Marian Hossa is the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2013, 09:30 AM
EpicGingy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Why is Wayne Gretzky's #99 retired by every franchise in the NHL?

He played for like 4 teams in the NHL.
Respect for all of his accomplishments.

Nobody is going to do what he did in the NHL again. Partly because Gretzky was such an amazing player, and also because the NHL in general is more skilled now.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:46 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Why is Wayne Gretzky's #99 retired by every franchise in the NHL?

He played for like 4 teams in the NHL.
Because he was the greatest player to play.

Grew the game exponentially

Old
07-14-2013, 09:47 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Isn't Teemu Selanne the highest scoring active player in Winnipeg Jets history?
Active yes I think so

Just not all time

Old
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I just thought of something. The Winnipeg Jets currently have Teemu Selanne and Marian Hossa as the highest scoring active Jets.

Old
07-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Skidooboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Nothing is preventing TNSE from honoring Winnipeg Jets legends.

...and whining about how the records look in a book that you will never see is kind of absurd, especially when there are no inaccuracies in said book.

Nobody is pretending what happened in Atl happened here and nobody is pretending Bobby Hull played in Phx.

Maybe not but the Hawerchuck Jersey hanging in Glendale has the 'Yotes colour and logo. Same with the Steen.

I reiterate
this isn't unheard of. There is precedence. Cleveland Browns kept their records and stats and history after relocation/return. We deserve it as much as Cleveland does. What The NFL can do it but the NHL cannot?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Skidooboy

Also Truck....

"Some book I will never see?"
Umm what?
I see "the book" all the time. it's there when I see Kovy as the all time franchise points leader.

Kovalev, Koslov, Heatly, Hossa. Those are our franchise record holding players all right. just looked 'em up on like 5 websites. so indeed I do "see the book" often.

Not sure what it is your on about.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Maybe not but the Hawerchuck Jersey hanging in Glendale has the 'Yotes colour and logo. Same with the Steen.

I reiterate
this isn't unheard of. There is precedence. Cleveland Browns kept their records and stats and history after relocation/return. We deserve it as much as Cleveland does. What The NFL can do it but the NHL cannot?
That was completely different. The NFL officially suspended the Browns franchise and granted an entirely new franchise to Modell in Baltimore. When the new Browns began play it was officially an extension of the old franchise. This ensured franchise continuity and made both teams seperate entities. The Browns, on paper at least, did not relocate.

The NHL did no such thing with the Jets/Coyotes, Nordiques/Avs, Whalers/Canes, or Thrashers/Jets. The entire franchise moved, same as any other business. Unless you have a time machine it's too late for a Browns style "relocation".

End of story.

Old
07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Also Truck....

"Some book I will never see?"
Umm what?
I see "the book" all the time. it's there when I see Kovy as the all time franchise points leader.

Kovalev, Koslov, Heatly, Hossa. Those are our franchise record holding players all right. just looked 'em up on like 5 websites. so indeed I do "see the book" often.

Not sure what it is your on about.
That is because those ARE the franchise record holders...

Nothing is preventing you or anyone else from looking up old Jets 1.0 records for comparison sake. I mean, I did it. You an too.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...year-nhl-stats

Old
07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
My concern is another horrible, uncomfortable, awkward moment like when Phoenix retired Hawerchuk''s jersey. To a smattering of confused applause and whispers of "who is that" throughout the crowd. Did you even see that? It was sad. And it turned what should have been a triumph into a bit of a farce. Didn't they even have a picture if the wrong Numinen at the ceremony? Pathetic. That makes the league as a whole look "bush"
Yeah, this is the same league that allowed the same player to appear on two all-star teams in the same year. So what's new?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Skidooboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
That was completely different. The NFL officially suspended the Browns franchise and granted an entirely new franchise to Modell in Baltimore. When the new Browns began play it was officially an extension of the old franchise. This ensured franchise continuity and made both teams separate entities. The Browns, on paper at least, did not relocate.

The NHL did no such thing with the Jets/Coyotes, Nordiques/Avs, Whalers/Canes, or Thrashers/Jets. The entire franchise moved, same as any other business.

End of story.
Agree it was part of the original relocation that the Browns were able to keep the history, and also agree that it was not part of the Jets 1.0 agreement.

But there really isn't anything preventing the NHL from doing it now either. It really is just another amendment or asterix added to a record book full of them.

[mod]

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-14-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: discuss the subject, please
Old
07-14-2013, 11:56 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Should we argue about the Lethbridge Hurricanes history now, by the way? Since that franchise was also called the 'Winnipeg Jets' at one point. Maybe we should demand that the separate Wikipedia entries for the three franchises should be merged into one.
Haha... good point.

The WHA Jets, Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are three distinct and separate eras in Winnipeg hockey history. There is no relationship between the three other than the fact that Winnipeg hockey fans prefer to use the name "Jets" as the nickname for their professional hockey team. Each had their own owners, personnel and set of players unique to themselves. I have my own personal fond memories of each of those three eras, but see them each as having their own identity. Even the WHA Jets and Jets 1.0 were two drastically different organizations. And thank god that Jets 2.0 is run much differently than Jets 1.0.

As far as Phoenix assuming WHA Jets and Jets 1.0 history and Winnipegers assuming Thrashers history, I can't buy that simply because they/we were not a part of that history.

The NHL can keep the concept of "franchise" history, it means nothing to me.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
They need to be remembered because the city deserved so much better than what happened. Bettman fought to save the wrong franchise and let the other one go without so much as an attempt to stop it.
For the geographical balance of the league, Atlanta is on the wrong side of the continent while Phoenix is on the right side. That's one of the major reasons Bettman has fought so hard to keep one and let the other go so easily. Winnipeg sort of suffered the same fate in the 90's because being right in the middle it didn't help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
And now people just think Atlanta never deserved a franchise and a team never should've been there in the first place. And hearing the city that now harbors that franchise wish they had nothing to do with the Jets just pisses me off.
Atlanta has a well earned rap for being a bad sports city in general, let alone just hockey.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:09 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSystemsGo View Post
For the geographical balance of the league, Atlanta is on the wrong side of the continent while Phoenix is on the right side. That's one of the major reasons Bettman has fought so hard to keep one and let the other go so easily. Winnipeg sort of suffered the same fate in the 90's because being right in the middle it didn't help us.

Atlanta has a well earned rap for being a bad sports city in general, let alone just hockey.
Because I'm sure you know soooo much about Atlanta's sports history...

Old
07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
PS241, glad you enjoy the mixed fanbase. A lot of you guys are really, really good to us ex-Thrash fans. I always feel a little reticent posting pictures of former Thrashers, like the one I posted of Hossa, but it seemed like it might be an acceptable place for it. I never want to be divisive, and every message board I'm part of (even one really small one) have international memberships that enjoy sharing different points of view, so I hope I don't come off that way.

Every large group of posters/people is going to have some dividing lines (like arguing if a real fan is one that criticizes and boycotts a mis-managed team or one that sticks by the team through thick and thin - that's a particularly nasty one that hopefully will never come up in a big way here) but I hope Atlanta/Winnipeg is never a serious one. "You guys" (hate to say it like that) are easy to respect and hopefully all Thrashers fans that are now Jets fans will be respectful. Sometimes Thrashers fans (not all of whom are Jets fans) still pop up here with an emotional outburst and it sometimes embarrasses me, but most people understand that some of those guys are still struggling with the relocation and some are just bad players (of which every sub-group has a few).

We are still one culture of hockey fans and Jets fans, regardless of how many sub-cultures it contains. Hopefully all of us will continue to have fun and not offend, or worry about offending one another.
I agree with this!!!

Old
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
That is because those ARE the franchise record holders...

Nothing is preventing you or anyone else from looking up old Jets 1.0 records for comparison sake. I mean, I did it. You an too.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...year-nhl-stats
For those int in the comparisons I will probably run more of these this week.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSystemsGo View Post

From 1991 to 2005 the Braves were one of the most successful franchises in baseball, winning division titles an unprecedented 14 consecutive times in that period

Over the past five years, the Falcons, under General Manager Thomas Dimitroff, Head Coach Mike Smith, and Quarterback Matt Ryan, have been one of the best franchises in the NFC. Since the start of the 2008 season, the Falcons have recorded five consecutive winning seasons for the first time in franchise history. They led the NFC in number of wins during that period with 57. Mike Smith’s 56–24 regular-season record in that span is the fifth-best in the league.[3] The Falcons had the NFL's second best winning percentage at home during the period of 2008 to 2010 with a .833 percentage. The Falcons have qualified for the playoffs four times (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) during this period, losing the first three, but won their most recent playoff game in 2013, which was their first playoff victory since 2005.[4]

The Hawks................not the greatest but probably on par with our Bombers

I have to disagree with atlanta being a bad sports city in general.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post

From 1991 to 2005 the Braves were one of the most successful franchises in baseball, winning division titles an unprecedented 14 consecutive times in that period

Over the past five years, the Falcons, under General Manager Thomas Dimitroff, Head Coach Mike Smith, and Quarterback Matt Ryan, have been one of the best franchises in the NFC. Since the start of the 2008 season, the Falcons have recorded five consecutive winning seasons for the first time in franchise history. They led the NFC in number of wins during that period with 57. Mike Smith’s 56–24 regular-season record in that span is the fifth-best in the league.[3] The Falcons had the NFL's second best winning percentage at home during the period of 2008 to 2010 with a .833 percentage. The Falcons have qualified for the playoffs four times (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) during this period, losing the first three, but won their most recent playoff game in 2013, which was their first playoff victory since 2005.[4]

I think maybe he was suggesting fan turnout rather than team success.

I don't know anything about whether or not fan support has been bad in Atlanta. I doubt it, though.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Skidooboy

Okay fine I digress.

but I think it funny the guy who threw out the first cheap shot is the one to suddenly "take the high road"

Old
07-14-2013, 12:46 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Huge baseball fan here. Forget if it was last year or year before but the braves couldn't even sell out a post season game. It's a college sports state. UGA and NASCAR

Old
07-14-2013, 12:46 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
I think maybe he was suggesting fan turnout rather than team success.

I don't know anything about whether or not fan support has been bad in Atlanta. I doubt it, though.
There are plenty of fans that will spend their money elsewhere if a team goes on an extended sucking streak, particularly if it's due to mismanagement. We cant really deny that. Most of the population of metro-Atlanta did not grow up in the area in the first place though.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:53 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
OT but if any of the Atlanta folks have season tickets to UGA football lemme know maybe we can trade tickets if you ever come to winnipeg. Center Ice 16 rows behind the penalty box is where my season tickets are

Old
07-14-2013, 12:55 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Franchise history does not always == City's sporting history, though they are often one and the same.

One does not negate the other - you can celebrate both, but there's a difference when it comes to "official" league records. Not sure why this causes some people so much consternation, as it does not prevent anyone from enjoying and appreciating both.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Huge baseball fan here. Forget if it was last year or year before but the braves couldn't even sell out a post season game. It's a college sports state. UGA and NASCAR
I will be straight up and say that I do not follow baseball at all. According to ESPN Atlanta has the 13th best average attendance this season. 2012 15th, 2011 15th, 2010 13th.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I do follow the NFL quite religiously though and they are well supported. just by a quick google they averaged about 68,000 fans a game between 2009-2013 with a capacity of 71k in the regular season.

as for the Hawks.........well is basketball even really a sport?

too say they are a bad sports city is just too much for me to accept based on the numbers. Are they number one leader in fanbase? No but they are not doing poorly at all and their teams have some good history.

Hockey just didnt work, so be it.

Old
07-14-2013, 01:17 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
When you have a history of boweing out in the 1st round every year, its hard to get motivated to go watch something that is as predictable as the sun coming up. This city has a knack for that kind of thing. Falcons have done it, Hawks can't even get to the conference finals, and the Thrashers only appearance was a 1st round sweep. Lol

Old
07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
I will be straight up and say that I do not follow baseball at all. According to ESPN Atlanta has the 13th best average attendance this season. 2012 15th, 2011 15th, 2010 13th.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I do follow the NFL quite religiously though and they are well supported. just by a quick google they averaged about 68,000 fans a game between 2009-2013 with a capacity of 71k in the regular season.

as for the Hawks.........well is basketball even really a sport?

too say they are a bad sports city is just too much for me to accept based on the numbers. Are they number one leader in fanbase? No but they are not doing poorly at all and their teams have some good history.

Hockey just didnt work, so be it.
Hawks owners are the former Thrashers owners. Many hockey fans won't go until Atlanta Spirit Group is gone. Others don't want to pay to see incompetence. Still plenty of basketball fans around. Here's a WNBA Atlanta Dream game:

Closed Thread