HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarity on Ordinary Course Buy-outs

Old
07-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Jesusberg

vCash: 500
Clarity on Ordinary Course Buy-outs

So I've been looking for answers pretty much every where on whether or not Detroit would be able to buy-out Samuelsson using a regular one outside of the compliance period - there just seems to be a ton of confusion. I'm sure every one has seen this part of the CBA by now:

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to
exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in
accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than
three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period.

So the language would seem to indicate that the club needs two of those types of arbitration, which are actually club-elected buy-outs (unlike Smith, who was player elected). It also seems to indicate that those players eligible had to have made over 1.750 million, including bonuses and whatnot. Not sure if I'm reading all of this properly.

I guess my question is, does player-elected arbitration pertain to that ordinary buy-out window in any way? I don't want to assume inclusion by exclusion, but I wonder if perhaps the team only needs one player-elected arbitration hearing in order to be able to use a buy-out. All pretty confusing to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Direct link to the PDF version of the CBA: http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...A_2013_CBA.pdf

Jesusberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

That clause refers to team elected arbitration, not player elected arbitration. We've already discussed this in other threads.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
sepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
That clause refers to team elected arbitration, not player elected arbitration. We've already discussed this in other threads.
So then clarify his query since you're already aware of the answer.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Jesusberg

I'm aware of what it refers to - I mentioned that in my post. I was curious about player-elected arbitration being mentioned elsewhere, but it's not a big deal. No worries.

Jesusberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:41 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1439321&page=9

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote