HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: To Alcohol! The Cause of & Solution To All of Life's Problems

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2013, 12:51 AM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Yeah, but, like, you live in LA. Regular Satan-fearing, metal-loving people don't live there.

Metal in some form is pretty popular right now (there's pretty much always been some form of metal that's popular), even though at this point a good amount of what gets exposure as metal is mixed with so many other styles that it's barely recognizable. Even older bands are charting higher than ever. I think it's something that, with the exception of so-called hipster metal, a lot of people in their 20s or so tend not to be super obvious metal fans. I keep my hair long, for instance, but except for the occasions I have a band shirt on, you'd never really get a read on the fact that I like metal. Plus I like a bunch of other stuff, so I can carry on a conversation about music with someone without revealing that the last five records I listened to were all death metal.
Love hard rock and heavy metal, but I just can't do cookie monster vocals. I tried, gave it a shot for a while, but it just didn't speak to me.

The great thing in metal music is the technical mastery of the instruments many of the musicians display. New and old. You have to be impressed with that talent.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:03 AM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

Never got into Modest Mouse (Some of this has to do with this annoying guy in class that was always acting like Modest Mouse and OAR were the greatest bands that were ever created. I think this put me off of both.). Enjoy Pavement though.

I've always listened to a pretty wide variety of music, since as far back as I can remember. I like to shuffle my 42,000+ songs just to see reactions of everyone around me.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:04 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Never got into Modest Mouse (Some of this has to do with this annoying guy in class that was always acting like Modest Mouse and OAR were the greatest bands that were ever created. I think this put me off of both.). Enjoy Pavement though.

I've always listened to a pretty wide variety of music, since as far back as I can remember. I like to shuffle my 42,000+ songs just to see reactions of everyone around me.
How many of those 42,000+ did you actually pay for? Damn!

Old
07-20-2013, 01:17 AM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
How many of those 42,000+ did you actually pay for? Damn!
Pretty much all, one way or another. Lots of rips from cds I've gotten really cheap, Amazon mp3 also runs some really good prices every now and then.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 07-20-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old
07-20-2013, 01:25 AM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

I've always wondered what the appeal of those Kidz Bop albums (they just released the 24th in the series...) is. When I was a kid, I would have been pissed to get one of those watered down cover albums.

Old
07-20-2013, 04:13 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
When Aqua was big I was really into Nirvana. I was the coolest kid in fifth grade.
I was in 4th grade when Aqua were huge.

Back then I had just discovered (more of) Pantera, Alice in Chains, Venom, and Slayer.

Therefore I was cooler than you.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
damn I thought my mp3 collection was good at like 8,000 songs. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like music though.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:18 AM
invictus

Quote:
Pretty much all, one way or another. Lots of rips from cds I've gotten really cheap, Amazon mp3 also runs some really good prices every now and then.
Dang, even if they were only a quarter a piece, that is over $10,000, lol. You be ballin'

Old
07-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
Quote:
I've always wondered what the appeal of those Kidz Bop albums (they just released the 24th in the series...) is. When I was a kid, I would have been pissed to get one of those watered down cover albums.
They're all pretty insulting to music and musicians everywhere.

Old
07-20-2013, 06:41 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
They're all pretty insulting to music and musicians everywhere.
Won't someone please think of the child musicians.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:47 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Interview with Dan Harmon.

http://tvline.com/2013/07/20/communi...eo-dan-harmon/

Old
07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

So the steam summer sale hit as soon as I got my bonus for my summer job. Bought 23 games for like 60 bucks total. If I talk about buying a new game anytime soon, tell me to stop

Old
07-22-2013, 02:57 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
So the steam summer sale hit as soon as I got my bonus for my summer job. Bought 23 games for like 60 bucks total. If I talk about buying a new game anytime soon, tell me to stop
23? Jesus, man. Could you even beat all those in 2 years? lol

Old
07-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
23? Jesus, man. Could you even beat all those in 2 years? lol
a lot of them are pretty short indie type games or things like roller coaster tycoon that you don't really "beat"

Old
07-22-2013, 03:41 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

I need to take a look at those sales sometime. I just haven't played pc games in....a decade.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I need to take a look at those sales sometime. I just haven't played pc games in....a decade.
if I'm not playing with other people in the same room I'll take PC games over consoles every time.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
So, the Duchess of Cambridge had her child. Future King.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Old
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

It actually amazes me though how much the American news media seem to care about it.

In another subject completely different. I'm likely going to Pittsburgh for about a week in October. What things are there to do? I've got a list of a few things;

Museum of Natural History
Mount Washington
Pittzburgh Zoo
USS Requin
Station Square
Fort Pitt Museum
Market Square
Sports Museum
Primanti Bro's.
National Aviary

Any other Civil War stuff nearby? Any suggestions welcome.

Old
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Randy Butternubs
Not a User

vCash: 2341
I've been listening to a lot of My Morning Jacket recently.

Old
07-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I've been listening to a lot of My Morning Jacket recently.
i like the album with a stuffed-bear on the cover. i have a feeling that they've gone away from that reverb-heavy brand of alt-country over the last few years, but i haven't really followed their career closely.

Old
07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I actually really dig their latest album Circuital. The first 2 tracks, "Victory Dance" and the title track are some epic jams.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Wal-Mart has just as high quality produce, etc. as other places, if you saw what comes into and out of the DC's, you'd know. The difference comes with individual store execution. Some stores don't do as well as others at getting the fresh items from the back out to the aisle. Go to a well run store and it'll open your eyes.

WM's business practices aren't any worse than any other major retailer, they are just the biggest and under the biggest microscope. They've done a great job with sustainability over the past few years.
I'll agree to disagree. I work at Whole Foods which is a major retailer and our food quality and standards are night and day from WalMart. It's really not close at all.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Mischa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

It actually amazes me though how much the American news media seem to care about it.

In another subject completely different. I'm likely going to Pittsburgh for about a week in October. What things are there to do? I've got a list of a few things;

Mount Washington
Pittzburgh Zoo
USS Requin
Station Square
Fort Pitt Museum
Market Square
Sports Museum
Primanti Bro's.
National Aviary

There isn't much from the civil war around here since it wasn't fought here much. You can see a bunch of French and Indian War and some War of 1812 stuff though.

If you are willing to a bit farther than the city I know there's Fort Ligonier southeast and if you are there on Oct. 11-13 they have the Ligonier Days reenactments going on. While you are out there you could see Falling Water, Frank Lloyd Wright's vacation house, which was built on top of a stream. The area's good for nature and you could go to places like Ohiopyle for hiking or canoeing/kyaking. There's also the Flight 93 Memorial if you want to see more recent history and the Johnstown Flood Memorial which if I recall had a good bit of land in the park and had a number of historical buildings. The Seven Springs and Hidden resorts are also out there but I'm not sure if they have anything at that time. There's also Nemacolin which is an upper class resort though i'm not sure what they have that's cheap.

A little more south is Fort Necessity which I believe I went to but don't remember much.

South west there is Meadowcroft which might be the earliest known site of people in North America.

For more forts there is Presque Isle in Erie and you could see the lake but thats probably way out of your way. (I'm also not sure what else there is up north)

Going back to the city, you might want to go to Phipps Conservatory if you like flowers or the Mattress Factory and the Andy Warhol Museum if you like (modern) art. There's also the Heinz History Center which focuses on local history. When you say Primanti's I'm assuming you mean in the strip district because the others I went to, especially in stadiums, don't compare. Also when you mention Mount Washington I suggest taking the Incline. You might want to go on the Gateway Clipper or another boat to see the city from the river. If they are doing tours at the time, I'd suggest going to the Cathedral of Learning which is part of Pitt. For more history, I'd heavily suggest the Frick House which would give a good view of the way guys like Frick, Carnegie, Mellon and other industry leaders lived and the impact they made.

Also if you want to see more nature I'd recommend looking up Pennsylvania State Parks (or possibly West Virginia or Maryland if you want to go a bit out of your way). if had time and liked to hike, there's the north country trail which goes through a bunch of these parks

Well thats all just stuff I have done not including other seasonal stuff so there's plenty more to do.

Last edited by Mischa: 07-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Mount Washington
Pittzburgh Zoo
USS Requin
Station Square
Fort Pitt Museum
Market Square
Sports Museum
Primanti Bro's.
National Aviary

For Civil War, is driving to Gettysburg/Antietam feasible for you? I've honestly never been to either of those myself, but I'd like to go one of these days.

Kennywood phantom fright nights may be fun, as well as other Halloween/Harvest type events.

If it's early October, a hike in Ohiopyle would be fun. You could then visit Falling Water or Kentuck Knob which are nearby.

If you're a foodie, Pittsburgh actually has a pretty underrated food scene.

Closed Thread