HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Big Mac
The Big Thick
The Long Stick

Lots of good nicknames for The Mac!! (Big Mac is definitely my favorite for now!).

Can't wait for:
McCarron-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
(2 yrs from now?).

Old
08-06-2013, 08:45 AM
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!

Liking all the good news that I'm hearing but I wouldn't put a timestamp on his development. I think 2 years leaping into NHL is more of a long shot, I'd prefer 2 more years juniour -> AHL. Don't forget its the route gallagher, and pk took. Tinner and Beaulieu(late bday, 1 more year of juniour after drafed, still 4 years total) are currently on it and I think we can all agree that it has helped them work on their weaknesses and continue progressing. Makes you realize what kind of beast galchenyuk is to come right out of juniour and make the team.

I personally believe it also shows that the road to NHL is no slouch, you work everyday to make it and work everyday to stay there.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Big Mac
The Big Thick
The Long Stick

Lots of good nicknames for The Mac!! (Big Mac is definitely my favorite for now!).

Can't wait for:
McCarron-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
(2 yrs from now?).
Only problem with this is that both McCarron and Gallagher play the RW...

Old
08-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Only problem with this is that both McCarron and Gallagher play the RW...
I know it's not the first time I say it, but people should stop pencilling Gallagher on the first line with Galchenyuk in the future.

McCarron? Who knows. He's a big body who could be used to get some room for Galchenyuk to display his skills. But Gallagher?

I have the impression what we see is what we get with him. Which is pretty darn good. Especially for a 5th rounder. But we have to temperate our expectations.

I see it more like:

Collberg - Galchenyuk - McCarron
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Bozon - JDLR - Hudon
Crisp - Dumont (?) - White

Old
08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I know it's not the first time I say it, but people should stop pencilling Gallagher on the first line with Galchenyuk in the future.

McCarron? Who knows. He's a big body who could be used to get some room for Galchenyuk to display his skills. But Gallagher?

I have the impression what we see is what we get with him. Which is pretty darn good. Especially for a 5th rounder. But we have to temperate our expectations.

I see it more like:

Bozon - JDLR - Hudon
Pacioretty has shown that he is a legit 1st line forward. I'd have him ahead of Collberg/McCarron.

Also I think Andrighetto will be better than Bozon/Hudon, but that's just my opinion.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Et le But

Pacioretty is already a 1st line winger and can drive possession himself (just ask Desharnais), though if a lot of our prospects live up to the hype, to compliment Galchenyuk I can see Collberg's shooting skill and McCarron's size/physicality fitting very well. All three are still what-ifs while Paciorrety is a proven NHLer though.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Pacioretty is already a 1st line winger and can drive possession himself (just ask Desharnais), though if a lot of our prospects live up to the hype, to compliment Galchenyuk I can see Collberg's shooting skill and McCarron's size/physicality fitting very well. All three are still what-ifs while Paciorrety is a proven NHLer though.
The thing is - Do you put both of your big top-6 wingers on the same line with Galchenyuk? You let Eller with Collberg and Gallagher?

That's what I had in mind when I proposed those lines.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Imo it'd be the other way around:
Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher
Sebastian Collberg - Lars Eller - Mike McCarron

Old
08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Imo it'd be the other way around:
Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher
Sebastian Collberg - Lars Eller - Mike McCarron
That's sexy.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Hard to say what the lines will look like in a couple of years. If the Habs trade for or sign a top six forward at least one of those players will be on a different line.

It's too early to anoint Gally and McCarron as top line players in a couple of years..a lot can happen. For all we know Plekanec is still a top-two center as well. It's not even out of the question that Briere is still with the team and a top six guy either..who knows? Perhaps Hudon or Thomas end up being top six guys, or Andrighetto, or someone else. Two years ago were many people looking at Gallagher as a top six guy? Very few.

All one needs to do is look at projected lineups from a few years ago when the Kostitsyns and Latendresse were considered future building blocks and shoo-ins as top six players by a lot of people.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Hard to say what the lines will look like in a couple of years. If the Habs trade for or sign a top six forward at least one of those players will be on a different line.

It's too early to anoint Gally and McCarron as top line players in a couple of years..a lot can happen. For all we know Plekanec is still a top-two center as well. It's not even out of the question that Briere is still with the team and a top six guy either..who knows? Perhaps Hudon or Thomas end up being top six guys, or Andrighetto, or someone else. Two years ago were many people looking at Gallagher as a top six guy? Very few.

All one needs to do is look at projected lineups from a few years ago when the Kostitsyns and Latendresse were considered future building blocks and shoo-ins as top six players by a lot of people.
Yup, someone linked to projected line-ups a few years ago and it was amusing (not that I'd do any better mind you). Not sure it's just a Habs board thing but we tend to really overrate our prospects.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:

Comon Grant, i was trying to forget those times!

Old
08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Jay Wolf

Quote:

My sentiments exactly!

We should do what the team GM's probably do: look at them as a pool of prospects and let them earn the spots they covet. "If you think you're a 1st line player, well show me!!" Why do you think MB and TT talk so much about character? They want talented players with the will to succeed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the "future lines" game. It's a lot of fun... though not very realistic.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

Stop trying to make sense

Old
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
No kidding. This is the place where good sense goes to die.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
No kidding. This is the place where good sense goes to die.
Then why are you both here exactly?

Old
08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Cass

Quote:
Then why are you both here exactly?
and now we have a Waiting for Godot moment!

Old
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Yup, someone linked to projected line-ups a few years ago and it was amusing (not that I'd do any better mind you). Not sure it's just a Habs board thing but we tend to really overrate our prospects.
It's all about having a little fun, I'm pretty sure most of us know all these guys won't live up to their potential, or even if they do, develop quick enough to displace some of the vets. Collberg, McCarron, etc, all have plenty of flaws keeping them out of the NHL right now, while that's normal for their ages, there's always the possibility they stop improving.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
JulesWagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I don't know why there is so much hype about this year's 1st round draft pick. I don't remember there being so much fallout when we drafted Tinordi, Beaulieu or Leblanc...
I take it that's because too many people are already imagining our own Milan Lucic coming up soon. As much as I hate to admit that we DO need that kind of player up front, there's no guarantee McCarron is it. Time will tell...

Old
08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj* View Post
Our future was so bright with the two most skilled foward we had in age, the potential PPG Kostitsyn brothers, the surefire 30 goals, maybe 40 goals scorer higgins, Guillaume " Bertuzzi" Latendresse our future 30 goals scorer powerfoward, our born leader first pairing D-man Komisarek. And we had a pretty deep prospect pool too with the offensive dynamo Locke , D'agostini, Milroy and Maxwell, while not forgetting Valentenko, the misterious Big 2 way d-man. Add the caracter guys in Chipchura, O'byrne and Ferland.. That dear 2010-2015 cup window..
That was the best era for my NHL video game Hamilton Bulldogs, but not nearly as good as when teh Bulldogs were stacked with White, Chipchura, Maxwell, Pacioretty, Weber, Carle, Price, Subban, Desharnais,

Old
08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Issacar

Quote:

I see it more like:

Bozon - JDLR - Hudon
And you still need to find a roster spot for Bournival, Holland, THomas, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Leblanc, de la Rose and Vail who all have NHL potential imo. The depth of our prospect pool is quite scary.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
And you still need to find a roster spot for Bournival, Holland, THomas, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Leblanc, de la Rose and Vail who all have NHL potential imo. The depth of our prospect pool is quite scary.
JDLR = De La Rose

As for Holland, Leblanc, Bournival and Vail, I just don't see it personally.

Lehkonen, Andrighetto or Thomas? Who knows....

Old
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Issacar

Quote:
JDLR = De La Rose

As for Holland, Leblanc, Bournival and Vail, I just don't see it personally.

Lehkonen, Andrighetto or Thomas? Who knows....
Thanks for clarifying JDLR, I didn't knew that.

Leblanc has way too high of a hockey IQ to fail. Justm y gut feeling.

I think that Vail has the potential to be a decent 3rd/2nd liner.

Bournival is too much of a workhorse to not make the NHL, his ceiling his questionable tho, could be a top 6 forward like he might just be a bottom 6 forward.

I like Holland's game overall, but yeah I agree that it's questionnable wether he makes the NHL.

Thomas already featured in an NHL game. Hockey Wise, we traded a player who was probably still anotehr year or 2 away from the NHL to a player who is close to the NHL if he isn't NHL ready yet.

I am biased toward Andrighetto, He's been a fun player to Watch in all the Q's game I attended and in which he was playing.

I only have international games to base an opinion on Lehkonen, but I like his grit and he is too offensively gifted to not make the NHL.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Captain Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I think that Vail has the potential to be a decent 3rd/2nd liner.
Having watched Vail in Windsor? Not so much.

He'd have to show something he hasn't to look like a second liner. Third line is his more likely ceiling, but fourth line is a better expectation.

I think a lot of Habs prospects right now are like that. Maybe if we were a bad team they'd be second liners but if we're a contender they will be more about depth and trade bait than vital contributors. And that's not a bad thing. There's maybe only five guys in our system (Collberg, McCarron, de la Rose, Hudon, Bozon) I could see being top six. Eh could be wrong.

I think Vail's best chance in the NHL is to be a Tom Pyatt.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Having watched Vail in Windsor? Not so much.

He'd have to show something he hasn't to look like a second liner. Third line is his more likely ceiling, but fourth line is a better expectation.

I think a lot of Habs prospects right now are like that. Maybe if we were a bad team they'd be second liners but if we're a contender they will be more about depth and trade bait than vital contributors. And that's not a bad thing. There's maybe only five guys in our system (Collberg, McCarron, de la Rose, Hudon, Bozon) I could see being top six. Eh could be wrong.

I think Vail's best chance in the NHL is to be a Tom Pyatt.
Fair enough, I only have a weak sample size of games to evaluate Vail (I think I've seen him play twice).

and I said 3rd/2nd, which implies he'd be on the 2nd line in case of injury or if you can't find any better option on the free agent market or via trades.

Vail being a trade bait is pretty much my opinion as well, I don't think we really have a spot for him in the line up, but that's still valuable.

Closed Thread