HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2013, 11:41 PM
  #101
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Silfverberg (please stop calling him Slif) is a right wing and Etem is better on the left side.
Jakob, is that you?

And when is the last time Etem played LW full time? Seriously asking because he didn't play LW with Anaheim or Medicine Hat and only played LW sometimes in Norfolk when Maroon was recalled because of our lack of AHL top 6 LWs at the time.

Silf plays both wings (BM mentioned that on July 5th and likes the flexibility).


Last edited by duxfan8: 07-16-2013 at 11:57 PM.
duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:51 PM
  #102
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
Agreed. Same thing is happening with Sbisa and some fans.
Not producing in the NHL is a hell of a lot worse than not producing in the AHL or ECHL. With Sbisa, fans got upset because he looked promising two years ago, and last year he looked lost. He is still very young though. I understand the anger, but he should still become better with age, although if he doesn't he still has trade value.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
  #103
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Why do people think Holland and/or Rakell will be at the 2C over Bonino? Neither has been anywhere as good, and producing at 0.5 PPG is hardly a reason to demote him to the 4th line in a contract year. BB was very high on him at the open house.
Upside. That's all. It seems to most fans (including me) that Bones will be a great 3rd liner, but not quite the second liner we need

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
  #104
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
Brings up a good question, though: if both Rakell and Holland don't cut it out as the second line center, who centers the fourth line? Does Rakell really slip in there, as a rookie, or do they have a backup plan?
I'd think we would sign a veteran center if that happens. There are bound to be cheap FAs available, or cheap trade targets

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:02 AM
  #105
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Your premise is just incorrect. Teams do not always get something for their draft picks or prospects. Though I like how you just completely overlook that there is nothing strange about that situation.
We also just let a former 3rd rounder walk in Brittain (probably top 10 worst draft pick in Ducks history). Guy was garbage with no NHL upside. Bob was, at one point, our best goalie prospect. I doubt we will completely give up on him and deal him during the season, but in a crowded depth chart he will have to play himself into the lineup during the next two seasons or be subject to release/trade

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
  #106
Old Man Barking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Duxfan8, not being a jerk, but you can do multi quote that way all your quotes are in one post. Just an FYI.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:09 AM
  #107
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
Duxfan8, not being a jerk, but you can do multi quote that way all your quotes are in one post. Just an FYI.
He may be on a fun and its a pain in the ass to multi quote on a phone.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:28 AM
  #108
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
I'm on a fun all the time.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:30 AM
  #109
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Upside. That's all. It seems to most fans (including me) that Bones will be a great 3rd liner, but not quite the second liner we need
Long term I can see that. For this year, it would take a major miracle for either to actually be better than Bonino, based on where they were last year. It's poor coaching to demote Bonino so an unproven player can hopefully find his game.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
  #110
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
We also just let a former 3rd rounder walk in Brittain (probably top 10 worst draft pick in Ducks history). Guy was garbage with no NHL upside. Bob was, at one point, our best goalie prospect. I doubt we will completely give up on him and deal him during the season, but in a crowded depth chart he will have to play himself into the lineup during the next two seasons or be subject to release/trade
If someone needs a further example to hammer home the point. Nashville just released Blum to free agency. David Poille is a great gm, and if 'recycling your assets' were a real thing, he would have done it.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
  #111
duxfan8
Registered User
 
duxfan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
Duxfan8, not being a jerk, but you can do multi quote that way all your quotes are in one post. Just an FYI.
Haha thanks. I always hate it when I read a bunch of comments and reply to a bunch before anyone else posts. I guess I'll finally have to learn how to properly use the multi-quote button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Long term I can see that. For this year, it would take a major miracle for either to actually be better than Bonino, based on where they were last year. It's poor coaching to demote Bonino so an unproven player can hopefully find his game.
This is also a very good point. I believe this too, but if Holland or Rakell can gain chemistry with whoever is going to be on the second line, we can afford to at least try him there for awhile with Bonino on the 4th line, plus PP and PK. I think this season's team will be different in that the 4th line will not be getting 5-8 minutes a night. With the amount of quality forwards we have, we'll have to spread time more evenly (besides the first line, of course). I wouldn't be surprised if our 1,2 and 4 line were considered "offensive minded" lines this year with the fourth being more youthful, yet still defensively responsible. We've tried the 3 scoring lines before with our 3rd line being completely defensive first, and it didn't really work. Maybe now with a full arsenal, BB can compose of better lines that spread offense and TOI.


Last edited by duxfan8: 07-17-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: See what I did there? :)
duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:40 AM
  #112
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 18,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's amazing how quickly people can turn on a player.
It shouldn't be that amazing given what has gone on in here in the last 18 or so months ....

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:14 AM
  #113
Chelle
Registered User
 
Chelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Silfverberg (please stop calling him Slif) is a right wing and Etem is better on the left side.
Etem looks better on the RW and Silfverberg has played LW most of his Career.

Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
  #114
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'm on a fun all the time.
I am, too. Well, sometimes.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
  #115
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Well, those things clearly never change. Who is in the conversation to play in the Olympics?
Gibson. Burke was interviewed at the draft and mentioned him when talking about Team USA goalies.


Quote:
Your premise is just incorrect. Teams do not always get something for their draft picks or prospects. Though I like how you just completely overlook that there is nothing strange about that situation.

'Wasted assets' is a childish assumption of how the world works.
A draft pick is an asset. A player picked with said draft pick is an asset. Said player never playing a game and never traded is a wasted asset. I know there is nothing strange about this situation. I would just like to maximize our assets. I'm totally anticipating nothing happening. This is me playing GM like all of us do. But I'm glad I'm amusing you.


Quote:
I like how you clearly have no idea what happened during that third year. Take a look at all of the goalies that played in LA.
Did he or did he not play in that season? And has Bobkov played a game yet? Who gives a **** how many other goalies played that year? I can't believe we're still comparing this kid to Veszna winner.


Quote:
Four years since he was drafted and he's not dominating? Shocking revelations.
It's been four years and he continues to move down the depth chart. Study the development pattern of our prospects. After four years if a player isn't knocking on the door they never make it. At least not for us. We're lucky to get one quality player out of each draft.

I don't know what I said originally to annoy so bad because you're just going to disagree with everything I say so I might as well point out Bobkov plays ice hockey. But I'm done debating about a marginal prospect just so we can have a pissing contest. Bobkov doesn't matter. He's one of countless prospects who come and go. I'd just like to see us recoup as much value from each of them as we can.

I apologize to everyone else for having to skip over all this drivel.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:04 AM
  #116
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Etem looks better on the RW and Silfverberg has played LW most of his Career.
That's a matter of opinion on Etem but everything I've found says Silfverberg is a right winger. It's just seems strange to have a lefty shot on the right side and a righty on the left.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:14 AM
  #117
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
That's a matter of opinion on Etem but everything I've found says Silfverberg is a right winger. It's just seems strange to have a lefty shot on the right side and a righty on the left.
No it isn't. It is very normal.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:20 AM
  #118
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Jakob, is that you?

And when is the last time Etem played LW full time? Seriously asking because he didn't play LW with Anaheim or Medicine Hat and only played LW sometimes in Norfolk when Maroon was recalled because of our lack of AHL top 6 LWs at the time.

Silf plays both wings (BM mentioned that on July 5th and likes the flexibility).
I remember him scoring a lot of goals in Medicina Hat from the left side. I didn`t watch all the games, just some highlights. His first NHL goal came from left side too. I`m sure he pretty often plays (or can play) LW

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  #119
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
No it isn't. It is very normal.
I can't remember a line on this team with that dynamic since Chistov and Thomas in '03.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  #120
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
So, who scores more goals this season?

Penner?

Or Fowler?

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  #121
jeffl97
Registered User
 
jeffl97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Would be nice to add Clifford into the mix, but don't see any open spots for him with the Penner signing. I think our forwards are all set unless we decide to sign a 4th line C. I feel like Selanne's not coming back.

Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Silfverberg - Bonino - Palmieri
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Beleskey - xx - Etem
Holland, Staubitz

Then we still need to ship out one of Allen/Souray and re-sign Lydman

Fowler - Beauchemin
Souray - Lydman
Sbisa - Lovejoy
Vatanen

Can't see us trading Hiller unless we start the season with Fasth as the starter and he continues to excel. If he regresses then I think we need Hiller to rely on. Unless we can maximize value on him now, then you gotta go for it.

Fasth
Hiller

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
  #122
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
So, who scores more goals this season?

Penner?

Or Fowler?
IMO Penner. I actually think he has a good year with Getz and Perry and hits at least 20.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  #123
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Gibson. Burke was interviewed at the draft and mentioned him when talking about Team USA goalies.
Burke did not say that he was in that conversation. Duthie mistook his comment to mean that and Burke clarified that he was talking about the future.

Quote:
A draft pick is an asset. A player picked with said draft pick is an asset. Said player never playing a game and never traded is a wasted asset. I know there is nothing strange about this situation. I would just like to maximize our assets. I'm totally anticipating nothing happening. This is me playing GM like all of us do. But I'm glad I'm amusing you.
An asset is what they become after development. Right now, he's a future. One is tangible and the other is speculative.

Quote:
Did he or did he not play in that season? And has Bobkov played a game yet? Who gives a **** how many other goalies played that year? I can't believe we're still comparing this kid to Veszna winner.
Everyone with a pulse played a game for them that year.

Quote:
It's been four years and he continues to move down the depth chart. Study the development pattern of our prospects. After four years if a player isn't knocking on the door they never make it. At least not for us. We're lucky to get one quality player out of each draft.
Clearly, teams will want to trade for him, then.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  #124
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust
 
TheJoeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
An asset is what they become after development. Right now, he's a future. One is tangible and the other is speculative.
as·set [as-et]
noun
1.
a useful and desirable thing or quality: "Organizational ability is an asset."
2.
a single item of ownership having exchange value.

So by your rationale Bryan Murray used one asset and two vague, speculative entities to acquire Bobby Ryan. A draft pick, a prospect, a minor leaguer, a player on your roster and cap space are all assets used to improve your team.

I'm totally done with this though I'm very much looking forward to see how you try to convince me I'm still not getting it.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  #125
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I can't remember a line on this team with that dynamic since Chistov and Thomas in '03.
My main point was, it isn't unusual for players to play on their off-wing. That is very normal, some guys simply work better there.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.