Notices

Marian Hossa is the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Marian Hossa is the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history

If there ever was a stat that illustrates how pointless (pun) it is for a relocated team to adopt the stats and achievements of its predecessor, this must be it. A lifelong Jets fan could have absolutely no association with this, as do I.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
EpicGingy

vCash: 50
One day an actual Jet will be there, it's no big deal.

It'd be kind of a punch to the face of Atlanta fans to pretend their team never existed, where else would their team be remembered?

Old
07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post

It'd be kind of a punch to the face of Atlanta fans to pretend their team never existed, where else would their team be remembered?
Good point, but no intention to pretend anything never existed.

In fact, speaking of punches to faces, wouldn't they of all people agree that they should remember their team ... as a team in Atlanta ... not a team in Winnipeg?

Old
07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post

I do not think anyone here is pretending their team never existed.

The "Atlanta Thrashers" identity belongs to the City of Atlanta and to Atlanta Thrashers fans.

My attatchment is to the "Winnipeg Jets" identity, which means for me, personally, the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history is Teemu Selanne.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:29 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
If there ever was a stat that illustrates how pointless (pun) it is for a relocated team to adopt the stats and achievements of its predecessor, this must be it. A lifelong Jets fan could have absolutely no association with this, as do I.
...and last week it was Kovi. What has changed?

Active players as in still active with the team.

Slater, Little and Enstrom are the top producers.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:31 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I do not think anyone here is pretending their team never existed.

The "Atlanta Thrashers" identity belongs to the City of Atlanta and to Atlanta Thrashers fans.

My attatchment is to the "Winnipeg Jets" identity, which means for me, personally, the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history is Teemu Selanne.
Franchise history is franchise history.

A cities sporting history is a very different thing.

They both exist.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
The Jets are the Thrashers and the Thrashers are the Jets.

There's a difference though between the Thrashers and Winnipeg.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:33 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Franchise history is franchise history.

A cities sporting history is a very different thing.

They both exist.
Noooo.... That can't be true. What sorcery is this???

Old
07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

As much as we all love Teemu he holds absolutely no history to this franchise, to the city and Jets 1.0 absolutely but not this team.

We've had this discussion before, I'm not sure why the retiring of Kovalchuk has brought it back up.

Last edited by Lynk: 07-13-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
07-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Skidooboy

I would happily leave every thrashers reference, record, banner, and stat, behind.
The league needs to right this wrong. Yotes fans don't care about Jets 1.0 players or stats, and I don't care about the Thrashers. Hawerchuck, Selanne, the hot line, those are our history. If we ever try to retire Kovy's # or Hossa's I will be angry and disappointed in TNSE. I sure would never tip my hat to those Jerseys.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

I don't understand why some people can't just separate franchise, and city. Not that ****ing hard...

Old
07-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Skidooboy

Well Duke Because its a silly seperation. Did Cleveland give up the Browns History?

The league should close the books and open new ones when the team leaves a city for another. Don't make a new (or in our case old) team live with the ghost of another organization hanging over their heads. Then if in the rarest of occurrences we have a situation like ours the team can make a choice to honour the past or not.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Here we go again.

I'm not sure why Kovalchuk retiring would rehash this discussion once again. The fans can believe whatever you like but at the end of the day, this FRANCHISE has absolutely NO TIES to the previous Jets.

[mod]

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-13-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: flaming/generalization
Old
07-13-2013, 12:17 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
the only thing i can relate to the Atlanta Thrashers is my younger brothers Winnipeg Thrashers AAA jersey lol

Old
07-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

I don't know why we need to get worked up about this. We have the old Jets, and the new Jets. I don't know why it's so difficult to just separate the two. I've come to accept it. Old job, new job. Old wife, new wife. I don't have a burning need to have a unified history; I'm just fine keeping them separate.

My analogy is that I view them as separate 'books', separate iterations. While it seems some people need to have them as separate chapters in the SAME book. I don't feel a need to do that, and my personal memories and fondness for these separate iterations of NHL hockey in Winnipeg isn't tarnished either way.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I don't know why we need to get worked up about this. We have the old Jets, and the new Jets. I don't know why it's so difficult to just separate the two. I've come to accept it. Old job, new job. Old wife, new wife. I don't have a burning need to have a unified history; I'm just fine keeping them separate.

My analogy is that I view them as separate 'books', separate iterations. While it seems some people need to have them as separate chapters in the SAME book. I don't feel a need to do that, and my personal memories and fondness for these separate iterations of NHL hockey in Winnipeg isn't tarnished either way.
Sounds pretty simple to me.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
I don't understand why some people can't just separate franchise, and city. Not that ****ing hard...
Exactly.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:38 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Well Duke Because its a silly seperation. Did Cleveland give up the Browns History?

The league should close the books and open new ones when the team leaves a city for another. Don't make a new (or in our case old) team live with the ghost of another organization hanging over their heads. Then if in the rarest of occurrences we have a situation like ours the team can make a choice to honour the past or not.
Please tell me where this evil nasty ******* misrepresentation of a book is located?

EDIT

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about a book that doesn't actually exist anywhere.

Nobody is trying to take away your memories and everything that happenhappened in your city still happened in your city.

Last edited by truck: 07-13-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Hossa only has 248 points as a Thrasher. We have Wheeler @ 105, Ladd @ 96, Kane @ 90.with the current Jets.. give it a few years and we will be having players passing the Thrashers players.

Then people can sleep nights.

Old
Skidooboy

My concern is another horrible, uncomfortable, awkward moment like when Phoenix retired Hawerchuk''s jersey. To a smattering of confused applause and whispers of "who is that" throughout the crowd. Did you even see that? It was sad. And it turned what should have been a triumph into a bit of a farce. Didn't they even have a picture if the wrong Numinen at the ceremony? Pathetic. That makes the league as a whole look "bush"

Old
07-13-2013, 12:46 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
My concern is another horrible, uncomfortable, awkward moment like when Phoenix retired Hawerchuk''s jersey. To a smattering of confused applause and whispers of "who is that" throughout the crowd. Did you even see that? It was sad. And it turned what should have been a triumph into a bit of a farce. Didn't they even have a picture if the wrong Numinen at the ceremony? Pathetic. That makes the league as a whole look "bush"
No it was a picture of the wrong Steen.

I don't see the Jets ever retiring any player that was part of the Thrashers team and not part of the Jets team so don't worry about it. Really, name one Thrasher that has ever done anything worthy of having a retired number.

We have the Dan Snyder Award, but that's different.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Skidooboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Please tell me where this evil nasty ******* misrepresentation of a book is located?
Well truck.... I guess the league offices, or maybe the HHOF.

And you can all quit talking to me like this is an absurd idea. The browns celebrate their legends and history. They honour their past. The NHL could easily do the same

Old
07-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Skidooboy

Gaak! Of course it was Steen! OMG I'm as bad as the 'yotes :-(

Old
07-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
That's a bit of a slippery slope argument. Can you honestly see True North doing this?

For the most part, aside from the Dan Snyder memorial award, TNSE has never looked back. They are pretty much running this with a 'look forward' approach, as if the Thrashers never existed. And they don't really make any big efforts to tie anything to Jets 1.0 either, other than to give a nod to familiar players when they visit the building. This is their new baby. This has nothing to do with Barry Shenkarow, or Winnipeg Enterprises, etc. In fact if it wasn't for huge public pressure, this team could have been named the Manitoba Moose, or Polar Bears, and it would have been in their right to do so.

I will wager, that we will never see a retirement ceremony, for any player that was not wearing a Jets jersey in 2011-2012. That is, we will never see Selanne's jersey retired here, and we will never see Kovy's or Hossa's jersey retired either. And I'm fine with all of that, actually.

Technically, in sports logs, this franchise is not the same franchise that was here in '72. Yet some people demand that it somehow be 'made right' and 'officially' link it together, as if this would bring some internal peace. It's not going to happen...not from the NHL, and TNSE won't be doing anything 'official' either, so you have to find that internal peace within yourself.

Should we argue about the Lethbridge Hurricanes history now, by the way? Since that franchise was also called the 'Winnipeg Jets' at one point. Maybe we should demand that the separate Wikipedia entries for the three franchises should be merged into one.

Old
07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Hossa only has 248 points as a Thrasher. We have Wheeler @ 105, Ladd @ 96, Kane @ 90.with the current Jets.. give it a few years and we will be having players passing the Thrashers players.

Then people can sleep nights.
Will be glad when this day comes. I think once some of the old Thrashers record start to get broken, we'll see more and more let it go. Not like any of the records are anything to be proud of either. lol

The Jets already broke one. Franchise record for road losses in a season!

Closed Thread