HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr or Morrow?

View Poll Results: Which one would you take?
Jagr 85 31.02%
Morrow 125 45.62%
Neither 37 13.50%
Both 27 9.85%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Morrow without hesitation.

Look at the B's board for some perspective.

Also, I forgot how much I despise Jagr because of his irrelevancy. He probably doesn't even care anymore its all about the money.
Oh, yeah, you're probably right. That's why, he has kept himself in good enough shape to only miss 12 games over his past 5 NHL seasons combined, and came back to North America for less money. Morrow, on the other hand, has been lucky to put together back-to-back "complete" seasons over the same time frame.

If both Morrow and Jagr are in the NHL next year, I predict someone gets nearly twice as many games from Jagr than someone else gets from Morrow.

As for that "Look at the B's board for some perspective" part... First of all, it's the B's board. Second of all, they just lost the Stanley Cup. Might as well take our PGT's as gospel, then, lol. Always the most rational of discourse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
You realize the guy played a total of 101 games last season, the most for a player in the league, right?
I think you'll find that many (most?) people voting for Morrow over Jagr aren't coming up with much in the way of facts to justify their opinions; just "feelings".

edit: Just noticed the "both" option in the poll. Interesting to think that Jagr and Morrow could both be had for less combined money than DD + Briere. Even last year Jagr+Morrow was "only" $8.65 million, and neither is getting $4 million this year, imo. DD+Briere, on the other hand, played for a combined $7.95 million last year (separate teams, obviously), and will still cost $7.5 million combined for the next couple of years. I would definitely rather have Morrow and Jagr than DD and Briere - especially if I only need the team to remain competitive for a year or two while the youth emerges/develops.

Still can't believe that Briere got bought out of a contract that was set to pay him $3 million next year, and $2 million after that but managed to get one that will pay him $3 million more dollars combined in real salary over the same time frame...

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 07-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
You realize the guy played a total of 101 games last season, the most for a player in the league, right?
That is a good point. I take back what I said.

He did look tired towards the end of the season though...

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Habiton

We only have 700,000 in cap space right now without using the bonus cushion. If Galchenyuk hits his bonuses and we spend more than 700K we will get penalized next season. If we send down someone (as we will almost certainly need to if signing one of the players) we will have 1.5M free. Jagr, at this point, isn't possible unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut which we all know he won't.

Frankly I don't think we can get either but Morrow would be awesome.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:33 AM
boynickname

I would be happy if we signed Jagr or Morrow for 1 year deal. I really do not see anybody down in Hamilton ready to help us this season ( maybe Leblanc)
Injuries always happen so I would rather start the season with 23 proven NHL on the team so the kids in Hamilton have to push there game to a different level to get a spot on the team.

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

One of the reasons I'd rather see Jagr than Morrow in a habs uniform is discipline. Stars fans used to criticize this aspect of Morrow's game.

We can illustrate this if we look at the stats from these past few seasons:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=penalties
2009-10 - 27th in the league for total minor penalties
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20102ALLSASALL&sort=minor Penalties&viewName=penalties
2010-11 - 15th
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=penalties
2011-12 - 11th
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Penalties&pg=2
2012-13 - 46th (with less GP)

With Morrow, we would get a player who will put his team on the PK more often than not (and we already have a couple guys topping that category...)

I'll be happy if we end up signing him, but Morrow seems to have a much "cleaner" reputation for Eastern fans than for those who watched him play with Dallas

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Rexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It has. He still just wants money and it seems Montreal isn't willing to pay him as much as he wants (or as much as other teams would want)

It's the new yearly "Jagr has interest in Montreal... To jack up the offers from other teams"
Yeah but this thread was started yesterday by a Habs fan, so that I was curious whether there hasn't been some new development recently.

I think Jágr has a genuine interest in playing in Montreal, it wouldn't make much sense for him and his agent to keep inquiring about the Habs every summer when there are 29 other teams in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Oh the irony in this post...
I fail to find it but great to see you having fun.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
Yeah but this thread was started yesterday by a Habs fan, so that I was curious whether there hasn't been some new development recently.

I think Jágr has a genuine interest in playing in Montreal, it wouldn't make much sense for him and his agent to keep inquiring about the Habs every summer when there are 29 other teams in the league.
Dobrý den!

Would love to see a Kladno Connection in Montreal

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:07 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Morrow with the kids would be awesome...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Speed over size...yep that worked well against the Sens in the playoffs.
I didn't mention size, and I don't think speed and size are mutually exclusive.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Rexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
Dobrý den!

Would love to see a Kladno Connection in Montreal

Ahoj! (Let's not be overly formal here.)

Kladno connection, eh? Why didn't you keep Kaberle then? j/k

I would love to see Jágr on Plekanec's wing, they really complement each other very well. Though I understand concerns about Jágr's ability to handle Pleky's defensive minutes.

Last edited by Rexor: 07-15-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Toro

morrow for a year or 2
max 3.5 million per

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Toro

Quote:

wrong...

he has been using montreal to get more money out of other locals...

im just not sure he still fits in on this squad as good as morrow.
Last season i was hoping we might have landed jags but not anymore, all he can do is dangle along boards now if he can get there first as he is slow and can not score anymore. In the playoffs i would much rather morrow's abilities as we are thin on those on this roster.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
guest1467

Neither.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I don't want Jagr but still 35pts in 45 games at 41 years old is an impressive accomplishment.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Let me help you. You are calling people (the vast majority, I must say) clueless about hockey for voting for Morrow and in the same breath, you're comparing Morrow/Jagr (at this stage in their career) to Anderson/Gretzky. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:15 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Jagr.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:20 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

You guys need to get bigger + more punishing. Morrow!

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:57 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Jagr.

Morrow would become rapidly useless unless he's put behind the bench.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
29dryden29

Morrow if we are choosing between the two Jagr was terrible in the POs the time you need a guy to shine.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Morrow if we are choosing between the two Jagr was terrible in the POs the time you need a guy to shine.
I don't completely agree on that one. I know that close is not enough, but he could easily scored 3-4 goals with more luck. I remember him hitting the post 2-3 times and goalies have made incredible saves on him

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:20 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I don't completely agree on that one. I know that close is not enough, but he could easily scored 3-4 goals with more luck. I remember him hitting the post 2-3 times and goalies have made incredible saves on him
He needed more luck? I thought skill guys played without luck? Close only counts in horseshoes hand grenades and atom bombs.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:29 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
he looked really good on the ice, he was skating well and hit the post about half a dozen times, but at the end of the day he is judged on his production because that's the kinda player he is and he ended up with 0 goals. I would take either player as long as it's short term and not alot of money

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:09 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Jagr was actually just snake bitten, he controlled the play like he often does at times, he can still do things that morrow will never be able to do.
22 games without scoring a single goal is a little more than snake bit.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
22 games without scoring a single goal is a little more than snake bit.
Spoken like someone who saw very few of the Bruins' playoff games, or at least wasn't watching very closely. If he didn't have the 4th highest amount of shots on their team, that'd be one thing. But he was, and if you go through all the play-by-play sheets you'll see that the majority of his shots on goal were well within 30-40 feet (i.e. good scoring areas). Considering the guy was a 14% shooter over the regular season, and that he still generated all those shots from scoring areas, I think it's more logical to conclude - having seen all the games or not - that it was just one of the more incredible examples of "snake-bitten" that the "common fan" of today can remember.

I also promise you that if you created a highlight clip of all the best saves/nearest misses for each goalie faced by the Bruins in the playoffs, you'd see Jagr featured numerous times. DJ Breadman is right to say that at some level the talent players are held accountable for their (lack of) production, but there are simply too many uninformed armchair pundits around here chalking it up to simply being unable to generate offense and/or produce offensively now that he's 40. Furthermore, there are also those among them expecting bigger things from Morrow, a 13-15 min/night player who generated a whopping 55 shots in 44 regular season games and 9 shots in 14 post season games this year on the Penguins, because he's younger, and think he's worth almost as much in terms of cap investment...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:03 AM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I thought Jagr was really impressive in the playoffs for puck control and playmaking he also could have scored a number of goals didn't miss by much

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote