HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else should the Jets sign?

View Poll Results: Who else should the Jets try to sign?
Grabovski 41 45.05%
Brunner 16 17.58%
Antropov 19 20.88%
Boyes 6 6.59%
2 of the above (who?) 6 6.59%
a top 4 LHD (who?) 3 3.30%
someone else (who?) 9 9.89%
no more UFAs. Cap space needed for RFA's and maybe at trade deadline 20 21.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2013, 11:31 AM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Selanne + Top 4 D.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
Prospal would be a good locker room guy, but he plays left wing and I don't think he's going to sign with us knowing he's going to be on the 3rd line.
I think he also plays RW. Not much chance him playing top 6 lw because those guys don't seem to miss games. But if there are injuries he's a great guy to move up.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Prospal would be a good add.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
I think Ian White (Steinbach) and Arron Asham (Portage) are still out there. They can't be any worse than some of the other names being tossed around. White's on the edge of a number 4-5 defenceman while Asham has good hands, is pretty tough and can play a utility role on the number 3 and/or number 4 line. They'll also come pretty cheaply; not sure why they haven't been picked up yet.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
The Jets have lost 4 players that played centre last year in Antropov, Wellwood, Burmistrov and Gagnon. They have added 1 assuming Scheifele sticks...

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:40 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
I think Ian White (Steinbach) and Arron Asham (Portage) are still out there. They can't be any worse than some of the other names being tossed around. White's on the edge of a number 4-5 defenceman while Asham has good hands, is pretty tough and can play a utility role on the number 3 and/or number 4 line. They'll also come pretty cheaply; not sure why they haven't been picked up yet.
We're past the "They're from
Here so we should sign them" stage.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
We're past the "They're from
Here so we should sign them" stage.
Sorry you appear to be offended but as I said, White and Asham can't be any worse than some of the other names being tossed around here such as Randy Jones and others, no matter where they come from.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
More people than I thought want Antro back, thought I was in the huge minority. Short of a Grabovski signing I think he's the best fit as he's way more versatile than most UFAs out there. Can play all three outward positions or PP or PK in a pinch. And for half the price of the other guys, who are admittedly better scorers.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
More people than I thought want Antro back, thought I was in the huge minority. Short of a Grabovski signing I think he's the best fit as he's way more versatile than most UFAs out there. Can play all three outward positions or PP or PK in a pinch. And for half the price of the other guys, who are admittedly better scorers.
I'd avoid Grabovski like the plague; too risky a return for the price and another Russian for Noel to screw around with.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Went with other signing, and that would be to brig Hainsey back. As much as we like to joke about him here, he brings a ton to the ice in terms of defensive play and leadership. I also agree that Antro at 2m/per is a good deal. I love his board work and grit play. Do not want Grabo for any means. I've always observed him to be a hot head which is ultimately a distraction. Can't argue with his talent but IMO there is a big difference between passion vs. hot-headed. From what I can see, Chevy is lining up a core of players that have distinctive qualities such as: character, high end compete level, and role players.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Scheifele55

Here is who I would sign:

G Chet Pickard - 23 year old Winnipegger, 1st round choice in 2008. A change of scenery and goaltender coach may spark this fellow into further development.

LW Colton Gillies - 24 year old, 1st round choice in 2007. I would sign him to an AHL contract and see how he performs. He is 6'4" and would be an upgrade to some of the players who were in ST J last year.

D Cam Barker - 27 year old, 3rd pick overall, Manitoban. Sign him to a two way contract and have the coaching staff work with him to attempt to impvoe him. I am sure this has been done numerous times, but sometimes a coach can find something missing in a players game that will turn a fringe player into a very good player.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The Jets have lost 4 players that played centre last year in Antropov, Wellwood, Burmistrov and Gagnon. They have added 1 assuming Scheifele sticks...
I think Chevy should go out and sign a couple

That way when they don't perform everyone with have more Chevy fodder

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
I was under the impression Frolik could play centre in a pinch. Is this not the case?

Definitely agree though. Picking up a middle 6 winger with centre capabilities is necessary at this point. Way too risky to depend entirely on a rookie like O'Dell or Scheifele to fill the spot, especially when injuries occur. And on the plus side, if O'Dell/Scheifele out play them for a spot they can be moved to the wing and push the depth further down.

Edit: Highly doubt we make any moves though until our big 3 RFAs are inked. Crossing my fingers we get some news this weekend .

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Bob E

I'm not in the 'sign Grabo' camp.

I think he'd be another Olli-like signing that has us wishing we hadn't signed him, 6 months into the contract. He'll likely get around $3.5-$4 mill/yr (perhaps more) on a multi-yr deal, so that's a little steep for me - more so term, than dollars. If they sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe, but I'm not convinced his style meshes with the Jets, anyway.

That said, I completely agree that the need now is at C. I also feel Scheifele would benefit from a year in St. John's - unless he completely kicks the door down in the pre-season. I like Little in the top 6, and Olli and Slater in the bottom 6.

I would think the Avs or Flyers will be moving one of their C's, and would offer either Buff or Enstrom in a trade (ideally for RoR or B Schenn), which would have to include picks or prospects coming back (for me). I'm prepared to wait until Jan/Feb or trade deadline, to trade for RoR. And, by that time, Trouba/Postma/Redmond may have proved they can handle top 4 mins to replace Buff.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
I was under the impression Frolik could play centre in a pinch. Is this not the case?

Definitely agree though. Picking up a middle 6 winger with centre capabilities is necessary at this point. Way too risky to depend entirely on a rookie like O'Dell or Scheifele to fill the spot, especially when injuries occur. And on the plus side, if O'Dell/Scheifele out play them for a spot they can be moved to the wing and push the depth further down.

Edit: Highly doubt we make any moves though until our big 3 RFAs are inked. Crossing my fingers we get some news this weekend .
I suppose Frolik can, but probably isn't ideal there... Kinda like Mueller.

For what it's worth:
Frolik has won 38.5% of his career faceoffs.
Antropov has won 42.8% of his career faceoffs.
Mueller has won 43.1% of his career faceoffs.
Jokinen has won 46% of his career faceoffs.
Little has won 47.9% of his career faceoffs. <Cracked 50% this year and will likely stay there
Gomez has won 50% of his career faceoffs.
Wellwood has won 55.2% of his career faceoffs.
Slater has won 55.3% of his career faceoffs.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I'm not in the 'sign Grabo' camp.

I think he'd be another Olli-like signing that has us wishing we hadn't signed him, 6 months into the contract. He'll likely get around $3.5-$4 mill/yr (perhaps more) on a multi-yr deal, so that's a little steep for me - more so term, than dollars. If they sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe, but I'm not convinced his style meshes with the Jets, anyway.

That said, I completely agree that the need now is at C. I also feel Scheifele would benefit from a year in St. John's - unless he completely kicks the door down in the pre-season. I like Little in the top 6, and Olli and Slater in the bottom 6.

I would think the Avs or Flyers will be moving one of their C's, and would offer either Buff or Enstrom in a trade (ideally for RoR or B Schenn), which would have to include picks or prospects coming back (for me). I'm prepared to wait until Jan/Feb or trade deadline, to trade for RoR. And, by that time, Trouba/Postma/Redmond may have proved they can handle top 4 mins to replace Buff.
Can the Avs trade ROR at the deadline? I thought that they couldn't.

Plus, he's got a nasty qualifying offer coming his way doesn't he?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Dabucs02

Quote:
I suppose Frolik can, but probably isn't ideal there... Kinda like Mueller.

For what it's worth:
Frolik has won 38.5% of his career faceoffs.
Antropov has won 42.8% of his career faceoffs.
Mueller has won 43.1% of his career faceoffs.
Jokinen has won 46% of his career faceoffs.
Little has won 47.9% of his career faceoffs. <Cracked 50% this year and will likely stay there
Gomez has won 50% of his career faceoffs.
Wellwood has won 55.2% of his career faceoffs.
Slater has won 55.3% of his career faceoffs.
I like Meuller as well. Very talented and has the most upside.

Also could get him on the cheap right now.

Dabucs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Can the Avs trade ROR at the deadline? I thought that they couldn't.

Plus, he's got a nasty qualifying offer coming his way doesn't he?
They can't trade him until Feb. 28th, 2014 - and yes his QO is over $6 mill. The thought would be, agree on a long-term deal soon after the trade, at a lesser AAV than his QO. Can't see him worth more, and if he was, the Avs likely wouldn't move him (they'd move someone else).

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
I want Grabo and Antropov or Raymond.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Dirty30

Dustin Penner

Dirty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
JetBlue420
Rookie User

Im gonna go ahead and pass on Grabovski, Honestly, he is just not the type of guy the Jets want, if he would have shut up when he was bought out by the leafs and didnt go on a rant then maybe but because of his rant, i say pass plus he'd want too much money to come here. Honestly him ripping a true north favorite in carlyle prob means he aint coming here. Not much character there

Im cool with Antro at 1 year and 1.5 - 2 million

Brunner would be nice but that wont happen.

Honestly, outside of Bogo,Little,Wheeler, im not putting postma in that group just yet, he's kind of a defensive liability at times, mason raymond i think is a guy that would fit in..

Ladd,Little,Wheeler
Kane,Scheifele,Setogucci
Raymond,Jokinen,Frolik
Halischuk,Slater,Thorburn/Tangradi/Peluso.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:24 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Im gonna go ahead and pass on Grabovski, Honestly, he is just not the type of guy the Jets want, if he would have shut up when he was bought out by the leafs and didnt go on a rant then maybe but because of his rant, i say pass plus he'd want too much money to come here. Honestly him ripping a true north favorite in carlyle prob means he aint coming here. Not much character there

Im cool with Antro at 1 year and 1.5 - 2 million

Brunner would be nice but that wont happen.

Honestly, outside of Bogo,Little,Wheeler, im not putting postma in that group just yet, he's kind of a defensive liability at times, mason raymond i think is a guy that would fit in..

Ladd,Little,Wheeler
Kane,Scheifele,Setogucci
Raymond,Jokinen,Frolik
Halischuk,Slater,Thorburn/Tangradi/Peluso.
The fact he busted his ass in an ill-suited role without saying a word tells me more about his character than venting his frustrations towards an organization he was departing.

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
ATLbound

Im happy to go with our forward group. What we need is a real d-man. I just want a steady bottom pairing guy. Someone like a Stuart, who is a real NHL player, and is defensive. Then roll with Bogo, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Clitsome, Stuart and the pick up. And have either Redmond or Postma as the 7th. Let Trouba play the year, at least to start in the AHL. Maybe we can get him a call up at some point. We have to accept the fact we are going to lose someone with waivers... Redmond, Postma, or Odell. Cant send down someone like Scheif, or keep those young guys here to sit in the press box. Take the chance and try to send them down.

Pardy is a head scratcher??

If we don't pick up anybody I would roll with Bogo, Buf, Enstrom, Stuart, Clitsome, Trouba as our top 6. Pardy/ Redmond/ Postma can fight for the 7th.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:53 PM
ATLbound

As far as forwards though I am happy. We have at least 5 proven top 6 forwards. Best we have had in years!! If we can get Raymond for 1-2 I wouldn't complain though. Antro at 1.5-2 either. But as of right now I like it. And if anyone in our top 6 gets hurt, we will have guys on the 3rd line that can actually fill in, and not be out of place. With all that said, if Odell comes in and out plays Scheif, I am fine with giving him a shot at 2nd/ 3rd line centre. But I think Scheif will come in and prove himself this year.

Ladd- Little- Wheeler
Kane- Scheif- Seto
Halischuk- Jokinen- Frolik
Tangradi- Slater- Wright
Peluso/ Thorburn

I am fine to roll with that. It has size, speed, play makers, goal scorers. Baring major injuries we should put up lots of goals this year. And I personally think that group is a better forward group then Nashville, Dallas, Or Colorado has from top to bottom. Obviously those teams may be stronger in other areas.

Just for fun: PP1: Enstrom, Byfuglien, Little, Wheeler, Ladd

PP2: Bogo, Clitsome, Seto, Kane, Scheif/ Jokinen

PK1 ( forwards only): Little, Ladd
PK2: Frolik, Kane
PK3: Halischuk, Slater

3 Legit PK units, this will help Little, and Ladd so they don't use so much energy playing half of every PK.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Either Mason Raymond or Brenden Morrow.

Raymond can add speed on the wings, and hopefully regain some of his form from a few years ago. Morrow brings the extra leadership this team could really use. He's lost some of the footspeed, but the grit and tenacity are still there which is still perfect for the #3 LW spot.

Edit: Or Simon Gagne. That would be kind of cool.

Last edited by Sweech: 07-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote