HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How Much Respect do you have for Don Cherry (Grapes)??

View Poll Results: How Much Respect do you have for Don Cherry?
Love him! Grapes is the Hockey God, he is awesome! 27 10.76%
Alot, he's intelligent and a hockey mastermind. 17 6.77%
Fair amount, he usually brings up good points. 38 15.14%
Some, he has some good comments now and then. 67 26.69%
None, he speaks nonsense and his good days are behind him. 102 40.64%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

vCash: 500
How Much Respect do you have for Don Cherry (Grapes)??

How Much respect do you have for Don Cherry?

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Gwydyr
Allons-y Alonso

None. I can not bring myself to respect a man who propagates his excessive xenophobia to the masses, no matter how intriguing I find his fashion sense.

Gwydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Well I'm not sure how to vote exactly. The choices you've provided have mostly to do with hockey knowledge, insight, opinions in general. I don't always agree with Don in that respect. All that being said I love him as a tv personality and respect him in that regard. I always find him really fun to watch regardless of what he's spitting. Voted alot.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:42 AM
BIitz
RIP LL

Love Don, probably my favorite hockey personality. Isn't afraid to speak his mind and he knows his stuff.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:44 AM
dukeofjive

Dude knows alot about hockey, behing an older gentelman is vision on the world outside of hockey is very black and white

dukeofjive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:52 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Voted none (and I'm not sure he had best days behind him, because that would be implying he had best days to begin with), all he ever does is complain about:
1) Why the Leafs have no Ontario-born player as if he's going to be their be-all end-all saviour that leads them to 123456789asdfghjkl Stanley Cups.
2) Leafs being having too many American players, as if Americans are inferior in hockey (usually extended to hating on Brian Burke).
3) Why Hockey Canada/CHL are allowing foreign players to be developed in Canadian land, when in actuality, they're not the reason why Hockey Canada isn't winning Gold medals in consecutive years. Forgetting that maybe, just maybe the competition is getting better.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Less than none.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:56 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I don't really see a suitable answer for myself in there. He's kind of like your WWII veteran grandparent who occasional spouts some mildly racist comment. You gotta respect them for their younger days but they grew up in a different era and age & senility has left them a little out of touch with today.

I try not to be ageist because someday we'll be that grumpy old man yelling at kids to get off our damned lawn.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Some. He has some good points sometimes, and I respect his segments on the Canadian troops.

However, his constant Ontario/Canada talk gets annoying. He doesn't accept the fact that the league has changed, and Europeans can be successful in the NHL.

His selective memory is also pretty funny. I remember him telling everyone how Montreal would win game two because of the Ottawa Sun front cover and gloating about how he's always right. Then he tells us Montreal is going to win game four because of Paul MacLean's timeout. Montreal loses, and he decides to not bring it up

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:01 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Voted none (and I'm not sure he had best days behind him, because that would be implying he had best days to begin with), all he ever does is complain about:
1) Why the Leafs have no Ontario-born player as if he's going to be their be-all end-all saviour that leads them to 123456789asdfghjkl Stanley Cups.
2) Leafs being having too many American players, as if Americans are inferior in hockey (usually extended to hating on Brian Burke).
3) Why Hockey Canada/CHL are allowing foreign players to be developed in Canadian land, when in actuality, they're not the reason why Hockey Canada isn't winning Gold medals in consecutive years. Forgetting that maybe, just maybe the competition is getting better.
4) Outrageous comments towards Europeans; most notably Russians, throughout the 90's.
5) Outrageous comment towards women in the late 80's and early 90's.
6) Getting away with it.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:08 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Some. He has some good points sometimes, and I respect his segments on the Canadian troops.

However, his constant Ontario/Canada talk gets annoying. He doesn't accept the fact that the league has changed, and Europeans can be successful in the NHL.

His selective memory is also pretty funny. I remember him telling everyone how Montreal would win game two because of the Ottawa Sun front cover and gloating about how he's always right. Then he tells us Montreal is going to win game four because of Paul MacLean's timeout. Montreal loses, and he decides to not bring it up
And he's always quick to make us watch the tape when of a prediction that turned out right for him

But yeah the extreme Leafs/Eastern bias is why I don't care to watch him anymore, but he's been on the air a long time and that trend started about 15 years ago so and kept getting progressively worse.

I used to collect his rockem sockem hockey video's, would always get one at Christmas, but there was a clear point sometime near or at the end of the 90's where all of the sudden half the highlights in some segments (like big hits) were Leaf players. I kind of got turned off of them after that.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:15 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Some.

He is more about entertainment than hockey analysis at this point.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:17 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I am Swedish.

LiveeviL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Love Don, probably my favorite hockey personality. Isn't afraid to speak his mind and he knows his stuff.
Sure if you respect racism and discrimination, absolutely no respect for the guy, I pretty much avoid all segments involving him now.

He says too many unnecessary comments and makes general analysis any half decent analyst could do.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 AM
TieClark

Whether you like him or not, the man knows hockey. He sees the game in a different way and understands the little things that win hockey games. I can understand why some wouldn't like him, but to question his knowledge makes no sense in my mind. He calls countless things far ahead of time.

As for the xenophobic thing, he's just a stereotypical American. The difference is that kind of patriotism is rarely shown in Canada. He doesn't "hate" any group of people, he just likes his own country more than any other.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:39 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Sure if you respect racism and discrimination, absolutely no respect for the guy, I pretty much avoid all segments involving him now.

He says too many unnecessary comments and makes general analysis any half decent analyst could do.
Racism!?! When the hell was Don Cherry ever racist?

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
this. people sometimes lose this fact behind the larger than life personality and borderline xenophobia

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
As a hockey analyst none, as a TV personality however i love the guy especially his stance on women in the locker rooms.

The drinking games pretty solid too

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Xenophobic old fossil.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Trap Jesus

Not sure if I respect him per se, but I do like him. He's entertaining.

Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Sonny Lamateena

I respect the charity work he does, his crusades for players safety, his efforts for youth hockey and his support of the troops much more than anything he says on HNIC.

I see Don Cherry as a character and a brand, I'm sure some of what we see and hear is completely sincere but some is just what keeps him on tv. Whether he is appealing to ignorance, creating controversy, or actually talking hockey, he does what gets ratings, get's him booked for speaking engagements and sells dvd's.

He can be entertaining but he's not my first choice for in depth hockey analysis.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:49 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Voted Some. From time to time you see the former genius.

Usually though you can the babbling old fool.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I don't think don cherry is racist...the most racist thing he's done is pretty much campaign for the canadian development hockey league to develop canadian players instead of foreign ones

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Less than none if that's possible. Thrashing Barkov because the Panthers took him 2nd overall...was a very dumb thing to do. Cherry is an embarrassment to Canadians.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:40 PM
thom

A supporter of Canadian troops a man who went to Afaganistan 3 times to visit troops an icon of working class canadians

thom is offline   Reply With Quote