HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames vs Flames

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
  #101
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 67
What did you guys think of Poirer and Klimchuck? For 1st round guys, they didn't look all that impactful eh?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  #102
western redmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 691
vCash: 562
So........ Did the flames win?

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #103
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What did you guys think of Poirer and Klimchuck? For 1sr round guys, they didn't look all that impactful eh?
It's development camp and they are both raw. No worries yet.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
  #104
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 50
Also, Kanzig sounds like he may end up being a steal.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
  #105
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
It's development camp and they are both raw. No worries yet.
No I know. Just considering that Kanzig and Monahan were in their draft class.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  #106
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
No I know. Just considering that Kanzig and Monahan were in their draft class.
But lots of people had low expectations for Kanzig compared to Klimchuck and Porier so were more surprised by Kanzig and underwhelmed by Porier and Klimchuck.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  #107
TychoFan
Registered User
 
TychoFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 630
vCash: 216
Well I liked how Poirier created plays to be honest. I did notice his speed but I feel like he could have played better. I didn't even know which number Klimchuck much sadly. xD

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
  #108
JB51Hockey
Registered User
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 771
vCash: 323
Quote of the day..

Tim Harrison on draft day: "Well I was sitting with my family in our family room just eating ice cream watching the draft, I saw my name and I told my dad, 'Dad, I think that's my name' and we all started freaking out."

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:20 PM
  #109
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
Quote of the day..

Tim Harrison on draft day: "Well I was sitting with my family in our family room just eating ice cream watching the draft, I saw my name and I told my dad, 'Dad, I think that's my name' and we all started freaking out."
There were some good interviews on the Fan on draft day. Harrison said the same thing then. I also loved Klimchuk's interview where he said his favorite Flame growing up was Saprykin and the guys on the Fan went "wait, whhhhaaaaaaaaat?" and just started laughing.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
  #110
Anglesmith
Moderator
Fancyman of Cornwood
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,073
vCash: 400
How was the Big Jankowski? I was sorry to miss this game, but the golf course couldn't have been any more inviting today.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
  #111
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What did you guys think of Poirer and Klimchuck? For 1st round guys, they didn't look all that impactful eh?
Klimchuk will take time but you know he will be in the NHL no matter what

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:03 PM
  #112
JB51Hockey
Registered User
 
JB51Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 771
vCash: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
How was the Big Jankowski? I was sorry to miss this game, but the golf course couldn't have been any more inviting today.
I'd say like 6-2 180. Still could put on 20-25 pounds. Should be able to gain that in 3 years

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  #113
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 50
Klimchuk had some good chances but wasn't as good as he was yesterday during the 3 on 2's and 5 on 5 drills.

Poirier hasn't truly blown me away all camp.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  #114
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What did you guys think of Poirer and Klimchuck? For 1st round guys, they didn't look all that impactful eh?
I thought Poirer had a good day as he did everything he was suppose to went to the net hard, had several deflections, wasn't trying to over do it just kept it simple.

I think we need to remember other late first round picks were also not lighting it up there first camp and they had less competition. Not everyone is as skilled as Monahan and Sven at 18 but you can see some nice plays being made by Poirer and Klimchuck. Usually the 2nd camp is the impressive one.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:05 PM
  #115
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
I'd say like 6-2 180. Still could put on 20-25 pounds. Should be able to gain that in 3 years
He's listed as 6'3 1/2" and on skates it's even bigger. He's a full head taller than me on skates and I'm just under 6'

I was a tad disappointed with Janko today. It's not that he played badly, he just didn't play to the level I've seen from him the past two days.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:09 PM
  #116
JurassicTunga
Registered User
 
JurassicTunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 575
What did you guys think of Monahan?

I thought he did great. He is like a hawk defensive zone. He always knows where to be in all end of the rink. Had a nice goal today.

He's going to be such a good player and a leader for a long time for us.

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:47 PM
  #117
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 152
I missed the first ten or so minutes of the game but here are a few thoughts.

Standouts / Surprises

Sven Baertschi - Clearly the best player on the ice by a significant margin. His hands and playmaking ability are at an elite level compared to the rest of the field. Not much else to say..Sven is the real deal.

Turner Elson - This kid really impressed me. He has decent size, is a very good skater, plays a gritty game, and has a decent pair of hands on him. Based upon what I have seen of him in the WHL playoffs, and now in camp I think he has a very good chance of making a seamless transition the AHL level. He will never put up an overwhelming amount of points, but can certainly be a player that you rely upon in all situations.

Markus Granlund - His shot is his greatest asset and is was on display today. He still looks relatively small and frail to me but as far as complimentary scoring forwards go, there is arguably no better prospect in our pool. He has good hockey sense, a pest like mentality, and a lethal shot. In addition to that his playmaking/vision are also above average. Hopefully he sticks around for the full year in Abbotsford and works on his strength and defensive game with Troy Ward.

Reto Berra - He was impressive. He has good lateral movement, a huge frame, and brings a high level of compete to the table. I am cautiously optimistic about this player but until we see him in game action against NHL level talent I don't want to jump to conclusions. I think each goalie played reasonably good today actually. No one really stood out in a negative light.

Josh Jooris - In my opinion he is the most "AHL" ready and talented of the UFA's at camp. I like his skating ability, vision, and size. I would definitely offer him an AHL deal if that is something he interested in, but I would imagine he would prefer to go and play a fourth year at Union in that case.

Corban Knight - He did not have a ton of support from his teammates but he was strong defensively and can protect the puck down low better than any player at camp. In addition to that he continues to impress in the faceoff circle. Outside of Sven, Corban is the most NHL ready player.

Keegan Kanzig - I may be guilty of jumping to conclusions on this player on draft day because quite frankly he was very noticeable in all aspects of the game. I don't expect him to be provide that type of play all of the time, but it is certainly nice to see his raw ability on display.


Players who played well, but were not overwhelming

Sean Monahan - He is simply a very smart hockey player. I missed his goal but his overall game certainly came as advertised.

John Gaudreau - He showed glimpses of his high end talent, but did not overwhelm me today.

Pat Sieloff - He is arguably my favorite prospect so I expect good things from him each and every time he plays. He did not disappoint today.

Tyler Wotherspoon - Safe, steady, smart, reliable etc... He simply knows how to defend at an elite level (for his age), and can actually move the puck out of his end with teh best of them whether that be through a first pass or his mobility.

Eric Roy - He showed noticeable offensive instincts from what I saw, but other than that I really didn't notice him.

John Ramage - Basically take whatever I said about Wotherspoon and apply it here.

Rough outings

Roman Horak - He was fighting the puck all game and simply did not look like himself. It was a bad day and that can happen to any player.

Bryce Van Brabant - I was expecting more out of him judging from the glowing reports he was getting from the first two days of camp. He looked sluggish at times and most importantly completely useless in the offensive zone.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:15 PM
  #118
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 67
I agree with a lot of that HLM. I was expecting more from Horak given his year in Abby

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
  #119
ALI
Registered User
 
ALI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I missed the first ten or so minutes of the game but here are a few thoughts.

Standouts / Surprises

Sven Baertschi - Clearly the best player on the ice by a significant margin. His hands and playmaking ability are at an elite level compared to the rest of the field. Not much else to say..Sven is the real deal.

Turner Elson - This kid really impressed me. He has decent size, is a very good skater, plays a gritty game, and has a decent pair of hands on him. Based upon what I have seen of him in the WHL playoffs, and now in camp I think he has a very good chance of making a seamless transition the AHL level. He will never put up an overwhelming amount of points, but can certainly be a player that you rely upon in all situations.

Markus Granlund - His shot is his greatest asset and is was on display today. He still looks relatively small and frail to me but as far as complimentary scoring forwards go, there is arguably no better prospect in our pool. He has good hockey sense, a pest like mentality, and a lethal shot. In addition to that his playmaking/vision are also above average. Hopefully he sticks around for the full year in Abbotsford and works on his strength and defensive game with Troy Ward.

Reto Berra - He was impressive. He has good lateral movement, a huge frame, and brings a high level of compete to the table. I am cautiously optimistic about this player but until we see him in game action against NHL level talent I don't want to jump to conclusions. I think each goalie played reasonably good today actually. No one really stood out in a negative light.

Josh Jooris - In my opinion he is the most "AHL" ready and talented of the UFA's at camp. I like his skating ability, vision, and size. I would definitely offer him an AHL deal if that is something he interested in, but I would imagine he would prefer to go and play a fourth year at Union in that case.

Corban Knight - He did not have a ton of support from his teammates but he was strong defensively and can protect the puck down low better than any player at camp. In addition to that he continues to impress in the faceoff circle. Outside of Sven, Corban is the most NHL ready player.

Keegan Kanzig - I may be guilty of jumping to conclusions on this player on draft day because quite frankly he was very noticeable in all aspects of the game. I don't expect him to be provide that type of play all of the time, but it is certainly nice to see his raw ability on display.


Players who played well, but were not overwhelming

Sean Monahan - He is simply a very smart hockey player. I missed his goal but his overall game certainly came as advertised.

John Gaudreau - He showed glimpses of his high end talent, but did not overwhelm me today.

Pat Sieloff - He is arguably my favorite prospect so I expect good things from him each and every time he plays. He did not disappoint today.

Tyler Wotherspoon - Safe, steady, smart, reliable etc... He simply knows how to defend at an elite level (for his age), and can actually move the puck out of his end with teh best of them whether that be through a first pass or his mobility.

Eric Roy - He showed noticeable offensive instincts from what I saw, but other than that I really didn't notice him.

John Ramage - Basically take whatever I said about Wotherspoon and apply it here.

Rough outings

Roman Horak - He was fighting the puck all game and simply did not look like himself. It was a bad day and that can happen to any player.

Bryce Van Brabant - I was expecting more out of him judging from the glowing reports he was getting from the first two days of camp. He looked sluggish at times and most importantly completely useless in the offensive zone.
agree with everything I add Arnold, Gilmour, Culkin and Lewis to who played well.

I'm not sure if anyone paid attention to those three D-Men they all had a great game IMO.

Also Martin was brutal.

Update on Howse: he was bad at the start but he got better later on.

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
  #120
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
agree with everything I add Arnold, Gilmour, Culkin and Lewis to who played well.

I'm not sure if anyone paid attention to those three D-Men they all had a great game IMO.

Also Martin was brutal.

Update on Howse: he was bad at the start but he got better later on.
I think Gilmour had way to many turnovers to be considered good. He was trying to do to much.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:29 PM
  #121
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
agree with everything I add Arnold, Gilmour, Culkin and Lewis to who played well.

I'm not sure if anyone paid attention to those three D-Men they all had a great game IMO.

Also Martin was brutal.

Update on Howse: he was bad at the start but he got better later on.
Bill Arnold! I knew i forgot someone that I wanted to mention..
He has always impressed me and his play today was no exception. He kind of has an awkward stride that takes a while to get up to speed, but once he does the kid can flat out burn. He is already one of the more rounded players at this camp and actually has more offensive upside than most give him credit for. He plays a lot like David Moss and if he indeed does pan out in such a way, then I would be more than thrilled.

Culkin is a very smooth skating defender that really did not jump out at me today. It will be interesting to see how his situation unfolds over the summer. I am not quite sold on if he can contribute and defend at the AHL level at the moment, but he is certainly close.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
  #122
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 50
Martin was trying waaaay too hard. He's got skills, they aren't NHL caliber perhaps, but today he was running all over the place trying to impress.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:56 PM
  #123
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
Okay so here are my thoughts from what I saw.

I liked Brossoit and Gilles, but I don't feel like there was enough of a cohesive sample size to make any real judgements. The play was kind of a cluster f.

Here's what stood out good and bad.

Kanzig - This guy is going to play. I never felt like either Flames team was more in control than when either KK or Wotherspoon was on the ice. IMO, easily the best two defencemen. Kinda hard to believe Kanzig was only just drafted. I can't imagine what he would look like at development camp in 2015 as a 20 year old. We all wondered about the pick at the time, but I REALLY like him.

Wotherspoon - To me the guy looks like Dennis Seidenberg. And that's a big compliment he'll be able to eat up 22-25 mins in a Top 2 or Top 4 role in the NHL. Lydman, Hamhuis, Seidenberg etc., name a steady Top 2/4 Dman and this is what TS will become. Tim Erixon who?

Horak - He looks like an NHLer. Not the raw upside of say a Jankowski or Monahan, but not really green either. Horak may or may not factor into the Flames plans, but I firmly believe he is a Top 9 NHL Forward. I realize that might seem a little controversial.

Baerstchi - He is so far above the discombulated, choppy mess that was this scrimmage that you can't really take anything away from it. Nevertheless he's ready to be leaned on 20 mins a night at the NHL level, and he'll adjust as he goes. All he needs is a consistent opportunity.

Poirier - He looked disinterested and a bit lazy. I really want to like him, and like most Flames fans I've gone through the following evolution:

1. What!!! Emile who? ******* Feaster. Why does he have to always go up to the podium and try and look like the smartest guy in the room.

2. Meh, those highlights of Poirier look pretty good. **** he's fast. I'm still mad though.

3. Actually okay, I like him. But we should have taken Shinkaruk at 22 and then Poirier at 28.

4. Okay fine, if Poirier really would have gone to Montreal then I guess I am happy we took him at 22. Wouldn't have mind seeing us package up 28 and something else to move up and also take Shinkaruk but the Klimchuk pick seems solid.

-----------------

So yeah, I've gone through that evolutionary process of coming to grips with the pick, and much like with Jankowski from a year prior I was stoked and happy to watch Poirier show his stuff. Anyway, I don't want to make too much of one scrimmage, but he didn't really look like much of a ****-disturbing, dog on a bone type (as boomer likes to call it).

Maybe it's just Day whatever of development camp, and maybe EP just needs to have venom towards his opponent which wasn't as easy to muster against fellow Flames prospects.

Monahan - Seemed good

Gaudreau - See above, as advertised.

Corban Knight - I really like him. He had that NHLer look to him like Horak has.

Jankowski - This guy is looking better all the time. I can hardly wait until 2017(somewhat joking, but also not a stretch) when he's ready for the big time.

That's all for now.

That long haired Dman punk Trey Lewis or whatever? He looked like some guy from my Beer Hockey league and didn't play much better imo.

Also, Agostino looked good, and Hanowski will never amount to much in the NHL.


Last edited by Qubax: 07-13-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:31 PM
  #124
JurassicTunga
Registered User
 
JurassicTunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 575
I thought Arnold was very good today. Knows where to be and was creating some good offensive chances.

I'm thinking he can be a good 3rd liner at best. While he probably won't score 50 points or anything in the NHL, at the very least he'll be a solid 4th liner with great shutdown capabilities and good hockey IQ to let him play in the NHL in that position. Also a guy who can chip in some goals and assists.

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:41 PM
  #125
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome
 
Unlimited Chequing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,114
vCash: 5001
Whhhhhhhhhhy did I not know about this?!

I got really excited reading through the thread. It would have been much more exciting watching it!

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.