HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Markov complete his contract and be let go, be extended, or traded?

Old
07-15-2013, 11:41 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Hmmm. Remember Hamrlik and the number 5.5M. People thought that was impossible too.
Since then defenseman salaries have gone up considerably and quite frankly Markov > Hamrlik.
markov > anybody else that is his comparables tbh. and those comparables are getting paid a lot. so you could be right, maybe he gets a raise i don't know. but honestly, my crystal ball says 5m for 2. small saving for the team

actually, i'd be very curious to see what other GMs would offer markov considering that a 39 year old gonchar got 5m and a ****** 30y/o wideman got 5.2. if these two clowns get that much, surely markov gets ~6

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Price My Man Crush

Yeah I remember Hamrlik too...I remember that he was a unrestricted free agent so if Gainey really wanted him, he needed to overpay.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:48 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
With Markov, I think that MB should play it by ear (or eye?). Markov, as an offensive tool, was a powerhouse especially with PK on the PP. If we limit his ice-time going forward, then it shouldn't be an issue. The problem I have with this is who swallows his minutes?

Markov played (on average) 24:07 TOI/G last season. If we reduce it to say 21:07 (just as a random number), which players cover those 3 minutes? The top 4 players for TOI/G last year were:

Markov (24:07 TOI/G)
Subban (23:14 TOI/G)
Gorges (21:23 TOI/G)
Diaz (20:33 TOI/G)

Seeing as most #1 D play around 25 minutes per game, I could definitely see PK Subban being able to handle 2 extra minutes per game. Does that mean you can sprinkle 30 seconds to Gorges and another 30 seconds for Diaz? I think I would be okay with that, the problem though is MT going to do that? You never know

Anyways going back to the main point, we decrease Markov's icetime and he'll probably be better defensively while maintaining a similar offensive pace (again this is all speculation) and I don't understand how MB couldn think of not re-signing to a 1- or 2-year deal (although no mid-season signings as it would be our lucky break that Markov gets injured on game 67 after signing after game 55, or if he goes to play for Russia at OG and gets injured there).

I don't believe that trading strong assets just because they're assets is the right way to win hockey clubs; it all depends on the situations. You do it if you'll get crunched with cap (as Chicago did with Byfuglien, Ladd) which most likely won't be the case as Markov should take a smaller salary with us on his next deal (with it being a 35+ contract), as I've heard he wants to play his career as a Canadien. It would be nice for the General to get to end his career here. I'm hoping MB sees the value in his leadership. He has really opened up since coming over here from Russia and he's a hilarious guy. I think he and PK are getting along nicely now (speculation of course) and his humour probably helps the kids feel right at home (again, speculation but I feel like it's true). You can't put a value on that really...

For those above reasons, I say I would want Markov to sign (pending 2013-14 season and injury results for Markov, and CH's results in the standings for 2013-14 season, as well as Beaulieu's progression this year in Hamilton), but I feel like MB might move him anyways if he gets a homerun of a deal, which I am not opposed to. I don't expect Markov to be moved otherwise.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Henkka

If Habs won't extend Markov, I almost guarantee that Detroit Red Wings will sign him from free agency and you will regret that move, very very badly.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

It all depends on Beaulieu (if still with Habs organisation)

I wish he could leave after next season

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Yeah I remember Hamrlik too...I remember that he was a unrestricted free agent so if Gainey really wanted him, he needed to overpay.
Washington ended up on the short end of the stick on that deal. Completely ineffective in the 2nd year of the contract which is why we didn't match it. Good call by us on thatt one.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote