HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top 3 years to "tank" ?

View Poll Results: The 3 best years to "tank"
'04,'05,'06 (Ovechkin, Crosby, E. Johnson) 171 55.34%
'05,'06,'07 (Crosby, E. Johnson, P. Kane) 9 2.91%
'06, '07, '08 (E. Johnson, P. Kane, Stamkos) 0 0%
'07, '08, '09 (P. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares) 81 26.21%
'08, '09, '10 (Stamkos, Tavares, Hall) 46 14.89%
'09, '10, '11 (Tavares, Hall, RNH) 0 0%
'10, '11, '12 (Hall, RNH, Yakupov) 1 0.32%
'11, '12, '13 (RNH, Yakupov, MacKinnon) 1 0.32%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
jcarbone

vCash: 500
Top 3 years to "tank" ?

So after watching Edmonton get the 1st overall pick for consecutive years and coming away with Hall, RNH and Yakupov I was wondering what would be the 3 best years to have the 1st overall?

Just going from post lockout era.

And while Edmonton got 3 future studs, if you think 3 different years would of been better to have the 1st overall in, do you think they would of won (or be a close contender for) The Stanley Cup by now?

jcarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:33 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Crosby, Ovechkin, Fleury. AINEC.

After Lockout: Stamkos, Tavares, Hall

You forgot the poll.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:34 AM
StringerBell

2003-2005. Weber, Ovi, Crosby.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:38 AM
jcarbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLD MacT Trade View Post
Crosby, Ovechkin, Fleury. AINEC.

After Lockout: Stamkos, Tavares, Hall

You forgot the poll.
You just replied way to quick before I could get it up lol

Solid answer though, can't argue with either opinion... surprised you don't like Kane, Stamkos Tavares though?
I'm a big Hall fan but thought most would prefer Patty Kane over him, no?

jcarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:41 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarbone View Post
You just replied way to quick before I could get it up lol

Solid answer though, can't argue with either opinion... surprised you don't like Kane, Stamkos Tavares though?
I'm a big Hall fan but thought most would prefer Patty Kane over him, no?
At first I was going to put Kane but Hall's leadership and determination made me choose him. Also I'm a big Homer.

Imagine a line of Hall-Tavares-Stamkos. Would be the best line in the league easily.

Last edited by BOLD MacT Trade: 07-14-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Regal

Crosby and Ovechkin have a combined 4 Hart Trophies, 2 Art Ross Trophies, 5 Ted Lindsay Awards, 4 Richard Trophies, 9 top five point finishes, 8 First Team All Star Selections and 2 Second team All Star Selections (not counting Ovechkin's ridiculous second selection this year). Their resumes completely blow away all the other players combined, and likely will continue to do so. I know Erik Johnson isn't a great player, but this shouldn't be close

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:23 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

All out offense for me..
P.Kane, S. Stamkos, J. Tavares.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:28 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Crosby and Ovechkin have a combined 4 Hart Trophies, 2 Art Ross Trophies, 5 Ted Lindsay Awards, 4 Richard Trophies, 9 top five point finishes, 8 First Team All Star Selections and 2 Second team All Star Selections (not counting Ovechkin's ridiculous second selection this year). Their resumes completely blow away all the other players combined, and likely will continue to do so. I know Erik Johnson isn't a great player, but this shouldn't be close
True but the point totals of Stamkos, Tavares and Hall would probably be more then Crosby and Ovechkin. Also you could have 2 lines with Hall and Stamkos on one and Tavares on the other where as Crosby and Ovie would most likely be on the same line. Eric Johnson is almost a non-factor.

Old
07-14-2013, 05:33 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
Crosby, Ovie and Johnson.

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 05:55 AM
B A T M A N*

Is this a joke poll? Clearly the one with 2 generational talents.

B A T M A N* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:06 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Is this a joke poll? Clearly the one with 2 generational talents.
It seems like an easy decision but if one of the two gets hurt you're in trouble. I still like Stamkos, Hall and Tavares better then Crosby, Ovie and Johnson but it's just personal preference. Don't forget Crosby's concussion history and Ovie's disappearing act for a few years. Plus the difference in age is a factor as well. But clearly Crosby and Ovie are the two best players of the bunch. If Toews could be subbed for Johnson this poll would be meaningless.

Also Ovie could retire and bolt to Russia like Kovy.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Sky04

Quote:
It seems like an easy decision but if one of the two gets hurt you're in trouble. I still like Stamkos, Hall and Tavares better then Crosby, Ovie and Johnson but it's just personal preference. Don't forget Crosby's concussion history and Ovie's disappearing act for a few years. Plus the difference in age is a factor as well. But clearly Crosby and Ovie are the two best players of the bunch. If Toews could be subbed for Johnson this poll would be meaningless.

Also Ovie could retire and bolt to Russia like Kovy.
Let's not forget Tavares scored 54, 67 then finally hit 81 in his first 3 years, Hall has missed 38 games in his first 2 seasons alone and again didn't hit ppg till his 3rd year. Why are you ignoring Hall's injuries and Tavares below average first 2 years yet bring up Ovechkin's down year (which took 7 years to hit him) and Crosby's injuries?

So I guess Hall, Stamkos, Tavares have a combined 5 "disappearing acts"? vs Ovechkin's 1 and Crosby still hasn't had one down season yet.

I'll take the 2 guys who have a combined 8 100 point seasons in their first 5 years vs 3 forwards who have a combined 0.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:29 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Let's not forget Tavares scored 54, 67 then finally hit 81 in his first 3 years, Hall has missed 38 games in his first 2 seasons alone and again didn't hit ppg till his 3rd year. Why are you ignoring Hall's injuries and Tavares below average first 2 years yet bring up Ovechkin's down year (which took 7 years to hit him) and Crosby's injuries?

I'll take the 2 guys who have a combined 8 100 point seasons in their first 5 years vs 3 forwards who have a combined 0.
I'm not ignoring his injuries, it's just Crosby's injuries were more significant and cost him way more games. Also Hall and Tavares are just reaching their primes, we still don't know just how good they're going to be. Hall and Tavares could both be perennial 100 point players still for many years.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Sky04

And if anything I'd go Kane, Stamkos, Tavares over Stamkos, Tavares, Hall.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:36 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
And if anything I'd go Kane, Stamkos, Tavares over Stamkos, Tavares, Hall.
I respect your opinion but I like different players for different reasons.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:43 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Quote:
True but the point totals of Stamkos, Tavares and Hall would probably be more then Crosby and Ovechkin. Also you could have 2 lines with Hall and Stamkos on one and Tavares on the other where as Crosby and Ovie would most likely be on the same line. Eric Johnson is almost a non-factor.
Erik Johnson is a good top four defencemen. Hall, Stamkos and Tavares would probably get more points but when you consider how Crosby and Ovechkin (could not sure about now lol) can anchor a line on their own and make their teammates so much better, it's hard not to go with them.

Chris ****ing Kunitz had more points this year than Tavares and Hall. That's not a shot at them two btw. It just says a lot about Crosby.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Ceremony
Party like it's 1959

vCash: 0
Crosby, E. Johnson, P. Kane

07-14-2013, 06:49 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Erik Johnson is a good top four defencemen. Hall, Stamkos and Tavares would probably get more points but when you consider how Crosby and Ovechkin (could not sure about now lol) can anchor a line on their own and make their teammates so much better, it's hard not to go with them.

Chris ****ing Kunitz had more points this year than Tavares and Hall. That's not a shot at them two btw. It just says a lot about Crosby.
It would be easy to just say Crosby and Ovechkin, but then there's no discussion to be had. I'll take the road less traveled thank you very much.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Sky04

Quote:
I'm not ignoring his injuries, it's just Crosby's injuries were more significant and cost him way more games. Also Hall and Tavares are just reaching their primes, we still don't know just how good they're going to be. Hall and Tavares could both be perennial 100 point players still for many years.
We're taking them from their draft years, Crosby and Ovechkin were 100 point players right off the bat, Tavares and Hall 4/3 years in still aren't at that level.

Why take 2 players who may become 100 point players after 5-7 years in the NHL, when there's 2 instant 100 point players who break that barrier on a yearly basis? Not to mention Ovechkin is a 65 goal scorer and Crosby still hasn't shown what he's fully capable of yet.

Old
07-14-2013, 06:53 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
of the poll options: option 1 AINEC

03 (with the possibility of taking Eric Staal #1 instead of #2), 04, 05 would be even more of a landslide.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:00 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
We're taking them from their draft years at 18, Crosby and Ovechkin were 100 point players right off the bat, Tavares and Hall 4/3 years in still aren't at that level.

Why take 2 players who may become 100 point players after 5-7 years in the NHL, when there's 2 instant 100 point players who break that barrier on a yearly basis? Not to mention Ovechkin is a 65 goal scorer and Crosby still hasn't shown what he's fully capable of yet.
Hey I'm not the only one who choose the Hall, Tavares and Stamkos option. So there's other people who made the same choice as me, there must be a reason for that. And I did say in a post that Crosby and Ovie are the best two players easily, but Eric Johnson is such a non-factor that value wise I would take Hall-Tavares-Stamkos. If all three are 90 point players and Crosby/Ovie are 120 point players, the 3 still have more points. Switch Johnson with Toews or Backstrom and you have a 100% consensus for the 2004-2006 trio.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:30 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Does Erik Johnson still ride the golfcart if he's on a team with Ovi and Sid? Cause otherwise we're talking about a very different Erik Johnson.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Quote:
Hey I'm not the only one who choose the Hall, Tavares and Stamkos option. So there's other people who made the same choice as me, there must be a reason for that. And I did say in a post that Crosby and Ovie are the best two players easily, but Eric Johnson is such a non-factor that value wise I would take Hall-Tavares-Stamkos. If all three are 90 point players and Crosby/Ovie are 120 point players, the 3 still have more points. Switch Johnson with Toews or Backstrom and you have a 100% consensus for the 2004-2006 trio.
Chris friggin Kunitz had more points than Hall and Tavares. Crosby makes his teammates better than anyone else can. Ovie can also anchor a line by himself and makes his teammates bettet. Besides, if you're just going for points why not go with Kane, Stamkos and Tavares?

Old
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Does Erik Johnson still ride the golfcart if he's on a team with Ovi and Sid? Cause otherwise we're talking about a very different Erik Johnson.
I was about to ask this too....

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Jester9881

Ovy/Crosby/Johnson
Kane/Stamkos/Tavares

Everyone else

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote