HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Markov complete his contract and be let go, be extended, or traded?

Old
07-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Stripper

vCash: 500
Resign him one year and make him play with Beaulieu. Markov is, in a way, our very own Lidstrom. You do not trade your Lidstroms... unless you've got something in return that is worth it.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:11 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Markov has been great on the PP, but we've had great PP's for years and it's really gotten us nowhere...I think it's time to turn the defence into guys who are better at keeping the puck out of the net than putting it in. I feel like we need a solid young more defensive number 2 next to subban...maybe tinordi will fit the bill...but i feel like...

Subban - (seabrook compareable)
Beaulieu - Tinordi
Gorges - Emelin

.......would be just unstoppable.

I'd like to see markov to washington for a deal involving tom wilson.....**** that kid is tough.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:18 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Markov has been great on the PP, but we've had great PP's for years and it's really gotten us nowhere...I think it's time to turn the defence into guys who are better at keeping the puck out of the net than putting it in. I feel like we need a solid young more defensive number 2 next to subban...maybe tinordi will fit the bill...but i feel like...

Subban - (seabrook compareable)
Beaulieu - Tinordi
Gorges - Emelin

.......would be just unstoppable.

I'd like to see markov to washington for a deal involving tom wilson.....**** that kid is tough.
Girardi would be ideal to partner with Subban. Great top pairing. Or even Bouwmeester. Both UFA next summer (as of now). Doubt Beaulieu is ready for top 4 though.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:23 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Girardi would be ideal to partner with Subban. Great top pairing. Or even Bouwmeester. Both UFA next summer (as of now). Doubt Beaulieu is ready for top 4 though.
yah there's another ranger d-man i had in mind as well
gainey

i feel like we're going to have to draft them....but bouwmeester wouldn't look bad at all.

and beaulieu wont be top for next year...but in the not too distant future i think that's where his potential will take him.

sam morin would have been awesome...**** that still bothers me. i wanted that player soo bad.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
So much fail in this thread.

Markov was healthy last year and top 5 scorer among dmen. And he's 34, not 44! He's a very smart guy and will most likely adjust his game as time goes by. He was gased last year, but it may be due to the fact that he didn't play much in the preceeding years. Used properly, he could be effective for the next 3-4 years.

If he maintains his level of play next year and the Habs offer him 2y @3M, he will understandably leave. And who will run our PP?
Great post agree 100%

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Habiton

Extended, a Hab for life. Hard working, skilled beyond belief and a fantastic leader in the room. Having Markov makes us better even at 40, he does not need speed to be effective.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:38 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It is absolutely impossible to judge Markov on last year. Clearly, the guy was affected by the short compressed schedule. We have no other options but to judge what to do with him based on this present season. Not sure though how people can make a judgment, positive or negative at this point though. There might be signals that he indeed regressed just like there are other signals that we still don't have another passer like him on the team. But this season, while longer but less compressed will tell the whole story. And depending where we are at, it might go from trading him at the trade deadline to signing him for another 2 years.
I agree, but despite all the difficulties markov has faced, he is still a very good problem to have. He'll be adequate at 5vs5 and a master on the pp at the very least. That's without any improvement upon last year and maybe even a little more of a decline. He is still highly serviceable, his game will translate like that as long as he plays imo.

I expect him to improve on last year however, might not be top 5 in points, but better utilization and not playing 4 games a week should help him. I expect markov to be very good this year.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Miller Time

If he's not extended, he'd better get dealt at the deadline for a considerable return (assuming he's not injured, of course).

Worst case scenario is that we keep him for a meager playoff run and then watch him walk in the offseason.

If he stays at/near same level as last year, I'd be fine with a 2-year extension in the ~5.5M$ range, under 5M$ if he wants 3 years.

If he has a better year and shows himself back to a top pairing defensive level to go with the offensive repertoire, than id go higher, but would be even more inclined to parlay him into a BIG deadline payoff unless the team decides to go all in towards a cup run.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Alfie Turcotte

Extended. Hab for life. No question.

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Bob Cole

Extend but only at a home town discount. The guy is no where near a 5mil defenseman anymore.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Habsrback

My take on this is that if the Habs are fighting for the bottom playoff spots AND Markov is playing well, he will be dealt at his maximum value to a contending team. However, if the Habs are fighting for the top spots, Markov will be kept and MB will try to sign him. The rationale is that management would estimate that the Habs, after two consecutive seasons at the top, are not far away from contending and hence would keep Markov to help mentor all the newcomers.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

I love Andrei Markov. I do. But man, looking at the way he played last season...I'm still not sure yet about what we should do with this guy. Markov is still a lot more important than what people might think. He has been one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL for years now. Why do you guys think our PP has been so good for many years?

We finished 5th on the PP in 05-06. 1st the next two years! 2nd in 2009-2010. Not bad at all if you ask me. IMO, the team is playing better hockey when he's there. He still has a place on this team but he needs to play 20 mins or less per game. Subban is our #1 defenseman, he can take care of the defense.

Yes, Markov is slow. Yes, he is 34. Yes, he won't be the player he used to be in the past. There's something people still don't get, nobody is ready to take his place. Not Beaulieu, not Tinordi and not Nygren. What Markov needs to do is rely on his qualities as a defenseman. Great puck mover, vision, hockey IQ. He has these qualities and they are way above the average player in the NHL. It's difficult to judge him over the last season, he hasn't played a lot of hockey during the last three seasons. We need to see how he plays and reacts on 82 games.

If he wants to finish his career in Montreal, I'm fine with a contract of two years. Between $9M & $10M/2years.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:07 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Subban is our #1 now and with a big salary raise coming in 2014, I just can't see us resigning Markov.

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:31 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Extend but only at a home town discount. The guy is no where near a 5mil defenseman anymore.
He absolutely is. Look at his comparables. Guys like him are rare, and they get paid....

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Subban is our #1 now and with a big salary raise coming in 2014, I just can't see us resigning Markov.
Gionta's contract comes off the books next year. That'll more or less cover Subban's raise (Gionta's contract + Subban's current contract = almost 8 million).

Gallagher will probably be ready to take Gionta's spot in a year's time, and hopefully one of Collberg/Thomas/Leblanc will be ready by then to take Gallagher's current 3rd line spot.

Besides, we have over $3 million cap space right now, and that's with 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract for next season. Our cap situation is fine, perfectly fine. If we want to keep Markov, we can afford to do so.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:47 AM
bearit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Question #1: Do you want Markov to be extended, be traded, or be let go at the end of the season?
Question #2: Do you expect Markov to be extended, be traded, or be let go at the end of the season?

My view is that the critics of Markov on this forum are underrating him, and that he is still an effective second pairing dman who will look better this year as some of his minutes are shifted to Subban. Ideally we should resign him for something of the order of 3 years @ 4 million per, though Bergevin might pay more since he overpays, which may be due to him "not being a numbers guy".

Markov is tradeable if both Diaz and Beaulieu take very significant steps forward, and if we get a good package in return. I think the minimum return for us to trade him is the equivalent of two 1st rounders, or a young stud like we got back in the Halak trade.
I think it would be in the habs best interest to let him go after this year. He is a quality player but that 5 mil. or so would be better spent on a healthy player that they can count on.

bearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Uwey

He'll be traded at the deadline for picks & prospects.

I believe this team wasn't as bad as they showed finishing 27th overall in the league two seasons ago, nor were they as good as finishing 4th overall in the league last season. Over a full 82 games, I feel this team next season will struggle to make the playoffs this season, thus we will see players like Markov, Gionta, Moen & possibly Plekanec moved at the trade deadline next year.

Several of the eastern conference teams have improved very well this summer, while the Habs have basically stood pat. That said, I believe it is short term pain for long term gain as this management group wants to grow & develop players from within. There is a good foundation in place, with several other interesting prospects added to the system. Moving some of the older players out & while adding more future assets to system will probably be key to their plan moving forward, but timing is everything when making those deals.

For another two seasons, IMO, us as Habs fans, should keep our expectations relatively low, but in years three, four & five I believe our expectations should grow substantially each season.

Just my opinion.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:39 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
I want to see Andrei Markov hoist the Stanley Cup in one city only.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:26 AM
the

I would be pissed off if we let Markov go but still keep "Character" players like Georges and Bouillon.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:35 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Let go. At this point of his career, he's just a shell of his former self.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Question #1: Do you want Markov to be extended, be traded, or be let go at the end of the season?
Question #2: Do you expect Markov to be extended, be traded, or be let go at the end of the season?

My view is that the critics of Markov on this forum are underrating him, and that he is still an effective second pairing dman who will look better this year as some of his minutes are shifted to Subban. Ideally we should resign him for something of the order of 3 years @ 4 million per, though Bergevin might pay more since he overpays, which may be due to him "not being a numbers guy".

Markov is tradeable if both Diaz and Beaulieu take very significant steps forward, and if we get a good package in return. I think the minimum return for us to trade him is the equivalent of two 1st rounders, or a young stud like we got back in the Halak trade.
It's hard to take a post seriously when even though you know the person put time into it, it contains a ridiculous statement like 'Bergevin might pay more since he overpays, which may be due to him "not being a numbers guy" '.

However, leaving that aside, it's still an interesting topic.

Assuming we don't get an attractive hockey trade falling into our lap before the season starts, I think we have to evaluate later, at two specific points:

a. Before the deadline, is Markov playing well enough to either be extended or kept for the stretch run, giving up any return possible

b. after the playoffs, what value of contract, if any, would we be prepared to offer.

I would NOT extend now, certainly not at any price Markov would likely accept today. SO the idea of extending 2 years at $3M is simply not going to happen right now. Markov MIGHT be willing to accept a low salary later, if he sees his contribution slipping a notch, but that will never happen before the season. So extending him means, in my opinion, offering anywhere from $4.5M to $6.0M and......no way.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Slick Eller

People underlook at Markov utility this year... Toward the end of the year he was shot defensively, but at the beginning he was damn fine...

And he was the reason our PP went good again..Not a coincidence...when team were focusing too much on Subban...Markov was scoring.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Slick Eller

Reading almost the whole thread, I remembered why I hate so many Habs fans here... Must avoid HF during the summer...

Short term memory...

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If he's not extended, he'd better get dealt at the deadline for a considerable return (assuming he's not injured, of course).

Worst case scenario is that we keep him for a meager playoff run and then watch him walk in the offseason.

If he stays at/near same level as last year, I'd be fine with a 2-year extension in the ~5.5M$ range, under 5M$ if he wants 3 years.

If he has a better year and shows himself back to a top pairing defensive level to go with the offensive repertoire, than id go higher, but would be even more inclined to parlay him into a BIG deadline payoff unless the team decides to go all in towards a cup run.
I agree that we should move him if we're not planning on re-signing him. Losing such a valuable player to free agency would be dumb. Even if we are 1st, you move him, assuming the return is huge of course.

I'd be disappointed to see him go however. To me Markov is the Captain of the Habs.
You just know that if Markov speaks, you listen. We know he's not scared of calling out teammates and setting them straight either, has been a Habs all his career, our record with him in the lineup vs not (I know we didn't have the best teams either but still) speaks for itself. I would love for him to finish his career here.

I understand the need to rebuild from the draft and the appeal of a potential return a guy like Markov would likely bring in, however I also believe you need to surround your youngsters with solid veterans. Markov (and Plekanec for that matter) is one of those guys. Those two guys are great models for the kids, and unlike Gionta, they excel in some facets of the game.

So I really want him back, I think it can be a huge luxury to have a guy like him on the 2nd pairing. He formed the best duo for Dmen on the PP with PK last year, by far. Keep him around.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:28 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

The real question to ask people who want Markov to stay:

Who do you replace? You guys keep suggesting Price is not up to par because of a weak defensive unit. Yet, the only guy around here I see getting bashed is Bouillon...

Bouillon is not the only reason our defense needs improvement, you know guys?

So, what are you doing?

Markov, Gorges or Diaz have to go at some point.

The only two guys I really want here to build the D around are:

Subban, Tinordi.

Add 2 or 3 guys from the prospects pool progressively, and 1-2 guys from the UFA/trade market.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote