HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
The subject will always come up as McCarron himself said he'd take care of Lucic, wich was a mistake in the first place.
I guess i'm not up to date then lol. Link?

Old
09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I guess i'm not up to date then lol. Link?
Look for it in his post draft interviews.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I heard he wants to be LIKE Lucic, not beat Lucic.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I heard he wants to be LIKE Lucic, not beat Lucic.
He said he really models himself after Lucic and admire him, but when the reporters asked him about Lucic being the night mare of Habs fans, he said something along the lines of fighting him "I'll let him know him there" if i remember well, also he retweeted that:

Quote:
If you can really kick Lucic’s ass, then we’re REALLY happy you’re coming here!
I based myself on both these declarations to say "He said he'll take care of Lucic". He should have avoided the question, i mean there's gonna be a build up for sure.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
I believe it's you that needs to listen to those interviews....one person tweeted that he said he'd beat Lucic but I'm still waiting to actually hear that quote from Mac...any interview I've heard he talks about how much he looks up to Lucic.

This snippet from a Gazette article covers what he said pretty well

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they know the background, Canadiens fans won’t have an issue with the fact that 2013 draft pick Michael McCarron loves Milan Lucic.

That would be the same Lucic who’s a battering ram for the detested Boston Bruins, a thorn in the side of the Habs and their disciples on every stride of every shift.

“I love him because he can play on the fourth line or first line,” McCarron said on Wednesday, in Brossard for the first day of the Canadiens’ five-day development camp.

“(Lucic) can bang or fight, or play on the first line because he has tons of skill and can create points. That’s the type of player I think I am and that’s why I love him. He’s an awesome player.”

The 18-year-old from Macomb, Mich., up the road from Detroit, beamed with delight as he pulled on his Canadiens jersey, then charmed everyone — and perhaps even Lucic, had the Bruins forward been watching — with his refreshingly unscripted comments in interviews.

It was then that McCarron’s professional affection for Lucic first came to light. But after the shock of that wore off, this should have dawned on Habs fans: if the Canadiens can’t have the Boston wrecking ball in a CH sweater, what’s wrong with drafting a 6-foot-5½, 238-pound (and still filling out) player who seems he might become a reasonable facsimile?

On Twitter Sunday night, giddy Canadiens fan @93hockey4ever - Terrebonne's Chantal Leclair, a mother of three - addressed McCarron with: “If you can really kick Lucic’s ass, then we’re REALLY happy you’re coming here!”

And McCarron, on Twitter as @MacAttackUSA93, immediately retweeted it.

"I'm pretty sure (Lucic) has seen the tweets and is wondering, 'Who is this kid?' " McCarron said, grinning, the largest dressing-room media scrum he'd ever seen having drifted away 15 minutes after assembling.

"But I looked up to him as a player and I think that's helped shaped how I play."

Until now, and probably not for awhile yet, McCarron and Lucic have not met. When that day comes, if it's on the ice, their conversation won't be an exchange of good will.

"I'm not worried," McCarron said, grinning again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old
09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
He said he really models himself after Lucic and admire him, but when the reporters asked him about Lucic being the night mare of Habs fans, he said something along the lines of fighting him "I'll let him know him there" if i remember well, also he retweeted that:

I based myself on both these declarations to say "He said he'll take care of Lucic". He should have avoided the question, i mean there's gonna be a build up for sure.
Since when does retweeting what someone else said become something you said?

Old
09-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Fozz

Not that I care that much about his fighting skills, since I think it's not that important, but I kind of like how McCarron handled himself vs Latta. First, he stepped in and prevented this guy from going after Domi. He then got a good hold on him and didn't get a single punch thrown at him. That's good enough for me at this stage.

Last edited by Fozz: 09-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old
09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
68*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Not that I care that much about his fighting skills, since I think it's not that important, but I kind of like how McCarron handled himself vs Latta. First, he stepped in and prevented this guy going after Domi. He then got a good hold on him and didn't get a single punch thrown at him. That's good enough for me at this stage.
He didn't look that bad tbh. Looks strong and has good balance. I'm disappointed he couldn't beat up a much smaller European (no racist) but maybe he'll do better when he's not fighting someone with an astronaut helmet.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

vCash: 905
His fight was ok, it's just that he's not used to that, they don't fight in high school or college, just doesn't have the reflexes. Aggressiveness is there, he just needs to learn. But, what I find a bit weird, everybody just focus on his probable 'first fight ever', while he had a goal, and from other reports, he just was trying to hit everything that moves. There's more to a PF than fighting, much more, some people should get a clue...

Last edited by L4br3cqu3: 09-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

He fought exactly like he should at this stage: like a beginner! Once he learns to close up his fighting stance and not try to land to big roundhouse punches then he'll be ok since he has good balance and seems rather strong. He needs to hit in a more direct short fashion, like jabs and then you hook a bit more when the other guy's arms lower. I'm pretty sure Hunter took note of that and will instruct him on his future fights.

But he's a strong heavyweight all right...

Old
09-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
He fought exactly like he should at this stage: like a beginner! Once he learns to close up his fighting stance and not try to land to big roundhouse punches then he'll be ok since he has good balance and seems rather strong. He needs to hit in a more direct short fashion, like jabs and then you hook a bit more when the other guy's arms lower. I'm pretty sure Hunter took note of that and will instruct him on his future fights.

But he's a strong heavyweight all right...

I have no problem with people learning how to fight. Especially if you are a big guy and you want to add that trait to your game. But then, most people were already talking about how it was great to add this already great fighter in our ranks...So, let's first revise our evaluation on the kid, be patient and realize that he was not what some wanted him to be. Will he ever get there? No idea. My other point was that it has to be rare to see a guy going from learning the skill at the Junior level to then become a heavyweight that could hold his own against other real heavyweights in the NHL. At worst, let him be a René Bourque. Not the one who got surprised by Colton Orr but the one who did great against Matt Hendricks. That could never take Lucic, Thornton or Chara but that could hold his own let just call them light heavyweights. I would be fine with that as I prefer concentrating on his hockey aspects of his game.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:51 PM
No Team Needed

So obsessed with Lucic. Feels like the Neely days all over again.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Where's Corson when you need him?

Old
09-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He didn't look that bad tbh. Looks strong and has good balance. I'm disappointed he couldn't beat up a much smaller European (no racist) but maybe he'll do better when he's not fighting someone with an astronaut helmet.
So if you aren't bring race/country of origin prejudices up, why is it relevant that he fought a European?

Old
09-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
So if you aren't bring race/country of origin prejudices up, why is it relevant that he fought a European?
Cause Europeans say "Ouch!" "Stop it!" "I give up!" in so many different languages and that broadens your culture just listening to it and trying to guess wich country he comes from. A hockey fight can be a learning experience you know.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Really hope we stop with the fighting Big Mac and concentrate on the hockey player. Much more to work with in that department. I mean, I like Latta, really do, but he's in no way a heavyweight to say the least and Big Mac didn't dominate at all. Big Mac might turn out to be a, let's hope, more consistent, René Bourque. Could take care of his own, but will mostly know as a hockey player. Going out after Lucic is the LAST thing he should be thinking at doing....
I think he needs to fight...not every game, but it's a skill he needs to develop and the CHL is the perfect place for it. A guy his size(will be about 6'6" 250lbs filled out) taht can play, hit and fight will be a force in the NHL.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
The Habs killer on that team was Horton, not Lucic. I can't count how many key goals Horton scored against us in the playoffs.

Lucic's biggest claim to fame against Montreal is beating up Komisarek.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
shutehinside

This is so unhealthy for Big Mac. He's a kid now and likely will be when he breaks onto the Habs. Give him a break. Milan is a man now and dodged a LOT of fights in his earlier days until he got his feet wet and used to playing with men.

Assuming Mac will come in and pound Lucic on his first shift is not only foolhardy but could be devastating to his development. Best forget this whole Mac vs. Lucic scenario as I hope it won't happen for years to come. Lucic might not even he on the Bruins when Mac is ready to assume a more physical role.

I'd much rather see him crash the net, post on front of the goalie and rub guys out along the boards and be physical than seeing him beat one player. You know, big picture stuff.

Much ado about joking IMO.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Mac is just really learning to fight...give him a few years and we'll see if he has any real talent for it.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Tyson

18 year old kid and most everyone on this board is slamming this kid already? He is "developing" and will be for the next few years. During his development phase he will be working on all aspects of his game, skating, defensive play, fighting, etc.
Patience

Old
09-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Assuming Mac will come in and pound Lucic on his first shift is not only foolhardy but could be devastating to his development.
Much ado about joking IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
18 year old kid and most everyone on this board is slamming this kid already?
I only read the thread once, but where are the posts with the majority of the board pushing for McCarron to fight Lucic, or the posts that are slamming him?

I must have missed them.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Yeah the only problem with that Mac's fight is that he 'should' have obliterated him but didn't. He just looked like he was going for big bombs. Definitely needs work but the way some we're going on I thought he got embarassed or something.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Yeah the only problem with that Mac's fight is that he 'should' have obliterated him but didn't. He just looked like he was going for big bombs. Definitely needs work but the way some we're going on I thought he got embarassed or something.
He also completely took away his biggest advantage (height and reach) by crouching over and leaning back so much and kinda trapped himself in that position. Something I'm sure he will learn to use to his advantage over time.

Or maybe he was just powering up that one right hand

Last edited by Dagistitsyn: 09-03-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
09-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Jakomyte

I think what's more important than him winning or destroying the other guy in the fight is the reason that he was in that fight in the first place.

His smaller, top-line, skilled teammate (Domi, I think) was crashing the net looking for a goal and made contact with the goalie. This sent several players from the other team after him, and in no time McCarron came in, grabbed one of them from the scrum, and fought him. Who cares at that point what happens in the fight as long as McCarron can at least hold his own, which he more than did even though it was his first OHL fight. What this does is tells the other team that they have to go through him to get to Domi, and lets Domi know to keep going after the puck, because his back is covered.

Everyone loses fights, even the best enforcers in the game. However, these types of fights are WAY more important than the usual planned fights between tough 4th liners. This is the type of grit that the Habs could use on their top 2 or 3 lines, and what makes McCarron such an important prospect. Here's hoping he keeps developing in all facets of his game.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
aresknights

^ exactly what I posted a day after the scrap.
I like the attitude.
He also went after a Sting later ( who declined) that had been playing a tough game and going after some Knights.

Hunter knows how to groom NHLers. He'll work on his ENTIRE game here, and can learn from and play with players and a staff that'll groom him in all aspects.

I think he'll get in a few scraps early and then slow it down.

The OHL has a ten fight limit ( instigated upon doesnt count in the total) and then suspensions start and increase for every one after that, He and Humter want him on the ice so don't expect a 25 fight campaign

Closed Thread