HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  #1
jhaf1210
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Offer Sheet

Not sure if it has been brought up or not, but would it be worth while to try and sign one of the young RFA forwards to an offer sheet? Like Derek Stepan, Marcus Johansson, or Adam Henrique? Would cost you at most two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd to sign any of them, and gotta think all of their original teams are going to have trouble matching any sort of long term offer. Would probably have to overpay a good bit to get any of them to even consider signing, but you could offset that some by dumping Legwand, Gaustad and/or Fisher's contracts for picks or a veteran defenseman.

jhaf1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
  #2
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
Not sure if it has been brought up or not, but would it be worth while to try and sign one of the young RFA forwards to an offer sheet? Like Derek Stepan, Marcus Johansson, or Adam Henrique? Would cost you at most two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd to sign any of them, and gotta think all of their original teams are going to have trouble matching any sort of long term offer. Would probably have to overpay a good bit to get any of them to even consider signing, but you could offset that some by dumping Legwand, Gaustad and/or Fisher's contracts for picks or a veteran defenseman.
First of all the poile will never do that and second of all unless you throw some really stupid contract offer at one of these guys the team will simply match it. Stepan would be the only one you could have a chance at because of cap issues and he isnt an elite talent anyways. An uPgrade yes but not elite.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:28 PM
  #3
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
First of all the poile will never do that and second of all unless you throw some really stupid contract offer at one of these guys the team will simply match it. Stepan would be the only one you could have a chance at because of cap issues and he isnt an elite talent anyways. An uPgrade yes but not elite.
To add, I don't think we have the cap room to make a major move like that

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:30 PM
  #4
INDhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
Not sure if it has been brought up or not, but would it be worth while to try and sign one of the young RFA forwards to an offer sheet? Like Derek Stepan, Marcus Johansson, or Adam Henrique? Would cost you at most two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd to sign any of them, and gotta think all of their original teams are going to have trouble matching any sort of long term offer. Would probably have to overpay a good bit to get any of them to even consider signing, but you could offset that some by dumping Legwand, Gaustad and/or Fisher's contracts for picks or a veteran defenseman.
After what happened with Weber, Poile would never do that. We could suck again next year and that 1st pick may be more valuable then the player we got.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:49 PM
  #5
jhaf1210
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Yeah I don't think Poile would actually ever do it, just was wondering if it make sense to try. Kind of surprised that it hasn't generated more talk around the league. There are quite a few pretty good RFAs out there and figured someone might take a chance especially with the new compensation scale and the cap going down this year. Maybe the cap going down is what has kept it from happening.

jhaf1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
  #6
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
David Poile is a sheep in sheep's clothing. He would never dish out an offer sheet like that, except against Flyers, because Paul Holmgren is a d***** canoe.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
  #7
jhaf1210
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Been rolling through options for the Preds and have a question about sign and trade deals. You see teams in the NBA do it all the time, and remember it mentioned during Weber's RFA summer and in passing during the CBA negotiations. Haven't poured through the CBA to see if there is anything about it, but goggling didn't turn up much. What made me think of it is, instead of submitting an offer sheet for a player especially one on a team who couldn't match, could you call that GM and say if you sign the RFA to (x) contract I will trade you this package of assets for that player with that contract? Sort of an offer sheet without the offer sheet, and both parties can get more fitting compensation.

jhaf1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:11 AM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
Been rolling through options for the Preds and have a question about sign and trade deals. You see teams in the NBA do it all the time, and remember it mentioned during Weber's RFA summer and in passing during the CBA negotiations. Haven't poured through the CBA to see if there is anything about it, but goggling didn't turn up much. What made me think of it is, instead of submitting an offer sheet for a player especially one on a team who couldn't match, could you call that GM and say if you sign the RFA to (x) contract I will trade you this package of assets for that player with that contract? Sort of an offer sheet without the offer sheet, and both parties can get more fitting compensation.
Happens all the time. Pretty much what happened with Kessel I believe.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  #9
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Happens all the time. Pretty much what happened with Kessel I believe.
I think what happened was the teams looking to trade for kessel (Toronto ans us) were given permission to talk to kessels agent to make sure an extension could be reached and that's what screwed us is either we couldn't match Torontos money or keasel wouldn't agree to sign here for any reasonable amount

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.