HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He didn't look that bad tbh. Looks strong and has good balance. I'm disappointed he couldn't beat up a much smaller European (no racist) but maybe he'll do better when he's not fighting someone with an astronaut helmet.
European? Racist? Exactly what do you think Canadians (and most Americans) are? Chinese? Egyptians? Australian aborigines?

Old
09-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Matteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
This is so unhealthy for Big Mac. He's a kid now and likely will be when he breaks onto the Habs. Give him a break. Milan is a man now and dodged a LOT of fights in his earlier days until he got his feet wet and used to playing with men.

Assuming Mac will come in and pound Lucic on his first shift is not only foolhardy but could be devastating to his development. Best forget this whole Mac vs. Lucic scenario as I hope it won't happen for years to come. Lucic might not even he on the Bruins when Mac is ready to assume a more physical role.

I'd much rather see him crash the net, post on front of the goalie and rub guys out along the boards and be physical than seeing him beat one player. You know, big picture stuff.

Much ado about joking IMO.
Wise words.
And those who can' t wait to see Tinordi take on some heavies should remember those wise words.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Dale Hunter will make sure Big Mac has a grip on how to throw them and when to throw them.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I only read the thread once, but where are the posts with the majority of the board pushing for McCarron to fight Lucic, or the posts that are slamming him?

I must have missed them.
Really, this thread has just turned into a bunch of people arguing with imaginary posters who keep repeating that McCarron will pound Lucic at first sight.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Really, this thread has just turned into a bunch of people arguing with imaginary posters who keep repeating that McCarron will pound Lucic at first sight.
Ahhh they're just our annual off-season first round pick speculators that dont have anything better to talk about. in a way i GET it

you learn alot about posters in these threads especially. It RLY helps in reference for future threads you see them in on wether or not its worth a reply

Old
09-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
This is so unhealthy for Big Mac. He's a kid now and likely will be when he breaks onto the Habs. Give him a break. Milan is a man now and dodged a LOT of fights in his earlier days until he got his feet wet and used to playing with men.

Assuming Mac will come in and pound Lucic on his first shift is not only foolhardy but could be devastating to his development. Best forget this whole Mac vs. Lucic scenario as I hope it won't happen for years to come. Lucic might not even he on the Bruins when Mac is ready to assume a more physical role.

I'd much rather see him crash the net, post on front of the goalie and rub guys out along the boards and be physical than seeing him beat one player. You know, big picture stuff.

Much ado about joking IMO.
Completely agree!

At best he is probably closer to 5 years away from realistically challenging the Lucic's of the world. Let's concentrate on his progress as a power forward and the rest will figure itself out.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Analyzer*

People Lucic fought in his first season:

Pre-season
Matthew Spiller Never heard of him, but according to hockeyfights.com Lucic murdered him.
Tom Kostopoulous - Terrible fighter. Lucic likely won.

Season:
Brad Winchester (middle weight, Lucic with 80%)
Raitis Ivanans (heavyweight, Ivanans with 45%
Nick Tarnasky (middle weight?, Lucic with 94%)
Ben Eager (middle weight, Lucic with 45%)
Mark Bell (light weight, Lucic with 97.8%)
David Clarkson (middle weight, Lucic with94.4%)
Jared Boll (crazy guy. Middle weight, Lucic with 97.9%)
Barrett Jackman (Lightweight, Lucic with 95.8%)
John Erskine (heavyweight, Erskine with 93.8)
Wade Brookbank (middle-heavy weight, draw)
Tim Gleason (middle weight, Gleason with 86.2%)
Jarkko Ruutu (middle weight, Lucic with 87.2%)
Matt Bradley ( middle weight, Lucic with 99.6%)

This is at age 19-20 I believe.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Pre-season
Matthew Spiller Never heard of him, but according to hockeyfights.com Lucic murdered him.

Season:

Lol, the guy couldn't even drink a freaking beer in the US when you think about it...

Old
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

Pre-season

Season:

Wow the only losses were to Ivanans and Erskine? That's pretty crazy.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Wow the only losses were to Ivanans and Erskine? That's pretty crazy.
And Gleason.........

Old
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Don't forget that cave men fully mature at about 14 years. His hump was fully developed and loaded with energy stores........

Old
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
S Bah

All the main things that Mike should concentrate on are skating,shooting,checking and stickhandling, the basics that all players with intentions of a career in the NHL practice until they are able to do them blindfolded. When Dale Hunter is done teaching him the finishing touches will be all that's left when he arrives in Montreal. I have faith in McCarron's abilities to become a scoring force for the Habs as a RW that can play the game anyway that's required. A PWF that is capable of changing the outcome of games in many different ways, making room for his linemates just one of the obvious ways.

He will certainly open up new avenues on offence that haven't been used by the Habs in the past. It's rare a player his size has the requisite talent and skating to be an NHLer, as well as play for a legendary franchise where his particular talent will be used to it's fullest extent. Great to be a Hab fan in this era, methinks.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:52 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

Pre-season

Season:

I wonder how often Lucic fights heavy-weights like himself. The guy picks his spots like no one else.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
I wonder how often Lucic fights heavy-weights like himself. The guy picks his spots like no one else.
Your "argument" is such bs. I've read this so many times...

Old
09-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Not helping your argument including Gaustad and Vandermeer. Not among the league heavyweights. He's right to a certain extent..Lucic doesn't fight the top heavyweights that often, not that he can't best them....Julien would prefer him on the ice.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:26 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
All the main things that Mike should concentrate on are skating,shooting,checking and stickhandling, the basics that all players with intentions of a career in the NHL practice until they are able to do them blindfolded. When Dale Hunter is done teaching him the finishing touches will be all that's left when he arrives in Montreal. I have faith in McCarron's abilities to become a scoring force for the Habs as a RW that can play the game anyway that's required. A PWF that is capable of changing the outcome of games in many different ways, making room for his linemates just one of the obvious ways.

He will certainly open up new avenues on offence that haven't been used by the Habs in the past. It's rare a player his size has the requisite talent and skating to be an NHLer, as well as play for a legendary franchise where his particular talent will be used to it's fullest extent. Great to be a Hab fan in this era, methinks.
I concur. The fighting is secondary. It will come with it, since guys will challenge him anyway.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Maitz
Chucky#27

I'm at brossard right now and I'm really impressed by McCarron, good speed, good hands for a guy his shape and a pretty good shot. Nice pick by the Habs!

Old
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post

The only true heavy-eights there are Carkner and Orr. We all know that Lucic has fought some Heavyweights, but not as much as he fights Middle-weights.

He fought Prust last year, lets see if he will be willing to fight Parros or Murray this year.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
The only true heavy-eights there are Carkner and Orr. We all know that Lucic has fought some Heavyweights, but not as much as he fights Middle-weights.

He fought Prust last year, lets see if he will be willing to fight Parros or Murray this year.
Prust is a little more important to take off the ice with him than Parros. I could see Lucic fighting Murray but I doubt he would waste his time with someone who is 100% enforcer and nothing else. Lucic is a top 6 player who just happens to be a good fighter, I don't blame him for "picking his spots", he's not just some goon who has to fight other goons.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

A player of Lucic's caliber shouldn't have to fight the ankle burning apes of the league. That is a trade the opposition will make every time and he would only be hurting his team by entertaining these offers. The Bruins have Thornton to take care of these situations so that Lucic can stay out of the box as much as possible.

Every now and then he lets the goons know that he can still hurt them and this is the way it should be.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
DJ Breadman

Lucic picks his spots big time, every now and then he has to answer to some of the bigger heavy weights but mostly he picks his spots

Old
09-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
All the main things that Mike should concentrate on are skating,shooting,checking and stickhandling, the basics that all players with intentions of a career in the NHL practice until they are able to do them blindfolded. When Dale Hunter is done teaching him the finishing touches will be all that's left when he arrives in Montreal.
This.

The focus on his fighting abilities is ludicrous. McCarron future in the NHL will depends on his ability to round up his game in the next few years, not if he takes boxing lessons or what not.

I remember an interview with Nilan where he basically said that he never found fighting to be difficult back in his playing days. Becoming a good enough player to be considered good enough to play in the best league in the world, was a much more difficult challenge. That's on what McCarron must focus on. Not on becoming a good brawler when fighting is getting rarer and rarer every season. Not on getting on par with Lucic.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
How did a McCarron thread become a Lucic thread?

Looch is a 30 goal scorer and a cup winner. He really shouldn't be fighting any heavyweights unless they are in the top 6 of the other team. He enjoys fighting and knows what a boost in can bring to his team in under the right circumstances. He does tend to be invisible many times but when he brings the pain in the corners on a dump in you know dmen are looking out for him.

If McCarron becomes a poor man's Lucic (maybe he can skate better ) we will all be happy fans.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
You guys are obsessed with Lucic, it's sad.
Not only is he a force on the ice but his dad is also a great actor.....he was incredible in "Quest for Fire" , "Iceman" and "The Clan of the Cave Bear".....apparently he was a natural

Old
09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Lucic picks his spots big time, every now and then he has to answer to some of the bigger heavy weights but mostly he picks his spots
Lucic picking his spots happens 'cause he's a top 6 player and his job isn't to go and accept fights from any goon or concentrate in spending more time in the penalty box than on the ice. What was right for us THEN, as far as Komisarek was concerned, is right NOW and THEN for Lucic. And even if we would like to believe he is indeed picking his spots, he didn't back down from a lot of players not named George Laraque or any other totally unuseful goon....And in the end, if those goons weren't unable to make him drop it or just start swinging 'cause they were so irritated by his behaviour, well it's their problem. Somehow, how are the Bruins not entitled to any "code" but the rest of the league is? Pure BS. Or what was Colton Orr's code against Bourque? You want to take Lucic out? You are really scared of the instigating penalty on a 82-game season? Somebody should have went after him and make him drop those gloves. And I'm blaming more the Laraque of this world than Lucic himself.

Now, for Big Mac...I hope people solely expect a great 1st round hockey player. If the fights comes in and he incredibly becomes a Lucic, we'll praise the gods. But as of now, hockey is fine with me. And he too, will be able to pick his spots. But for that, he needs to become a top 6 player. Work ahead.

Closed Thread