HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #17 - Timmy Cahill Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Brazil gets a brutal 2nd round matchup though.
Truth:

You're a forward thinker sir. I didn't think that far ahead. Just a homer raging a little.

I blame all of this on Fifa's ridiculous decision to seed the top 8 teams instead of doing it the normal way. That's what screwed the US.

If we manage to get G2 we have a nice little matchup with the garbage of H1. And F1/E2 won't be that impressive, unless you think Argentina magically develops consistency in these things.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
It should be the Dutch and Spain out of B. I can't see anyone else putting up a big enough fight.

D is awful. But England folds in these things like a house of cards so you might see Uruguay and Italy out of that group.

I really do think ours has a good argument for group of death. F and H are a joke.

And boy does Brazil ever get a cake walk it doesn't need.

Ghana is in our group too. Pretty underrated and a good club. Our group might take the cake as the group of death the more I think about it. Frustrating.
I've seen the Chile NT play in person from the sidelines. They are a dangerous team that could very easily steal a bid in that group. As for group D, again 3 superb teams fighting for 2 spots and Costa Rica has enough talent up front to steal a point to make things worse.

And Ghana isn't a great team, Americans just have (understandable) frustration towards them

Old
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
I've seen the Chile NT play in person from the sidelines. They are a dangerous team that could very easily steal a bid in that group. As for group D, again 3 superb teams fighting for 2 spots and Costa Rica has enough talent up front to steal a point to make things worse.

And Ghana isn't a great team, Americans just have (understandable) frustration towards them
Guess you're right on Ghana.

Well Chile did beat England at Wembley. Sampaoli is a solid manager. Vidal and Sanchez are solid. I haven't watched them much but I have heard good things. Guess the name value isn't scaring me right now. I can't see them getting out of that group ahead of the Dutch though.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Just Win

vCash: 50
And the German media is already running with their Klinsi vs. Jogi stories.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Gonna be tough but it is possible . No stop believing

Old
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Just Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Gonna be tough but it is possible . No stop believing
We are the Germans. This is a soccer tournament. Resistance is futile.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
And the German media is already running with their Klinsi vs. Jogi stories.

One thing about Germany - they show up for these things. An absolute force. I fear them so much.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I don't see Germany and Portugal having too much trouble to be honest, sorry I'm a little disappointed that there's no stand out group of death. I guess our group (Italy) could be if England shows up but they've been terrible in international games recently so I wouldn't put money on that. In each group there's at most two teams that stand out as hands down favourites. I was hoping for something like Germany, Spain, and France or at least a group with 3 deadly teams.

Oh well, just creates greater competition in the knockout phase.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Just Win

Quote:

One thing about Germany - they show up for these things. An absolute force. I fear them so much.
Löw will find a way to screw this up. Probably something like Klose and Gomez are injured again, Kießling does not exist in the Löw universe so we won't take any strikers to Brazil, we will have 90% ball possession and score 0 goals.

And please no more Italy or Spain in this tournament. They are our kryptonite.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Truth:

You're a forward thinker sir. I didn't think that far ahead. Just a homer raging a little.

I blame all of this on Fifa's ridiculous decision to seed the top 8 teams instead of doing it the normal way. That's what screwed the US.

If we manage to get G2 we have a nice little matchup with the garbage of H1. And F1/E2 won't be that impressive, unless you think Argentina magically develops consistency in these things.
Argentina would pound the us into oblivion. But good luck with that thought.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Just Win

And don't underrate your team. Portugal has CR7 and a whole lot of nothing and Ghana also doesn't have more talent than your team. You have a very solid chance at making it to the next round.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Just Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Argentina would pound the us into oblivion. But good luck with that thought.
Argentina always has a great team on paper and somehow always finds a way to **** it up. They are the Netherlands of South America in that regard.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Löw will find a way to screw this up. Probably something like Klose and Gomez are injured again, Kießling does not exist in the Löw universe so we won't take any strikers to Brazil, we will have 90% ball possession and score 0 goals.

And please no more Italy or Spain in this tournament. They are our kryptonite.
Or he'll start Butts. Gomez and Podolski have to start playing better. Is Ballack still hurt?

Old
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Just Win

Quote:
Or he'll start Butts. Gomez and Podolski have to start playing better. Is Ballack still hurt?
Ballack? He retired like 2 years ago. And i don't see Podolski playing in the starting 11 with Reus and Schürrle in his way.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
CerebralGenesis

They ran the strangest style against germany last time and got smoked. They look much crisper this time through. Basing it on play lately instead of from 2010, they should be able to win a knockout round at least.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
And don't underrate your team. Portugal has CR7 and a whole lot of nothing and Ghana also doesn't have more talent than your team. You have a very solid chance at making it to the next round.
I don't call Nani, Helder Postiga, Bruno Alves, Fabio Coentrao, Joao Moutinho, and Raul Meireles a "whole lot of nothing"

German possible lineup:

GK: Manuel Neuer
D: Per Mertesacker, Philipp Lahm, Jarome Boeteng
MF: Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller, Lukas Podolski
F: Mario Gomez, Mario Gotze

That would scare the bejesus out of me.

The Italian lineup is most likely:

G: Gianluigi Buffon
D: Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci
MF: Claudio Marchisio, Ricardo Montolivo, Andrea Pirlo, Alberto Aquilani, Daniele DeRossi
F: Mario Balotelli, Giuseppe Rossi

I am a thousand times more confident in this squad compared to 2010.

Last edited by njdevil26: 12-06-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Ballack? He retired like 2 years ago. And i don't see Podolski playing in the starting 11 with Reus and Schürrle in his way.
Guess it was a poor joke. Thought Butt was a dead giveaway. Or you chose to forget all the 2010 woes already .

I think it will be fun to watch a Brazil/Germany match-up.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I don't call Nani, Helder Postiga, Bruno Alves, Fabio Coentrao, Joao Moutinho, and Raul Meireles a "whole lot of nothing"
Trying to make us feel better. I appreciate the effort but to watch a fan of the German NT refer to Portugal as having a whole lot of nothing shows the gap in talent between his team and ours .

Old
12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Trying to make us feel better. I appreciate the effort but to watch a fan of the German NT refer to Portugal as having a whole lot of nothing shows the gap in talent between his team and ours .
Yeah true. Even though I'm an Italian supporter.... Germany still scares the living crap out of me.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Just Win

Quote:
Nani has regressed a lot in the last 2 seasons, Postiga was never that good to begin with, Alves doesn't seem to care anymore since he signed that big contract in Russia, Coentrao barely gets any matches with Madrid, Meireles is just a backup for Fener these days. Like i said, a whole lot of nothing and if you have watched any Portugal matches lately it is really just CR7 that does everything for them.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Yeah true. Even though I'm an Italian supporter.... Germany still scares the living crap out of me.
I usually cheer for Brazil in these things anyway. Just love the style, always have. From Ronaldo to Ronaldinho to Robinho - heck even Alexandre Pato for a little while and of course Neymar. With Lucas and Oscar there and of course the regulars that group always plays the most exciting brand of Futbol for me.

Which is funny since my favorite club is AC Milan. I've seen a lot of Brazilian players stifled by the very disciplined, structured and restrictive Italian style. I guess you can argue Kaka was one of the few to transcend that in recent years. Just the stylistic difference between my favorite club and my favorite national team is something I always wonder about. Heck, it's Brazil I'm sure everyone loves to watch them play.

Quote:
Nani has regressed a lot in the last 2 seasons, Postiga was never that good to begin with, Alves doesn't seem to care anymore since he signed that big contract in Russia, Coentrao barely gets any matches with Madrid, Meireles is just a backup for Fener these days. Like i said, a whole lot of nothing and if you have watched any Portugal matches lately it is really just CR7 that does everything for them.
If Portugal has a whole lot of nothing we probably just have nothing.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Just Win

Quote:

German possible lineup:

GK: Manuel Neuer
D: Per Mertesacker, Philipp Lahm, Jarome Boeteng
MF: Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller, Lukas Podolski
F: Mario Gomez, Mario Gotze

That would scare the bejesus out of me.
Löw is stuck with his 4-2-3-1 system and is not willing to change it even if we have only one good fullback in Lahm. I also doubt Khedira will be in good shape/fit for this WC and we simply have too many good options (Gündogan, Kroos who is having a great season, both Benders) at his postion to start a player that is not a 100%.

I also doubt Podolski will play on the left side. Reus and Schürrle are simply better players but Löw is a Podolski guy so we will see.

Quote:
Guess it was a poor joke. Thought Butt was a dead giveaway. Or you chose to forget all the 2010 woes already .

I think it will be fun to watch a Brazil/Germany match-up.
How did i miss Butt?
I guess i can blame it one the couple of its finally weekend beers i had after work.

And i want no piece of Brazil. European teams always get their ass kicked in South America. Simply can't deal with the weather/climate there.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Always thought the Germans played a 4-3-3

Old
12-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Just Win

Quote:
If Portugal has a whole lot of nothing we probably just have nothing.
Unlike Portugal who just seem to hope that God and/or CR7 will win games for them, you guys play like an actual team. That can be worth a lot and often makes up for a lack of high end talent.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:44 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Löw is stuck with his 4-2-3-1 system and is not willing to change it even if we have only one good fullback in Lahm. I also doubt Khedira will be in good shape/fit for this WC and we simply have too many good options (Gündogan, Kroos who is having a great season, both Benders) at his postion to start a player that is not a 100%.

I also doubt Podolski will play on the left side. Reus and Schürrle are simply better players but Löw is a Podolski guy so we will see.
Good to know. I didn't know their recent formations just looked at he roster and were blown away by the midfield talent.

Schurrle has looked REALLY good. Crazy I forgot about him.

Closed Thread