HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lou Lamoriello

Old
07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
you're foolish if you think a single draft pick thats not in the top 5 is overpayment for a future star goaltender.
I guess time will tell.... I wouldn't have made that trade, and I wouldn't have had to.... because I would have made damn sure to at least have a few possible replacements for Marty in the pipeline. Lou is banking on Schneider now big time, with still no contingency plan.

And it was a top 10 pick in a deep draft for a team with a pretty weak farm system, and as of now no first rounder next year either.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Nick0930

99.5% of people would agree with you that it was a bad trade for the Devils, but then we'd all be wrong.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:07 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
best, not most overrated

Unless inheriting the 1989 draft and having Hakan Andersson call late rounders for you is a mark of great GMsmanship.
Ken Holland was the Wings' head of scouting in 1989. He was the guy who made the major decisions on who was the best picks to, well, pick.

Holland and Devellano have been, since the mid-80s, the driving forces in building the Wings into a team that wins, and wins, and wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
I would say mainly that one player... Either way, yes, the Devils had a nice roster in the 90s, however, they haven't had an overly good roster in about a decade. If that's the case then I may as well still say that Glen Sather is the greatest GM of all time because of what he did in the 80s.
You mean when he had Wayne Gretzky on his team because the league allowed Peter Pocklington to cheat the system? Sather could have traded the entire team away for bottom-sixers, third-pair defensemen, and backup goalies and and they still would have done well. Probably not won Cups, but they'd have been a decent team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Not a good salary cap GM. Has lost nearly every star the Devils have ever had.
Yep, Brodeur and Elias are gone, Shanahan, Stevens, Niedermayer, Parise, and Kovalchuk for cap reasons...

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Sarava

Not forfeiting the pick when it was #29 is one of the dumbest things I've seen a GM do. And that's not Monday morning quarterbacking...it was clearly dumb at that time.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I guess time will tell.... I wouldn't have made that trade, and I wouldn't have had to.... because I would have made damn sure to at least have a few possible replacements for Marty in the pipeline. Lou is banking on Schneider now big time, with still no contingency plan.

And it was a top 10 pick in a deep draft for a team with a pretty weak farm system, and as of now no first rounder next year either.
You act as if drafting a star goalie is easy. See Lundqvist who went 205th overall while the Rangers used a top ten pick in 2004 on a goalie, Miller went 138th overall, and Pekka Rinne went 258th. And inbetween those there were teams that needed goalies that drafted them high, drafted them low. Some had success and many others busted or were low risks that didn't pan out. Not like the Devils didn't try to draft a goalie but you make it sound so easy that a high goalie pick will just be a sure thing

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:56 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
Probably didn't give up the pick because he wanted to let everybody know it would be pick #30 the next year
He's being stubborn about it. He obviously doesn't agree with the decision so he's going to force the league to pry it from his cold fingers.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
Is it just me or is the amount of respect/trust/etc he receives getting out of hand?

At this point, it seems Lou is the smartest GM ever, and that's it.

Yeah, he's a good GM but I'm so sick of hearing him basically touted as the number one hockey mind.

Can we all admit he's not as awesome as a lot of Devils fans claim he is?
Kovy, is that you?

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:35 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

There is no doubt that Lou Lamoriello has made some great Hockey trades and decisions in the past. However more recently with him keeping the 29th pick in 2012 and still going ahead with the original contract that Kovalchuk signed, even though the NHL told him not do that which got the Devils in trouble. Those are starting to look like very bad decisions.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:46 PM
ocarina

Quote:

I'd much rather bank on a guy who has proven he can play at a high level in the NHL rather than an 18 year old kid who needs to develop. You are making it sound like Schneider is a short-term fix, but that's hardly the case.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
You act as if drafting a star goalie is easy. See Lundqvist who went 205th overall while the Rangers used a top ten pick in 2004 on a goalie, Miller went 138th overall, and Pekka Rinne went 258th. And inbetween those there were teams that needed goalies that drafted them high, drafted them low. Some had success and many others busted or were low risks that didn't pan out. Not like the Devils didn't try to draft a goalie but you make it sound so easy that a high goalie pick will just be a sure thing
He didn't even try though. He drafted two goalies in the last 8 years, one in the 3rd round and one in the 6th. (Not counting this year in the 7th, of course).

Old
07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I'd much rather bank on a guy who has proven he can play at a high level in the NHL rather than an 18 year old kid who needs to develop. You are making it sound like Schneider is a short-term fix, but that's hardly the case.
Which is why he should have been trying to draft a replacement 3-6 years ago.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Wiqkid*

By far the most overrated gm in the NHL. I truly do not understand it.

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
tmg

Quote:
Which is why he should have been trying to draft a replacement 3-6 years ago.
He drafted Frazee 8 years ago with a high pick (early 2nd - Price and Rask were already gone by the Devils' first-round pick), and so for most of that 3-6 years ago period they thought he was the heir apparent. He has since shown otherwise, and the Devils have been grooming the trio of Wedgewood Clermont and Kinkaid since. One started for WJC team Canada, one carried his underdog QMJHL team to the league final, and one was a collegiate all-star. They all have the pedigree to make the same step to the NHL that Frazee missed.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiqkid View Post
By far the most overrated gm in the NHL. I truly do not understand it.
I love when people say this and don't explain why he's the most overrated.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Jacques Strap

The one player that has made Lou's career what it was is not Marty Brodeur, but Scott Stevens. If the league arbitrator had awarded the Devils goalie Curtis Joseph, forward Rod Brind'Amour, and two draft picks instead of Stevens the Devils fate and Lou's would have been completely different. The league favoritism for Lou started early and continues until this day with Kovalchuck ruling. At first Stevens did not want to even be a part of the Devils organization. Later became captain and their best player. The Devils defensive system made Marty the goalie that he was, with Stevens leading it.
I think he was a good GM, not great, when he could keep his players until the age of 31 for UFA. Once the age was lowered for UFA and they began fleeing, the Devils winning ways began to deteriorate. Again, good, not great.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:19 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Lou gets a ton of respect bcause the Devils/Rockies/Scouts were the laughing stock of the league before he arrived and have been consistantly successful since he took ove in 87.

jkrdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Richie10

Just like any other general manager, he gets a little too much credit when the team on the ice succeeds, and a little too much criticism when they fail.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Just like any other general manager, he gets a little too much credit when the team on the ice succeeds, and a little too much criticism when they fail.
Disagree, he's been pretty immune to criticism until now. The cracks in his veneer are starting to show. He's not the GM he used to be and actually people are starting to see now that he hasn't been that GM he used to be in quite some time.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote