HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Prospectus Top 10 Prospects 2013: Winnipeg Jets

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
  #1
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,205
vCash: 500
Hockey Prospectus Top 10 Prospects 2013: Winnipeg Jets

Pronman put out a summary of his notes and those he has accumulated from NHL scouts in regards to what he believes are the Jets top 10 prospects.

Here's the intro:

Quote:
Winnipeg Jets Top 10 Prospects

1. Jacob Trouba, Defense
2. Mark Scheifele, Center
3. Josh Morrissey, Defense
4. Nicolas Petan, Center
5. Adam Lowry, Left Wing
6. Jimmy Lodge, Right Wing
7. Zach Redmond, Defense
8. Jan Kostalek, Defense
9. Connor Helleybuyck, Goaltender
10. Scott Kosmachuk, Right Wing

Organizational Ranking: 12th

System Overview

The Jets' system is as good and deep as it has been in several years, dating back to the days when they were in Atlanta. Trouba and Scheifele are high-end prospects, with the former having the potential to be a true cornerstone. This year's draft brought a lot of quality talent to this pipeline, not to mention a lot of savvy mid-to-late round picks the Jets have made over the past few seasons.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1568

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
  #2
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,386
vCash: 777
I think Helleybuck is a big time sleeper. Heard a lot of good things about him from people that watch college hockey.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #3
scelaton
Registered User
 
scelaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Bringing the organizational ranking from bottom third (I believe HP/Pronman had them rated rated 23rd last year) to top half in the league in the space of 1 year is an incredible achievement.
Kudos to Chevy and Co.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  #4
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,205
vCash: 500
Trouba: Really love the Trouba write up. I agree 100% and it's very exciting to see it isn't just us being homers here as Jets fans.

Scheifele: With Scheifele it's nice to see that Pronman has really come around in regards to the pick as he was skeptical Scheifele had 1st line upside 3 years ago.

Morrissey: I agree with his analysis but not his upside. I was high on this kid pre-draft and think that he'll be like Scheifele, constantly improving at an increasing rate but not a superstar like Trouba.

Petan: Nice to hear he projects as a player who pushes the play forward and promotes strong possession and scoring chances even in the NHL level as the Jets need this in the system badly.

Lowry: Corey giving him possible 2nd line status is pretty nice as I always thought it was only us as Jets fans who were thinking that.

Lodge: His development will be really interesting to watch. I can really see him turning into Scheifele-lite.

Redmond: Pretty much same scouting info as last offseason, since he barely played.

Kostalek: I've always thought of Kostalek like Yuen, but maybe better. Interesting to see that Pronman's notes on Kostalek this season are very similar to Yuen's last season.

Helleybuyck: Can't say I disagree; saying the goalie is very promising but we need to see if this continues or not. Pronman is probably more skeptical on goalies than I, so he tends to rate them very low. This is good to see how high he thinks of him.

Kosmachuk: I've always enjoyed this kids feistiness and called during last draft we'd all have Kosmo higher than Sutter the next offseason (although I also didn't think Sutter would bomb as hard as he did).


I thought Olsen and Melchiori should have been above Cormier as I don't think Cormier will be better than he has been the last 2 seasons. Although, I think that without injuries we'd be thinking a bit higher on him.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:26 PM
  #5
ps241
Thank you lotto gods
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17,194
vCash: 50
Very decent write up by Pronman .

This year’s development camp felt like it was a few levels up from the past as far as quality went and that was echoed by the guy running the camp on 1290 TSN radio. Then you read a write up like this and after you factor in the natural optimism we have towards prospects it is still easy to see that our cupboards are much fuller than they use to be 24 months ago. What I like most is that we have more top 6 fwd, top 4 D, and starting goalie type "potential” in the system now. Sure they won't all hit but at least we have a solid group that have that type of ceiling now.


Last edited by ps241: 08-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  #6
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Scheifele: With Scheifele it's nice to see that Pronman has really come around in regards to the pick as he was skeptical Scheifele had 1st line upside 3 years ago.
Scheifele's projection going from:
Quote:
An average second line center who safely projects as a below-average second to above-average third line center.
To:
Quote:
He could be a top line center.
In 2 years is pretty awesome.. And the whole Trouba write-up is just drool worthy haha.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:53 PM
  #7
ps241
Thank you lotto gods
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17,194
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Trouba: Really love the Trouba write up. I agree 100% and it's very exciting to see it isn't just us being homers here as Jets fans.

Scheifele: With Scheifele it's nice to see that Pronman has really come around in regards to the pick as he was skeptical Scheifele had 1st line upside 3 years ago.

Morrissey: I agree with his analysis but not his upside. I was high on this kid pre-draft and think that he'll be like Scheifele, constantly improving at an increasing rate but not a superstar like Trouba.

Petan: Nice to hear he projects as a player who pushes the play forward and promotes strong possession and scoring chances even in the NHL level as the Jets need this in the system badly.

Lowry: Corey giving him possible 2nd line status is pretty nice as I always thought it was only us as Jets fans who were thinking that.

Lodge: His development will be really interesting to watch. I can really see him turning into Scheifele-lite.

Redmond: Pretty much same scouting info as last offseason, since he barely played.

Kostalek: I've always thought of Kostalek like Yuen, but maybe better. Interesting to see that Pronman's notes on Kostalek this season are very similar to Yuen's last season.

Helleybuyck: Can't say I disagree; saying the goalie is very promising but we need to see if this continues or not. Pronman is probably more skeptical on goalies than I, so he tends to rate them very low. This is good to see how high he thinks of him.

Kosmachuk: I've always enjoyed this kids feistiness and called during last draft we'd all have Kosmo higher than Sutter the next offseason (although I also didn't think Sutter would bomb as hard as he did).


I thought Olsen and Melchiori should have been above Cormier as I don't think Cormier will be better than he has been the last 2 seasons. Although, I think that without injuries we'd be thinking a bit higher on him.
A few points

Trouba is the one prospect we own that actually may be more hyped and loved by people outside our board than inside, and he is very hyped and loved inside out board. Evander Kane is the only other player in the Jets system that has the monster "star quality" outside our board. With Jacob its easy to see why and nobody sums it up better than Pronman when he said in describing Trouba:

"The Good: You could write just one word in this section, "everything," and it would be pretty close to accurate"

Morrissey is interesting. I heard Craig McTavish talking on XM NHL network yesterday and he said what has changed most about the NHL is that when you use to attack often you were looking at 3 men at the blue line and now you are usually looking at 4 with the fastest player on the ice being the 5th man creating back pressure or there are 5 men back. He said now more than ever skill is at a premium and everyone on the ice needs to be able to handle the puck to attack defenses. It made me realize how important it is to have an asset like Morrissey who is so smooth and such a offensive weapon. I think more and more that type of defender will be necessary to disrupt. I agree though I do see Josh on the Duncan Keith, Kris Letang 3 to 4 season development curve.

Wild Cards for me are this: if we take Petan, Lodge, and Helleybuyck and any "one" of them can play a significant role in our future that will be a really good thing. If two or more of them can play a significant role in the Jets future we may have a shot at the cup in 5 years.


Last edited by ps241: 08-14-2013 at 08:04 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:16 PM
  #8
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Wild Cards for me are this: if we take Petan, Lodge, and Helleybuyck and any "one" of them can play a significant role in our future that will be a really good thing. If two or more of them can play a significant role in the Jets future we may have a shot at the cup in 5 years.
I agree, ps.

May be very premature to say, but I truly see our best prospects stepping in and contributing in a big way. I might be drinking the kool-aid too much, but I certainly see some coming close to reaching their ceilings as well, and eventually replacing the minutes of existing players. And in many cases, being an upgrade.

Trouba (Buff), Scheifele (Joker), Morrissey (Toby) and Lowry (Antro/Burmi) appear to be on the way to be key members of the Jets in the near future, within a probable succession plan. I like Comrie too, and feel he'll surprise. It would be outstanding if he continues to develop and eventually replaces Pavs.

And if one - or two - of Petan, Helleybuyck, Lipon or Kosmo fill roles, and reach their ceiling, the Jets will be in very good shape.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:48 PM
  #9
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 10,883
vCash: 1131
I love reading about our prospects. At this point in time we have a lot of potential ready to join our current core. The elements are there for this to mix together over the next few years into something we can all get really excited about.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
  #10
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
.
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,476
vCash: 69
I really think that Scheifele will kick the door down this year - if he meshes with Kane and Seto, look out. I'm going out on a limb, and stating that I feel he'll be competing for the Calder this year.

A 1a and 1b would be a very nice thing.

Also - looking forward to having a few more interesting prospects to follow this year, both in the AHL and the CHL. It was getting a bit monotonous with just Scheifele to get excited about a couple of years ago. With Kos, Petan, Morrissey and Olsen in the C, Lowry, Kichon and Lipon in the A, and Copp and our goalie prospects in the NCAA, it'll provide for a lot of variety.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:39 PM
  #11
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Good stuff! One question for you all, how is Kosmo's skating? I wasn't paying attention to his skating at the dev camp as I just kept focusing on his laser beam of a shot. If his skating is decent than he can be a fan favorite around here for years to come.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:58 PM
  #12
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 6085
I think Lipon deserved some kind of shoutout or as an honourable mention.

Overall I've always liked Pronman's stuff. He just likes Detroit a liiiiittle too much.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:11 AM
  #13
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
I think Pronman scouted our site first when doing his list
Our lists are similar, except he is very high on Kostalek, I think he's too high on him, I prefer Melchiori.

Our list:
1. Jacob Trouba
2. Mark Scheifele
3. Josh Morrissey
4. Adam Lowry
5. Zach Redmond
6. Nic Petan
7. Paul Postma
8. Eric O'Dell
9. Connor Hellebuyck
10. Ivan Telegin
11. Eric Comrie
12. Jimmy Lodge
13. Scott Kosmachuk
14. Arturs Kulda
15. J.C. Lipon

His list:
1. Jacob Trouba, Defense
2. Mark Scheifele, Center
3. Josh Morrissey, Defense
4. Nicolas Petan, Center
5. Adam Lowry, Left Wing
6. Jimmy Lodge, Right Wing
7. Zach Redmond, Defense
8. Jan Kostalek, Defense
9. Connor Helleybuyck, Goaltender
10. Scott Kosmachuk, Right Wing

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
  #14
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,205
vCash: 500
Interesting because I think last year our lists were very different...

PS his next 5:

11. Ivan Telegin
12. Brenden Kichton
13. Patrice Cormier
14. Julian Melchiori
15. Ryan Olsen
The Sleeper: Marcus Karlstrom

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  #15
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,796
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Interesting because I think last year our lists were very different...

PS his next 5:

11. Ivan Telegin
12. Brenden Kichton
13. Patrice Cormier
14. Julian Melchiori
15. Ryan Olsen
The Sleeper: Marcus Karlstrom
Don't really understand Cormier at #13 and the absence of O'Dell. EDIT: Thanks truck, that makes sense.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  #16
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,151
vCash: 500
Re: O'Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
Didn't know him well enough to comment. RT @TBonnar: @coreypronman Thoughts on O'Dell? I noticed he didn't make your Jets list?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.