HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank?

View Poll Results: Which Jets prospect will we be talking about the most next year?
Eric O'Dell 11 11.83%
Connor Hellebuyck 6 6.45%
Eric Comrie 7 7.53%
Ivan Telegin 7 7.53%
Nic Petan 19 20.43%
Austen Brassard 0 0%
Andrew Copp 2 2.15%
Carl Klingberg 1 1.08%
Scott Kosmachuk 4 4.30%
JC Lipton 5 5.38%
Jimmy Lodge 28 30.11%
Julian Melchoriori 0 0%
Ryan Olsen 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
EastRiver

vCash: 500
Comrie.

EastRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 50
Coin flip between Copp and Lodge for me, went with Copp.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
puck stoppa

I went with Telegin. I think he will surprise some people this year on the rock. And if he doesn't then he should bolt to the KHL

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:27 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I went with Telegin. I think he will surprise some people this year on the rock. And if he doesn't then he should bolt to the KHL
Telegin? I thought he was already voted in?

Edit: NVM - I'm thinking of a different thread. Darned prospect threads are popping up like prairie dogs.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
If Scheifele plays on the Rock, they might be an obvious pairing to put back together. And if they both suck, it's off to the KHL!

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:52 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
If Scheifele plays on the Rock, they might be an obvious pairing to put back together. And if they both suck, it's off to the KHL!
Everyone to the KHL!!!

LOL at idea of Lukas Sutter at KHL hehe

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
heilongjetsfan

I think I clicked O'Dell for some reason. I meant to click Lowry but apparently he and Scheif aren't on the list of prospects?

Also, this might be the worst poll ever. My apologies to the OP if it seems rude, I don't mean to be. The title of the poll and the poll question are 2 questions that don't mean the same thing at all, so which one should I answer?

And about Scheif, Trouba, Lowry... we armchair GM's and unpaid columnists may have already decided that they're on the big team next year, but any of us who aren't IN the Jets' organization are only guessing that. Lowry especially may have an uphill battle to find a spot with Wheeler, Gooch and Frolik taking up the right side.

If Lowry were to make the club playing out of position or push Frolik down to 4th, wouldn't that be the story of the year?

If Scheifele can work his way up to the 2C position full-time by the playoffs, wouldn't that be something to remember?

but that's only answering one question! who's stock will go up the most? as in who will climb the most points on the prospect ladder?

I'd say Nic Petan. He could be our #1 center in 4-5 years. I don't think we have anyone else in the system with his sheer skill. Size doesn't always matter, and being small can be an advantage for a player who's as smooth and agile on his skates is Petan is.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:15 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
The idea is based on prospect rankings.

How high can Mark jump, he's ranked second...
Jacob can't jump in ranking, he's our highest ranked prospect.
I don't think the OP is stupid, I believe you misunderstood what the poll was.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

I have really enjoyed the discussion here. Interesting to see who people think will have a breakout year.

Still leaning towards Lodge and Copp. if they hit on their potential we could be talking about a top 6 centre and middle six centre. That would be lovely value for 3rd round picks. Teams that find legit top 6 players there tend to be pretty good.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:20 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Am I the only one that thought the thread title was, "Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in the rink?"

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I have really enjoyed the discussion here. Interesting to see who people think will have a breakout year.

Still leaning towards Lodge and Copp. if they hit on their potential we could be talking about a top 6 centre and middle six centre. That would be lovely value for 3rd round picks. Teams that find legit top 6 players there tend to be pretty good.
Lodge may still find himself playing RW (where he scored most of his points last year). While also losing the guys who forechecked for him. If he can bulk up and gain that forechecking mentality he can for sure take a serious rise in the rankings. I for one am hoping the coaching staff can help put it in him as Locke was one of his forechecking linemates who really showed that ability following the trade to Saginaw.

I just don't see him putting up a boost in points this year. I think we'll see him flatline and then make a very big jump the year after.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Voted for Lodge. He's going to definitely need to add some mass to his frame and the coaches need to work on rounding him out as a consistent player, but he does have the tool to make this selection look like a very bright one.

Petan is what he is which is one of the most skilled guys in the organization. He will always be near the top of the prospect list if he continues to improve at the next level. Do not expect him to make an immense climb up the JETS prospect ranks.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Petan is getting lots of votes, but how much is he gonna climb (already 6th) and what will he have to do to get there? I mean he already led the WHL in scoring. Shy of growing 3 inches taller I am not really sure what he can do to raise his stock.
Petan is most likely to dissapoint IMO, not that i don't think he'll turn out to be a great player ( i really think he will) it's just

A) he can't move to the A right now
B)he put up amazing production, highly unlikely he would ever build off it
C) he did it with great teammates that are leaving, further decreasing the liklihood of it happening

he essentially "tapped out" the WHL this year, and due to the transfer rules, he's not allowed to go to the A so I HIGHLY doubt he further increases his stock, as I don't think its possible for him to really show significant statistical growth.

that being said i do still think he has the highest potential of all our prospects besides our first rounders.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:30 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Petan is most likely to dissapoint IMO, not that i don't think he'll turn out to be a great player ( i really think he will) it's just

A) he can't move to the A right now
B)he put up amazing production, highly unlikely he would ever build off it
C) he did it with great teammates that are leaving, further decreasing the liklihood of it happening

he essentially "tapped out" the WHL this year, and due to the transfer rules, he's not allowed to go to the A so I HIGHLY doubt he further increases his stock, as I don't think its possible for him to really show significant statistical growth.

that being said i do still think he has the highest potential of all our prospects besides our first rounders.
He's being left behind by his line mates, but now he'll be the go-to pivot of that line. It wasn't like he was leeching any points from his two mates, either.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
He's being left behind by his line mates, but now he'll be the go-to pivot of that line. It wasn't like he was leeching any points from his two mates, either.
Yeah, he's going to have to do more himself now, which will be nice improvement for people who watch him.

I think his concern was, even if Petan "only" puts up 110 points people may jump to conclusions that he hasn't progressed, even though he might have, because he is doing more himself.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Aren't 5 of their top 6 forwards likely to be back? Rattie will be a big loss, but they still have gobs of talent.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Lodge may still find himself playing RW (where he scored most of his points last year). While also losing the guys who forechecked for him. If he can bulk up and gain that forechecking mentality he can for sure take a serious rise in the rankings. I for one am hoping the coaching staff can help put it in him as Locke was one of his forechecking linemates who really showed that ability following the trade to Saginaw.

I just don't see him putting up a boost in points this year. I think we'll see him flatline and then make a very big jump the year after.
Yeah. I don't anticipate him hitting his late season pace, but if he did he could find himself shooting up overall prospect lists, let alone Jets.

I am just hoping we see a little improvement in the numbers to go with the increased role / responsibilities. We will see.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
heilongjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
The idea is based on prospect rankings.

How high can Mark jump, he's ranked second...
Jacob can't jump in ranking, he's our highest ranked prospect.
I don't think the OP is stupid, I believe you misunderstood what the poll was.
Seems like misunderstanding is contagious.

Nobody called anybody stupid. People can disagree without calling each other names, right?

My point is that the author asked 2 different questions with the titles of the thread and the poll, and that it would be nice if it was more consistent. This would ensure that the majority of us are discussing the same topic.

You see, you yourself have addressed the thread title "Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank," when you point out that there's no room for Scheif and Trouba to move up.

However, you also said I misunderstood the poll question which was actually "Which Jets prospect will we be talking about the most next year?" If Scheif or Trouba fail to make the team or - even worse - go to the AHL and bomb (I sincerely believe that won't happen) wouldn't that be worthy of conversation?.

It seems like a comparison between perceived quality and popularity. Let's pretend I say that Mercedes makes the best cars and you say more people buy Hondas. We're not on the same topic, so we're not likely to have a very productive conversation, I think.

Or maybe I'm just being picky.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:49 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan View Post
Seems like misunderstanding is contagious.

Nobody called anybody stupid. People can disagree without calling each other names, right?

My point is that the author asked 2 different questions with the titles of the thread and the poll, and that it would be nice if it was more consistent. This would ensure that the majority of us are discussing the same topic.

You see, you yourself have addressed the thread title "Which Jets prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank," when you point out that there's no room for Scheif and Trouba to move up.

However, you also said I misunderstood the poll question which was actually "Which Jets prospect will we be talking about the most next year?" If Scheif or Trouba fail to make the team or - even worse - go to the AHL and bomb (I sincerely believe that won't happen) wouldn't that be worthy of conversation?.

It seems like a comparison between perceived quality and popularity. Let's pretend I say that Mercedes makes the best cars and you say more people buy Hondas. We're not on the same topic, so we're not likely to have a very productive conversation, I think.

Or maybe I'm just being picky.
There was no name calling at all. You referred to the OP (I'm using OP for Original Post) as the worst poll ever, I merely said I didn't the original post is stupid.

Also I don't see where the confusion is coming from.
The title asks which prospect is most likely to shoot up in rank. The OP later asks who will the fans be "raving" about. If Trouba of Scheifele bomb I highly doubt they'll be raved about.

I think we may be going in circles however, but I just wanted to clear up that I didn't intend to call anyone a name or degrade anyone.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Yeah, he's going to have to do more himself now, which will be nice improvement for people who watch him.

I think his concern was, even if Petan "only" puts up 110 points people may jump to conclusions that he hasn't progressed, even though he might have, because he is doing more himself.
Yes this is what i meant, hence the the bolding of "statistical" improvement. He's set the bar at a very high levle, it will be hard for him to top it. obviously if he does, and we know he's carrying more of the load then that amounts to growth. My concern was that even if he puts up say "only" 95-100 points but does it more "on his own" that should be seen as improvement, but some might not take the time to recogonize that.

that was my main concern.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan View Post
I think I clicked O'Dell for some reason. I meant to click Lowry but apparently he and Scheif aren't on the list of prospects?

Also, this might be the worst poll ever. My apologies to the OP if it seems rude, I don't mean to be. The title of the poll and the poll question are 2 questions that don't mean the same thing at all, so which one should I answer?

And about Scheif, Trouba, Lowry... we armchair GM's and unpaid columnists may have already decided that they're on the big team next year, but any of us who aren't IN the Jets' organization are only guessing that. Lowry especially may have an uphill battle to find a spot with Wheeler, Gooch and Frolik taking up the right side.

If Lowry were to make the club playing out of position or push Frolik down to 4th, wouldn't that be the story of the year?

If Scheifele can work his way up to the 2C position full-time by the playoffs, wouldn't that be something to remember?

but that's only answering one question! who's stock will go up the most? as in who will climb the most points on the prospect ladder?

I'd say Nic Petan. He could be our #1 center in 4-5 years. I don't think we have anyone else in the system with his sheer skill. Size doesn't always matter, and being small can be an advantage for a player who's as smooth and agile on his skates is Petan is.
This poll and thread has sparked some tremendous conversation about our prospects, so I guess I cant agree with you about it being terrible.

Worded a little incoherently I guess between making the thread and the poll question but most people got the gist of what I asked: who will rise their stock the most in a year time like Lowry did last season. Mark is already our top prospect sure, but, if he breaks out and becomes a #1 NHL centre next year with 30 goals or 80+ points then he will win this poll. Each player can win in different ways.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote