HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
I like Brown and he proved he's got some scoring ability in the AHL, and he didn't look overwhelmed in his mini call up, so I'd expect him to be our starting 4th line RW.

Last edited by ctwin22: 07-16-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
DirtDogMesa
STH Sec 208 Row A

I'd like to see Gilbert Brule get another shot here too, he showed a lot of heart and hustle in his short time here. Kind of Raffi-Lite on the ice. Looks like his is still practicing up in Vancouver with some Giants and isn't under contract.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
I think there has to be more to the story with Brule. He looked very good in his time here. If we signed him, he had good chemistry with Penner...

Old
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Chip is a good enough fighter for me - not sure how'd he do against Raffi, but he should more than hold his own against Carcillo. If we need to watch out for a heavyweight Tippett will have no qualms sending Biz out on the ice.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

I'd actually be glad to see Brown on the 4th line. More so than Biz, obviously. Brings that offensive ingredient and is pretty physical.

A bottom 6 of Korpi-Vermette-Moss and then Klinkhammer-Chip-Brown is good to me.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I think Chip is a better fighter than them both, Chip usually puts a good beating in everyone he fights. That said, he doesn't fight as often as they do.

I still don't think Biz gets the credit he deserves around here. He may not beat the **** out of the people he fights, or be the most intimidating player, but he still drops the gloves for us and gets us hyped up. That's what enforcers are supposed to do.
I'd be fine with him if he just agreed to fight whoever. It's his insistence on ONLY participating in staged fights with other enforcers that drives me nuts. He's actually a really SMALL enforcer and really ought not have an issue fighting pests if need be. He won't do it, though. He only goes for the staged stuff.

07-16-2013, 06:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I'd say Brown's chances of making the roster have improved. Terrible fighter, but a fighter nonetheless.
If he fights Dan Carcillo, it will be the end of his hockey career. The kid leads with his head like a 4th grader. Eyes closed, head forward, and just swinging away. He's going to get punched into a coma.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
I think there has to be more to the story with Brule. He looked very good in his time here. If we signed him, he had good chemistry with Penner...
I think it was just a size thing. We got physically run over by the Kings in the WCFs, and Maloney made some public comments about it. That summer he signed a lot of very large men like Moss, Klinkhammer, Johnson and Rechlisz. It seems he wanted to copy the Kings approach of having very large bottom six wingers like King, Nolan, Clifford, etc.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:19 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Teams have won cups based off of bottom 6 play, like Anaheim, Carolina, and Boston. But I never felt like LA's was the key to their run. Annoying to play against, but not lethal. I really think the 4th line with Chips and the Col. can become a scoring line with the right winger. Nothing would disturb the opposition more than throwing those puck seeking missiles out on fully charged batteries. Imagine battering up against the Tippett designed neutral zone defensive wall over and over again, only to come up against a zealous checking line that can score if you don't take them seriously at the next faceoff.

Having Biz and Gordon, combined with the lack of a #1 really messed up the matchups and how lines were played. Rarely was the 4th thrown out there as a complete unit. Rarely would the 3rd start with the right linemates. Vermette was always floating around different lines. Hopefully that all stops now with clear roles and more depth.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I agree. That's just the thinking I remember from DM and co. You are probably right, though. The make up of our top nine probably will have a significant impact on the way they design our bottom three.

I personally like the idea of Brown there best. I can see where others are coming from, though, that would prefer a more defensively respisible player that can take RH draws if need be. A guy LIKE makes some sense, in that regard. Even if it isn't actually Brule.

It's nice to worry about 4RW instead of 1C, isn't it? Haha. What a change!

Old
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I think Chip is a better fighter than them both, Chip usually puts a good beating in everyone he fights. That said, he doesn't fight as often as they do.

I still don't think Biz gets the credit he deserves around here. He may not beat the **** out of the people he fights, or be the most intimidating player, but he still drops the gloves for us and gets us hyped up. That's what enforcers are supposed to do.
Chip would not do well in a fight with RT or DC. Those two know how to throw em.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Although we were dominated by the Kings physically in the WCF, I want to say that outside of Penner and maybe King, their bottom 6, though a nuisance, wasn't a big factor in that series (much less in their entire Cup run). Their Top 6 + blueline + Quick in beast mode keyed their run to the Grail.

In the meanwhile, we've definitely gotten bigger ourselves in our bottom 6. Gordon, old man Langkow and Brule are gone and now we have Moss, Chipchura, and Klinkhammer to go along with Doan and Hanzal, with Brown waiting in the wings. I like Doan, Hanzal, Chip, Klink, and Moss's chances against Brown, Kopitar, King, Clifford, and Nolan. Throw in a move like Klesla for Malone and physicality should be the least of our concerns when it comes to matchups the next time.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDogMesa View Post
I'd like to see Gilbert Brule get another shot here too, he showed a lot of heart and hustle in his short time here. Kind of Raffi-Lite on the ice. Looks like his is still practicing up in Vancouver with some Giants and isn't under contract.
Ya. Badly handled by Columbus who drafted him after he'd won the Memorial Cup in Jr with the Vancouver Giants. Got injured in his first year there & early, literally snapped femur, then when he returned, nasty ankle sprain, hyper-competitive division, lost his confidence, up & down, inconsistent. After he left you guys last year, signed with a team in Switzerland but got released 14 games in with just 6 assists. He's an UFA, wants to play, is indeed working out so who knows: possible he could sign with the Yotes or Canucks, Oilers or wherever on a 2 way Contract. Certainly worth a shot. At worst a top line AHL player, at best, just might turn it around at the NHL level. Guys showed a lot of talent, grit at various times.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Brule was scoring a really nice pace with the Coyotes and was no softer than Korpikoski. Tenacious is the word there. No idea how'd he would play coming back from overseas, but he is easily worth a camp invite.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya. Badly handled by Columbus who drafted him after he'd won the Memorial Cup in Jr with the Vancouver Giants. Got injured in his first year there & early, literally snapped femur, then when he returned, nasty ankle sprain, hyper-competitive division, lost his confidence, up & down, inconsistent. After he left you guys last year, signed with a team in Switzerland but got released 14 games in with just 6 assists. He's an UFA, wants to play, is indeed working out so who knows: possible he could sign with the Yotes or Canucks, Oilers or wherever on a 2 way Contract. Certainly worth a shot. At worst a top line AHL player, at best, just might turn it around at the NHL level. Guys showed a lot of talent, grit at various times.
It was the lock-out that cost him his job in the Swiss league. All of a sudden there was a huge influx of better quality imports to use your import spots on. I don't think it was a coincidence that Dustin Brown signed with the Lions a couple of weeks after they released Brule.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Brule was scoring a really nice pace with the Coyotes and was no softer than Korpikoski. Tenacious is the word there. No idea how'd he would play coming back from overseas, but he is easily worth a camp invite.
If he'll take a two-way, why not? I don't think there's an NHL team willing to give him a one-way, so if he's going to give it one last go, it might as well be here. Even if he decides to retire if sent down, it's no lose.

EDIT: Here's an article from a year and a half ago on Brule in Phoenix. It's pretty interesting. Positive comments from Tippett and positive comments from Brule about the team and market.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/arti...ry-change.html

Old
07-16-2013, 08:03 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
It is now confirmed that Carcillo is traded to LA; the Kings Fans are pissed off about this trade but not as much as the Sharks Fans were with the trade for Torres.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Brule has that skill/grit combo that enables him to not look too out of place in either the top 6 or the bottom 6 regardless of his size. Would be a great depth signing at this point just to have a RH faceoff guy alone. He's already familiar with our system and can certainly inject a skill element to an energy line with Klink and Chip while being as equally rambunctious as they are on the forecheck.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:32 PM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

So you just need to hope that whenever there's a fight it escalates into a full out brawl, Smitty gets involved, and it's over. Voila.

Old
07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
This week old article from Vancouver about former Coyote Cliff Ronning's son confirms that Brule is working hard each day on and off the ice.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...653/story.html

Old
07-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
This week old article from Vancouver about former Coyote Cliff Ronning's son confirms that Brule is working hard each day on and off the ice.
Ya as you can imagine the papers, radio & TV up here are all pretty much wall-wall hockey. Information over-load. So I heard about Brule', remembered thinking he was a good fit when playing for Phoenix then read the post above.... back in the summer of 2011, he was driving along in West Vancouver & picked up a couple of hitch hikers. Turned out to be Bono of U2 & some Roadie Dude, car had broken down. Long story short, Bono sent Gilbert 4 tickets to a concert the following night in Edmonton, which Brule & his girlfriend etc attended.... yes, they even report stuff like that about a one time Vancouver Giant who grew up in this city and in Edmonton. Cliff Ronning another Favourite son, his parents owning an antique shop in town, and now it appears another generation to follow. Cliff as you'll recall a tremendous little player in his prime.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:14 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

It's nice to worry about 4RW instead of 1C, isn't it? Haha. What a change!
Give it a month or two, after Doan contaminates Ribeiro with his patented slow start and we'll all be hollering for a 1C soon enough.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Give it a month or two, after Doan contaminates Ribeiro with his patented slow start and we'll all be hollering for a 1C soon enough.
Ribeiro's 33, been around The Track a bit, well formed so I doubt he'll picking up any Cooties from Shane Doans' lethargic starts. In fact, could be a heck of a good signing, re-united with Tippett, Ribeiro there quite capable of becoming a Human Highlight Reel from Centre to the crease. Would be great if he could find his form again. You guys could use some firepower. Im likin that signing. No movement clause in it to boot.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ribeiro hasn't got to find his mojo, he's just got to hang onto it. He was a point per game last season.

And yessir, he's just what the doctor ordered.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

More on Vrbata lobbying for Hejduk: http://milehighsports.com/2013/07/16...oward-coyotes/

Closed Thread