HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect Rankings (2013 edition) - #11

View Poll Results: Who is the Jets #11 prospect
Austen Brassard 0 0%
Eric Comrie 23 33.82%
Andrew Copp 1 1.47%
Scott Kosmachuk 12 17.65%
Jan Kostalek 1 1.47%
Arturs Kulda 14 20.59%
J.C. Lipon 4 5.88%
Jimmy Lodge 9 13.24%
Julian Melchiori 1 1.47%
Ryan Olsen 0 0%
Eddie Pasquale 2 2.94%
Carl Klingberg 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
  #1
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 264
Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect Rankings (2013 edition) - #11

1. Jacob Trouba
2. Mark Scheifele
3. Josh Morrissey
4. Adam Lowry
5. Zach Redmond
6. Nic Petan
7. Paul Postma
8. Eric O'Dell
9. Connor Hellebuyck
10. Ivan Telegin

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
  #2
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 495
Went with Lodge.

I generally chill on such boom of bust players, but I have been talking about him for months. Hopefully he can beef up a little and keep improving. He will have to carry his team a bunch next year.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
  #3
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
I think I am going to vote for Ivan Tealgins Twin brother who is also named Ivan telegin..... or maybe we should edit the poll so we do not have a repeat of ovechkin named an all star at both lw and rw

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  #4
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
I voted Comrie....... I am usually not big on such a young Goaler ....but seeing that he has just been invited to Canadas WJC this summer ..... I am voting his way and hoping he can earn a spot on Canadas team this year........

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
  #5
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 264
Jeez, I accidentally included Telegin in the poll. That's what happens when you try and do this while distracted at work. It's been fixed.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
  #6
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
I guess this poll is hugely on how you evaluate talent. I take the guy who has proven #5/6 talent with potential to be #3/4 (shutdown Malkin/Datysuk in Russia if you watched him) rather than the much longer shot #1 goalie, but that's just me.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
  #7
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I guess this poll is hugely on how you evaluate talent. I take the guy who has proven #5/6 talent with potential to be #3/4 (shutdown Malkin/Datysuk in Russia if you watched him) rather than the much longer shot #1 goalie, but that's just me.
This I really have to disagree with. I know you're a Kulda fan but come on, a proven 5/6? When did he do that? at some point over the last 3 seasons and whopping 15 NHL games at the age of 25 in a couple weeks? Kulda is as much of an NHL'er right now as your average AHL'er with a glimmer of hope but he has yet to crack the bigs.

And the whole shutting down Datsyuk/Malkin in Russia, good God, I guess 29 NHL GM's missed that star gazing fact when he was passed over and unclaimed on waivers.

I get you like Kulda and I admire your knowledge and passion, and I do like Kulda to an extent myself, but let's not build him up to something is clearly isn't at this point.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=140320  8020
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:55 AM
  #8
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,055
vCash: 1165
A proven borderline NHLer is still better then a goalie that might neer even make the AHL....

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
  #9
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This I really have to disagree with. I know you're a Kulda fan but come on, a proven 5/6? When did he do that? at some point over the last 3 seasons and whopping 15 NHL games at the age of 25 in a couple weeks? Kulda is as much of an NHL'er right now as your average AHL'er with a glimmer of hope but he has yet to crack the bigs.
He has only not gotten the games since Noel stupidly will not give them to him. He was arguably (although not really that arguably IMO) the most consistant defender we had in the winning streak of December 2011. He is smart safe and makes all the right plays in his own zone during that time (and every time he is on the ice for). He does not have top end potential, but during that time he more than convinced me he would be no worse at very least than Clitsome. Maybe Jets management disagrees, but you could easily slot him in over 50-60 defenders in the NHL, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
And the whole shutting down Datsyuk/Malkin in Russia, good God, I guess 29 NHL GM's missed that star gazing fact when he was passed over and unclaimed on waivers.
Your timeline needs work

Let's not forget Matt Moulson (signed with the only team that wanted him at league minimum on a two-way), Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Chris Kunitz, etc, etc...

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  #10
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This I really have to disagree with. I know you're a Kulda fan but come on, a proven 5/6? When did he do that? at some point over the last 3 seasons and whopping 15 NHL games at the age of 25 in a couple weeks? Kulda is as much of an NHL'er right now as your average AHL'er with a glimmer of hope but he has yet to crack the bigs.

And the whole shutting down Datsyuk/Malkin in Russia, good God, I guess 29 NHL GM's missed that star gazing fact when he was passed over and unclaimed on waivers.

I get you like Kulda and I admire your knowledge and passion, and I do like Kulda to an extent myself, but let's not build him up to something is clearly isn't at this point.
I agree .... I like Kulda but I will not vote for him at all in this poll(even at #20). The reason being this is a poll of rating Jet prospects and how they will benefit the Jets in the future........Kulda is a good depth player at this time but his window is rapidly closing and I predict (givin how the Jets handled him so far).......He does not play another game for the Jets and becomes a UFA next July......

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  #11
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 264
Meh. Kulda is basically where Ben Maxwell was last year. Borderline for being considered a prospect and with no clear path to the NHL.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
  #12
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
A proven borderline NHLer is still better then a goalie that might neer even make the AHL....
In my opinion it goes deeper than just being a borderline NHL'er in these rankings. But, that's just my opinion. If you're a borderline NHL'er, you can be found at a dime a dozen rate. I like to consider many things in these rankings, but I do value potential over just being a borderline NHL'er. That isn't exactly a big seller for me in rankings that is in general projecting the future.

What about a proven borderline NHL'er in Machacek a year ago being better than, say, Telegin? because that didn't happen in last years rankings nor would I value Machacek over Telegin right now. Many viewed Telegin as a top 6-9 prospect based on potential in that pole, while Machacek was viewed as a bottom 6 guy and at that time penciled in as an NHL'er on our roster. Telegin slotted #3 last summer with 46 votes while Machacek (borderline proven NHL'er who finished the season quite well) finished with 2 votes in that 3rd round.


Flip to this pole, and Comrie is viewed as a potential 1-2 NHL quality goaltender (hard to tell yet, yes I agree), where as Kulda is a borderline NHL'er, run of the mill, dime a dozen depth defenseman. I guess it all depends on how you personally view these rankings.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  #13
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Meh. Kulda is basically where Ben Maxwell was last year. Borderline for being considered a prospect and with no clear path to the NHL.
I wish Kulda the same as I wish Machacek. A real chance with a team willing to give him a chance. I see Kulda succeeding hugely in the same way Hainsey did, with a new team that takes the chance to give him meaningful minutes rather than be stuck in their ways (how did Francis Boullion do? Was he really worth Hainsey?).

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  #14
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 495
I like Kulda, but I have no faith that he will ever play a major role for the Jets.

I am waiting a little on him.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
  #15
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
He has only not gotten the games since Noel stupidly will not give them to him. He was arguably (although not really that arguably IMO) the most consistant defender we had in the winning streak of December 2011. He is smart safe and makes all the right plays in his own zone during that time (and every time he is on the ice for). He does not have top end potential, but during that time he more than convinced me he would be no worse at very least than Clitsome. Maybe Jets management disagrees, but you could easily slot him in over 50-60 defenders in the NHL, IMO.
Playing easily the most shielded minutes on the team. And I don't know about all the right plays, granted I didn't many Randy Jones style **** ups, but Kulda seemed to be out of position quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I wish Kulda the same as I wish Machacek. A real chance with a team willing to give him a chance. I see Kulda succeeding hugely in the same way Hainsey did, with a new team that takes the chance to give him meaningful minutes rather than be stuck in their ways (how did Francis Boullion do? Was he really worth Hainsey?).
Fair enough. Someone picking him up on waivers would be a good start.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
  #16
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Playing easily the most shielded minutes on the team.
Not his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And I don't know about all the right plays, granted I didn't many Randy Jones style **** ups, but Kulda seemed to be out of position quite a bit.
Completely 100% disagree but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Fair enough. Someone picking him up on waivers would be a good start.
Again, he had not nearly proven as much as he has now, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
  #17
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
He has only not gotten the games since Noel stupidly will not give them to him. He was arguably (although not really that arguably IMO) the most consistant defender we had in the winning streak of December 2011. He is smart safe and makes all the right plays in his own zone during that time (and every time he is on the ice for). He does not have top end potential, but during that time he more than convinced me he would be no worse at very least than Clitsome. Maybe Jets management disagrees, but you could easily slot him in over 50-60 defenders in the NHL, IMO.



Your timeline needs work

Let's not forget Matt Moulson (signed with the only team that wanted him at league minimum on a two-way), Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Chris Kunitz, etc, etc...
Indeed, my timeline with waivers was off. Still, do you really think Kulda, who as you favorably claim was shutting down Malkin and Datsyuk was all that damn worthy that some other team wouldn't have seen him shutting down those elite stars and traded for him? Unless of course you believe Chevy has made it his mission to hide Kulda from the rest of the hockey world.

Your examples are good (Moulson, Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Chris Kunitz), and I agree to an extent with those guys, but those type of guys in my opinion are more the exception rather than the rule, and the number proves that in terms of borderline NHL'ers (quality AHL'ers) who never pan out in the big leagues.

I like Kulda, I think he has some nice tools, but he needs to **** or get off the pot here at some point given his age and experience as a pro.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  #18
takehisheadoff
Registered User
 
takehisheadoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cranbrook, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
I voted Lipon. And come about November after Scheifele and Trouba make the team. Petan will be our number 1 prospect even over Morrissey. And that is not a knock in anyway on Morrissey. I think both those 2 will make team Canada for WJ's. I seen Petan play a few times live this year and wow. When I seen after the first we got Petan, Comrie, Lipon, AND KITCHTON.
WE won the draft.

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  #19
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 50
Voted Kulda, add Kichton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I like Kulda, but I have no faith that he will ever play a major role for the Jets.
I tend to agree, but that doesn't make him less of a quality prospect does it?

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
  #20
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,193
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
I tend to agree, but that doesn't make him less of a quality prospect does it?
No, but it lessens his likely impact here.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
  #21
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 264
Just curious, why haven't I heard a peep about Patrice Cormier?

Has played more NHL games than Kulda, and is two years younger to boot.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
  #22
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Indeed, my timeline with waivers was off. Still, do you really think Kulda, who as you favorably claim was shutting down Malkin and Datsyuk was all that damn worthy that some other team wouldn't have seen him shutting down those elite stars and traded for him? Unless of course you believe Chevy has made it his mission to hide Kulda from the rest of the hockey world.
I don't think people have been hugely overwhelmed by Kulda due to lack of experience, but he will shine if given a chance. That's all he needs. He will eventually be a coveted player if given a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Your examples are good (Moulson, Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Chris Kunitz), and I agree to an extent with those guys, but those type of guys in my opinion are more the exception rather than the rule, and the number proves that in terms of borderline NHL'ers (quality AHL'ers) who never pan out in the big leagues.
That's the tricky thing with the NHL, we all like to believe that the best players all eventually get there and prove their worth, but MANY MANY players just never have the right opportunity to show their stuff and that's what seperates the Matt Moulson, Rob Scuderi, Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Dustin Penner's of the world from the Arturs Kulda, Aleksey Morozov, Tony Martensson, Jori Lehtera, Tomas Zaborsky's of the world.

We see this all time when a roster of Flavien Conne, Paul Di Pietro, Romano Lemm, Martin Pluss beats the heralded stars of Team Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I like Kulda, I think he has some nice tools, but he needs to **** or get off the pot here at some point given his age and experience as a pro.
Again, I do think that is at all his fault. It's the fault of the organization to give him the chance, IMO. The Islanders in recent years are showing that talent can be uncovered from unheralded players (Thomas Hickey, Matt Moulson, Brad Boyes, Brian Strait, Michael Grabner, Andrew MacDonald, Colin McDonald). We need to start giving these guys a REAL chance. That team is lower salary and keeps uncovering gems with nobodies since they play players to their strength and give them a REAL shot to show their talent level.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
  #23
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,068
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Just curious, why haven't I heard a peep about Patrice Cormier?

Has played more NHL games than Kulda, and is two years younger to boot.
For me, other than his face off prowess he has demonstrated next to no additional upside at the pro level when called up. He's been given a number of opportunities, and either can't or won't kick the door down and force the organization to keep him up. His game should be one of a feisty, hard to play against checking winger / centre that throws the body. This was his modus operandi during his junior years, but he seems to have gotten away from this game, unfortunately.

I think this will be a telling season for Cormier one way or the other - I believe that he's waiver eligible this year, yes?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  #24
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Just curious, why haven't I heard a peep about Patrice Cormier?

Has played more NHL games than Kulda, and is two years younger to boot.
He should have made the team out of camp this past season, the opportunity was there but the team felt the need to bring in players from other organizations, that really lowers my expectations for him.

Kulda's role / results on a team in a very strong league give me more hope for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdern Caulfield
Again, I do think that is at all his fault. It's the fault of the organization to give him the chance, IMO. The Islanders in recent years are showing that talent can be uncovered from unheralded players (Thomas Hickey, Matt Moulson, Brad Boyes, Brian Strait, Michael Grabner, Andrew MacDonald, Colin McDonald). We need to start giving these guys a REAL chance. That team is lower salary and keeps uncovering gems with nobodies since they play players to their strength and give them a REAL shot to show their talent level.
It's funny that you mention this, because it seems to me that the Jets have really tried to follow this sort of philosophy, looking for underutilized players via waivers and cheap trades and attempting to use them in bigger roles.

So far of course this hasn't really worked out for us, maybe Pro scouting needs an overhaul?

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  #25
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,697
vCash: 50
I can indeed agree with you here on many of your points, Holden. With a chance comes opportunity but also with an opportunity comes a chance. Perhaps you are right and that is all Kulda needs, much like we gave Redmond and Postma this season.

I still have my doubts about Kulda, but I wouldn't be upset if he was given a chance by any means. We'll see. Not counting him out completely, I just think he needs to show something here at some point to open the eyes of management so they give him a chance. Step up and make a nice hard hit along the boards/at the blueline a few times. If it were me, there comes a time when just being average and 'safe' may not be good enough to get recognized, so you gotta step up and do something to catch the eyes of the people watching you. Make them notice you, demand they look at you.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.