HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
07-16-2013, 03:04 PM
justheducks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Hiller isn't getting traded any time soon so yes, fifth string. Or are you suggesting that either our prized prospect, someone whom is in the conversation to play in the Olympics or the goalie that was second in the AHL in save percentage and sixth in goals against will play in the ECHL in favor of Babkov? It's pretty effing clear where he stands on the totem pole.

Andersen and Gibson will both be in Norfolk and there's a good chance Hiller plays out his contract. If not, is it too crazy to assume we'll get a goalie prospect in return for the goalie we'd be trading away? It doesn't matter if we let him walk or not. It matters if there's an opportunity to recycle an asset for him because it's very likely, which you pointed out, that he won't be here next season.
I would be shocked if Hiller plays out his contract and quite frankly I hope he doesn't. If we can get anything of value for him I think we should trade him at the deadline.
Hopefully a team at the top of the East gets in goalie trouble and overpays for him and we end up with a 1st or 2nd for him as a rental. Open the door for Fasth as #1 until Gibson comes in 2014.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
It's amazing how quickly people can turn on a player.

07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
TooHotToTrotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Agreed. Same thing is happening with Sbisa and some fans.

Hiller is a fine goalie and will perform decently enough for us. Bobkov is still very young and could turn into an NHL goalie. No need to move a player just for the sake of moving a player.

TooHotToTrotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:37 PM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry (new old kid line)
Silfverberg-Bonino-Palmieri (wicked release line)
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano (shutdown line)
Beleskey-Rakell-Etem (a bit of everything line)
Very close, but Rakell is not going to start in the NHL this year. My 85% correct, un challengable, prediction machine said he is going to be in the AHL.

Put Holland or Laginierre as the 4th line center.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I would be shocked if Hiller plays out his contract and quite frankly I hope he doesn't. If we can get anything of value for him I think we should trade him at the deadline.
Hopefully a team at the top of the East gets in goalie trouble and overpays for him and we end up with a 1st or 2nd for him as a rental. Open the door for Fasth as #1 until Gibson comes in 2014.
I want to see Fasth take the reins as much as the next guy but we can't hand him the keys just yet. Hiller has to play himself out of that position and Fasth has to prove he can take it from him. I think the most likely scenario is Hiller plays out his contract or at least gets dealt at the deadline. I can't imagine it would happen sooner.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Force951

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
Very close, but Rakell is not going to start in the NHL this year. My 85% correct, un challengable, prediction machine said he is going to be in the AHL.

Put Holland or Laginierre as the 4th line center.
They want Holland to be top 6 guy, they don't want him on the 4th line. I could be wrong but didn't Maroon play a game or 2 at center last year? Maybe they try that out again for a little while.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:46 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
But this isn't really about him. It's about the collective's notion that we have to hold onto these players for dear life until no one else wants them and they become a wasted asset. There is plenty of value in trading good prospects and we should trade him while someone still views him as such. No one does probably which makes this whole argument moot. But assuming someone does he'll be more useful to this organization fetching another asset rather than being the starter for some ECHL team. Someone like Mat Clark needs a similar evaluation as well.
You're right about the general situation, but the reality is that I don't think Bobkov has any trade value. What could we get for him? Like a 6th round pick?

When trading him is worth that little then what's the point? Might as well keep him in case he explodes.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:50 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

I'm fairly certain Laganiere isn't a center, despite it being listed just about everywhere. So people can stop penciling him in there. And Holland won't play on the fourth line, we know that.

Brings up a good question, though: if both Rakell and Holland don't cut it out as the second line center, who centers the fourth line? Does Rakell really slip in there, as a rookie, or do they have a backup plan?

The Mighty Duck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Why do people think Holland and/or Rakell will be at the 2C over Bonino? Neither has been anywhere as good, and producing at 0.5 PPG is hardly a reason to demote him to the 4th line in a contract year. BB was very high on him at the open house.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Why do people think Holland and/or Rakell will be at the 2C over Bonino? Neither has been anywhere as good, and producing at 0.5 PPG is hardly a reason to demote him to the 4th line in a contract year. BB was very high on him at the open house.
I think they can, at some point, become better options than Bonino... but right now? Bonino had a very good season for us, and I loved the way he played. He hounded the puck, made intelligent plays, and I genuinely felt like we were a better team with him. Not to mention his play on the PP, which was pretty fantastic. I'd be comfortable going into the season with him as our #2 center. It's the wingers that I'm unsure about, because I don't think we can afford to have Selanne come back and not get it done at even strength.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
You're right about the general situation, but the reality is that I don't think Bobkov has any trade value. What could we get for him? Like a 6th round pick?

When trading him is worth that little then what's the point? Might as well keep him in case he explodes.
A sixth round pick is still better than letting a former third round pick walk. You're probably right about his value. I'm on the hopeful side that there's someone out there that would want him.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:49 PM
AnaheimDucks91

Where do you project penner to fill?
Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Etem
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Palmeri - Rakell - Selanne
Forgot about Belesky... Do you think this is a sign Teemu is hanging them up??
I feel if Penner can't make it on our top line he gets shifted to our 3rd/4th line.
I really like that 2nd line of ours. Bonino played well for us in the playoffs and I feel he can easily fill our 2nd line C

AnaheimDucks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:51 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks91 View Post
Where do you project penner to fill?
Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Etem
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Palmeri - Rakell - Selanne

I feel if Penner can't make it on our top line he gets shifted to our 3rd/4th line.
I really like that 2nd line of ours. Bonino played well for us in the playoffs and I feel he can easily fill our 2nd line C
Swap Silfverberg and Etem, Penner and Palmieri and Teemu is not coming back to be a fourth liner. The writing is on the wall and I fully expect to be at a jersey banner ceremony this year.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
A sixth round pick is still better than letting a former third round pick walk. You're probably right about his value. I'm on the hopeful side that there's someone out there that would want him.
A 6th may be better than letting him walk. But there's also the minute chance that he greatly improves and becomes worth keeping. You think that chance is nil, I also think that chance is nil. But it's still worth something.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
I think they can, at some point, become better options than Bonino... but right now? Bonino had a very good season for us, and I loved the way he played. He hounded the puck, made intelligent plays, and I genuinely felt like we were a better team with him. Not to mention his play on the PP, which was pretty fantastic. I'd be comfortable going into the season with him as our #2 center. It's the wingers that I'm unsure about, because I don't think we can afford to have Selanne come back and not get it done at even strength.
Yeah, I agree about in the future, I think Holland may have a higher offensive upside, but I'll be happy if Rakell is as good as Bonino. The thought that Holland and Rakell should be better than last year is accurate, but hopefully the same holds true for Bonino.

No clue who the wings will be. For all the players we have there's a lot of questionable chemistry.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:19 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
Sooo we still have to sign RFA Palmieri. Which I am sure will be a deserved one-way contract. So based on 1-way contracts :

Centers : Getzlaf, Bonino, Koivu
Left Wing : Penner, Beleskey, Cogliano, Holland
Right Wing : Perry, Palmieri, Winnik, Selanne (maybe), Staubitz

People need to fight out these players for a spot. As fun as placing people in positions...I think we may see a trade or two. In any case I am going to wait till training camp to start penciling people into spots...which can't come soon enough! I need my fix man!!!!

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:19 PM
defer

There's no way RR or PH will start at 2C imo, even if they have good preseasons. They'll have to fight their way there.

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
There's no way RR or PH will start at 2C imo, even if they have good preseasons. They'll have to fight their way there.
Agreed (I hope)

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Swap Silfverberg and Etem, Penner and Palmieri and Teemu is not coming back to be a fourth liner. The writing is on the wall and I fully expect to be at a jersey banner ceremony this year.
Why would you swap Silfberberg and Etem. Silf is a LW and Etem is a RW. Makes sense to keep them in those positions if they play on the same line.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
There are just too many guys. Training camp is really going to be interesting and intense this year.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 08:45 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Why would you swap Silfberberg and Etem. Silf is a LW and Etem is a RW. Makes sense to keep them in those positions if they play on the same line.
Silfverberg (please stop calling him Slif) is a right wing and Etem is better on the left side.

Old
07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Silfverberg (please stop calling him Slif) is a right wing and Etem is better on the left side.
It's easier to type on a phone which autocorrects everything.

Boudreau was quoted last season sayin etem is much better playing his off wing. He also played palmieri who is a natural rw at lw when he and etem were on the same line. Silfverberg (happy?) played most of last year at lw according to sens fans

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Hiller isn't getting traded any time soon so yes, fifth string. Or are you suggesting that either our prized prospect, someone whom is in the conversation to play in the Olympics or the goalie that was second in the AHL in save percentage and sixth in goals against will play in the ECHL in favor of Babkov? It's pretty effing clear where he stands on the totem pole.
Well, those things clearly never change. Who is in the conversation to play in the Olympics?

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. Cousineau was a wasted asset. But he was a lesser prospect so I never had any delusion that he could fetch any kind of return. I think Bobkov can but he probably won't so he'll most likely go the same route this time next year.
Your premise is just incorrect. Teams do not always get something for their draft picks or prospects. Though I like how you just completely overlook that there is nothing strange about that situation.

'Wasted assets' is a childish assumption of how the world works.

Quote:
Excuse me, two and a HALF years. He was drafted in 2005 and played in the 2007-2008 season. Quick is an exceptional goaltender and he doesn't compare to Bobkov at all.
I like how you clearly have no idea what happened during that third year. Take a look at all of the goalies that played in LA.

Quote:
But that's beside the point. It's been four years since he was drafted. He's played in parts of three years in the AHL. He had to play an overage season in the OHL because we had better goalies in the system.
Four years since he was drafted and he's not dominating? Shocking revelations.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:26 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Just saw the Kings traded for Carcillo...Ugh, that's bad news.

After the Stoll event, and what BM said at the open house, and now this; all of Maroon, Beleskey, Staubitz, and Penner should be playing against LA.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
After watching the way that Fasth carried us in the second half of the season, can you blame them?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote