HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Patrice Bergeron signs 8 year deal (AAV 6.5 Million)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 12:44 PM
marty111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
...?

7.5 x 8 = 60

He wanted an 8 year deal. That makes absolutely no sense. 9 x 2 is 18, would that be a discount?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
No team but Boston could've offered him an 8 year deal, so if he went on to the market, he probably wouldn't have gotten any more money than he wound up with.
Thanks!

Old
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Yeah, Rask makes 52.5m to Bergeron's 52m so a whole 500k...highway robbery, someone call the po-po!
Tries to be sarcastic at my sarcasm.

Not sure if joking or just not smart.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Fantastic player.

Old
07-12-2013, 12:57 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Why do people keep regurgitating this? Every player is "one hit away" from ending their career...that's the nature of the league. That's why every contract is insured, and that's why there are provisions in place (LTIR, etc) to protect teams should players suffer career ending injuries.
It's not just retirement from injuries you have to worry about, it's also severely diminished play because of injuries.

He could be one hit away from being the next Chris Drury, then you're stuck with a 4th liner taking up 10% of your cap for the next 8 years.

I love that suddenly with all these stupid contracts players have been signed to in these last two weeks everyone thinks there's no risk to signing players to stupid money over a long period of time.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
bruinforstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
It's not just retirement from injuries you have to worry about, it's also severely diminished play because of injuries.

He could be one hit away from being the next Chris Drury, then you're stuck with a 4th liner taking up 10% of your cap for the next 8 years.

I love that suddenly with all these stupid contracts players have been signed to in these last two weeks everyone thinks there's no risk to signing players to stupid money over a long period of time.
The problem with your theories are this....

1) Bergeron's play has gotten better, post injuries. So, not worried about his skills becoming "diminished"

2) Any player is "one hit away" from being the next Chris Drury. Yes, even your precious Toews

3) Any contract, at any length, is a "risk"

Old
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Probably $0.5 million less than the market value, but he got 8 years. I don't think it's a steal; it's a good deal for both sides.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinforstanley View Post

1) Bergeron's play has gotten better, post injuries. So, not worried about his skills becoming "diminished"

2) Any player is "one hit away" from being the next Chris Drury. Yes, even your precious Toews

I think this is a good signing by the Bruins but to refute your points:

1. The only times he has broken 70 points was before his injury.

2. Players that have previous concussions are medically at higher risk of experiencing them again and are more susceptible to them than other players.

3. 8 year contracts are CLEARLY carry more inherent risk than short term contracts.

Not saying it's a bad signing, but those are all also valid points.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Good deal, term is a bit long but I'm sure Bergeron has many good years left and will retire a Bruin.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
With Getzlaf and Giroux where they are I this is a pretty good deal. 7 would have been where I would have guessed based on the market.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:27 PM
VanNucks

This is probably gonna bite them a bit in the tail ends of the deal...but until then, they locked up the best 2-way center in the NHL, a faceoff wizard, and...

A (soon to be) two time Olympic Gold medalist.

The contract isn't great, but it isn't bad either. Looking at what lesser players got on the UFA market, the cost is pretty reasonable. Boston's options were probably along the lines of: offer a deal like this, or risk losing Bergeron. They made they right call.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

vCash: 580
Good for Bruins. But these 8 year deals are ridiculous. When has one long (over 5 years) term deal been great to the end of it? Its a long time and many things will happen and change during it. Max 5 year deals IMO.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Great deal all-around, Bergeron belongs in Boston.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
VanNucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gilead View Post
Good for Bruins. But these 8 year deals are ridiculous. When has one long (over 5 years) term deal been great to the end of it? Its a long time and many things will happen and change during it. Max 5 year deals IMO.
Keith deal worked out pretty nice. Even if it screws them later, the cap hit is 5.5 and they won a cup so it was worth it. The Harmonic deal is similar (and could even turn out to be better)

Guys like Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin etc warrant those monster deals because they are either going to be great for years, or get injured (and be off the books)

Personally, I wouldn't sign anyone over 25 to a contract over 5 years though.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Seems like only yesterday:

Old
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinforstanley View Post

Agree with all this. Reluctantly, I think it is a good signing at a good price for the Bruins.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
ObjectiveOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post

2. Players that have previous concussions are medically at higher risk of experiencing them again and are more susceptible to them than other players.

3. 8 year contracts are CLEARLY carry more inherent risk than short term contracts.

1. The point was he's gotten better every year since the injuries while playing drastically better defense. If you think he was a better player before the first concussion, you're just not watching the games.

2. This is not a counterpoint.

3. If there's any player in the league that you can count on to be reliable over an 8 year term, it's Bergeron.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
I think the one thing that will help it along is that Bergeron, even at the end of this deal, will still be playing above average defensively and with his hockey IQ, he can still be moderately productive towards the end. The real question mark is the health, and that's it.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
dukeofjive

Dudes a cyborg, he could have gotten more in my opinion.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post

yeah, because so many top players with any type of injury history would accept crappy contracts on the premise that they might get hurt again.

find me one top line player (or any player) who's willing to sign a crappy contract for the benefit of protecting the team from him getting hurt, instead of protecting himself from getting hurt.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:32 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post

theres more to hockey than points.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
As long as the CBA allows long contracts every key player who wants one will get one. Why would the best players settle for 4-5 year deals?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:36 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
I just don't like the length of the contract. With his concussion history I think it is a huge risk. Great player though.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
As long as the CBA allows long contracts every key player who wants one will get one. Why would the best players settle for 4-5 year deals?
Maybe that my comment before was too harsh, but there is a lot of pressure to play really well 8 years, usually it just dont work that way.

Old
07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
6 God

Good value for a top centre for Boston. Term is long, but a 6.5 AVG is fine.

Old
07-12-2013, 03:08 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Good deal for both parties. The 8 year deals for current team thing should pay off for a lot of teams looking to lock up their best players. Good call NHL.

Closed Thread