HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How Basketball Overtook Hockey as the Most Popular Youth Sport in Canada

Old
07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

vCash: 500
These ratings must be made from high school basketball because I literally have no knowledge of any of my friends playing league basketball and I know a few who like to play basketball.

Everyone school will have basketball, and if you are even somewhat of an athlete there is a good chance you will try it.

Hockey is by far the most consistent sport through all ages. Soccer may be the most popular in terms of numbers but the amount drastically drops after about age 13 I'd guess. Hockey has a strong amount of players right up until the end of high school, which can't be said about any other sport in Canada (Besides Golf) besides high school Football.

I'd like to see the number of athletes for the ages 13-19. I'd assume its Hockey>Golf>Baseball>Soccer>Basketball, but I really have no idea.

Between ages 4-8 I would assume Hockey could be as close as last.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Again, what does this have to do with ratings?
I agree, we have to differentiate between what kids are playing and what ratings are for the pro sports. The article isn't saying "Canada isn't interested in hockey", it's suggesting that more kids are playing basketball. I do agree that the article isn't incredibly clear as far as what's being "counted".

I just wonder why it seems that every time an article talks about more kids taking up soccer, basketball, ect-everyone gets all jumpy. I think the simple fact that more kids are getting out and exercising and away from the x-boxes is a step in the right direction, regardless of sport.

It makes me think, is it possible we could work this into a media discussion standpoint? Or should that be another thread entirely? I don't want to hijack the thread

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Confucius

Quote:
All those forms of hockey are different sports. And no one plays street hockey any more

I would put soccer but thats all

You always say this styx. Even in the the Nate silver survey, only 51 percent of Greater Toronto was interested in hockey. Why would it be so hard to believe most kids don't play hockey. It's too expensive and too dangerous. and the majority of the population that does not care for pro sports.
Well if the 51% you use to try and illustrate your point is correct. What percentage of Greater Toronto residents are not interested in any sport? It must be a sizeable number?
Add the meagre percentages that prefer baseball, football and lump all the other truly fringe sports into yet another category. Now the percentage you have left must be the kids that prefer basketball.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Well if the 51% you use to try and illustrate your point is correct. What percentage of Greater Toronto residents are not interested in any sport? It must be a sizeable number?
Add the meagre percentages that prefer baseball, football and lump all the other truly fringe sports into yet another category. Now the percentage you have left must be the kids that prefer basketball.
Honestly I don't even think b-ball is taking over. I think the real threat is soccer and has been for some time. I think more people are not interested in sports then all the others combined

Btw I consider you a friend and I hope I did not come off as pushy

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I agree, we have to differentiate between what kids are playing and what ratings are for the pro sports. The article isn't saying "Canada isn't interested in hockey", it's suggesting that more kids are playing basketball. I do agree that the article isn't incredibly clear as far as what's being "counted".

I just wonder why it seems that every time an article talks about more kids taking up soccer, basketball, ect-everyone gets all jumpy. I think the simple fact that more kids are getting out and exercising and away from the x-boxes is a step in the right direction, regardless of sport.

It makes me think, is it possible we could work this into a media discussion standpoint? Or should that be another thread entirely? I don't want to hijack the thread
I think its because of the fear hockey won't be number 1 anymore. Its curious because the NHL has puts its eggs into a bigger basket called the US and keeps broke teams there so I wonder what the loyalty is about.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Honestly I don't even think b-ball is taking over. I think the real threat is soccer and has been for some time. I think more people are not interested in sports then all the others combined

Btw I consider you a friend and I hope I did not come off as pushy
Thanks man, I can tell you're an upstanding guy and for a young person very consciencious and I don't find you the least bit pushy it would not be very entertaining if everyone posted something everybody agreed upon. Afterall would you read a site where people posted stuff like, there are seven days in a week, birds are smaller than elephants etc.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Hockey is so expensive. You won't hear many stories about NHL players escaping poverty.
Agreed. Now more so than ever. People are scraping by and don't have an extra 4k a year for recreation.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:16 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Without reading that "article" I can tell you the major reason without meaning to offend anyone, it's due to the large increase of immigration population from the Asian & African countries to Canada.

Nope. Still looks rather white.

NOTE: This is a picture of the Canadian Men's University Team

Basketball growing owes more to the people running the sport getting their act together. The school system is the current main setup, and they've expanded to bring smaller schools into the program.

Local leagues are starting up and they are certain looking for those willing to help.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
thom

Football in Quebec rules there are over 300 highschools that play the game and its triple from the mid 80'-s.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:09 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
All those forms of hockey are different sports. And no one plays street hockey any more
They aren't different sports, they're just variations of the same sport played on different mediums.

If they're different sports, then so are basketball, street basketball, 3x3 ball, 2x2 ball, half-court ball, 21, pig, etc.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

basketball is cheap. hockey is expensive. mystery solved!

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
htpwn

More people play soccer in Canada than any other sport.

Does that mean it is the most popular sport?

The headline and premise of the article is off-base in this regard. Participation numbers can only show so much.

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers divided into casual and serious players. Anybody can pick up a ball, shoot some hoops, and claim to be a basketball player. What is the number of people who watch basketball over every other sport, who go to camps, spend days on end practicing, and are set on a future in the NBA. I suspect, though I don't have numbers to back it up, hockey is still #1 by quite a margin in that regard. That is putting aside things like TV ratings which really dictate what the country is watching.

That said, basketball's growth can obviously not totally ignored from a hockey perspective. There have long been concerns about playing costs of the sport and still nothing really has been done about it. The NHL, meanwhile, seems content to sit on their laurels and focus all their attention on struggling American markets. Hockey Canada, the NHL, and the teams need to do better to continue the strong tradition of the sport in this country.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Bawston
Rookie User

Soccer, baseball and basketball will always be popular youth sports.

Doesn't mean they're the most popular sports. Don't worry guys, hockey is still Canada's game.

Bawston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

To be honest, basketball sucks...it is so boring sport, no chance to watch whole game if my local team or NT is not playing in it. Unlike hockey, where I can watch midget teams playing and enjoy it.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Hockey is a better spectator sport. But as for participation? Easily basketball.

Also, elementary schools are more likely to have a basketball team and compete in divisions. Hockey? Probably not.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I agree, I don't know of any youth basketball leagues in the GTA, not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of a single one outside the school system. I imagine there wouldn't be any in the smaller cities either. Basketball nets and courts were always built in to schools and school yards. Yes everybody has shot a few baskets much like everybody has thrown a ball or rode a bike. Speaking of cycling, it would be more accurate for professional cyclists to claim their sport has the widest participation of all. Afterall who has never rode a bike? Male or female for that matter. Hmmmmmmm maybe track athletes can claim the most participation? Who has never attempted to run a hundred yards?
I grew up in Oakville and there were a bunch of different basketball leagues outside of school, bunch of my friends played in them. I live in Mississauga now and every rec center has one, hersey center has more people in there soccer and basketball leagues than there hockey ones. I go to lifetime fitness, and they have 4 courts of leagues that are always full and have big waiting lists, my company rents a gym once a week for pick up games (does it for hockey too). My church used to rent ice time for teens, but cancelled it for soccer because could no longer get enough people out for hockey.

My younger brother who is 16 and his friends are just as into Soccer and basketball as they are into hockey, im in my mid 20's and our generation didn't really care about basketball except for those few years Vince Carter was actually trying.

Things change, preferences chance just part of life. People don't really care that football is growing in this country or soccer, but when hockey pucks here basketball is growing (especially in Toronto) they get all defensive. Hockey is not dying, its just people now like more than one sport.

Swarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I can say that, altrough I dont follow basketball, it is quite a lot more popular in Québec then one might believe.

And this is reflected on TV, with TVA Sports showing games all the time.
Sure there's a market for basketball, no doubt. Is it big? Nowhere as big as the Hockey market. It's still in the participation only stage.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Soundwave

I don't really mind this to be honest. As much as I love hockey, I do kinda bristle at the notion that Canada is only good at hockey and basically mediocre at most other sports.

It was nice when Donovan Bailey was having all his success, and now it's cool that a Canadian was taken no.1 in the NBA draft and that Wiggins kid from Canada looks like he will be no.1 in next year's draft. So we could be looking at two consecutive years where a Canadian is taken no.1 in the NBA draft ... that's pretty significant IMO for a country that has a population of about 30 million people.

And yes, I mentioned this in another thread, but among the younger set, basketball is definitely the no.2 sport IMO, above the CFL or Blue Jays/MLB.

They know more about LeBron/Kobe/etc. than they do about any CFL player.

Hockey is so expensive and very time consuming too, you don't have to just learn hockey as a sport, kids have to then do things like power skating and learning the skating side of the game is almost like trying to learn two sports at once. So sure, I think basketball and soccer are great to get into for kids.

If the Raptors actually land that Wiggins kid and could actually be a decent franchise (lol), that would help grow the popularity of the sport tremendously too.

Hockey will always be Canada's sport, but there's nothing wrong with Canada being good at something else too or kids having an alternative to such an expensive sport as hockey. Basketball is part of Canada's heritage anyway, a Canadian invented it after all.

Last edited by Soundwave: 07-13-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:21 PM
tucker3434

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1460165

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I remember in the 90s everyone said basketball was growing and growing. To be honest I get the sense basketball was more popular then than it is now. Meanwhile the most relevant story of the past two decades in sports has been the rise of the NFL to the monster behemoth among sports leagues which few saw coming in the late 80s/early 90s. And that as a sport watched religiously by masses who've never played a down of the sport competitively.

Participation is important for the production of talent primarily, but there I don't feel Canada should feel too threatened because hockey is super expensive everywhere else too and it's feeling the competition of soccer far more acutely in Europe. The one country benefiting here is the US, a country that probably has more wealthy parents keen to make a financial and personal effort to support their kids playing a sport than any other country on Earth. But then Canada still has the cultural advantage that also yields a "know how" advantage. Participation levels don't necessarily translate to great elite talent if the support infrastructure isn't at a high enough level throughout the country (see, soccer in the US where it's been a prominent youth sport for decades but little elite talent if any filters through to the pros).

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:

Not sure where you are located, but here in Barrie, Ontario there is tonnes of road hockey played. I see road hockey nets in about every other driveway in my neighbourhood and I see kids outside playing road hockey daily.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:26 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Without reading that "article" I can tell you the major reason without meaning to offend anyone, it's due to the large increase of immigration population from the Asian & African countries to Canada.

Seriously.

But hockey is still number one. I've always said, basketball would be more entertaining if they raised the nets 5 feet, the scores wouldn't be so astronomical.
you forgot to add immigrants coming into canada are coming the carribbean and west indies...

anthony bennett, first canadian drafted, family background came from jamaica..

Last edited by sawchuk1971: 07-13-2013 at 08:38 PM.
sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
This is a regional statement.
Here in Manitoba you can pretty much only play Basketball in Winnipeg and Brandon.

I grew up in a rural area and you couldnt play Basketball if you tried...there are no Leagues, not even pick up leagues. Finding a Basketball court in rural Manitoba is like finding a hockey rink in Kenya.
Hockey is not only THE game in most parts of Manitoba...its THE ONLY GAME...

And Yes to those inside the perimeter (Winnipeg) we have the Wesmen and back in the day we had the Thunder....but outside of the city...no one cares
the more urban you go, the more popular basketball has come...

hockey in canada is a rural and suburban sport...

Last edited by sawchuk1971: 07-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.
sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:48 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
the more urban you go, the more popular basketball has come...

hockey in canada is a rural and suburban sport...

So I guess Canada's largest (and the world's largest) development league, the GTHL, is not an urban league...?

Last edited by saffronleaf: 07-14-2013 at 04:36 AM.
saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Hockey is so expensive. You won't hear many stories about NHL players escaping poverty.
There are lots of stories of hockey players who could only play because they were given equipment by their coach, their teammate's parents or their neighbours and of parents who took extra jobs or even sold their wedding rings so that their kid could play.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote