HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs' Bozak talks new additions, contract, criticism

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  #26
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
They have to keep him on the 1st PP unit because no one else can consistently win faceoffs. If he's not on the first PP unit then 7 out of 10 times the puck is out and down the ice right off the bat killing the first 25 - 30 seconds at least of the PP.
Thats true, but If Kadri improves his faceoffs to 50% (Bozak is only 52.5%) then Kadri should be on the 1st PP unit.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:55 PM
  #27
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,326
vCash: 500
People need to chill out about Bozak not being a number one center and getting worked up over that. The guy is simply a center who plays on the first line and keeps things tidy. With Kessel taking up the bulk of the playmaking, puck carrying responsibilities, and Kadri providing distributed scoring on another line and the Leafs scoring the 5th most goals in the league, we do have some time to shop for a number one center.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:57 PM
  #28
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz
 
Mikeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
goooooo bozak! he'll show grabo whats good. Bozak is going for a 55 point season, book it boys

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
  #29
Renegade
Registered User
 
Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pickering, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Leafs fans don't see the positives in Tyler Bozak. He's not a traditional #1 C but he definitely holds up. He does things on the ice that people don't recognize and that doesn't necessarily end up in points. He makes space for Kessel. There's a reason why Kessel loves having him on his line. Even then, Bozak is a clear 45-50 point guy easily. He's great at face offs, he scored our only shoot out goals this year, our only SHORT HANDED goals this year, etc.

The reason we still have him is because we can't get a #1 centre that easily. Leafs fans need to stop drinking blue kool aid and understand that #1 C's aren't traded away. You must draft them or trade for them when they're young. We have a few guys down the pipeline yet they are not developed enough to take on the #1 role. Bozak is a good replacement for now.

In 2-3 years, Bozak will be expendable and Kadri/Gauthier will be our 1-2 punch.

Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
  #30
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz
 
Mikeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Leafs fans don't see the positives in Tyler Bozak. He's not a traditional #1 C but he definitely holds up. He does things on the ice that people don't recognize and that doesn't necessarily end up in points. He makes space for Kessel. There's a reason why Kessel loves having him on his line. Even then, Bozak is a clear 45-50 point guy easily. He's great at face offs, he scored our only shoot out goals this year, our only SHORT HANDED goals this year, etc.

The reason we still have him is because we can't get a #1 centre that easily. Leafs fans need to stop drinking blue kool aid and understand that #1 C's aren't traded away. You must draft them or trade for them when they're young. We have a few guys down the pipeline yet they are not developed enough to take on the #1 role. Bozak is a good replacement for now.

In 2-3 years, Bozak will be expendable and Kadri/Gauthier will be our 1-2 punch.
um i dont think we have any 1c guys in the system thats currently developing in the marlies/elseware. Brown projects to be a 2c one day so that should b good too

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
  #31
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Bozak is the centre on the #1 line, but is not a "#1 centre".

Whatever.

Kadri is this team's #1 centre, is already producing like one, and is only getting better.

The Leafs are very deep at wing, pretty deep in goal, and decently deep at defense. They'll be fine.

The fact is that Bozak is on track to be one of the best NCAA FA signings ever.

Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, Hank Sedin, Olli Jokinen, Paul Stastny and Derek Roy are UFA centres next year.

Thinking about what prevented the Leafs from going past the first round, I don't think having a Crosby, Malkin or B Richards was it. I'd say having a little more toughness, grit, playoff experience and a better checking line centre than Grabovski probably were.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:22 PM
  #32
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr grieves View Post
That seems to be the case. So, he's all for competition in the crease, but not at center... ok.
Or perhaps when Nonis looked at the best centre available via FA and noticed that the guy wasn't a top 1C who also had wrist surgery earlier in the year and had yet to play a game since his injury, he decided to focus on the 'safe' option rather than assume any risk. After all, the team already has one top 6 player that you can't seem to rely on him being healthy for a full season.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:30 PM
  #33
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Leafs fans don't see the positives in Tyler Bozak. He's not a traditional #1 C but he definitely holds up. He does things on the ice that people don't recognize and that doesn't necessarily end up in points. He makes space for Kessel. There's a reason why Kessel loves having him on his line. Even then, Bozak is a clear 45-50 point guy easily. He's great at face offs, he scored our only shoot out goals this year, our only SHORT HANDED goals this year, etc.

The reason we still have him is because we can't get a #1 centre that easily. Leafs fans need to stop drinking blue kool aid and understand that #1 C's aren't traded away. You must draft them or trade for them when they're young. We have a few guys down the pipeline yet they are not developed enough to take on the #1 role. Bozak is a good replacement for now.

In 2-3 years, Bozak will be expendable and Kadri/Gauthier will be our 1-2 punch.
Lol! So that's why Kessel only has 2 guys on him every game.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
  #34
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Bozak will be fine until we have a better option....We improved our goaltending and our forwards are going to be played in their proper roles....last year that was not the case. We still need to purge our roster of Liles and this will open up space for a possible trade or a signing....teams still need to shed cap...

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:06 PM
  #35
Caesium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
They have to keep him on the 1st PP unit because no one else can consistently win faceoffs. If he's not on the first PP unit then 7 out of 10 times the puck is out and down the ice right off the bat killing the first 25 - 30 seconds at least of the PP.
The actual stat would be 6 times out of 10 the Leafs lose a PP faceoff when Bozak is off the ice, and 5 times out of 10 when he is on the ice.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:20 PM
  #36
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,698
vCash: 500
He makes space for Kessel, and picks up the defensive slack.

dear God.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
  #37
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Theres literally no statistics that can assure that Bozak is a #1C, and if miraculously he is, he's the worst #1C in the NHL.

Demote him to the #2C, 4 years of torment with him as our #1C is enough already.
TOI is a stat says he is 1C. You can make stats say anything you want. But other stats say he is not a good 1C (excluding shootouts, PK, and faceoffs) but yes sadly he is a 1C for the leafs.


And at least people are consistent. Those that say Phaneuf is not a 1D are the same that say Bozak is not a 1C. 50% is correct (regarding bozie not being a 1C)

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:55 PM
  #38
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Bozak is the centre on the #1 line, but is not a "#1 centre".

Whatever.

Kadri is this team's #1 centre, is already producing like one, and is only getting better.

The Leafs are very deep at wing, pretty deep in goal, and decently deep at defense. They'll be fine.

The fact is that Bozak is on track to be one of the best NCAA FA signings ever.

Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, Hank Sedin, Olli Jokinen, Paul Stastny and Derek Roy are UFA centres next year.

Thinking about what prevented the Leafs from going past the first round, I don't think having a Crosby, Malkin or B Richards was it. I'd say having a little more toughness, grit, playoff experience and a better checking line centre than Grabovski probably were.
Winning a few more faceoffs in the third period might have got us out of the 1st round.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #39
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Bozie... What a steal at 4.2. Continue helping Kessel produce 40 goals a year.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:10 AM
  #40
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,299
vCash: 500
I love Bozak. He's a very useful player in any role. Perhaps not your typical 1C but still a good player.

I think he's got more offense to give as well. Time will tell.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:12 AM
  #41
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
um i dont think we have any 1c guys in the system thats currently developing in the marlies/elseware. Brown projects to be a 2c one day so that should b good too
We don't really need a #1C, but need to minimize our GA. If Gomez-Madden was sufficient on the Devils, or if McDonald didn't stick out on the top line in Anaheim, I'm sure it's quite doable.

Kadri is probably going to develop into a Ribeiro-type of centre. Someone who can produce at near PPG rate, but will have to be insulate by stronger guys. Sure, Ribs isn't the Staal-esque #1C, but he's a first liner, nonetheless.

Gauthier looks like a top six forward. He may develop into big, more physical version of Bergeron. I'm not sure if his offensive upside is similar ( Berg is a top liner in that regard), but that kind of centre is very compatible with Kessel who needs someone who can create space. Phil is an elite playmaker (unlike Stastny and Weiss) and a centre version of him is better off on a separate line.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:13 AM
  #42
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
TOI is a stat says he is 1C. You can make stats say anything you want. But other stats say he is not a good 1C (excluding shootouts, PK, and faceoffs) but yes sadly he is a 1C for the leafs.


And at least people are consistent. Those that say Phaneuf is not a 1D are the same that say Bozak is not a 1C. 50% is correct (regarding bozie not being a 1C)
Stats say he's not a 1c but is definitely in the top line forward category.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:25 AM
  #43
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
We don't really need a #1C, but need to minimize our GA. If Gomez-Madden was sufficient on the Devils, or if McDonald didn't stick out on the top line in Anaheim, I'm sure it's quite doable.

Kadri is probably going to develop into a Ribeiro-type of centre. Someone who can produce at near PPG rate, but will have to be insulate by stronger guys. Sure, Ribs isn't the Staal-esque #1C, but he's a first liner, nonetheless.

Gauthier looks like a top six forward. He may develop into big, more physical version of Bergeron. I'm not sure if his offensive upside is similar ( Berg is a top liner in that regard), but that kind of centre is very compatible with Kessel who needs someone who can create space. Phil is an elite playmaker (unlike Stastny and Weiss) and a centre version of him is better off on a separate line.
Hate the Kadri Ribero comparison.

One player plays physical, one is a diver who play a soft game.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:41 AM
  #44
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Hate the Kadri Ribero comparison.

One player plays physical, one is a diver who play a soft game.
Agreed. Kadri is closer to Giroux than he is to Ribeiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMagi View Post
Uploaded on 7 Jul 2010
Tyler Bozak Tribute
Ah, sweet memories of when Bozak was playing over his head and got us all excited. What a letdown since then.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
  #45
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Winning a few more faceoffs in the third period might have got us out of the 1st round.
He's 52.5% at Faceoffs, he isn't a godly faceoff mastermind, that's Patrice Bergeron. Once Bozak starts getting up to the 60% faceoff mark like Patrice, then we can start praising him,till then he's nothing special.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:50 AM
  #46
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
people always *****, #3 center this and that

Bozak has been playing #1 line center for some time now
which means
he is a 1ST LINE CENTER

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:51 AM
  #47
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Agreed. Kadri is closer to Giroux than he is to Ribeiro.



Ah, sweet memories of when Bozak was playing over his head and got us all excited. What a letdown since then.
Exactly. Ever since his highlight reel first goal, everything went downhill. God damn Burke, teasing us with his 'He's going to be a top 6 forward' nonsense, borderline #2C, good #3C.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:08 AM
  #48
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Hate the Kadri Ribero comparison.

One player plays physical, one is a diver who play a soft game.
Kadri does have that physical side, but I don't he'd last long playing that kind of game. He's going to be surrounded by guys like Ashton, Biggs, Leivo in the future, and - unlike Ribeiro ( who was poorly utilized) - will thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Agreed. Kadri is closer to Giroux than he is to Ribeiro.
Giroux is the type of guy who can take on top lines. He spent a lot of time against Crosby and Nash, and he produces as well. I do see similarities, but Kadri is going to have to enhance his defence drastically. If he reaches that level, we'd probably be moving Bolland like Chicago.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:32 AM
  #49
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Kadri does have that physical side, but I don't he'd last long playing that kind of game. He's going to be surrounded by guys like Ashton, Biggs, Leivo in the future, and - unlike Ribeiro ( who was poorly utilized) - will thrive.

Giroux is the type of guy who can take on top lines. He spent a lot of time against Crosby and Nash, and he produces as well. I do see similarities, but Kadri is going to have to enhance his defence drastically. If he reaches that level, we'd probably be moving Bolland like Chicago.
I agree Kadri's got work to do defensively, but he's definitely improved leaps and bounds in that areas. Eakins was great with him and Carlyle has also handled him really well.

He's got a level of intensity that Ribeiro never had, how he uses it will determine how good he can really be.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:33 AM
  #50
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Honestly I'm happy with Bozak signing. I think its a reasonable cap hit.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.