as an inspiration and mentor for several successful GMs across several of the professional sports league in North America. He knows how to build a winning culture, he knows how to get people to buy in... and I can't even use all the fingers on one hand to list GMs I'd rather have.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Take away one of the greatest goalies of all time who had insane longevity and I'd reckon that number would be much much smaller. Just sayin.

If Brodeur goes #11 in 1990 rather than Trevor Kidd, Lamoriello and the Devils history goes very different.
So take away one of Lou's best moves and he's not as good. Brilliant.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

The best GM in the modern NHL era. That is my opinion.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:08 PM
NJDevils7

The 29th pick

An old quote from Tom Gulitti (Devils Beat Writer):

"NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed via e-mail that the deadline was today and it passed without the Devils informing the league it intended to give up the pick. That means they either intend to use it or trade it.

I spoke with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello at approximately 6 p.m. today and he declined to discuss whether the team would give up its 2012 first-round pick. He said the deadline was not at 5 p.m. today."

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f....pcNC9nDx.dpuf

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Take away one of the greatest goalies of all time who had insane longevity and I'd reckon that number would be much much smaller. Just sayin.

If Brodeur goes #11 in 1990 rather than Trevor Kidd, Lamoriello and the Devils history goes very different.
take away X from Y situation and I can invent Z in any situation

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Becoming more and more senile every year.
do you even know what senile means? that's like me calling you retarded, and i might be more accurate in this case

Old
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
The best GM in the modern NHL era. That is my opinion.
Ya...Ken Holland....

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Ya...Ken Holland....
But but if he didn't pick Datsyuk that would have never happened

Oh wait but he did, so it DID happen! I agree though.

Old
07-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Ya...Ken Holland....
best, not most overrated

Unless inheriting the 1989 draft and having Hakan Andersson call late rounders for you is a mark of great GMsmanship.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
WarriorofTime

He was the best GM 20 years ago but he's clearly regressed and is no longer very good. Not surrendering the 29th was a terrible move. One that was made in total machismo, arrogance. I picture him announcing to his team "we're keeping the pick.. and we're winning the Cup next year" and a bunch of yes man thunderously applauding. Instead of trying to be a badass he should have been pragmatic and said in the interests of the the short-term and long-term we would like to move on from this punishment and maintain our picks the next two years.. which we may decide to use as assets to acquire players that will help us win the Cup if need be. Only way that move would turn out to be wrong would be if the Devils win the Cup.. in which case who cares because you got the Cup.. and you surrendered the 29th instead of the 30th... That's essentially meaningless in terms of value.

I understand he's a legend for what he did for the Devils franchise, taking what was a Mickey Mouse organization and transforming it into the league's best. At some point though, you gotta look beyond past accomplishments and think about the present day. Lou is 70 years old. His policy of not negotiating with pending free agents during the year is stupid and puts the Devils at a serious competitive disadvantage. Seems content to live off of past glories and do things "his way" because of them. It's time to move on.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
best, not most overrated

Unless inheriting the 1989 draft and having Hakan Andersson call late rounders for you is a mark of great GMsmanship.
Or the fact he has one the most successful professional franchise in North America. NBD though right? And I'm not even a Wings fan lol

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
thenextone

I secretly wonder if Lou thought that with the lockout and new CBA, he would be able to petition the NHL to get that pick back.

Obviously it didn't work, but who knows.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:30 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Or the fact he has one the most successful professional franchise in North America. NBD though right? And I'm not even a Wings fan lol
Had. The Wings are not currently the most successful franchise. That would be the only team with two cups in the salary cap era.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

He's past his prime.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:15 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I must admit he can dance around this Kovi screwup all he wants. But he was caught with his pants down making it easier for Kovalchuk to have his way with him. This has set this team back big time. Plus he really screwed up by not giving up his #1 pick in 2012. Yep the old man is slipping.
I agree about the 2012 pick but this contract is on ownership. And the fact is, this team has won cups and gone deep in the playoffs in spite of the fact that they've lost a lot of star players.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
An old quote from Tom Gulitti (Devils Beat Writer):

"NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed via e-mail that the deadline was today and it passed without the Devils informing the league it intended to give up the pick. That means they either intend to use it or trade it.

I spoke with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello at approximately 6 p.m. today and he declined to discuss whether the team would give up its 2012 first-round pick. He said the deadline was not at 5 p.m. today."

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f....pcNC9nDx.dpuf
So that's the excuse? Shouldn't he have known when the deadline was? Clearly that was his mistake.

And I don't get why people are talking about his whole career here. I think it's pretty safe to say that he hasn't been so great the past few years.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome2Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
So that's the excuse? Shouldn't he have known when the deadline was? Clearly that was his mistake.

And I don't get why people are talking about his whole career here. I think it's pretty safe to say that he hasn't been so great the past few years.
Yea they only went to the Stanley Cup Finals two years ago... Do you people even think before you talk? It is amazing the dumb stuff that I read on here

Welcome2Hell is offline   Reply With Quote