HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Valuable Oiler #5

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler?
Schultz (Justin) 116 75.82%
Klefbom 9 5.88%
Gagner 9 5.88%
Dubnyk 3 1.96%
Smid 11 7.19%
Nurse 2 1.31%
Perron 2 1.31%
Other 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Most Valuable Oiler #5

Who do you think is the fifth most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

1. Taylor Hall (75%)
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (70%)
3. Nail Yakupov (65%)
4. Jordan Eberle (65%)

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
edit: JS, obviously

No option for NS? Come on!

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Jazzy B
Rookie User

vCash: 500
I want to say Laddy Smid, but nah. J Schultz

Jazzy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I've voted Schultz the last three polls. Eventually he'll get his due.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Wow, I voted Klefbom and thought there would be more people voting for him as well. Schultz is great but I think he's a lot more limited in terms of his potential compared to Klefbom and he's 3 years older than Klefbom. Offense is great but I believe Klefbom will develop into an all-around defenseman who is more valuable than Schultz.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:25 PM
TheFadedLine

Justin Schultz is absolutely brilliant. After this years NHL experience and a full proper NHL off season he is going to dummy people all year long.

TheFadedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Wow, I voted Klefbom and thought there would be more people voting for him as well. Schultz is great but I think he's a lot more limited in terms of his potential compared to Klefbom and he's 3 years older than Klefbom. Offense is great but I believe Klefbom will develop into an all-around defenseman who is more valuable than Schultz.
I'll wait till he plays an NHL game before I denote him an MVP-type player

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:31 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
While I think Klefbom has top pairing potential, I also think J schultz does as well however he has much better offence and is way more nhl ready. He looked great at times last year and I think this season could be a break out season for Schultz. I think his defensive game will improve especially playing with ference or smid and his offence could take off (think potentially 15 goal 50-60 pt season)

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
It was between Schultz and Klefbom for me. Klefbom has the potential to be the best Dman we have, and a rock on the first pairing, the thing is, he hasn't had the opportunity to play and be evaluated. Schultz has, and the glimpses we saw have been fan-bloody-tastic. For that reason I had to go with Schultz.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I'm late arriving to the party but how is it that a player that hasn't ever played a single game for the Oilers be considered a "most valuable oiler" even if using the term "going forward". Its a stretch. Which lends itself to the fantasy of what a player could be...vs whatever already is.

Something in that needs constant explaining or something.

My own take is that bird in hand ought to have more merit then flights of fancy. jmo

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:26 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Klefa for me. Schultz is obviously the much safer option, but I don't think he ends up as good

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
People are actually voting for Gagner?

Lol wut?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Baggers

Now it's getting tough.

In terms of who is the best player now, I would go with Perron.

In terms of who I think would return the most in a trade, I would go with Schultz.

Who would hurt the team the most if he went down with injury? Dubnyk.

Highest upside? (Probably) Nurse. Or Klefbom.

In the end, I went with Schultz because he's probably the best combination of all of the above categories - high upside, good positional value (puck-moving defenceman), already a good offensive defenceman, and he's got a pretty unique skill set for the team.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:40 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Next vote will be the interesting one, as JSchultz has clearly got this by a country mile.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:54 AM
#ualberta

To me every poll as been super obvious so far but it should get interesting after this one

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
To me every poll as been super obvious so far but it should get interesting after this one
Well, we know what the return was for Perron.

The question is: Would any of the other players on the list return a 22-year old former top ten pick with 150+ GP/50+ points, as well as a 2nd round pick?

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Justin Schultz.

Next poll, please.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
People are actually voting for Gagner?

Lol wut?
People are actualy voting for Klefbom? Lol wut? The poll is most valuable Oiler - Klefbom is not even technically an Oiler is he?

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
People are actualy voting for Klefbom? Lol wut? The poll is most valuable Oiler - Klefbom is not even technically an Oiler is he?
I think he's been an Oiler for about a year now, didn't he sign up last July?

Anyway, imo it all depends on how you consider this question. If you ask me which one is of most value to this team I will give you one answer, but if you ask which one will give me the biggest return in a trade the answer may be different.

For example, I bet that MacKinnon is one of the most valuable players in Colorado in terms of return but I would call him the most valuable for the team as of yet seeing as he hasn't done anything yet.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

Anyway, imo it all depends on how you consider this question. If you ask me which one is of most value to this team I will give you one answer, but if you ask which one will give me the biggest return in a trade the answer may be different.

For example, I bet that MacKinnon is one of the most valuable players in Colorado in terms of return but I would call him the most valuable for the team as of yet seeing as he hasn't done anything yet.
He has never been on the Oilers' active roster, so he has never technically been an Oiler has he? Oilers property, yes. Oiler? Not sure - don't think so. Semantics, but whatever - the guy has never played a game for the Oilers or any other NHL team and it's OK for him to get votes, but people find it funny that a 23 year old 6 year NHL veteran who is 2nd in scoring from his draft class is getting votes.

My vote in this one was Schultz. Next one will be Gagner.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

I'll just respond to your post because I already raised what Hoogaar raised.

People have an odd view in terms of what represents potential. Of what represents possible return.
The natural way to look at this is in terms of stock value. Which company holds higher value? The close to blue chip stock from a firm with proven track record, with attractive quarterly statements, returns, that are actually established and selling a reputable product and that is traded in all the big stock floors. Or the upstart prospective stock based on a potential play, a potential return, and not yet traded, not earning, and not going to be even traded on the markets for a considerable time.

Which stock do you buy now? Which stock do you hold. Which stock do you think has the greater probability of return now, and in the future.

People really underestimate how much better the established play is. Some more Warren Buffet reading would be in order. He values good established stocks, always has, and has always been a great investor.

Man this board is in love with prospects. Theres a whole lot of bre-X trading going on.

What this plays on is that the fantasy thought of what a player could be, i.e. a prospect, is sexier than what is actually in hand. Even if the player in hand holds considerable value. Even if the player in hand went 28 games scoring 28pts. Or had an 8pt NHL game. Its odd that that player holds no value, holds no prospect of increased value, by many posters in this thread, even though his value is established and clearly rising.

The whole poll suggests hive thought and everybody rushing to buy the same stock.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Wow, I expected this poll to be a lot closer with at least a few of the options left. Schultz will be great, but he is only the most valuable Oiler on that list in fans' minds.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:23 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
He has never been on the Oilers' active roster, so he has never technically been an Oiler has he? Oilers property, yes. Oiler? Not sure - don't think so. Semantics, but whatever - the guy has never played a game for the Oilers or any other NHL team and it's OK for him to get votes, but people find it funny that a 23 year old 6 year NHL veteran who is 2nd in scoring from his draft class is getting votes.

My vote in this one was Schultz. Next one will be Gagner.
IMO players who aren't in the league yet can easily have more value than guys who are.

I'd move Smid/Gagner just for the rights to draft McDavid in 2 years. I'd also move either of them for any of the top 4 this past draft.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:24 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Wow, I expected this poll to be a lot closer with at least a few of the options left. Schultz will be great, but he is only the most valuable Oiler on that list in fans' minds.
Who left on that list is more valuable than J. Schultz? I would argue that he's more valuable than Eberle and even Yakupov.
I have little doubts that this kid is going to be a consistent 50-60 pt scorer and I think he has more potential defensively than some here give him credit for.
Defensemen like this are a rare breed and we were incredibly lucky to land him for free.

Last edited by CupofOil: 07-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.
CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
IMO players who aren't in the league yet can easily have more value than guys who are.

I'd move Smid/Gagner just for the rights to draft McDavid in 2 years. I'd also move either of them for any of the top 4 this past draft.

Generally your opinion would be wrong.

Lets phrase it in simplest terms. Gagner and Smid are actual NHL players of actual NHL value and worth. Lets say you're an agent. You have a choice between making 10% cut off of these players contracts or deferring several years to make a future cut off some kid thats years away. What agent would defer 10% of say 8M annual income starting immediately for the prospect of an income that won't be able to achieve that annual rate of return even optimally for about 10yrs? Given best case scenario. Worst case being never making a dime off that player. Then consider all the years you waited for that prospect to give you any foreseeable return and how much behind you are on accrued value.

Present established value trumps prospective value except in very special instances. Connor Mcdavid may prove to be that exception. But Klefbom and J Schultz are not likely in that prospective league.