HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part X : Better Than 90% of Roster/Trade/Etc Threads

Old
07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
as·set [as-et]
noun
a useful and desirable thing or quality: "Organizational ability is an asset."
a single item of ownership having exchange value.

So by your rationale Bryan Murray used one asset and two vague, speculative entities to acquire Bobby Ryan. A draft pick, a prospect, a minor leaguer, a player on your roster and cap space are all assets used to improve your team.
By my rationale? Are you now playing dumb as to what a 'future' means? Yes, we received two futures as part of the return for Bobby Ryan.

Quote:
I'm totally done with this though I'm very much looking forward to see how you try to convince me I'm still not getting it.
So you keep saying.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
My main point was, it isn't unusual for players to play on their off-wing. That is very normal, some guys simply work better there.
Personally I prefer a player with Etem's speed to receive a pass on the rush on his forehand. I feel like that has been one of the main problems with the Big Line is they always have a righty on the left side. There's just too many backhand passes going on and that bugs me.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Gibson was not being discussed as a realistic possibility for the 2014 Olympics. Burke was talking about the future, and how USA Hockey thinks they might have something special in Gibson.

07-17-2013, 03:20 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
By my rationale? Are you now playing dumb as to what a 'future' means? Yes, we received two futures as part of the return for Bobby Ryan.
Say you want this cool thing I have, like a skateboard. You want to give me fruit because you have fruit to trade. Well you have a whole bunch of oranges and some seeds for more oranges and maybe even apples. I can't eat those seeds but I like the idea of all the fruit I'll have when they grow into trees. I agree and give you my skateboard which I've nicknamed Bobby Ryan in exchange for the oranges that I can eat right now and the seeds I plan to sow and grow into more delicious fruit. Of course I could totally botch planting those seeds and get no extra fruit but I'm willing to give it a try. But now you have a new skateboard which you feel was well worth the fruit and seeds you used to have.

It doesn't matter if you offer someone a back rub as long as they accept that in exchange for a player that back rub is an asset. I don't care how that asset fits in your plans, that's completely beside the point. The point is you have this thing and you want this other thing so you trade your thing to get that thing. I know exactly what a future means, you clearly have no idea what an asset means.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Gibson was not being discussed as a realistic possibility for the 2014 Olympics. Burke was talking about the future, and how USA Hockey thinks they might have something special in Gibson.
They were talking about Sochi. He was totally speculating but they were talking about Gibson and these Olympics. Now I'm not naive enough to believe they will seriously consider him but he's clearly been part of their discussions.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
They were talking about Sochi. He was totally speculating but they were talking about Gibson and these Olympics. Now I'm not naive enough to believe they will seriously consider him but he's clearly been part of their discussions.
I heard the same discussion that you did, and they weren't talking about Sochi in regards to Gibson.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 03:29 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
I heard the same discussion that you did, and they weren't talking about Sochi in regards to Gibson.
Duthie asked Burke about the goalie situation for Sochi and he brought up Gibson. They were talking about the Olympics, why would he bring up Gibson? If you can find video that proves me wrong I will gladly eat crow but that's what was said.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Duthie asked Burke about the goalie situation for Sochi and he brought up Gibson. They were talking about the Olympics, why would he bring up Gibson? If you can find video that proves me wrong I will gladly eat crow but that's what was said.
Burke was just bragging about Gibson.

Old
07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
He actually kind of was. He was asked about the starting goalie for Sochi, and while he said that would be up to the GM, he immediately brought up Gibson. Yes, he did say he's an up and comer, but he refused to rule him out, which he easily could have. He was talking about their goaltending depth, and the future obviously, but when the discussion was about Sochi, he probably didn't need to bring up Gibson at all.

I don't think it'll happen, but they did take a very inexperienced goalie in Quick last go round. The third goalie's a guy who should never play, so if they view him as the future, I could see them do that. But, again, I doubt it.

The Mighty Duck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Say you want this cool thing I have, like a skateboard. You want to give me fruit because you have fruit to trade. Well you have a whole bunch of oranges and some seeds for more oranges and maybe even apples. I can't eat those seeds but I like the idea of all the fruit I'll have when they grow into trees. I agree and give you my skateboard which I've nicknamed Bobby Ryan in exchange for the oranges that I can eat right now and the seeds I plan to sow and grow into more delicious fruit. Of course I could totally botch planting those seeds and get no extra fruit but I'm willing to give it a try. But now you have a new skateboard which you feel was well worth the fruit and seeds you used to have.

It doesn't matter if you offer someone a back rub as long as they accept that in exchange for a player that back rub is an asset. I don't care how that asset fits in your plans, that's completely beside the point. The point is you have this thing and you want this other thing so you trade your thing to get that thing. I know exactly what a future means, you clearly have no idea what an asset means.
I think you left out the part where you state that you're not going to respond anymore. You should have kept your word the first two times.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

The announcer specifically asked (with an incredulous tone) if they were talking about Gibson for THIS Olympics, and Burke said he would have to perform in a professional league first. So while he didn't absolutely rule him out, he wasn't in any way saying Gibson was a likely addition to the USA team at Sochi.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Exit Dose

It's also important to note that Burke has no power over who gets to go, something he mentioned earlier in the interview.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion on Etem but everything I've found says Silfverberg is a right winger. It's just seems strange to have a lefty shot on the right side and a righty on the left.
Right hand shots that play LW:
Vanek, Whitney, Ryan (might move to RW now he's on the Sens), Ovechkin (until this year), Perron, Sharp, Lupul, Umberger etc.

Left hand shots that play RW:
St. Louis, Jagr, Kane, Neal Voracek, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat, Vrbata, Erat etc.

Guys like Nash, Heatley and Kovalchuk have all played a substantial portion of their careers on their off wing also. It's far more common for a LHS to play RW than it is vice versa. Which is why historically the NHL has been full of great RWs and has had less great LWs.

I agree it's a matter of opinion but BB himself has the opinion that Etem is better on the right. I can dig up the quotes from him if you really want.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:15 PM
The Duck Knight
"RC has changed"

It's not even that important anyways whether a guy is labeled a RW or LW. A vast majority play both positions throughout there career. If a player is good enough they'll find a way to be successful wherever they're put.

Pretty much the only guys out of that list who stuck with one position are Jagr, St. Louis, and Vanek. The rest of the have played at times either on the opposite wing or center.

BTW Vrbata is righty and Umberger's a lefty.

The Duck Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
BTW Vrbata is righty and Umberger's a lefty.
Yeah you're right - was reading random names off nhl.com and probably got a couple of guys wrong.

Most guys will play both but most will also prefer (and play better on) a certain side. It does make a difference - not only what side you receive the puck on but also breaking out - most players will prefer turning/pivoting on a particular side as they're slightly better at it.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

At the open house, they specifically said Silfverberg was capable of playing all three forward positions.

Old
07-18-2013, 12:13 AM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I remember him scoring a lot of goals in Medicina Hat from the left side. I didn`t watch all the games, just some highlights. His first NHL goal came from left side too. I`m sure he pretty often plays (or can play) LW
Shinkaruk was on the top line with him as a LW in Medicine Hat.

duxfan8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 12:16 AM
duxfan8

Quote:
Here's the video, for everyone to watch and interpret.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rKH4yWEuQA

Sorry, I can't embed it for some reason

Old
07-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Koffein

Quote:
I can second he was talking about Sochi. He said they had some younger guys that's coming up that could challenge for a spot and when asked who by Duthie, Burke mentioned our special Gibson.

EDIT: Sorry, was a bit late with this response. Have to learn to press F5 before replying when coming home after work.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
At the open house, they specifically said Silfverberg was capable of playing all three forward positions.
Just like Ryan was capable of playing all three forward positions?

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I've only seen him in two playoff games, I have no idea. I'm just repeating what they said.

Old
07-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 7-3-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
ha ha yes.

Even if he can play center, he is not our answer in the facoff circle. 5 of 13 faceoffs last year.

Kalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Exit Dose

Nvm.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
I can second he was talking about Sochi. He said they had some younger guys that's coming up that could challenge for a spot and when asked who by Duthie, Burke mentioned our special Gibson.

EDIT: Sorry, was a bit late with this response. Have to learn to press F5 before replying when coming home after work.
Burke was referencing the future with Gibson, pointing out that USA Hockey thinks he could be pretty special. He might have left the door open for the possibility, but you don't bring up professional experience and somehow expect a couple months of AHL hockey to be enough.

I'm not saying he won't get an invite to the Summer camp, because I expect that he will, but I'm not sure you appreciate just how big a risk it would be for USA Hockey to go with him as even the 3rd goaltender. What happens if one of their goalies get injured? You want to go into the biggest international tournament in the hockey world with a goaltender who will have had a couple of months of AHL hockey? The US has Quick, Miller, Schneider, Howard, and Anderson. I think Gibson might be the best goaltending prospect in the world, but I wouldn't take him over any of those goalies right now.

Saying the US thinks highly of Gibson isn't the same as saying he'll be a real consideration for Sochi.

Old
07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Burke was referencing the future with Gibson, pointing out that USA Hockey thinks he could be pretty special. He might have left the door open for the possibility, but you don't bring up professional experience and somehow expect a couple months of AHL hockey to be enough.

I'm not saying he won't get an invite to the Summer camp, because I expect that he will, but I'm not sure you appreciate just how big a risk it would be for USA Hockey to go with him as even the 3rd goaltender. What happens if one of their goalies get injured? You want to go into the biggest international tournament in the hockey world with a goaltender who will have had a couple of months of AHL hockey? The US has Quick, Miller, Schneider, Howard, and Anderson. I think Gibson might be the best goaltending prospect in the world, but I wouldn't take him over any of those goalies right now.

Saying the US thinks highly of Gibson isn't the same as saying he'll be a real consideration for Sochi.
Yeah, they are definitely setting up the foundation for their future. He should go to camp, and unless there are injuries or other surprises, he should be a go for 2018. I doubt he'd be there in 2014, but stranger things have happened.