HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

How Basketball Overtook Hockey as the Most Popular Youth Sport in Canada

Old
07-13-2013, 01:09 AM
razor ray

vCash: 500
How Basketball Overtook Hockey as the Most Popular Youth Sport in Canada

"A 2010 study found that basketball is the most popular team participation sport in Canada among youth between the ages of 12 and 17. Additionally, 29 percent of all households in Canada have a household member who participates in basketball."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaje...ort-in-canada/

Anthony Bennett (Canada) went #1 in this years draft and Andrew Wiggens (Canada) is sure to go #1 in next years draft.

Canada Basketball is also 5-0 in the University games after cruising by Team USA today.

In 2016, its possible Team Canada has 5 NBA lottery picks starting in the Olympics.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:07 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
It's cheap, you can play with small numbers of people, and it's easy to play just about anywhere.

Soccer and basketball are popular worldwide due to those facts, and baseball and cricket have large appeals in portions of the world as well for those reasons (minus the smaller number part), too.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:39 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

What do they mean by "participates in basketball?" Does this mean play in organized leagues? Or does it also include pick-up games and playing ball at recess?

I'm sure if you combined ice hockey, street hockey, ball hockey, and roller hockey, basketball still lags behind.

Seems just like they're throwing numbers out there.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:51 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
It's cheap, you can play with small numbers of people, and it's easy to play just about anywhere.

Soccer and basketball are popular worldwide due to those facts, and baseball and cricket have large appeals in portions of the world as well for those reasons (minus the smaller number part), too.
Not to mention all those sports you listed are considered "safer" sports for children to play

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:00 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Obviously it's not thirty percent in organised leagues, but the point is that basketball players don't have to be in organised leagues to develop. The best ones are found and put in organises leagues, just like soccer in Europe and South America.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:30 AM
dukeofjive

Sounds about right, its easier to purchase a ball than a whole equipment and then pay a fee to play organized hockey. Dosent mean that basketball is more popular than hockey, just means more kids played at least once.

dukeofjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:59 AM
JoeCool16

Ehh, I threw around the ball when I was a kid every now and then, and I (along with every guy in my class) played on the school team in elementary school. I guess I counted towards the stat back then. Haven't really played since, aside from like once a year, and that's just to play HORSE or super casual with friends. I'm guessing they're not counting "plays road hockey now and then" as plays hockey like they seem to be counting it for basketball.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:01 AM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Not a real shock.

Hockey is an upper clash, rich kid sport now. Sports like basketball and soccer don't have nearly the cost.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:18 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Obviously it's not thirty percent in organised leagues, but the point is that basketball players don't have to be in organised leagues to develop. The best ones are found and put in organises leagues, just like soccer in Europe and South America.
That doesn't really support the claim that of "How Basketball Overtook Hockey As The Most Popular Youth Sport In Canada," though.

Realistically, most smaller high schools in Canada struggle even to get basketball teams put together, never mind competitive ones. I would put hockey, soccer, and baseball ahead of basketball when it comes to "most popular youth sport in Canada," even when including kids who just shoot baskets in their spare time.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Shawa666

I'm dubious of that aticle's statement.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:20 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Without reading that "article" I can tell you the major reason without meaning to offend anyone, it's due to the large increase of immigration population from the Asian & African countries to Canada.

Seriously.

But hockey is still number one. I've always said, basketball would be more entertaining if they raised the nets 5 feet, the scores wouldn't be so astronomical.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
I agree, I don't know of any youth basketball leagues in the GTA, not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of a single one outside the school system. I imagine there wouldn't be any in the smaller cities either. Basketball nets and courts were always built in to schools and school yards. Yes everybody has shot a few baskets much like everybody has thrown a ball or rode a bike. Speaking of cycling, it would be more accurate for professional cyclists to claim their sport has the widest participation of all. Afterall who has never rode a bike? Male or female for that matter. Hmmmmmmm maybe track athletes can claim the most participation? Who has never attempted to run a hundred yards?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:11 AM
eliostar

Have you see the ratings for the raptors? I think hockey will be ok.

eliostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Wolf357

This is a regional statement.
Here in Manitoba you can pretty much only play Basketball in Winnipeg and Brandon.

I grew up in a rural area and you couldnt play Basketball if you tried...there are no Leagues, not even pick up leagues. Finding a Basketball court in rural Manitoba is like finding a hockey rink in Kenya.
Hockey is not only THE game in most parts of Manitoba...its THE ONLY GAME...

And Yes to those inside the perimeter (Winnipeg) we have the Wesmen and back in the day we had the Thunder....but outside of the city...no one cares

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:13 AM
razor ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Same here...
Growing? Yes look at the players and teams coming out of Canada now...very solid
Overtaking? No way....perhaps only in that specific age range in that study

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

I can say that, altrough I dont follow basketball, it is quite a lot more popular in Québec then one might believe.

And this is reflected on TV, with TVA Sports showing games all the time.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Landeskog

Actually I played in youth basketball league for a few years, along with baseball and softball. Basketball was my winter sport. It was cheaper to get started, I believe sign-up was only 65 dollars and rep sign-up was 130. Only played hockey on the street and once in a ball hockey youth league.

Why did I choose basketball over hockey? Good question, the option was thee, but at the time the Raptors had just started and my favorite team at the time was the Bulls were world champs. I played on the school team for both basketball and baseball, along with football.

Hockey wise I was no worse than any of the rep players in my class, but picked basketball and baseball as combo package, because I better at both.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Potrzebie

vCash: 50
I believe it. Hockey is pricing itself completely out of the average family's price range.

What would surprise me is if it were truly overtaking soccer. Out of all the families with children I know (there are many) only 2 kids play hockey. The rest play soccer. In school it's basketball and volleyball.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

^ Hockey Manitoba may be pricing the game out for families. But if you're suggesting it's cause of the cost of the equipment, you know there are trade in programs available right?

My parents weren't rich by any means when I started, so for a couple years we used the equipment trade in programs available. Got usable gear for 1/4 the price of brand new.

Now I do agree, AAA and AA is very bloody expensive. If I recall correctly when I played it was something like $3400 / year?

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Hockey is so expensive. You won't hear many stories about NHL players escaping poverty.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:20 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Without reading that "article" I can tell you the major reason without meaning to offend anyone, it's due to the large increase of immigration population from the Asian & African countries to Canada.

Seriously.

But hockey is still number one. I've always said, basketball would be more entertaining if they raised the nets 5 feet, the scores wouldn't be so astronomical.
The article says lax immigration policies have helped.

"Relaxed immigration laws and increased participation opportunities paved the way for basketball to overtake hockey as the most popular sport among Canadian youth."

Look at basketball tv ratings to know little the sport is cared about here. The NBA Finals were getting terrible ratings.

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Rocko604

Not surprised to hear this. In Metro Vancouver, high school basketball is very popular. Give or take a handful, I'd imagine every high school has boys and girls teams. I never played basketball in school as I played rep hockey, but my friends and I would go to the park almost every week to play basketball. Great cardio workout.

As far as watching goes, I couldn't care less about the NBA. I do however enjoy watching the NCAA conference tournaments and the final tournament.

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
What do they mean by "participates in basketball?" Does this mean play in organized leagues? Or does it also include pick-up games and playing ball at recess?

I'm sure if you combined ice hockey, street hockey, ball hockey, and roller hockey, basketball still lags behind.

Seems just like they're throwing numbers out there.
All those forms of hockey are different sports. And no one plays street hockey any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Ehh, I threw around the ball when I was a kid every now and then, and I (along with every guy in my class) played on the school team in elementary school. I guess I counted towards the stat back then. Haven't really played since, aside from like once a year, and that's just to play HORSE or super casual with friends. I'm guessing they're not counting "plays road hockey now and then" as plays hockey like they seem to be counting it for basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Not a real shock.

Hockey is an upper clash, rich kid sport now. Sports like basketball and soccer don't have nearly the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
That doesn't really support the claim that of "How Basketball Overtook Hockey As The Most Popular Youth Sport In Canada," though.

Realistically, most smaller high schools in Canada struggle even to get basketball teams put together, never mind competitive ones. I would put hockey, soccer, and baseball ahead of basketball when it comes to "most popular youth sport in Canada," even when including kids who just shoot baskets in their spare time.
I would put soccer but thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post

Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I agree, I don't know of any youth basketball leagues in the GTA, not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of a single one outside the school system. I imagine there wouldn't be any in the smaller cities either. Basketball nets and courts were always built in to schools and school yards. Yes everybody has shot a few baskets much like everybody has thrown a ball or rode a bike. Speaking of cycling, it would be more accurate for professional cyclists to claim their sport has the widest participation of all. Afterall who has never rode a bike? Male or female for that matter. Hmmmmmmm maybe track athletes can claim the most participation? Who has never attempted to run a hundred yards?

You always say this styx. Even in the the Nate silver survey, only 51 percent of Greater Toronto was interested in hockey. Why would it be so hard to believe most kids don't play hockey. It's too expensive and too dangerous. and the majority of the population that does not care for pro sports.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The article says lax immigration policies have helped.

"Relaxed immigration laws and increased participation opportunities paved the way for basketball to overtake hockey as the most popular sport among Canadian youth."

Look at basketball tv ratings to know little the sport is cared about here. The NBA Finals were getting terrible ratings.
This is about kids so what does this have to do with ratings. CFL gets good ratings but football is not even that popular among canadian kids.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliostar View Post
Have you see the ratings for the raptors? I think hockey will be ok.
Again, what does this have to do with ratings?