HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #17 - Timmy Cahill Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2013, 06:30 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

vCash: 500
Anyone that is born and raised in another country and moves here can root for their homeland. I don't really care.

But when you've never stepped foot inside the country you "support" it is a total sham and I will call everyone out on it that I see.

It's embarrassing (for them). Most of these fools only follow the sport every 4 years (though now some of them are starting to realize there is a tournament called 'Euro' so it's every 2 years) and it's so funny to me it is aggravating and embarrassing.

Knowing njdevil26, at least he is aware of when Italy is playing games that isn't Euro/WC/WCQ/ConfedCup

Old
08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Thanks Mike. Anyone can have their opinion on who I should support... but the reason this topic bothers me is because I don't want to be lumped in with the people who are American and have 2/5ths Italian heritage and just feel like supporting Italy just because.

ANYWAY. Yesterday I had the privilege of being at Metlife stadium to watch Valencia vs Inter Milan and Chelsea vs AC Milan. If there was a Red Bulls game tonight... I wouldn't even want to go. That is how much better the quality of European club football is compared to MLS. Inter looks HORRIBLE. They got beat down 4-0 by a so-so Valencia club. In the past few years, Inter have lost a bunch of good players and have no replaced them. I was very disappointed in them yesterday. Chelsea v AC Milan was a great match. The depth and talent on Chelsea is ridiculous. Eden Hazard is going to be a superstar. Say what you want about Fernando Torres... the guy works his butt off and almost scored beating 5 Milan players on his own. Watching him live is a treat. Lukaku is also a beast. The game was 1-0 at half. If AC Milan kept Balotelli, Montolivo, El Shaarawy, and Boateng on in the second half, they probably would have tied it up... they had a ton of chances. But, being the pre-season, the subbed off almost every player.

Old
08-05-2013, 09:51 AM
DiscoBall

Sudeikis is the best. Love that he's ripping on both sides of the atlantic.

Cmon Tot'Num!

Old
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
BenedictGomez
Hynes = Skeletor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
My larger beef comes from the Central American people that come to America because their homeland is a dump and actively root against America anyway. A prime example is the El Salvador Gold Cup game where people were throwing food at Donovan.
That gets me more than just a little annoyed, it makes my blood boil. And it's more than just soccer. Some of these people have absolute contempt for this nation, but as you said, they live here and take advantage of what fruits we have because of what little they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I don't know why I feel the need to comment every time this ridiculous topic comes up on Americans supporting other international squads... but I've heard some real heavy hate (from people on here as well) towards these people and I refuse to be bunched in with them.
Just so you know, when I used "Italy" in that prior example, I certainly wasnt directing it at you, I just picked that country out of a hat. I could have just as easily said, "France" or "Mexico" or "Spain".

Quote:
The US national team has been a joke. Lately they are playing better than I can ever remember... but it is such a long way off it's not even funny.
Is that really true or is it more a function that they havent played anyone? They've won something like 11 in a row IIRC, which is awesome, but other than Germany have they played a really good team in their last 15 or so games?

Old
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

Lmao at you calling the USMNT a joke and dissing MLS. 80% of the nations in the world wish that they had a national team and domestic league as good as the USMNT and MLS

Old
08-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

And there are something like 51 first division leagues in Europe and you can comfortably say that all of 5-8 (lets say 7) are better than MLS. Lets not go so far as to say "European Club Football" is so much better than MLS in quality when most of it isn't.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Is that really true or is it more a function that they havent played anyone? They've won something like 11 in a row IIRC, which is awesome, but other than Germany have they played a really good team in their last 15 or so games?

Watching the games, the answer to that question is quite apparent.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
DiscoBall

I don't mind people supporting other national teams.

But:

If you were born here and are a football fan, not supporting the US is crap. The national team (and the sport in general) needs grassroots support. Making the USMNT culturally relevant is the only way to start directing our elite athletes towards the sport.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Watch out, EPL, Newcastle has actually signed someone.

Old
08-05-2013, 09:36 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Remy! Good signing!

Old
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

MLS made Dempsey waivers exempt and paid the transfer fee for Seattle. Portland mad

Old
08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Watch out, EPL, Newcastle has actually signed someone.
We have yet to sign anyone who will actually help our team this season. Just a youngster wing-back from Uruguay here.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
We have yet to sign anyone who will actually help our team this season. Just a youngster wing-back from Uruguay here.
Yeah but Newcastle went from signing no one to signing Remy. MUFC can go from signing no one to signing Marchisio or Ronaldo haha.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Yeah but Newcastle went from signing no one to signing Remy. MUFC can go from signing no one to signing Marchisio or Ronaldo haha.
See the thing is we have come soo close to signing people, that I just dont know. (None of them have happened) We have a very good sqaud, however the teams around us have improved, soo I would like to strengthen the squad a little. (Atleast in midfield)

Transfer can happen very quickly and Moyes said he would like to get something done before the Community Shield and if not before then he wants to do it before the Start of the PL season.

However to be fair, Zaha is technically a new signing even though he was signed in January

Old
08-06-2013, 03:05 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

As long as Manchester United dont lose anyone, they are a lock for Top 3.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff 2m
Moyes: "We'll sign some players before the end of the summer. But these are the champions of England. I look forward to a season with them."

Thats promising

Old
08-07-2013, 07:30 AM
New Jersey
Legend

I can has top-four finish? Stay tuned.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
I don't know why I feel the need to comment every time this ridiculous topic comes up on Americans supporting other international squads... but I've heard some real heavy hate (from people on here as well) towards these people and I refuse to be bunched in with them.

I support Italy. I was born and raised in New Jersey. My parents are also born and raised Americans. I have first, second, third, fourth, and fifth cousins that are born and raised Italians and still live there. They have taken turns visiting here every year since I was born (I'll be 26 in 11 days). Since I can remember, they were bringing me Italian soccer shirts and souvenirs for me to have and start a collection.

I defend my right to cheer for the Italian National Team. When they aren't involved, I cheer heavily for the USA because it is the country that I was born and raised in. But let me say this. Soccer is a sport. Just like hockey is a sport, basketball, baseball... whatever. Just because I root for Italy doesn't mean I hate the US or that I'm no patriot. The US national team has been a joke. Lately they are playing better than I can ever remember... but it is such a long way off it's not even funny. But if the USA ever rises and wins the world cup and Italy doesn't even qualify... I'll still root for Italy. Soccer is behind Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and Nascar in this country. Hell I would bet that celebrity poker tournaments would get better tv ratings than NBCSN broadcasting FC Dallas vs Real Salt Lake.

I won't ramble any longer.... Point is.. I've been called an a-hole... told to go f myself, been told to leave America even.... just because of the national soccer team I support. My family has been basically grooming me for 26 years to support the Italian national team because it is such a huge part of my family and the culture... and if after reading that, you can still shoot off your thick headed insults and childish crap... well then you can sit on it.
You call the USMNT a joke because you happen to root for Italy. You may be unaware, but the large majority of the planet doesn't get to root for a team that has the talent that the United States has, much less Italy.

As for you rooting for Italy, I don't care. Just don't root for the US when it's good. You don't wanna stick with us for the "bad times" don't be around for the good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Why do people care about what national team other people root for.
I tend to only have a problem with it at Mexico games

Old
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManNJD View Post
I can has top-four finish? Stay tuned.
Spoiler alert: no

Old
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Is anyone here going to USA/Mex in Columbus? I am.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:47 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

I'm probably going if I'm still partially unemployed

I am going to Mexico/Ivory Coat at Metlife a week from today but I'll be working it. Hooray me

Old
08-07-2013, 12:48 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Spoiler alert: no
Now Skeeter he ain't hurtin no one

Old
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

I wish I could go to the Mexico qualifier but its sandwiched between two hockey practices for me on Mon and Wed. I don't really want to travel that much early in the season. Plus, missing class is always a *****

Old
08-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Dudes on the Bruins board started up an HF Premier League Fantasy League

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
Code - 1063705-266483

Old
08-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Devils Trap