HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Did LouLams make one of the worst GMing mistakes of all time? (1st rnd comp)

Old
07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Did LouLams make one of the worst GMing mistakes of all time? (1st rnd comp)

I'm talking non-trade/ signing related here:

The penalty levied onto the Devils from the league for the Kovalchuk signing was (the Devils) choice of 1st rounders given up as compensation for cap circumvention.

Against the odds, the Devils go to the Cup finals and have the 29th overall pick to give up... almost as good as it gets, right?

No.

In an attempt to somehow sway Parise by showing him they believe it can be the 30th overall pick instead, or something, they hold on to the pick and let the opportunity go by. I thought it was a stupid, stupid gamble at the time, but not much was made of it. Of course, they can't give up the pick this year that brings them back Schneider so now, I believe, next year they will be forced to give up the pick.

With Kovalchuk they picked 8th overall this year.
Without Kovalchuk they could very well be looking at a top 1-2 or 3 overall pick that they will be forced to give up, instead of the 29th in a so-so (depth) draft.

Worst decision ever? Thoughts?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:22 PM
NYDevil

One of the best GM in pro sports turned a crappy franchise into one of the best run organizations in all of sports winning three Stanley cups and responsible for drafting and acquiring some of the games greatest players off all time. Even if he made a mistake who cares.

NYDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Offspring

They played terribly in the 2013 season with Kovalchuk injured. Tack on the fact that they lost Clarkson too and the Devils aren't looking too good next year.

Yes, in hindsight...one of the worst.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

The penalty levied onto the Devils from the league for the Kovalchuk signing was (the Devils) choice of 1st rounders given up as compensation for cap circumvention.

Against the odds, the Devils go to the Cup finals and have the 29th overall pick to give up... almost as good as it gets, right?

No.

In an attempt to somehow sway Parise by showing him they believe it can be the 30th overall pick instead, or something, they hold on to the pick and let the opportunity go by. I thought it was a stupid, stupid gamble at the time, but not much was made of it. Of course, they can't give up the pick this year that brings them back Schneider so now, I believe, next year they will be forced to give up the pick.

Without Kovalchuk they could very well be looking at a top 1-2 or 3 overall pick that they will be forced to give up, instead of the 29th in a so-so (depth) draft.

Yeah it was very stupid.

I still think the Clowe contract was worse though.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfreak7

Pretty bad decision even without hindsight, but one of the worst? Hard to say.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
It's a bad decision but certainly not the worst ever. Hell, the top 10 worst ever were probably all made by Sather.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
duffy9748

Quote:

No.

I don't know about worst decision ever, but it is going to hurt them pretty bad. They are also in a division now with 7 teams that have a lot of young talent. You could make a case that every one of the Penguins, Flyers, Rangers, Islanders, Hurricanes, Capitals, and Blue Jackets are better set up moving forward in terms of their young cores.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
duffy9748

Also, Lamoirello obviously has a tremendous track record, but the Devils haven't been much of a threat outside of 2012 since Scott Stevens/Scott Niedermeyer left.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NugentHopkinsfan

its hard to be perfect all the time. I never viewed Kovalchuk as THE MAN to build a franchise around because he always seemed so wishy washy but they got one cup run out of it.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TychoFan

vCash: 216
Now that Kovalchuck is gone, I really hope for the Devils that they get to keep their pick... Or at least forfeit something else.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
It's a bad decision but certainly not the worst ever. Hell, the top 10 worst ever were probably all made by Sather.
Mike Milbury would like to challenge that.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDevil View Post
One of the best GM in pro sports turned a crappy franchise into one of the best run organizations in all of sports winning three Stanley cups and responsible for drafting and acquiring some of the games greatest players off all time. Even if he made a mistake who cares.
Somehow this logic doesn't stop Devils fans from critiquing Glen Sather.

Lou Lamoriello was arguably the best GM in the NHL from about 1990-2005. He'll easily make it into the Hall of Fame and should be respected. That doesn't mean he becomes immune to evaluation or criticism for anything that has happened since.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but there's no doubting that the Devils would be a much different team (and almost definitely better off) without the Kovalchuk debacle. We can say it was unfair how the NHL chose to punish the Devils, but he nonetheless chose to sign Kovalchuk over Parise. And chose to not forfeit the 29th overall pick when it was such an incredibly obvious choice to make. It's going to take 5-10 years for us to truly see how this is going to affect the Devils, but safe to say that some of the decisions made in the last few years look pretty disastrous right now.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Gil Gunderson

It was a big mistake, but I could sort of see what he was doing. It could have been his way of not selling his team short for the upcoming season.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Fire Dumboer

In hindsight yes. At the time I don't think so because we were hoping to get Vasilevski or Subban.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

It was a mistake, sure. But very far from the worst.

Kovalchuk was/is one of the premier snipers in the league. If he had signed with another team, and LL traded the first round pick to acquire him, it would have been considered a great trade. Sucks that he traded a first rounder to free agency, but I think most GMs would have traded a first round pick for three years of Kovalchuk.

The other thing to consider is that LL didn't give up the 29th overall pick because of confusion with the deadline of when they were going to declare forfeiture of the pick. LL thought they had 48 hours, when they actually had 24. I don't know the source of the confusion, but it's not like it was a conscious decision to keep the 29th.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
burgess1978

I think the guy they picked at #29 (Stefan Matteau) had a bit to do with it. I doubt they make that pick unless they had him a lot higher on their list.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
One of the worst? Nah. No way.

07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

oh god, seriously? this thread again? its like the 5th at least

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
I think the guy they picked at #29 (Stefan Matteau) had a bit to do with it. I doubt they make that pick unless they had him a lot higher on their list.
nothing to do with it. Lou had to tell the League if he was keeping the pick 28 hours after the cup final. so how could he have known

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Drij

worst mistake recently anyway.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:09 PM
puckyeah

Quote:

No.

This team was in the Cup the year before last, do you think one player makes that big of a difference? They are still a pretty good team, no?

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
xlnc66

It was an absolutely idiotic move by Lou not to forfeit it at 29th, and now the Devils will pay dearly. This would be a top 5 pick guaranteed without Ilya, and now it will be nothing.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Erik Alfredsson

Yeah this will bite them in the butt, might be the first year ever in NHL history without a 1st round pick.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Fat Jughead

Stupid gamble for your average GM. Lou's straight up hockey gangster. He ain't giving up jack ****.

This is the perfect excuse for the league to rescind their penalty. Unfair ruling to begin with imo. Like Jersey was the 1st club to blatantly circumvent the cap...

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Because Lou could have predicted he was signing a spineless, non-committed Russian faux Hockey Player, right?

The contract itself was bad, and JVB is the one who pushed for it.

End of story.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote