HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN's Top 5 riskiest contracts

Old
07-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 500
ESPN's Top 5 riskiest contracts

It's an ESPN 'insider' article, so they only give you the first entry for free at the link below. I have pasted the insider content for the other 4 entries.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...st-free-agents

Quote:
Every year we highlight the riskiest signings -- the players most likely to come up short of the long-term financial investments made in them. This season it was almost exclusively offensive-minded forwards that required risky premiums to acquire.

The system we use to find these riskiest contracts is based on Goals Versus Salary, or GVS, which measures the value of a player's contributions -- offensive, defensive and goaltending, in terms of goals relative to what a player with the same cap hit would provide over the course of the entire deal. Our expectations for each player are based on an average of their past three seasons, where each season is given twice the predictive weight as the one previous. We are considering only the unrestricted agents who were signed on or after the July 5 start to the free-agent season -- which means that players like Flyers signee Mark Streit, who otherwise would have easily made this list, are left out.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-18-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Horton, at age 28, will only decline? Possibly, but "only"? No. Of course there's risk, but I'd gauge it as well within an acceptable range for the Jackets.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
I agree pretty easily as the riskiest contracts were pretty obvious to spot this year. From a Leaf fan's view Clarkson contract is obviously risky, but he's exactly what we need and we think he has a chance to really solidify/fill a need in our top 6 that MIGHT make him worth the contract for us (me and a bunch of leaf fans are of the "wait and see" opinion when judging Clarkson).

It's mentioned that Bozak is close to making the list which seems weird to me... I'm not a fan of Bozak, but 4.2m for him doesn't seem that bad to me. Obviously we need an upgrade on our #1C though so I'm not a fan of the 5 years because I hope we have an upgrade by then.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

The risk for Horton is his injury risk, not sure about the decline though

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Horton, at age 28, will only decline? Possibly, but "only"? No. Of course there's risk, but I'd gauge it as well within an acceptable range for the Jackets.
Injury-prone is the only thing affecting him. Declining through a full 82 seas? Not a chance.

BackhandToeyJoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:33 AM
dawkins121

Historically forwards tend to peak during their age 24-27 seasons so there's definitely risk of decline for Horton. Still not a bad signing though, not like his production is going to fall off a cliff just because he's out of that range.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:01 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Historically forwards tend to peak during their age 24-27 seasons so there's definitely risk of decline for Horton. Still not a bad signing though, not like his production is going to fall off a cliff just because he's out of that range.
They tend to offensively peak in their early 20's, but that's not to say you actually decline in your early 30's. I'm sure that by the end of the contract he'll have declined, but injury risk aside, it's one of the better big UFA contracts given out this year.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
not only does ESPN know little about hockey, you actually have to sign-up to read the rest of the article?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:36 AM
xX Hot Fuss

The Bozak contract isn't risky. It's just absolutely terrible and stupid

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I would've put the contract that was given to ESPN to show hockey at the top of the list.

Even if I don't think they show games anymore.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:49 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Horton is a gamer come playoff time, so the Blue Jackets will hopefully get to realize that potential with him. I think decline is a bad choice of words, but I wouldn't hold your breath for Horton to be anything more than a 25/25 guy that he's been in recent years (and that's with Lucic and Krejci as his linemates). I'm not slamming him at all, as I actually like him as a player, and think he was worth the risk for the Blue Jackets to prove they can attract legitimate UFA's still in their prime. But he takes too many nights off in the regular season to be much more than a 25/25 guy when healthy.

The difference between the elite point producers and the great players that never seem to produce at an elite level is consistency in my opinion. Elite players seem to put up points just about every night, and don't often find themselves in the middle of many scoreless droughts. The other guys can produce in bunches, but it's not uncommon for them to go MIA for long stretches of games. Horton is one of those other guys...until the playoffs start.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Horton is a gamer come playoff time, so the Blue Jackets will hopefully get to realize that potential with him. I think decline is a bad choice of words, but I wouldn't hold your breath for Horton to be anything more than a 25/25 guy that he's been in recent years (and that's with Lucic and Krejci as his linemates). I'm not slamming him at all, as I actually like him as a player, and think he was worth the risk for the Blue Jackets to prove they can attract legitimate UFA's still in their prime. But he takes too many nights off in the regular season to be much more than a 25/25 guy when healthy.

The difference between the elite point producers and the great players that never seem to produce at an elite level is consistency in my opinion. Elite players seem to put up points just about every night, and don't often find themselves in the middle of many scoreless droughts. The other guys can produce in bunches, but it's not uncommon for them to go MIA for long stretches of games. Horton is one of those other guys...until the playoffs start.
Thankfully, a 25/25 guy is basically just what we need. We don't need One Single Savior Forward - we tried that formula already.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
not only does ESPN know little about hockey, you actually have to sign-up to read the rest of the article?
LOL this, I never go to ESPN anyway but every once in a while I'll watch a video there because it's not blocked at work and another coworker watches them. I am yet to see a video on hockey that was 100% accurate. And I'm not talking about opinions that I disagree with, I'm talking about facts that they were just plain wrong on.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I thought this thread was about the top 5 contracts for ESPN announcers.

Chris Berman has to be up there.

ESPN and hockey?... Blaaahhhh!!!!!!! who cares anymore. Unless it's football season, ESPN doesn't exist for me.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Thankfully, a 25/25 guy is basically just what we need. We don't need One Single Savior Forward - we tried that formula already.
He fits in well with your team. He may have a few cold streaks here and there, but he'll be fine for at least the first 4-5 years, barring any major concussions. I could see him and Anisimov complimenting each-other very well in Columbus.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:52 AM
John Stamos
Have Mercy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I thought this thread was about the top 5 contracts for ESPN announcers.

Chris Berman has to be up there.

ESPN and hockey?... Blaaahhhh!!!!!!! who cares anymore. Unless it's football season, ESPN doesn't exist for me.

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Well Horton is out for 4-6 months following surgery

Vindication for ESPN?

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Well Horton is out for 4-6 months following surgery

Vindication for ESPN?
This was known well before he signed the deal with Columbus. He's been scheduled out until about December since the season wrapped up, so no surprises there.

BTW, as a Bruins fan, I like Horton and think it's a decent signing for Columbus. It's never a bad idea to bring proven winners into your dressing room if you're a culture that currently has very little of that. A quick look at the Jackets roster, and Horton is the only guy with a ring unless i'm mistaken. Stats aside, that has value.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

To many bad contracts.

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote